Skip to main content

Forums / Support / Halo 5: Guardians Support

[Locked] AT&T 1 GB FIBER AND XBOX ONE TECH DISCUSSION

OP C HUNTER 0NE

Ok everyone, Just switched from Comcast Extreme 105 to AT&T GigaPower 1GB Up & Down. Getting near 1GB on all devices EXCEPT the XBOX One. I know the particular XBOX One is not defective because we have three and they all have the same issue. Using CAT 6 cables and have tried changing them all. AT&T did the initial install. Then I had poor test results on the XBOX One and so they sent new techs back the very next day and did a full reinstall of every component (exterior fiber to modem box, wires between them, new modem - everything). Same issue. Great speeds on everything BUT the XBOX One.

I got 100+ down all the time on Comcast.
I now get 500+ down on all devices and my XBOX One (which is the new XBOX-S) actually has speed test results ranging from 200 down to 1 down and even some tests measured in Kbps!!!!!

I have gotten 800 down on one device and 912kbps on the XBOX One the very next test. I am testing with no other devices connected, have tried disabling IPV6, disabling all wifi signals, dealt with XBOX Live Support for 2-3 hours on 2 calls and AT&T Advanced Support and even paid support for another 3 hours. Tried DMV, Bridge Mode, port forwarding, etc until XBOX Live Support just gave up and said they have no other ideas.

This has to be a Microsoft issue it seems to me since it affects only the XBOX One. The one I am testing now is actually the new XBOX One S so it is very up to date.

I have seen a handful of other users make posts just like this on other forums and every time it is an XBOX One and AT&T Fiber where all other devices get 1GB promised speeds but the XB1 gets speeds of 1-10 down.

AT&T modem is the pace modem 5268ac. All ATT users get this one.

If you want GB speeds, looks like you better make your next console a Playstation? Any ideas?

Thank You! C HUNT3R ONE
Unfortunately, since this site is exclusively about Halo 5, you won't find any better answers here about general Xbox problems than you would at Xbox Support.
Have you tried measuring your down/up speeds from a non-Xbox device (like your PC) to Microsoft's Azure servers? If other devices have trouble communicating with Azure servers, that could indicate that it's not specifically an Xbox problem. If other devices communicate as expected with Azure servers, then maybe it is specifically the console.
Another control experiment you might try running is another Xbox console, like a friend's or something, on your network, to see if your network doesn't like Xbox consoles in general or just hates yours. Alternatively, you could take your console to another network and perform the same connection tests to see if it underperforms on any network or just yours.
Hi Chimera30!

Thank you for the info! All other devices are getting 600-800 down. I have 4 XBOX Ones and one is the new XBOX One S. All of them get the same results. There are other tech posts and all users have the same issue when they have AT&T Gigapower 1GB and it affects their XBOX One only as well.

Surely 4 XBOX's would be able to communicate with MS servers. Also, when I test them, I am doing so hard wired with no other devices connected. Last night I had about 20 tests that were all 700-800 down. Then I had 10 that were like 2 down, 5 down, 8 down.

With Comcast it was never below 80 - ever, in like 1000 tests I ran over the past 4-5 years. AT&T has had 3 tech visits and replaced ever component in the past two weeks.

I think it has either to be the 5268ac modem or a problem with the XBOX Live servers like you mentioned. I have seen 800 down on one test and 912kbps on the next???? What would cause that?

How could I test speeds to Microsoft's Azure servers using other devices? I really appreciate any info you might give. And if you think there is a MS forum that is best, I am happy to post there also?

