Forums / Community / Announcements

Halo: Spartan Assault FAQ

OP Forum Team

The following FAQ should answer some of your questions about Halo: Spartan Assault. We'll be updating this FAQ as necessary, so if you don't find the answers you're looking for, check back later.

Spartan Assault on Xbox One

Q: I already bought Halo: Spartan Assault on my Windows 8 device or Windows phone, do I get a discount for the Xbox One version?
A: If you purchased Halo: Spartan Assault and logged into Xbox Live before December 15th on Windows 8 or Windows Phone, the Xbox One version will be available for the discounted price of $4.99 (or your local equivalent). In order to see the discount, you must log onto the Xbox One with the same account that purchased Halo: Spartan Assault on Windows 8 or Windows Phone.

Q: Will my games sync between platforms?
A: Experience (XP) is shared across Xbox 360, Xbox One, Windows 8 and Windows Phone. Credits (CR) are NOT shared across all platforms. Xbox One and Xbox 360 do not share credits with Windows 8 or Windows Phone; Windows Phone does share credits with Windows 8.

Q: My Xbox One didn’t install Halo: Spartan Assault.
A: If you are unable to install Halo: Spartan Assault, please contact Xbox Live Support.

Getting the game (All Platforms)

Q: How do I get a copy of Halo: Spartan Assault?
A: Spartan Assault is available through the Xbox One, Windows 8, and Windows Phone 8 stores. Purchasing it from the Windows Store for your Surface Pro will not allow you to play it on your Windows Phone 8 or Xbox One. However, it will allow you to download it onto any other Windows 8 device (PC\tablet).

In order to purchase the game, you need to have a Microsoft account. If you don’t have a Microsoft account, you can sign up for one here.

In the store, search for "Halo: Spartan Assault" and then select the "Buy" option on the game description page.

Q: How much does the game cost?
A: The game costs $6.99 (U.S. dollars) for Windows 8 tablet\PC and Windows Phone 8, and $14.99 (U.S. dollars) for Xbox One and Xbox 360.

Signing in

Q: How do I sign in on the Windows 8 tablet\PC version?
A: If you already have a Microsoft account, you can sign into the game using your account. If you don’t have a Microsoft account, you can sign up for one here. After the game is installed, you will be asked to provide your email address and password. Once the log-in screen clears, you should see that you are “Online” in the top right of your Main Menu screen.

Q: How do I sign in on the Windows Phone 8 version?
A: In order to play the game on a Windows Phone 8, you will need to be logged into your Microsoft account (Xbox) on the phone. Go to the Games app and sign in with your email and password. Then once you launch the game, you will automatically be signed-in.

Q: How do I sign in on the Xbox One version?
A: Sign in to your Xbox Live account on your Xbox One, then launch Spartan Assault.

Q: What happens if I’m not online and I want to play the game?
A: If you lose internet connectivity for any reason, the game will continue to work. Your saved games will now only save locally, and once you have internet connectivity again, will upload as normal. Once you are able to connect to the internet and Xbox again, the game will upload its local saved files and all your progress, Achievements, medals, leaderboards and challenge data will be updated.

Q: What happens if I can’t sign in to Xbox on my Windows 8 tablet\PC?
A: If your Windows 8 tablet\PC cannot connect to Xbox, then none of the achievements you acquired during the game will be uploaded to the cloud. Once you are able to connect to the internet and Xbox again, the game will upload its local saved files and all your progress, Achievements, medals, leaderboards and challenge data will be updated.

Q: What happens if I can’t sign in to Xbox on my Windows Phone 8?
A: If your Windows Phone 8 cannot connect to Xbox, then none of the Achievements you acquired during the game will be uploaded to the cloud. Once you are able to connect to the internet and Xbox again, the game will upload its local saved files and all your progress, Achievements, medals, leaderboards and challenge data will be updated.

Q: I’m not connected online. What will my game not be able to do?
A: If you are not connected online, your game will not be able to upload its local saved files and all your progress, Achievements, medals, leaderboards and challenge data will remain on your local machine. As long as you have cached log-in data (you have logged in before and not purposely logged yourself out), you will be able to play as normal. You will also not be able to purchase credits for use in the game, and any credits you have will not be available to use to upgrade the weapons, Armor Abilities or Boosters that use credits.

Saving

Q: How does the cloud save work?
A: Every time you complete a mission in Halo: Spartan Assault, it uploads the save data (campaign progress, Achievements, medals, leaderboard scores and challenges) to the cloud.

