Skip to main content

Forums / Community / Halo Universe

[Locked] Why were no Forerunners preserved?

OP BigLanceLS

The Librarian went to great pains to preserve each of the species in their universe for repopulation after the halo array was fired. Before Cryptum came out, I had assumed humans were Forerunners. 343 GS even mistakes MC as a Forerunner. Now that we know humans are not Forerunner, I can't help but wonder why the Librarian didn't preserve any of her own species. I have fleshed out a couple theories, but am curious what others think.
Who says Forerunners didn't survive? All we know is that we haven't stumbled across any of them so far!
Quote:
Who says Forerunners didn't survive? All we know is that we haven't stumbled across any of them so far!
I suppose. I guess we will better understand after the Forerunnr novels are done, but that won't be for a few years.
If the Librarian preserved her own people, wouldn't she have stacked the technological deck in their favor to maintain the Forerunner's role as the administrators of the universe?
I don't believe any Forerunners were preserved.
that is a good idea, never thought of that, heck its better than thnking of a flat bottomed taco.....
Either the next big Halo reveals some rich story on it, or the novel Halo: Cryptom will answer your question.
Since nobody else has speculated, I'll give my theory about why there are no Forerunners in the 26th century Halo universe:
I believe the Librarian chose not to preserve Forerunners, instead, passing on the Mantle to the Humans in the post-Flood universe. In Cryptum, Humans are portrayed in a fairly positive light- a noble and innocent species. The Foreruuners, on the other hand, are somewhat portrayed as abusive of the Mantle they have assumed ie- devolving the humans etc. So rather than perpetuate a social order the Librarian views as corrupt, she makes the Forerunner tech responsive to only Humans as part of passing the Mantle.
I've been considering purchasing Halo: Cryptum.

Is it a good read?
Quote:

Is it a good read?
Definitely. In my opinion, it was a little slow in the beginning, but by the end I couldn't put it down.
Quote:
Quote:

Is it a good read?
Definitely. In my opinion, it was a little slow in the beginning, but by the end I couldn't put it down.
Good! I'll have to check it out.
Quote:

Is it a good read?
Definitely worth reading, however, it helps to understand the purpose of the Forerunner books before you get into it.
The Halo novels are all action adventure with the focus on battles, weapons, technology and alliances. The Forerunner novels are not action adventure. At first I was disappointed because Cryptum doesn't resemble the literary style we know and love from the rest of the Halo books. However, I listened to the 343 podcast with Greg Bear after reading the book and it helped me better appreciate Cryptum. Cryptum isn't a story about an epic battle between two technological powerhouses. It is a character driven story that tells us about the Forerunners and their society. Eventually, we will get to the firing of the Halo array, but Cryptum is a good start.
Quote:
Quote:

Is it a good read?
Definitely worth reading, however, it helps to understand the purpose of the Forerunner books before you get into it. The Halo novels are all action adventure with the focus on battles, weapons, technology and alliances. The Forerunner novels are not action adventure. At first I was disappointed because Cryptum doesn't resemble the literary style we know and love from the rest of the Halo books. However, I listened to the 343 podcast with Greg Bear after reading the book and it helped me better appreciate Cryptum. Cryptum isn't a story about an epic battle between two technological powerhouses. It is a character driven story that tells us about the Forerunners and their society. Eventually, we will get to the firing of the Halo array, but Cryptum is a good start.
For visual reference, you can also watch Halo Legends: Origins I, and II. Although the book will have more detail, those were the best episodes in the collection!
Quote:

Is it a good read?
I couldn't put it down. Probably my favorite Halo novel with the possible exception of Contact Harvest.
Perhaps she considered that they shouldn't survive because of what they did to the Precursors.
Quote:
Perhaps she considered that they shouldn't survive because of what they did to the Precursors.
What did they do to the Precursors? They killed them off, but we don't really know the circumstances do we?
Quote:
Quote:
What did they do to the Precursors? They killed them off, but we don't really know the circumstances do we?
Nope, I'm just suggesting that may be a reason why the Forerunner race wasn't preserved.

Perhaps they were and they haven't been found yet.
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Nope, I'm just suggesting that may be a reason why the Forerunner race wasn't preserved.

Perhaps they were and they haven't been found yet.
Okay. Good thought.
I've not read the book yet but I need to ask in case anyone knows...

If humans aren't Forerunners then why does all their technology respond to us and no other species (all of whom I assume were also preserved by them)?

Furthermore why in Contact Harvest does the Prophets Forerunner radar go crazy for humans?
From what I can recall and I may be wrong…

Cryptum fill in a lot so it you want to ready it, I’d stop reading now…

The humans were almost as advanced as the Forerunners, they were in a alliance with the ‘Profits’ and went about colonising worlds. I think there were 30,000.

They found a ship from outside our galaxy that has jars of powder on it. This protein was introduced to their pets as it made them calm, obedient and more loving.

This eventually mutated into the Flood and the Humans and the Profits went to war with the Flood and pulled back into Forerunner space. They actually captured a few Forerunner worlds. This caused a war between the Humans/Profits and the Forerunners.

There humans found a chemical way of stopping the flood but this meant that a lot more people had to die to stop the flood’s advance. So the humans were fighting a war with the Flood and the Forerunners at the same time.

The Humans killed of what was left of the flood but this decimated them and the Forerunners quickly ended the war as there was little resistance. As there was no Flood to be seen the Forerunners thought the humans were lying and it was just a war of expansion.

The Forerunners quarantined the Profits solar system. The Humans though had all of their colonies destroyed, their entire tech destroyed and they were isolated to only one planet (what we call earth now) the raise was also de-evolved as the final blow.

So why can we use their stuff?

Well Forerunners did eventually come into contact with the Flood. See Halo Legends Origins 1 & 2 for that story. At the end of it all they Forerunners decided that Humans should be the ones to look after the Mantel after Forerunners were gone and made it that Humans could use Forerunners tech.

The Forerunners constructs see humans as ‘Reclaimers’ the ones that will inherit the Forerunners tech and responsibility of the Mantel and dealing with the Flood.

Contact Harvest. Is a great book and deals with how the Humans (modern day in Halo timeline) and a mistake the Covenant made in reading the Forerunners Glyphs.

The Covenant found Harvest and thought it was a world of treasure as all there displays were showing thousands of ‘Relics’ the scanners were actually showing thousands of Humans/Reclaimers.

They part where Bias ‘wakes’ up in ‘Contact Harvest’ and basically tells the soon to be head profits that they are ‘getting it wrong’ is great. I had a good laugh at that one.

This throw one huge spanner into the Covenant religion and well the rest is history…

So why are there no Forerunners? That’s not really been covered totally. I can recall reading that for their crimes against the Mantel making and using the Halos that they decided that as a fitting punishment they would not be saved from the Halo event.

Others have said that they flew out of the galaxy and we might see them in future Halo novels or games but who knows.

I have to say the books are really amazing and opened up a huge world other than the what the game gleams on. If you don’t like reading (I’m dyslexic so it takes me ages to read anything) there are the Audio books so you can get to see what went on in all its details.
Survivor's guilt would take a pretty huge chunk off the population. There would also be those who thought their race had done wrong and deserved to die out, letting a new superior species develop in their wake. Those who remained (if any) would either be hidden in remote Shield Worlds or chilling in some other galaxy. We could conceivably see Forerunners in Halo 4, though it would be very difficult to integrate them without destroying their mystique.