Forums / Community / Halo Universe

Would the UNSC employe the Unggoy

OP Marinealver

1. 1
  2. ...
  3. ...
  4. 2
So someone came up with THIS as an idea for a UNSC grunt, which got me wondering, would the UNSC employ aliens within their ranks? I mean it is likely most would prefer to keep them in their crosshairs as the war has left a rather xenophobic taste in most humans mouths. But since the Unggoy aka Grunts were a slave race, is there any idea of utilizing them for labor or other UNSC projects?
I day no because we don't employ salves to the best of my knowledge, annnndddddd, the grunts run away to easy.
With ONI, it's anyone's guess. I could definitely see them pulling some black ops stuff with grunts and other species. They've hired Sangheili to run covert ops for them before, like in Escalation. But as far as any above-board military involvement, I just don't see the UNSC integrating any other species into their ranks.
I think there'd be too many inconveniences for the UNSC to consider signing them into their ranks. For one, Grunts apparently smell like vomit (I forget where I found the source of that info from, so, don't quote me on that). Secondly, Grunts flee the moment their chain of command falls a part. That being said, if a Sgt dies on the field, the Grunts will immediately fall a part and run in various directions. Third and I suppose lastly; Grunts don't breathe Oxygen, so they'd need a regular supply of Methane taken aboard ships they would be stationed on for them to refill their packs. Methane is highly flammable, how the Covenant didn't get burned up with all the shooting is beyond me, but that's a safety hazard I'm willing to bet the UNSC wouldn't consider.
It's definitely possible eventually either all species in the galaxy will have to either live in harmony with one another or kill each other off. Plus there is one instance where this sort of happening. For those who haven't read Halo Legacy of Oynx please don't read the spoiler unless you don't mind.
Spoiler:
Show
They already technically do, if the Voices of War REQ Pack is canon. In which case, they already have an Unggoy in service, technically. Just a very minor role.
At most, I think they'd fight along side UNSC troops as allies (similar to Swords of Sanghelios), but not as full-fledged members.
A unit full of Stolt's? Yes please.
I can see them fighting with humans. Just make them satisfied with food nipples and plenty of methane and they’ll fight. Their loyalty would just have to be won over first if they were to have any serious role however. We wouldn’t want them turning against us like some did with the Brutes and Elites.
I don’t think in integrated units, more as some kind of alliance at least, the unggoy would do their own operations that are under watch of ONI.
i highly doubt it but i hope so as the unggoy are my faviroute species. However, if the UNSC dont hire them directly, they may still be present in UNSC battles due to the Swords of Sanghelios
Yes they can clean some warthogs
Yes they can clean some warthogs
With plasma grenades.
I am slightly torn with the Unggoy. I obviously like their comedic nature, it is fun; but I would like to see more Unggoy being serous? Professional? I mean they can create - look at the Goblin; and we do have very skilled warriors and advisors like Stolt, he can't/shouldn't be the only one. I would love to see the Unggoy as a solid and competent force - free from the yolk of slavery they can hopefully flourish.

It might behove Humanity to train up some Unggoy, have them as a Bulwark against the other xenos.
Since a few Unggoy are actually of officer rank in the Swords of Sanghelios and the fact that the Swords and the UNSC conduct joint operations at times, wouldn't this already be true by proxy? Or is the joint ops stuff only special forces type operations of elite Spartans and Sangheili?
I am slightly torn with the Unggoy. I obviously like their comedic nature, it is fun; but I would like to see more Unggoy being serous? Professional? I mean they can create - look at the Goblin; and we do have very skilled warriors and advisors like Stolt, he can't/shouldn't be the only one. I would love to see the Unggoy as a solid and competent force - free from the yolk of slavery they can hopefully flourish.

It might behove Humanity to train up some Unggoy, have them as a Bulwark against the other xenos.
They can melt Master Chief on legendary no problem. Hire enough Unggoy and they can easily overwhelm any opposition.
Spoilers for Bad Blood ahead! You’ve been warned!
Spoiler:
Show
Spoiler:
Show
Books are overrated but yeah I guess they had to do something to justify the reason why we will be killing swaths of grunts in the next game (other than the fact that killing grunts are fun). After all it was apparent that none of the grunts who swore allegiance to the elites survived Halo 2.
Spoiler:
Show
Books are overrated but yeah I guess they had to do something to justify the reason why we will be killing swaths of grunts in the next game (other than the fact that killing grunts are fun). After all it was apparent that none of the grunts who swore allegiance to the elites survived Halo 2.
The books aren’t overrated! Heretic! Heretic! Heretic!
Spoiler:
Show
The books aren’t overrated! Heretic! Heretic! Heretic!
Sorry the Mark of Shame has not made a reappearance since Halo 3.
  1. 1
  2. ...
  3. ...
  4. 2