Forums / Community / Halo Universe

Would the UNSC employe the Unggoy

OP Marinealver

1. 1
  2. ...
  3. ...
  4. 2
Engineers are used by the UNSC so other aliens could too, but the grunts probably wouldn’t be used by the UNSC though.

Grunts are a slave race to the covenenent, they unwillingly joined. The covenant force them to breed and as soon as the offspring can walk they are sent into battle with drug intoxicaed methane tanks.

Humans are to moral to force an alien race into their military and force them to breed just so they can drug their young and send them into battle, so I doubt Humanity will ever use grunts.
Engineers are used by the UNSC so other aliens could too, but the grunts probably wouldn’t be used by the UNSC though.

Grunts are a slave race to the covenenent, they unwillingly joined. The covenant force them to breed and as soon as the offspring can walk they are sent into battle with drug intoxicaed methane tanks.

Humans are to(o) moral to force an alien race into their military and force them to breed just so they can drug their young and send them into battle, so I doubt Humanity will ever use grunts.
and this is where we get to talk about ONI.

First discussion The Mona Lisa

Humans are to moral to force an alien race into their military and force them to breed just so they can drug their young and send them into battle, so I doubt Humanity will ever use grunts.
The OP used the term employ, that's how would see it, Grunts willingly joining up, a mutual exchange, not slavery.

The OP used the term employ, that's how would see it, Grunts willingly joining up, a mutual exchange, not slavery.
I don’t think Grunts would willingly join the UNSC, and even if a few did the UNSC would only have a small amount of them, as the UNSC wouldn’t be able to do things like intensively breed them or send youngsters into battle.
Well, there's already Covenant asylum seekers on UNSC colonies. There's many in Rio de Janeiro on Earth, for example. Plus there's been multiple joint initiatives between the UNSC and other race since the war. Just look at the ANVIL Initiative and Operation: FAR STORM. I can see the UNSC hiring Grunts as diplomats and translators. They may also hire Jackals and Elites as mercenaries.

I predict that many locations in the series will become progressively more multi-species. I wouldn't be surprised if the series became more like Mass Effect in that respect. With the Covenant gone and the arrival of greater foes (e.g. the Precursors/Flood or Cortana), tensions between humans and Covenant-species will probably ease as time goes by.

I don’t think Grunts would willingly join the UNSC, and even if a few did the UNSC would only have a small amount of them, as the UNSC wouldn’t be able to do things like intensively breed them or send youngsters into battle.
I don't see why they wouldn't, military incentives today can be very enticing; training, a good supply of gas, PAY, a chance to not just be cannon fodder, higher ups that don't think it is acceptable to just eat you - then when you have finished your term you can take your skills back to your people, make them strong in the face of those races that see you as lesser, or food!
This post has been edited by a moderator. Please do not post spam.
*Original post. Click at your own discretion.
Spoiler:
Show
This post has been edited by a moderator. Please do not bump.
*Original post. Click at your own discretion.
Spoiler:
Show
I could see ONI doing some Gene therapy to enhance the viability of Ungoy soldiers, similar to how the Spartans were given a mental edge over other humans. Enough gene augmentation could turn grunts into a slightly taller (longer legs) and greatly more mature/intelligent unit.
Given that these are only 2 of the many many biotechnologies that the UNSC used for Spartans, it would be dirt cheap in comparison.
Grunts of this class could serve the role of a Jackyll without the crazy/evil tendencies.
Plus if they were volunteer recruits, they would be all the nice Grunts that like human culture. It would also make sense to let the engineers choose if they wanted to join the fight, and task them to large grunts squads for their protection. In Fps Halo Canon, Engineers cast shielding for friendlies, but in Halo Wars they heal units very effectively.
Can you imagine the effectiveness of Grunts with decent legs and maturity in a large squad backed up by an engineer??
Now just put a few Spartan |||| in there to show em how it's done.
Sadly this is too cool of an idea and nobody will ever implement it.
Just like 99.99% of our communities' ideas.
I believe they would be "employed" in some deep subsection of the UNSC, like ONI, to translate Coveneant languages and compile dictionaries, and to help negotiate with other factions of the Covenant. Other than that, I doubt the UNSC would have much tolerance or use for the little guys.
If they where to be employed they would either be undercover ops or weapon advancements.
I don’t know why it’d be necessary due to how the UNSC and Swords of Sanghellios work on joint operations together. We know that the Swords have Grunts in their ranks too. That being said, although it may not be seen in the UNSC, I wouldn’t put it past ONI. Considering how they’ve worked with a Covenant Separatist group to try and sow civil war on Sanghellios with the Swords, it’s very possible ONI may do this. They may take advantage of the fact that Grunts can breed really quickly giving them more in their ranks. Of course however these missions would be highly classified, as are all things with ONI.
  1. 1
  2. ...
  3. ...
  4. 2