Forums / Community / Halo Universe

Would Humanity try to control the Halo rings?

OP LbonB312

As hinted in Halo 4, Del Rio said scientists would have outposts to study and potentially disarm the ringworlds, but what if there was a more sinister truth? Replaying Mass Effect 3 made me think more on this.
Imo, I think most of humanity (that knows about the Halos) are rightfully wary about using or waking it up. But when it comes to ONI, well, I think at that point all bets are off.
Imo, I think most of humanity (that knows about the Halos) are rightfully wary about using or waking it up. But when it comes to ONI, well, I think at that point all bets are off.
That's not that's true. ONI has spent considerable resources trying to care for the Halos and preserve sentient life through out the galaxy. I have seen nothing to support your opinion in which ONI could maybe use the Halos to threaten someone they don't like.
That's not that's true. ONI has spent considerable resources trying to care for the Halos and preserve sentient life through out the galaxy. I have seen nothing to support your opinion in which ONI could maybe use the Halos to threaten someone they don't like.
It’s not about “someone they don’t like”, it’s more along the lines of a nuclear deterrent to species and factions that would pose a similar threat to humanity as the covenant did. Our world changed almost entirely once the idea that a single nation could practically vaporize another into submission. Throw numerous other sentient species and galactic superweapons into the mix, and we are just asking for new opportunities.
Control them? Absolutely. Use them? No, I don't think so at all.

Using the Halo rings would require either wiping out all life, or advancing the human race's technological understanding by hundreds of thousands of years worth of experience (Forerunner levels of understanding) in order to focus the rings and/or escape their omni-directional firing. Just because humanity would like to control the rings, does not mean they want to use them, or even have them around as a threat. It may just be that they want no one else to be able to kidnap a human and be able to activate a galaxy-wide purge of life.

...ONI shouldn't be trusted though :p
The Kilo-5 trilogy would like to have a word with you.
LbonB312 wrote:
As hinted in Halo 4, Del Rio said scientists would have outposts to study and potentially disarm the ringworlds, but what if there was a more sinister truth? Replaying Mass Effect 3 made me think more on this.
Definitely. ONI were the organization that developed grain to wipe out the Sangheili, and a virus that could kill Kig-Yar. They are the organization that was responsible for the Blooding Years which destablised ex-Covenant space, give rise to all these warlords through a weakened Swords of Sanghelios and cut Sanghelios' population from 8 billion to 4 billion in the space of five years. You could bet all the money you have that they are looking into ways of firing those rings in a tight beam or across just a single solar system, and they probably already know because the Monitors and purebred Huragok don't seem all that likely to withhold the information from them.
Truthfully, I think there are a lot of tinhat innie lovers in here. There is a huge difference between bio/chem/food borne warfare and the complete annihilation of all sentient species.

ONI is sinister but they are not stupid.
Truthfully, I think there are a lot of tinhat innie lovers in here. There is a huge difference between bio/chem/food borne warfare and the complete annihilation of all sentient species.

There's also a difference between parallel beams, fields with diameters on the order of astronomical units and then the case of fields with diameters on the order of galactic radii, the latter of which wouldn't be too useful.

There's nothing stupid about having a way to excise the competition cleanly and effectively, with no way to stop it, tucked up one's sleeve.
anton1792 wrote:

There's also a difference between parallel beams, fields with diameters on the order of astronomical units and then the case of fields with diameters on the order of galactic radii, the latter of which wouldn't be too useful.

There's nothing stupid about having a way to excise the competition cleanly and effectively, with no way to stop it, tucked up one's sleeve.
Pretty sure Halo arrays dont work like that. At least, not to that level of tactical viability. You can cleanly wipe out a system, but the Halo has to be IN the system, and that requires a Forerunner portal network, which, at the moment, is gone. Assuming security protocols wouldn't instantly trigger and destroy the instillation if you tried to move it without proper authorization.
To know the Lore is to know Halo
"Dont be spoiled, dont start a fight. Always be careful, here at night. Because the Spartans might come, in suits that weigh half a ton. And they'll steal from you all you gots, just like they did from Colonel Watts."
anton1792 wrote:

Pretty sure Halo arrays dont work like that. At least, not to that level of tactical viability. You can cleanly wipe out a system, but the Halo has to be IN the system, and that requires a Forerunner portal network, which, at the moment, is gone. Assuming security protocols wouldn't instantly trigger and destroy the instillation if you tried to move it without proper authorization.
Omega Halo wiped the Path Kathona galaxy clean of Precursor relics by firing a parallel beam with non-dispersive properties. They are the Holy Grail of galaxy guns.

