Forums / Support / Halo 5: Guardians Support

Series X Halo 5 Performs Poorly

OP lgndofhalo3

1. 1
  2. ...
  3. 2
  4. ...
  5. 3
Ever since I upgraded from my 2013 Xbox One to the Series X, Halo 5 has been an up and down experience. On the one hand, heavy aim is reduced greatly and the resolution increase is great.

However, there are a lot of optimization issues that I and many people are experiencing. The common factor being the Series X (possibly S as well, but that has a smaller and unknown sample size).

The primary problem is this strange stuttering issue. My connection is wired, and it doesn’t matter what server I’m on, my game will get these strange stutters, and the only way to alleviate them is to restart my xbox. I know it’s not a connection issue because my health bar will move flawlessly, even when thr stuttering occurs. This indicates that it’s not a server issue, but a hardware issue with my xbox. From what I understand, every pro streamer with a Series X has run into this stuttering issue, so it’s not a faulty xbox. There’s something wrong with stuttering on Halo 5 on this new xbox and I won’t pretend to know what it is. For more information, I’ve tried turning on/off freesync, vrr, 4k, 60hz, 120hz, pretty much every single video setting on my xbox hasn’t changed the stutter.

Another thing that I’ve heard people discussing is the server issues recently. These are to be expected since Microsoft’s servers are being taxed pretty hard. But what I’ve heard, (and experienced) is weird disconnects with people who have Series X’s. At this point it’s too early to say if it’s a hardware issue or just a server issue, but it should definitely be watched.

343, I don’t know if any of you read these forums, and I know you all moved on from H5, but if you all could fix this stuttering issue, it would be huge. Somebody programmed H5 to work on the new consoles via backwards compatability, which means that person can hopefully be given the opportunity to fix it. One more update and you guys can let H5 rot and work on Infinite.

Thank you for reading this and I hope you find the time to fix these performance issues.
I have a series x and play halo 5 frequently. I haven’t noticed any stuttering. I don’t stream at all though. Gameplay has been buttery smooth.
I have an Xbox One X. The game play has been terrible I would say over the past few weeks. Stuttering lagging sound sync is off. I don’t think it is isolated to the Series X man.
I’ve played a lot of Halo 5 with my Series X and I’ve never experienced any problem with the game whatsoever. Nor have any of my friends.
It’s quite possible it’s a smaller user base getting these problems but I don’t think this is a Series X specific issue.

Halo 5 isn’t “optimised” for Series X, any bugs that exist on the game were already there prior to the Series X launch.
We’re talking about a 5 year older game that wasn’t had a update in years...
Probably one more reason now for 343 to get going on getting Halo 5 on PC with Crossplay so updates for the Series X/S can happen, thats why they didn't work on any updates really for the game on the Series X since they didn't have time right now I think.
I am also experiencing these issues plus tons of server issues as well. I agree that the heavy aim is reduced some for sure and for the most part gameplay is smoother than ever. my main issues have been server issues, which result in me resetting the Xbox, sometimes several times, to get into an arena match. A lot of times while loading into a game and it gets to 3/4 loading and just doesn't do anything and shows no other players when it usually does at 3/4 loading. This has happened several times at the end of an arena match, after I've won, and lost csr. then when i reset, i cant see the previous games stats, even though we finished the game and we won. I am also hard wired in and have great internet connection. I don't know if its the smoother gameplay or better picture but i notice a lot more hit registration misses now compared to than with my one s. I just love playing this game but these issues make it beyond frustrating.
tonedef56 wrote:
I have an Xbox One X. The game play has been terrible I would say over the past few weeks. Stuttering lagging sound sync is off. I don’t think it is isolated to the Series X man.
fellow one x owner here, game has been consistently worse than 2 weeks ago, headshots will take 2 seconds to show, enemies arent in the same place, randomly dying (very bad in firefight). nothing in my environment has changed.
Ever since I upgraded from my 2013 Xbox One to the Series X, Halo 5 has been an up and down experience. On the one hand, heavy aim is reduced greatly and the resolution increase is great.

However, there are a lot of optimization issues that I and many people are experiencing. The common factor being the Series X (possibly S as well, but that has a smaller and unknown sample size).

The primary problem is this strange stuttering issue. My connection is wired, and it doesn’t matter what server I’m on, my game will get these strange stutters, and the only way to alleviate them is to restart my xbox. I know it’s not a connection issue because my health bar will move flawlessly, even when thr stuttering occurs. This indicates that it’s not a server issue, but a hardware issue with my xbox. From what I understand, every pro streamer with a Series X has run into this stuttering issue, so it’s not a faulty xbox. There’s something wrong with stuttering on Halo 5 on this new xbox and I won’t pretend to know what it is. For more information, I’ve tried turning on/off freesync, vrr, 4k, 60hz, 120hz, pretty much every single video setting on my xbox hasn’t changed the stutter.

Another thing that I’ve heard people discussing is the server issues recently. These are to be expected since Microsoft’s servers are being taxed pretty hard. But what I’ve heard, (and experienced) is weird disconnects with people who have Series X’s. At this point it’s too early to say if it’s a hardware issue or just a server issue, but it should definitely be watched.

