Forums / Community / Halo Universe

WILL WE SEE 343 GUILTY SPARK AGAIN?

OP XZGABO177

1. 1
  2. ...
  3. 2
  4. ...
  5. 3
I don't think we'll see 343 guilty spark again.
I hope that he will be back so we can make him pay hard for Jonhson death !
Now that he's in an armiger body, I think he'd be a pretty cool Player 2 option in a future game.
I think he is back as a robot, which I very much dislike >:(
He’s such an iconic character for halo even if he had a habit of betraying the chief. Id love to see him return even if he has a new casing. He has such a iconic voice.
I don't think we will see Spark again, but I would llike to see new instalation monitor
He's a major character in Halo: Renegades, and IMO his character was handled really well.
I agree
Foresstov wrote:
I don't think we will see Spark again, but I would llike to see new instalation monitor
I hope we do get a new monitor in Infinite. It’s just retarded that Spark isn’t dead or whatever. Chief killed him, he should’ve been melted when installation 08 destroyed its self.
As everyone already should know by this time in the thread, Guilty Spark is very much alive in terms of character nowadays, and his survival of the Ark makes perfect sense in terms of story. The real question is whether we will see him, along with the Ace of Spades crew, introduced as an ally in future Halo games, which I would enjoy but I very much doubt. I think it would make more sense if he stuck more strictly to the books like characters like Veta Lopis or Gray Team.
The whole point of Halo 3 was to stop the Covenant from activating the Halo rings and defeat the Flood, both battles of which were somewhat achieved. The Covenant empire was defeated and shattered into a thousand pieces, and the Flood were essentially temporarily rendered inactive following the explosion of High Charity's core. An underlying repeated piece of story was 343 GS's activation of the Ark, which Chief stopped with a spartan laser shot or 2, but that was never clarified as necessarily the complete ending for Guilty Spark as a character. If they had introduced him back with absolutely no reasoning as to how he survived or why he had been kept in the lore then sure, it would have been a poor reintroduction, but they didn't do it that way. Instead, they used the Forerunner Saga as a proper way of utilizing his survival to expand on the franchise in a productive way, leading to his account on the history of the end of the Forerunner Empire. Additionally, they brought a new sense of character to him through the novel Halo: Renegades , so he's not completely without background at this point. I think there's a lot of potential for 343 GS as a character. It just all depends on how he's used in the future.
As everyone already should know by this time in the thread, Guilty Spark is very much alive in terms of character nowadays, and his survival of the Ark makes perfect sense in terms of story. The real question is whether we will see him, along with the Ace of Spades crew, introduced as an ally in future Halo games, which I would enjoy but I very much doubt. I think it would make more sense if he stuck more strictly to the books like characters like Veta Lopis or Gray Team.
The whole point of Halo 3 was to stop the Covenant from activating the Halo rings and defeat the Flood, both battles of which were somewhat achieved. The Covenant empire was defeated and shattered into a thousand pieces, and the Flood were essentially temporarily rendered inactive following the explosion of High Charity's core. An underlying repeated piece of story was 343 GS's activation of the Ark, which Chief stopped with a spartan laser shot or 2, but that was never clarified as necessarily the complete ending for Guilty Spark as a character. If they had introduced him back with absolutely no reasoning as to how he survived or why he had been kept in the lore then sure, it would have been a poor reintroduction, but they didn't do it that way. Instead, they used the Forerunner Saga as a proper way of utilizing his survival to expand on the franchise in a productive way, leading to his account on the history of the end of the Forerunner Empire. Additionally, they brought a new sense of character to him through the novel Halo: Renegades , so he's not completely without background at this point. I think there's a lot of potential for 343 GS as a character. It just all depends on how he's used in the future.
I don't like that he is alive. he should have been dead. it is dumb IMO.

>:(

I would agree with you... if 343 Industries simply revived him and did nothing else.

As it stands, I think a great deal of depth has been added to his character since his revival. Guilty Spark was a serviceable character in the OT, but also very one-note.
343 Industries has ensured that the impact of his death in Halo 3 is still retained while also making him a more fleshed out character.

I really think people should give his story-line in the Forerunner trilogy, and Renegades a shot before simply jumping to the 'being revived is bad' angle.
tL Armada wrote:

I would agree with you... if 343 Industries simply revived him and did nothing else.

As it stands, I think a great deal of depth has been added to his character since his revival. Guilty Spark was a serviceable character in the OT, but also very one-note.
343 Industries has ensured that the impact of his death in Halo 3 is still retained while also making him a more fleshed out character.