ONI have access to a Forerunner portal on Earth so they can reroute the Rings through Sol when transferring them between destinations, but with an interstellar sniper rifle function on the Rings they don't really need to do this.

And why would Reclaimers not have the authority to move or fire a Halo Ring? Especially considering that there was sweet FA Guilty Spark could do about the activation of his replacement Ring in Halo 3 other than shout loudly and shoot a red laser beam. It's a baseless thing to propose tbh.
anton1792 wrote:
anton1792 wrote:

Omega Halo wiped the Path Kathona galaxy clean of Precursor relics by firing a parallel beam with non-dispersive properties. They are the Holy Grail of galaxy guns.

ONI have access to a Forerunner portal on Earth so they can reroute the Rings through Sol when transferring them between destinations, but with an interstellar sniper rifle function on the Rings they don't really need to do this.

And why would Reclaimers not have the authority to move or fire a Halo Ring? Especially considering that there was sweet FA Guilty Spark could do about the activation of his replacement Ring in Halo 3 other than shout loudly and shoot a red laser beam. It's a baseless thing to propose tbh.
Omega Halo was the last of the original 12 rings. They operated differently. The current 7 are wide-dispersal annihilation weapons only.
I don't think the Portal on Earth can handle an entire Halo instillation. Remember, those mothers are 10,000 KM wide. The Voi portal is well short of that.
As for authority, remember; the activation of 08/04B was in relation to the well and present threat of the Flood upon both the ring itself and the Ark. You cant just willy-nilly trigger a Halo.
"Dont be spoiled, dont start a fight. Always be careful, here at night. Because the Spartans might come, in suits that weigh half a ton. And they'll steal from you all you gots, just like they did from Colonel Watts."
Omega Halo was the last of the original 12 rings. They operated differently. The current 7 are wide-dispersal annihilation weapons only.
How do you know they operate differently? If the newer generation of Halo Rings were less sophisticated and tactically flexible than their older generations then I'd like to see a source because that's not quite what we'd expect from a newer class of Rings.

Quote:
I don't think the Portal on Earth can handle an entire Halo instillation. Remember, those mothers are 10,000 KM wide. The Voi portal is well short of that.
The slip-space portal isn't the same size as the structure that generates it. Voi's portal also links to the Ark's, which we know is definitely capable of transporting Halo's to any point in the galaxy. In fact, ONI could probably re-route via the Ark; it would probably be a more secure place to store the Rings than the Sol system.

Quote:
As for authority, remember; the activation of 08/04B was in relation to the well and present threat of the Flood upon both the ring itself and the Ark. You cant just willy-nilly trigger a Halo.
Where has it been mentioned that the Flood has to be present for a Reclaimer to activate a Halo Ring?
anton1792 wrote:
How do you know they operate differently? If the newer generation of Halo Rings were less sophisticated and tactically flexible than their older generations then I'd like to see a source because that's not quite what we'd expect from a newer class of Rings.

Quote:
The slip-space portal isn't the same size as the structure that generates it. Voi's portal also links to the Ark's, which we know is definitely capable of transporting Halo's to any point in the galaxy. In fact, ONI could probably re-route via the Ark; it would probably be a more secure place to store the Rings than the Sol system.

Quote:
Where has it been mentioned that the Flood has to be present for a Reclaimer to activate a Halo Ring?
The Forerunner Trilogy mentions that the original rings were bigger and intended to be far more than just weapons. That was the deal struck between the Master Builder and the Librarian.

Im still pretty sure theres limits on the size of something that can be sent through. Come to think of it, Halo's arent exactly the most stable things...they dont handle gravity wells easily. I wonder if the Halo could even survive that kind of transit.