Q: What information gets saved in the game?
A: The game saves your campaign progress (missions, stars and score), which Achievements you have completed, which medals you have earned (and how many of each) and which challenges you’ve completed (and for the ones you haven’t completed yet, what progress you’ve made towards completing them).

Consumables

Q: What can I buy with all this XP I’m earning?
A: You can buy all items with XP.

Q: What can I buy with all these credits (CR) I purchased?
A: You can buy all items with CR.
Controls

Q: What are the touch controls when you are playing on a Windows 8 touch device?
A: There are several buttons on the in-game HUD for controlling movement, firing and interacting with your Spartan.
  • Movement – Hold and drag your thumb on the left side of the screen to move.
  • Aim & Firing – Hold and drag your thumb on the right side of the screen to aim and fire.
  • Melee Attack – Melee attacks are performed by double tapping the screen anywhere.
  • Switch Grenades – Switch grenades by tapping the icon that has a grenade with a circle around it.
  • Throw Grenades – Throw grenades by tapping the icon that looks like a grenade.
  • Armor Ability activation – Activate your Armor Ability by tapping the icon that looks like a person.
  • Interact (Use, Pick up, Get in & out) – Interact with an object by tapping the icon that looks like a hand.
  • Switch Weapons – Switch weapons by tapping the icon that has a pistol with a circle around it.
  • Fire Vehicle Main Weapon – Fire the main weapon on a vehicle by tapping the icon that looks like a targeting reticle.
  • Pause Menu – Pause by tapping the pause button in the bottom center of the screen.
Q: What are the mouse and keyboard controls when you are playing on a Windows 8 device?
A: There are several buttons on the keyboard & mouse that are used for controlling the movement, firing and interacting with your Spartan.
  • Movement – Use the WASD keys to move.
  • Aim & Firing – Move the mouse to aim, press the left mouse button to fire and the right mouse button to throw grenades.
  • Melee Attack – Use the space bar to perform a melee.
  • Switch Grenades – Use the left control button to switch grenades.
  • Throw Grenades – Use the right mouse button to throw grenades.
  • Armor Ability activation – Use the Q button to activate your Armor Ability.
  • Interact – Use the E button interact with objects and vehicles.
  • Switch Weapons – Use the left shift button to switch weapons.
Q: What are the controls when you are playing on a Windows Phone 8 device?
A: There are several buttons on the in-game HUD for controlling the movement, firing and interacting with your Spartan.
  • Movement – Movement is performed by touching the left half of the screen.
  • Aim & Firing – Aiming and firing are performed by touching the right half of the screen.
  • Interact (Melee, Use, Pick up, Get in & out) – Interact with an object by tapping the icon that looks like a hand.
  • Switch Weapons – Switch weapons by tapping the two weapon icons in the top-right of the screen.
  • Switch Grenades – Switch grenades by tapping the two grenade icons in the top-right of the screen.
  • Throw Grenades – Throw grenades by double tapping the screen (it will throw the grenade in the facing direction).
  • Armor Ability activation – Activate your Armor Ability by tapping your Spartan.
  • Fire Vehicle Main Weapon – Fire the main weapon of your vehicle by tapping anywhere on the screen.
  • Pause Menu – Pause by tapping the pause button in the bottom center of the screen.
General Halo

Q: What weapons can I use in the game?
A: You can use many weapons from both the UNSC and Covenant.
UNSC weapons are:
  • Assault Rifle
  • Magnum
  • Dual SMGs
  • Shotgun
  • Spartan Laser (buy with credits)
  • Rocket Launcher (buy with credits)
  • Sniper Rifle (buy with XP)
  • Frag Grenade
  • Incendiary Grenade
  • UNSC Machine Gun Turrets
Covenant weapons are:
  • Plasma Pistol
  • Plasma Repeater
  • Focus Rifle
  • Needler
  • Brute Shot
  • Plasma Grenade
  • Covenant Shade Turret
Q: What enemies will I encounter in the game?
A: You will encounter many Covenant enemies from the Halo universe, including Grunts, Elites, Brutes, Drones and Jackals.

Q: What vehicles can I use in the game?
A: You will have access to two UNSC tanks (Scorpion and Grizzly) and two Covenant vehicles (Ghost and Wraith).

Challenges

Q: What are the Mission Challenges I see in the game?
A: Each mission in Spartan Assault has 3 mission specific challenges. When you accomplish these, they contribute toward earning the EXTRA CREDIT Achievement, which requires you to complete 75 mission specific challenges.

Q: What are the Weekly Mission Challenges I see in the game?
A: Each week there are 3 new challenges available in Spartan Assault. When you accomplish these, they reward you with large amounts of XP.