Forums / Community / Halo Universe

Will infinite better the lore or worsen it?

OP destroyer2367

Do you guys think infinite will be good for the halo lore?
Yes i think it will be although it will be interesting to see how there gonna do it because from the looks of the trailer alot of -Yoink- has happened in between guardians and infinite
Discarding Blue Team and Osiris in favor of a Combat Evolved remix will not salvage this dumpster fire. It's also all but guaranteed there will be a cop-out/retcons for Cortana slaughtering millions -- sorry, having a difference of opinion.

This is the second time the Reclaimer Saga will be rebooted in three games -- let that sink in.
As PG said, it'll be interesting to see how they're going to bridge 5 and Infinite. There's going to be a lot of exposition or it'll be dumbed down to "we've been running." We don't even have any novels filling in the pieces. I doubt we'll get any if they're still in the mind of not relying on the books to tell the story.

I wonder if the trailer/opening will spark a "Chief, what just happened?" and the first quarter or half of the game will be you playing through Chief catching Beardface up on what's been going down. Then the rest of the game, after the debriefing, will be carrying on from there to take down Cortana.
The only ending I will accept from Halo INFINITE if its the ending of the Reclaimer Saga is Cortana's FINAL Death. There is no acceptable ending where she gets off scott free after everything she has done. John vouches for her, please... the lives of millions don't outweigh one AI who got drunk on power after drinking from the cool aid, otherwise known as the domain.

I still stand by the fact bringing back Cortana in ANY form after her death in Halo 4 was a disservice to the character. I don't care if the Cortana in H5G was rampant, evil, fragment, logic plague victim or (insert other fan theory). Cortana's story ended in Halo 4 and it was honestly a good way to say farewell to a beloved character many of us have been with in since 2001.

Unfortunately as many of us know, time is the great killer of artiticial intelligence and Cortana's story was always going to end. I was honestly surprised 343i was able to send off Serina albeit in a comic, but they followed through with it in the end. Outside of a voice recording at the start of HW2, Serina was now gone and that was the treatment Cortana deserved after Halo 4.

Gone, but never forgotten.

Of course there is the theory John has another or new Cortana and that is just... ugh.

I personally am cautiously optimistic whether the lore will suffer or not until more of its story is revealed.
The pattern would currently indicate that it will be worsened.
I think that Infinite will benefit the lore, mainly because it seems to be returning to Halo's roots from what we've seen in the trailers. That is as long as they don't bring Johnson back as some sort of evil-flood creature villain thing. We don't need that.
I think they will only focus on Chief and Cortana,which is honestly getting annoying for me.Cortana should have stayed dead in Halo 4
Ryan1319 wrote:
Yes i think it will be although it will be interesting to see how there gonna do it because from the looks of the trailer alot of -Yoink- has happened in between guardians and infinite
Like what?
I think 343 can pull it off. After 5’s disaster they’ve done nothing but good for the community and I believe they’ll see it through well. I have countless thoughts of what they could do as well as hopes of what I would like them to do for fan service.
I sit alot wrote:
Ryan1319 wrote:
Like what?
like a massive battle resulting in another destroyed halo
Ryan1319 wrote:
I sit alot wrote:
Ryan1319 wrote:
Like what?
like a massive battle resulting in another destroyed halo
Yeah, I guess that’s what happened..I was lost and had no idea what that meant. Wouldn’t have thought they’d have us miss something that big. Or not be apart of it.
I am very curious. We have very different fanbases because Halo has expaneded so much.

There are those of us who are into the lore, who rabidly devour each book and novel, those who only play online multiplayer, people who prefer the original trilogy and got kinda lost with 4 and 5.

I really want to know how the reconcile it but reward all the different fanbases. My bet is that it'll be a straightforward story, and hanging plot points from Guardians may indeed be wrapped up in the novels released prior to Infinite to "satisfy" the lore fans. Or, they will be background plot points that are resolved in the game but will only be noticed by those invested in the lore.

For example...I was replaying Halo Wars 2. And I saw that we start at the Henry Lamb Research Base. I had just read Hunters in the Dark, so that was really a cool "treat" for me, understanding who Henry Lamb was and his legacy on the research on the Ark. But it took nothing away from the game and had no effect on new players who don't have that context.

So I think that is what they'll strive for. Extra rewards for keen-eyed fans who are invested in the lore, but don't make the extra knowledge mandatory to enjoying the story.
Just retcon halo 4 and 5 is about the only way for them to salvage it at this point..

Edit: And those awful Karen Travis books, please God.
I mena its hard to say not knowing anything from infinite yet... but I hope they better it, they expand in it and show maybe some more of the ONI and UNSC being bad in the universe on how they lie and hide things from people, an insurrection would be amazing having spartans fight each other in defence or ofence of ONI and the UNSC, while having to still fight Cortana and the Foreruners
If 343 takes off the training-wheels and decides to actually take the plunge and do something compelling, for once: yes.
If they faff around and only pay lipservice to the fact that they own this franchise, like they have been: no.

343's biggest problem is their crippling lack of confidence in their abilities. In each story, game, and comic they've cranked out, thus far: very few pieces have actually impacted the canon in any meaningful way. And even then, almost always in ways that they knew for certain would please the fanbase. 343 should be more willing to take risks with the property. The Banished were very quickly put on-ice after their debut, because 343's cowardice stops them from doing anything substantial with the faction.