Spark mentions protocol; the arrays are only supposed to be activated if there is a Flood outbreak. All other times they rest in standby mode. All attempted firings (via an Activation Index trigger anyway|) that we've seen so far have been in relation to an active Flood threat on or around the instillation;
04 was the Covenants release of it, 05 was the mass inside the Quarantine Zone and on High Charity, 08s was the ones Chief and Thel fought through, plus the mass of High Charity on the Ark itself. Firing from the Citadel doesnt count because thats the Citadel.

Im fairly heavily certain that standard protocol does not dictate firing the Halo if there is no reason to do so, and CERTAINLY not using it as a weapon against sentient species. See; the results of the Master Builder doing JUST THAT against the San'Shyuum.
The Forerunner Trilogy mentions that the original rings were bigger and intended to be far more than just weapons. That was the deal struck between the Master Builder and the Librarian.
I don't see how that rules out parallel beams. Again, there needs to be a citation.
Im still pretty sure theres limits on the size of something that can be sent through. Come to think of it, Halo's arent exactly the most stable things...they dont handle gravity wells easily. I wonder if the Halo could even survive that kind of transit.
The portal system is how the Halo's were dispersed from the Ark, and the larger generation of Halo could be sent through as well. If too much mass is sent through too quickly however then yes then the Portals will collapse, which is what happened when the Rings tried to flee the battle of Maethrillian when Mendicant Bias attacked it. All those Halo's trying to cram through one after the other in a tight conga line severely damaged the Portal. By when slow enough they can pass through.
Spark mentions protocol; the arrays are only supposed to be activated if there is a Flood outbreak. All other times they rest in standby mode. All attempted firings (via an Activation Index trigger anyway|) that we've seen so far have been in relation to an active Flood threat on or around the instillation;
04 was the Covenants release of it, 05 was the mass inside the Quarantine Zone and on High Charity, 08s was the ones Chief and Thel fought through, plus the mass of High Charity on the Ark itself. Firing from the Citadel doesnt count because thats the Citadel.

Im fairly heavily certain that standard protocol does not dictate firing the Halo if there is no reason to do so, and CERTAINLY not using it as a weapon against sentient species. See; the results of the Master Builder doing JUST THAT against the San'Shyuum.
Where does Spark mention this though? I mean the Master Builder was still able to fire the Ring against the San-Shyuum. Nothing stopped him. And Mendicant Bias was still able to fire a Ring to release the Primordial from its prison on Charum Hakkor.
Maybe ONI
I'd wager ONI would control them to keep the enemies of humanity in line.
Just like how the world powers of today have nukes.
anton1792 wrote:
I don't see how that rules out parallel beams. Again, there needs to be a citation.
The portal system is how the Halo's were dispersed from the Ark, and the larger generation of Halo could be sent through as well. If too much mass is sent through too quickly however then yes then the Portals will collapse, which is what happened when the Rings tried to flee the battle of Maethrillian when Mendicant Bias attacked it. All those Halo's trying to cram through one after the other in a tight conga line severely damaged the Portal. By when slow enough they can pass through.

Where does Spark mention this though? I mean the Master Builder was still able to fire the Ring against the San-Shyuum. Nothing stopped him. And Mendicant Bias was still able to fire a Ring to release the Primordial from its prison on Charum Hakkor.
Basically the newer Halo instillations were built to be wide-range only. They can't make the beam that Omega Halo did. I'll try and dig through Silentium to find out where its mentioned.

Yes but getting a 10,000km long ring into the atmosphere and into the portal (because the portal cant be projected beyond the machine there, it cant reach the atmosphere) is going to cause serious damage to it, and probably scatter continent sized-chunks across most of the planet. Assuming the entire 10,000 KM mass can fit through the opening it creates. Watch the end of The Storm, tell me how big that portal opening looks to you with all those CCS's going through it.

He doesn't say it SPECIFICALLY, Im just saying there are protocols for firing the rings. Most likely in place because the Master Builder DID EXACTLY THAT.
As seen in the short story Shadow of Intent, Halo rings can be miniaturized. I have no doubt ONI wouldn’t try to replicate it to use on Insurrectionists and Covenant splinter factions.
I wouldn't put it past ONI. Someone high up may want to control one as an act of deterrent against hostile aliens, causing the Sangheili to scramble to capture their own, creating a Ring-Race or a bloody game of Capture the Halos. But if they do end up doing this, let me just say this, they deserve the Flood!