I really think people should give his story-line in the Forerunner trilogy, and Renegades a shot before simply jumping to the 'being revived is bad' angle.
but, he was destroyed by a spartan laser and then the ring exploded.... he dead
tL Armada wrote:

but, he was destroyed by a spartan laser and then the ring exploded.... he dead
Except, while his consciousness was originally transferred into a monitor form by Bornstellar, he technically became a sophisticated AI, capable of transporting his data between pieces of technology. Not to mention the ring exploded, but not the entire ring, so chunks were still located across the Ark when the Rubicon crew was sent to explore and take record. According to the lore surrounding that investigation from Rubicon, fragments of 343GS along with a data core were located, allowing him to survive. As stated before, the game made it seem as if 343GS had died because people were under the implemented assumption that 343GS was only attached to the monitor form and once the monitor form was destroyed so was 343GS. The problem with that is that while the monitor form was blown up by the splaser, we didn't actually get a opportunity to see if their were any fragmented remains that could be recovered, primarily because we didn't take interest as he was considered a villain from the perspective of the characters we were portrayed as. So the way I look at it is that 343 provided plenty of fair backstory and reasoning as to why 343GS was allowed to survive. Bungie had killed off 343GS as a villain because up to that point he had been a villain, and more importantly, at the time of Halo 3's release Bungie had developed its story with the intention that it would be the last Halo campaign in terms of the franchise's chronological ending, so defeating all the highlighted antagonists just made sense in terms of heroic story design. But after Microsoft's decision to keep the franchise going and pass development off to 343i, it was clear that the developers couldn't just act like Halo 3 had never happened. They still needed a way to preserve the continuation of the Flood, the Covenant enemy types (hence the Banished and splinter factions), and other various pieces of important or potential story, which happened to include 343GS. So what do they do? Well, they utilize logical backstory to maintain the presence of those important story components, while still acknowledging the events of Halo 3 within the overarching timeline and impacts.
343 GS was killed towards the end of H3.
unless they somehow write him into recovery/have some back up it would still be some insane fictional ressurrction as it would nullify what previously happened to him or just lessen the effect because reviving the character would just dismiss what happened to him in the precious game

the time and effort hypothetically spend ressurecting an already known character could have been used to introduce a new monitor instead
pudsqueak2 wrote:
unless they somehow write him into recovery/have some back up it would still be some insane fictional ressurrction as it would nullify what previously happened to him or just lessen the effect because reviving the character would just dismiss what happened to him in the precious game

the time and effort hypothetically spend ressurecting an already known character could have been used to introduce a new monitor instead
They already did it and it is kinda dumb
I'll play devil's advocate and say that Johnson surviving after Halo Combat Evolved seems farfetched as well for anyone who hasn't read the Graphic Novel and First Strike. The last we see of him in the games is the video recording where he, Keyes, and other marines are attacked and overwhelmed by the Flood. Fast forward to Halo 2 and miraculously this man has defied the odds and somehow survived when it was suspected that no one from the PoA had made it out sans the Chief and Cortana.

343 Guilty Spark's final conflict with the Chief in Halo 3 appeared like it should have decisively resolved the former's story and sent him off. Having said that, his status as an advanced intelligence derived from the technology of the Forerunners does arguably give wiggle room for survival. Is it appropriate considering all that Bungie offered to embellish and set up his death? You could argue "no". I'm just saying that the logical mechanics for it exist.

To answer the original question, I doubt it. Spark's personal plot seems to be intertwined with Rion Forge's right now and he's set to appear in another book with her, Point of Light.
Spark is a very interesting character to say the least. I've lost count of how many times that little light bulb has changed sides, either willingly or unwillingly. Last we heard, he was with the Ace of Spades crew trying to find the Librarian (it's been a while so I figured I don't need the spoiler tag).

Tbh though, I'd kinda rather he stick to the EU material from this point forward. So much has happened to him between his last appearance in a game and his latest appearance that it would be tough to reintroduce him, even for fans that are more than just casually familiar with the extended lore.

For the most part I've viewed the games as the skeleton on which the extended lore is built. The game CE and the book The Flood are actually really good examples of that. The game story should be fairly simple and easy to follow (and extremely fun) while the rest of the EU material fills in the gaps and provides additional context.
I agree with you, it should stay within the EU.
pudsqueak2 wrote:

Incredible how many people continue to be unaware of plot developments that happened years ago.
Oh boy, this thread didn't age well haha:
https://www.halowaypoint.com/en-us/news/point-taken

343 GS will be back in the Halo: Point of Light novel :)
I'm not sure the halo 5 legendary ending has his trademark humming. So I guess so.
The one who hums is Cortana in that scene, it seems to me that 343 Guilt Spark is well roasted
  1. 1
  2. ...
  3. 2
  4. ...
  5. 3