Skip to main content

Forums / Support / Halo 5: Guardians Support

Friend keeps disconnecting.

OP ApeX PresSure

Now before people start screaming out that my friend needs a better internet connection please hear me out. He has an open NAT type as do I and the others attempting to play with him. We have no issues whatsoever playing games like Destiny, Fallout 76, Fortnite, BO4 ect. For some reason everytime we play he is kicked as soon as we start up a playlist and it gets to step 2/4 connecting to server. Doesn't matter if is Social, Warzone, or Ranked it has been happening every single time we try any advice?
Does it happen consistently or just the first game you guys queue for?
Halo is very finicky. I had to adjust some router settings to stop disconnects.

Have him try the following. In router settings:
  1. Give the xbox a unique assigned IP address.
  2. Create a port triggering rule for the ports required to use XBL
Port Triggering - Port Triggering is typically used to facilitate Internet gaming or chat and other specialized communication protocols. Port Triggering rules are used to dynamically forward inbound traffic coming into a specific port to a host device on your network.

Outgoing Trigger Ports
  • UDP->88-88
  • All->3074-3074
  • All->53-53
  • TCP->80-80
  • UDP->500-500
  • UDP->3544-3544
  • UDP->4500-4500
Incoming Ports to Open
  • UDP->88-88
  • UDP->3074-3074
  • UDP->53-53
  • TCP->80-80
  • UDP->500-500
  • UDP->3544-3544
  • UDP->4500-4500
After being wired most of the time, I recently went WiFi. My connection is quicker on WiFi. Make sure you have an open NAT. This worked for me. Good luck.

Port Triggering - Port Triggering is typically used to facilitate Internet gaming or chat and other specialized communication protocols. Port Triggering rules are used to dynamically forward inbound traffic coming into a specific port to a host device on your network.
Outgoing Trigger Ports
  • UDP->88-88
  • All->3074-3074
  • All->53-53
  • TCP->80-80
  • UDP->500-500
  • UDP->3544-3544
  • UDP->4500-4500
Incoming Ports to Open
  • UDP->88-88
  • UDP->3074-3074
  • UDP->53-53
  • TCP->80-80
  • UDP->500-500
  • UDP->3544-3544
  • UDP->4500-4500
After being wired most of the time, I recently went WiFi. My connection is quicker on WiFi. Make sure you have an open NAT. This worked for me. Good luck.
I'll have him give it a try. thankyou
JB Linken wrote:
Does it happen consistently or just the first game you guys queue for?
No every time we try to start a game in any playlist. Literally everytime.
Do what was suggested. Assign a Static IP address to the Xbox One, but instead of opening individual ports, just put the IP address in your router's DMZ setting. Unrestricted internet access from your console will alleviate most if not all connection-related settings that could block and cause issues.

Outgoing Trigger Ports
  • UDP->88-88
  • All->3074-3074
  • All->53-53
  • TCP->80-80
  • UDP->500-500
  • UDP->3544-3544
  • UDP->4500-4500
Incoming Ports to Open
  • UDP->88-88
  • UDP->3074-3074
  • UDP->53-53
  • TCP->80-80
  • UDP->500-500
  • UDP->3544-3544
  • UDP->4500-4500
By the way it worked! Thankyou very much!
Now before people start screaming out that my friend needs a better internet connection please hear me out. He has an open NAT type as do I and the others attempting to play with him. We have no issues whatsoever playing games like Destiny, Fallout 76, Fortnite, BO4 ect. For some reason everytime we play he is kicked as soon as we start up a playlist and it gets to step 2/4 connecting to server. Doesn't matter if is Social, Warzone, or Ranked it has been happening every single time we try any advice?
This happens to my friend and I all the time. What you want to do is have everyone restart their game and try again. If that doesn't work have everyone hard reset their console.
This happens to my friend and I all the time. What you want to do is have everyone restart their game and try again. If that doesn't work have everyone hard reset their console.
We had done all of that to no change or difference still disconnects. What worked for him was giving his Xbox a unique assigned IP address and Using Port Triggering rules like Matador INC suggested above.