Series X Halo 5 Performs Poorly

OP lgndofhalo3

1. 1
  2. ...
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. ...
  6. 4
Ever since I upgraded from my 2013 Xbox One to the Series X, Halo 5 has been an up and down experience. On the one hand, heavy aim is reduced greatly and the resolution increase is great.

However, there are a lot of optimization issues that I and many people are experiencing. The common factor being the Series X (possibly S as well, but that has a smaller and unknown sample size).

The primary problem is this strange stuttering issue. My connection is wired, and it doesn’t matter what server I’m on, my game will get these strange stutters, and the only way to alleviate them is to restart my xbox. I know it’s not a connection issue because my health bar will move flawlessly, even when thr stuttering occurs. This indicates that it’s not a server issue, but a hardware issue with my xbox. From what I understand, every pro streamer with a Series X has run into this stuttering issue, so it’s not a faulty xbox. There’s something wrong with stuttering on Halo 5 on this new xbox and I won’t pretend to know what it is. For more information, I’ve tried turning on/off freesync, vrr, 4k, 60hz, 120hz, pretty much every single video setting on my xbox hasn’t changed the stutter.

Another thing that I’ve heard people discussing is the server issues recently. These are to be expected since Microsoft’s servers are being taxed pretty hard. But what I’ve heard, (and experienced) is weird disconnects with people who have Series X’s. At this point it’s too early to say if it’s a hardware issue or just a server issue, but it should definitely be watched.

343, I don’t know if any of you read these forums, and I know you all moved on from H5, but if you all could fix this stuttering issue, it would be huge. Somebody programmed H5 to work on the new consoles via backwards compatability, which means that person can hopefully be given the opportunity to fix it. One more update and you guys can let H5 rot and work on Infinite.

Thank you for reading this and I hope you find the time to fix these performance issues.
i am also getting an issue with stuttering but i believe its a monitor compatibility issue being the old HDMI ports or people using NVIDIA G-sync instead of AMD free sync since the series X has AMD graphics card. Its very frustrating especially since MCC runs perfectly fine on the same setup same settings!
My wife and I play together multiple hours per day, directly next to each other. I play on Series X (wired) and she uses One X (wi-fi); and I regularly get dropped from the queue after finding a match with "unable to connect to server" and "unable to join" error messages, while she is able to continue loading in to the match every time. This happens many times per day. This happens the most (almost guaranteed) with the "Expanded" search preference but less with "Focused".

I also very frequently get the mentioned "stutter" when, at the same moment, she does not.
I'm having a stuttering issue as well. I have wired fiber internet. Hard to explain the issue because it's not the exact same as normal connection lag. It seems to be the game itself and not the internet.
I've noticed the stutter is very prevalent on Fathom especially at the doorways of the bases. Can confirm this issue happens with or without my capture card being in the setup and these stutters are making it to my monitor so it's definitely not caused by my Elgato. Also I have confirmed my Xbox is not trying to use VRR as I have locked it to 60hz in the video settings using Manual mode rather than HDMI Auto Detect. HDR and everything is also disabled as my monitor/elgato do not support them and the options are greyed out in the video settings.

Here is a decent clip of the issue: https://drive.google.com/file/d/1ms7cJdaAIfX3i6C2VNuTk298kEEpXlxj/view?usp=sharing

Stutter happens the most at the beginning and end of the video. The end is a very good example of how this kind of issue can completely ruin gameplay as the game randomly stuttering during gunfights is a massive issue. Really upsetting as the game feels SO GOOD on the Series X but this one issue may cause me to sell and just go back to the One X until Infinite :(
Thanks for posting a video. This is the exact same thing I am seeing when I play Halo 5 on my Xbox Series X.

Setup:

Xbox Series X
HDMI
Xbox set to 1440P output at 120HZ
Wired
This feels like a thread falling on deaf ears unfortunately. Just wish 343 would atleast acknowledge that it's broken.
Here's a clip of it happening on stream:

https://twitter.com/NicmeistaR/status/1352557117782306817?s=20
What do you all have as your video hz output in the Xbox settings? Just got series x and a 120 hz monitor. First game I played having the Xbox system set to 120 hz, my monitor has an fps counter on it so it said I was getting 120 hz in the game, it had the stutter you all are referring to.

I switched the Xbox setting output to 60 hz and played another game this time the stutter was gone.

