Forums / Community / Halo Universe

Why were the Halo rings made inhabitable?

OP GabeMessamore

If the whole point of the Halo rings was to be a superweapon to wipe out the floods food then why were they made inhabitable if they would just kill everything even on the ring?
If the whole point of the Halo rings was to be a superweapon to wipe out the floods food then why were they made inhabitable if they would just kill everything even on the ring?
If I recall correctly when a halo pulse goes off it affects everything other then who resides on the ring at that moment
If I recall correctly when a halo pulse goes off it affects everything other then who resides on the ring at that moment
If that were the case, then it would be pontless to fire the Ring in Halo CE like spark tried. But im not sure why someone could live on a Halo.
If that were the case, then it would be pontless to fire the Ring in Halo CE like spark tried. But im not sure why someone could live on a Halo.
Yeah because even if it were activated there was still a bunch of flood and covenant on the ring as well as chief. And the way Cortana freaked out made it seem like it would’ve killed him too if he had activated it.
Yeah because even if it were activated there was still a bunch of flood and covenant on the ring as well as chief. And the way Cortana freaked out made it seem like it would’ve killed him too if he had activated it.
The rings having biospheres and being inhabitable was a Builder's move to won the Lifeworkers' and Ecumene Council's support in their political war against the Warrior-Servants, and don't break the Mantle's tenets
Ummmm just going to point out that the word you are looking for is habitable as if it was inhabitable then it would not support life
smasher555 wrote:
Ummmm just going to point out that the word you are looking for is habitable as if it was inhabitable then it would not support life
The actually both mean suitable for life. Uninhabitable means it’s wouldnt support life.
UrDidact27 wrote:
The rings having biospheres and being inhabitable was a Builder's move to won the Lifeworkers' and Ecumene Council's support in their political war against the Warrior-Servants, and don't break the Mantle's tenets
I have no clue as to what any of this is lol. The only lore I get is from the games. I’ve never gotten into the extended lore material, minus Foreword unto dawn.
I am rereading the Forerunner trilogy right now.

A deal was struck between the Librarian and the Masterbuilder ( Forerunner who pushed for the creation of the Halos). The Librarian and eventually the Masterbuilder used the installations as research stations for humanity to study and find the cure to the Flood.
Rings had seed vaults of life on them essentially to be used for reseeding the galaxy with organic life after the flood were wiped out. 343 guilty spark comments that keeping flood samples on Halo 1’s installation may have been a mistake / error in judgement etc.
Rings had seed vaults of life on them essentially to be used for reseeding the galaxy with organic life after the flood were wiped out. 343 guilty spark comments that keeping flood samples on Halo 1’s installation may have been a mistake etc.
I'm not sure it was a mistake by the Librarian. This may just be a flaw in 343's compartmentalization of info. The Librarian had to continue study and testing of the flood because they theorized that the Flood had an extragalactic origin and would likely return again to the galaxy. It was essentially a necessity for future generations.

They figured the Halos' activation would only be a way to buy time long term.
UrDidact27 wrote:
I have no clue as to what any of this is lol. The only lore I get is from the games. I’ve never gotten into the extended lore material, minus Foreword unto dawn.
Basically in forerunner society:
  • Builders built everything (obviously) and were generally the highest class of society
  • Life workers / life shapers were their doctors and biologists
  • Warrior servants = solders
  • Engineers and miners didn't matter
To get approval to make the Halo weapons, the builders had to agree to have them host life for the life-shapers / life workers. Basically builder class got a coalition gov. with the life worker class on the forerunner council and got a majority approval to build whatever they wanted, in this case Halo rings.
In Halo Primordium we are introduced to humans who were on a Halo when it was used to purged the San Shyuum's homeworlds of life, so we know the Halos can be fired without killing their occupants. But based on other evidence such as what Guilty Spark says on Alpha Halo, it does appear that a Halo can fire in such a way as to affect its own occupants.

With that clarification in place, the others are correct that the Halos were made to double as safe havens due to a political dispute among the Forerunners over what does or doesn't contradict the Mantle of Responsibility.
Halo's were created as a both a shield from The Flood by housing entire populations within themselves along with research facilities to probe for immunity against the Flood while also acting as a sword capable of killing all lifeforms of sufficient intelligence,calcium deposits, and a central nervous system.
It's been confirmed by 343i (don't remember where or when, but there was an interview with Frank O'Connor I believe that discussed this exact issue) that being on a Halo ring does not protect you from the Halo's pulse. It was a deal struck between the Librarian and Master Builder and was part of the Librarian's Conservation Measure so that she could safely move several specimens to the Ark for preservation.
It's been confirmed by 343i (don't remember where or when, but there was an interview with Frank O'Connor I believe that discussed this exact issue) that being on a Halo ring does not protect you from the Halo's pulse. It was a deal struck between the Librarian and Master Builder and was part of the Librarian's Conservation Measure so that she could safely move several specimens to the Ark for preservation.
I have a fuzzy detail of that exchange but don't remember the fine print, at the least beings would be indexed on a ring to later be released from stasis or reconstructed from DNA samples .

In Halo 2 343GS noted how a "tactical pulse" was being prepared so there seems to be different methods of firing.
I think to the general point, there is of course the answer that they made them habitable because they could. We're talking about a civilisation of practically infinite resource and capability. Maybe they just enjoyed making ring worlds. Surely on top of that they needed to be habitable at some point. The Control Room, Library, and all other buildings were built for a purpose dependent upon being habitable. No point in having portals if no one can walk around to read them. Sure, they could have had all of these things without the habitable world to house them, but where's the fun in that when you can build like a deity?
They had seed banks to reseed the galaxy after the halo pulse. They would then grow a new population on the halo's and reseed the galaxy.
The rings had ecosystems on them so that they could also store specimens like the ark. They were made like that because of the librarian's conservation measure
Well, since you need a living breathing reclaimer (human) to activate the ring, it would probably be best if they could well... survive on the place they have to go to.