Forums / Community / Halo Universe

[Locked] Why were Fred and Linda wearing their H5: G armor?

OP TRUe REDEMPTI0N

In one of the terminals for Halo 2 Anniversary, we get to see Fred and Linda talk to the council of ONI about the Unyielding Hierophant. Yet, Fred is and wearing their Centurion and Argus armor. Why are they wearing this armor? Is it to get casuals familiar with them in their armor before Halo 5: Guardians so they aren't confused? I guess you can argue that since it's been noted that he was testing Centurion armor, but really it happens to look exactly like the armor he's going to be wearing in the game? Also, Linda is wearing Argus GEN 1 armor that is customized exactly like how she has it in 2558? Do you kinda take annoyance with this?
I would presume that their armour had been retconned in the earlier media to be wearing Centurion and Argus.

Though it is entirely possible that once Fred and Linda made it back to Earth, they got new armour immediately. This could easily be kept in canon with other media, as the Ghosts of Onyx cover could be featuring Will and Kelly, while Fred and Linda are wearing their new sets, respectively.

Though I honestly just think that they retconned the old armour and gave Blue Team their custom armour earlier then we thought.
In one of the terminals for Halo 2 Anniversary, we get to see Fred and Linda talk to the council of ONI about the Unyielding Hierophant. Yet, Fred is and wearing their Centurion and Argus armor. Why are they wearing this armor? Is it to get casuals familiar with them in their armor before Halo 5: Guardians so they aren't confused? I guess you can argue that since it's been noted that he was testing Centurion armor, but really it happens to look exactly like the armor he's going to be wearing in the game? Also, Linda is wearing Argus GEN 1 armor that is customized exactly like how she has it in 2558? Do you kinda take annoyance with this?
Basically this. The same logic applies to the fact that though he was with them during that time period in canon, Will-043 wasn't featured in the terminal scene. It's a minor visual discrepancy that I think can be looked over without too much fuss. The same way how in the 'Halo 4' prologue sequence you see all the Spartan-IIs wearing Mk.VI armor, even though that's not accurate to canon. I don't think it's meant to be taken as a concrete representation.
I imagine that Fred canonically wore the Mark VI iteration of Centurion at the time, with Linda perhaps wearing the Mark VI version of Argus. Kelly wore the standard Mark V at the time (October 2552) due to her abduction in First Strike. This indicates that Will is the Mark VI-clad Spartan on the cover of Ghosts of Onyx.
Well Fred has the easiest answer for this. When you look at his Halo Universe article
For Fred
Quote:
Upon moving to the Mk VI platform, he began field testing multiple variants of CENTURION-class MJOLNIR, including the incorporation of various prototype elements that formed the basis of the GEN2 platform.
For Linda I assume the same exact reason or something similar.
Isn't the canonical explanation that they were beta testing components for the Gen II. I hope it's not, i mean.... why didn't chief get a Gen II suit and why are they already testing a Gen II for Mk 6 when it was literally just introduced?
Basically this. The same logic applies to the fact that though he was with them during that time period in canon, Will-043 wasn't featured in the terminal scene. It's a minor visual discrepancy that I think can be looked over without too much fuss. The same way how in the 'Halo 4' prologue sequence you see all the Spartan-IIs wearing Mk.VI armor, even though that's not accurate to canon. I don't think it's meant to be taken as a concrete representation.
I'm going with this explanation. I like to think that they wore Mark VI-looking suits and that Will was there, but the presentation had to be dumbed down for lore casuals.
As someone above noted it says in the universe section

THEY WERE BETA TESTING THE GEN II ARMOUR.

Which makes perfect sense to me who else better to test it

hope that helps :)
It should also be noted that Jai was also wearing Gen II armor in a terminal. Hmmmm
dajhier1 wrote:
It should also be noted that Jai was also wearing Gen II armor in a terminal. Hmmmm
Jai was wearing the armor that appeared on the cover of Cole Protocol which was a rather appropriate touch. What gives it a Gen II impression?
As someone above noted it says in the universe section

THEY WERE BETA TESTING THE GEN II ARMOUR.

Which makes perfect sense to me who else better to test it

hope that helps :)
why wasn't chief chosen to beta test it? You'd think they would give it to Chief to try it out being the most important spartan and all. Why just Fred and Linda? More importantly, why were they beta testing an armor that just literally came out. You'd think they would wait a little bit?
dajhier1 wrote:
Jai was wearing the armor that appeared on the cover of Cole Protocol which was a rather appropriate touch. What gives it a Gen II impression?
Jai's armor in the terminals is not the same as on the cover of TCP. It's similar and clearly modeled after it, but it's got more Gen2-like traits. The forearms are less bulky and complex, the chest and the backpack are more streamlined and almost identical to the GEN2 Recruit, and the bodysuit is a lot more GEN2-like.
Couldn't they just have had Fred wearing this variant of the Centurion armor instead of the one he's wearing now.
I like to think they were wearing baseline Mark VI suits, but with those H5: G helmets (because they look so awesome).
Query Answer: Human records indicate [loci in question?] [exploratii] combat skins follow [spiral development] path.
Quote:
Query Answer: Human records indicate [loci in question?] [exploratii] combat skins follow [spiral development] path.
So, it's like a car's yearly design change?
Perhaps chief was considered too high on the MVP scale to be given beta gear. I mean Crome on how stupid would you look if you lost your most valuable asset to a bad gasket on a system that haven't been tested? Along with a laundry list of other things that could go wrong. And perhaps as far as the small changes here and there like Jeep they run a design for ten years making minor improvements and then wham total overhaul. Because they've had ten years to work the bugs outa the new design
Please don't revive old topics, thanks.