343, I don’t know if any of you read these forums, and I know you all moved on from H5, but if you all could fix this stuttering issue, it would be huge. Somebody programmed H5 to work on the new consoles via backwards compatability, which means that person can hopefully be given the opportunity to fix it. One more update and you guys can let H5 rot and work on Infinite.

Thank you for reading this and I hope you find the time to fix these performance issues.
You havent mentioned uninstalling then re-enstalling yet. Try that and get back to us
This post has been edited by a moderator. Please refrain from making non-constructive posts.
*Original post. Click at your own discretion.
Spoiler:
Show

You havent mentioned uninstalling then re-enstalling yet. Try that and get back to us
ive tried that doesnt do anything
I only had one fps drop in warzone, otherwise it has been fine. Still wish they would update it for next gen.
Probably one more reason now for 343 to get going on getting Halo 5 on PC with Crossplay so updates for the Series X/S can happen, thats why they didn't work on any updates really for the game on the Series X since they didn't have time right now I think.
Was gonna say. I noticed in gamepass that MMC has the enhanced for series S/X logo but halo 5 does not. So I'm assuming anyone playing halo 5 is just playing the enhanced for one X version?
Was gonna say. I noticed in gamepass that MMC has the enhanced for series S/X logo but halo 5 does not. So I'm assuming anyone playing halo 5 is just playing the enhanced for one X version?
Yes thats basically the case right now. We don't have any upgrades for Series X. But its kind of a shame that 343 isn't taking the opportunity to offer 120 refresh rate (hence why we need a PC port so they can enable that feature) for Halo 5 on the Series X as I imagine the console could definite handle it.
Yes thats basically the case right now. We don't have any upgrades for Series X. But its kind of a shame that 343 isn't taking the opportunity to offer 120 refresh rate (hence why we need a PC port so they can enable that feature) for Halo 5 on the Series X as I imagine the console could definite handle it.
I hope we they release a pc port just so there is a chance at revisiting the weapon sandbox. Some of the most iconic weapons, like the BR, Submachine gun, and the new Storm rifle are just no fun to use. Especially since there placement in the maps themselves havent changed much since the updates. Me going into the middle of the map on truth to collect a storm rifle, please. Maybe if I already had camo but then I'd waste a 1/4 of its duration just to get it.
The stuttering from what I can tell is H5 being 60fps. Though other 60fps games seem a slight bit smoother. But I've been actively playing Cold War on Series X at 120fps and MCC at 144fps on PC so switching from those buttery smooth games to H5 feels choppy and unplayble. Really wish H5 would get a 120fps mode. It would bring soo much new life to the game.
I am also starting to experience this issue and it's very disappointing. I do not recall having this issue during the first 2 weeks of H5 on the Series X but now it happens so much the game is almost unplayable at times. In 4v4 Arena playlists I get very bad frame lag or stutter. It seems to happen a lot when I first spawn and it also seems to happen more frequently on different maps/certain sections of maps.

I highly doubt anyone at 343 is even remotely looking into this but as someone who bought a Series X solely to play this game (seeing as it's not on PC) I am quite disappointed. Once series X stock is back to normal levels I may try to RMA the console and see if maybe it is related to certain units.
I've noticed the stutter is very prevalent on Fathom especially at the doorways of the bases. Can confirm this issue happens with or without my capture card being in the setup and these stutters are making it to my monitor so it's definitely not caused by my Elgato. Also I have confirmed my Xbox is not trying to use VRR as I have locked it to 60hz in the video settings using Manual mode rather than HDMI Auto Detect. HDR and everything is also disabled as my monitor/elgato do not support them and the options are greyed out in the video settings.

Here is a decent clip of the issue: https://drive.google.com/file/d/1ms7cJdaAIfX3i6C2VNuTk298kEEpXlxj/view?usp=sharing

Stutter happens the most at the beginning and end of the video. The end is a very good example of how this kind of issue can completely ruin gameplay as the game randomly stuttering during gunfights is a massive issue. Really upsetting as the game feels SO GOOD on the Series X but this one issue may cause me to sell and just go back to the One X until Infinite :(
I’m having a server problem with my series X with Halo 5. I’m only getting 3 out of 4 servers, but when I connect my Xbox one x, not a problem at all. Now my series runs smooth & fast with the Master chief collection.
I’m having a server problem with my series X with Halo 5. I’m only getting 3 out of 4 servers, but when I connect my Xbox one x, not a problem at all. Now my series runs smooth & fast with the Master chief collection.
I also have issues connecting to dedicated servers. Seems like some kind of issue with the new "Quick Resume" feature. I typically have to quit the Halo 5 build or hard restart my Series X to resolve the issue.
I also have issues connecting to dedicated servers. Seems like some kind of issue with the new "Quick Resume" feature. I typically have to quit the Halo 5 build or hard restart my Series X to resolve the issue.
I have the same issue. When I first launch the game and try to join a public match I get kicked with "unable to connect to server" and "unable to join". Then every game after seems to work fine till the game freezes and crashes after 4-5 hours of playing (only game that does this). The only thing I found that kind of works is to go-to custom games browser and join a game. Let it error out, and join another. Then once it loads, you can quit and play social/rank/warzone without getting kicked. I think it's an issue with quick resume. I have the game installed on my internal, fresh install. I may try moving it to my external storage and see what happens.
  1. 1
  2. ...
  3. 2
  4. ...
  5. 3