Thank You! C HUNT3R ONE
Been here a few weeks ago when I had Comcast out. All other devices would show great stable down and up speed tell you test the X box one,
X box would show anywhere from 1mbps to 208 mbps, upload was at least stable. Techs said nothing they could do on my end, It's all on Microsoft.
C HUNTER 0NE, you can follow this link to a site that lets you perform some tests on connecting to Azure servers, which Microsoft uses. You can do speed tests, latency tests, and other things, using you PC as a device (not sure if the site works on mobile).
Since you say you've tried multiple Xbox's on your network and all of them show inconsistent speeds, you should trying taking one or more of your consoles to another network and speed testing them there, to verify that the problem is communication through your specific network.
If it is indeed you network that, for whatever reason, has problems sending/receiving signals from Azure servers, then there isn't much you can do beyond talking with you ISP. Network compatibility is an ever-changing landscape, and though some ISPs communicate with particular servers well, other ISPs may have some problems. Only the ISP and Microsoft would know why AT&T Gigabit and Xbox seem incompatible. If you think the modem may be causing trouble you could try using a different one, though I doubt it's the modem.
The best places for you to troubleshoot this issue are, in fact, your ISP and Xbox Support. You may have already tried both routes, but you should keep trying and investigating. Even if Xbox Support previously said they are out of ideas, you should try again with a different representative, maybe even ask them to escalate the issue. Same with your ISP.
Chimera30 wrote:
C HUNTER 0NE, you can follow this link to a site that lets you perform some tests on connecting to Azure servers, which Microsoft uses. You can do speed tests, latency tests, and other things, using you PC as a device (not sure if the site works on mobile).
Since you say you've tried multiple Xbox's on your network and all of them show inconsistent speeds, you should trying taking one or more of your consoles to another network and speed testing them there, to verify that the problem is communication through your specific network.
If it is indeed you network that, for whatever reason, has problems sending/receiving signals from Azure servers, then there isn't much you can do beyond talking with you ISP. Network compatibility is an ever-changing landscape, and though some ISPs communicate with particular servers well, other ISPs may have some problems. Only the ISP and Microsoft would know why AT&T Gigabit and Xbox seem incompatible. If you think the modem may be causing trouble you could try using a different one, though I doubt it's the modem.
The best places for you to troubleshoot this issue are, in fact, your ISP and Xbox Support. You may have already tried both routes, but you should keep trying and investigating. Even if Xbox Support previously said they are out of ideas, you should try again with a different representative, maybe even ask them to escalate the issue. Same with your ISP.
Chimera30
Thanks buddy. Its cool of you to help with the information and I appreciate you very much.

I think you are right about this and I will continue to work on it. I will try to get the XBL Techs to check their servers to see if it is a different set tested to when the speed tests are bad and when they are good and see if I can get the AT&T Level 2 to run some tests to the Azure Servers using what you gave me.
With the limited information we have, I tend to agree it is a MS issue. The speeds you claim to be getting are the fastest I have ever seen anywhere, including fortune 500 networks, so it all boils down the xbox and MS. I game and stream pretty well at no where near those speeds.
With the limited information we have, I tend to agree it is a MS issue. The speeds you claim to be getting are the fastest I have ever seen anywhere, including fortune 500 networks, so it all boils down the xbox and MS. I game and stream pretty well at no where near those speeds.
The point is that if we're paying for these speeds I want to be able to get those speeds. All other gamers who get these high speeds are gonna be pissed too. Watch and see.
Chimera30 wrote:
I took this all the way with both. Someone at Microsoft said they were going to bring it up at a meeting the following day after I showed them. They looked at all my speed tests after the instructed me on how to run them so they could review the results. They saw all the other complaints of users with 1GB service online when they researched it for themselves looking for an answer.

The guy was supposed to call me back to update and he was never heard from again. I called looking for him and was given the runaround. Lol, thanks Microsoft!

At least AT&T sent their techs out 4 times and reinstalled everything 3 times. A manager even came with them.

MS just doesn't care and it's easier to say "hmm, it must be the network." Lol. Sorry but that is the truth here.

I have 800 down speeds but get to download games at 30mbps. Ripoff. Does Playstation have this issue?
C HUNTER 0NE did you ever get this resolved? My doubles partner and I are both suffering from similar situations w/ halo 5 and our high speed ISPs...
saucyboi A wrote:
C HUNTER 0NE did you ever get this resolved? My doubles partner and I are both suffering from similar situations w/ halo 5 and our high speed ISPs...
Please don't revive old topics thanks