I have VRR enabled with free sync so I'm not sure why the game is trying to run at 120 hz but that seems to be the issue.

Let me know what you all try and get

Edit : OK I don't know what I'm talking about played another game at 60hz and stutter, switched it to 120 hz and no stutter. Either way it looks to be some kind of VRR or freesync issue, not too happy about this either
Ever since I upgraded from my 2013 Xbox One to the Series X, Halo 5 has been an up and down experience. On the one hand, heavy aim is reduced greatly and the resolution increase is great.

However, there are a lot of optimization issues that I and many people are experiencing. The common factor being the Series X (possibly S as well, but that has a smaller and unknown sample size).

The primary problem is this strange stuttering issue. My connection is wired, and it doesn’t matter what server I’m on, my game will get these strange stutters, and the only way to alleviate them is to restart my xbox. I know it’s not a connection issue because my health bar will move flawlessly, even when thr stuttering occurs. This indicates that it’s not a server issue, but a hardware issue with my xbox. From what I understand, every pro streamer with a Series X has run into this stuttering issue, so it’s not a faulty xbox. There’s something wrong with stuttering on Halo 5 on this new xbox and I won’t pretend to know what it is. For more information, I’ve tried turning on/off freesync, vrr, 4k, 60hz, 120hz, pretty much every single video setting on my xbox hasn’t changed the stutter.

Another thing that I’ve heard people discussing is the server issues recently. These are to be expected since Microsoft’s servers are being taxed pretty hard. But what I’ve heard, (and experienced) is weird disconnects with people who have Series X’s. At this point it’s too early to say if it’s a hardware issue or just a server issue, but it should definitely be watched.

343, I don’t know if any of you read these forums, and I know you all moved on from H5, but if you all could fix this stuttering issue, it would be huge. Somebody programmed H5 to work on the new consoles via backwards compatability, which means that person can hopefully be given the opportunity to fix it. One more update and you guys can let H5 rot and work on Infinite.

Thank you for reading this and I hope you find the time to fix these performance issues.
Same problem. Annoying as -Yoink-. I'm going back to One X.

I don't know how many times I have reported this issue to Menke and on these forums. I have posted about it in a different part of this forum as well about disconnects, timeout's, dedicated server problems, etc. The problem is definitely on 343/MSFT's end. I am not sure where the disconnect is and it is causing a lot of problems. Every single one of these issues I have had problems with and it is driving me absolutely insane. I went as far as investing in brand new networking equipment thinking my stuff had gone off the rails and was causing the problem (it is not).

So thank you for posting this because it is clearly an issue and not just me.
Orland0h wrote:

I don't know how many times I have reported this issue to Menke and on these forums. I have posted about it in a different part of this forum as well about disconnects, timeout's, dedicated server problems, etc. The problem is definitely on 343/MSFT's end. I am not sure where the disconnect is and it is causing a lot of problems. Every single one of these issues I have had problems with and it is driving me absolutely insane. I went as far as investing in brand new networking equipment thinking my stuff had gone off the rails and was causing the problem (it is not).

So thank you for posting this because it is clearly an issue and not just me.
I keep being super vocal about it on Twitter too I haven't even had a single reply from anyone at 343 about it, it's like they are just ignoring the issue hoping no one notices at this point unfortunately.

Also playing it on my One X again because of the inconsistency on Series X. I just want them to acknowledge that the game is broken on the new consoles atleast.
At this point they’re leaving the game for dead permanently. I feel that all they’re focused on is adding little content to MCC and getting infinite polished for launch. Idk why they optimized an old game like MCC for the series x/s but not halo 5.
I feel you I'm at a loss for words myself seeing as H5 is the latest FPS they released and the mere fact that we still play HCS tournaments on it as the main competitive game is what makes these issues even that much worse.

I understand why MCC got an upgrade first since it's more in active development
At this point they’re leaving the game for dead permanently. I feel that all they’re focused on is adding little content to MCC and getting infinite polished for launch. Idk why they optimized an old game like MCC for the series x/s but not halo 5.
but Halo 5 needs it more IMO. People are playing tournaments and having outcomes determined by a broken game.
I can confirm...Just playing Halo 5 on series x and i noticed some stuttering in campain or online.
Update on the worst issues you can possibly experience on the series x. Random stoppage of the game. Just completely. I can't even explain how this works but it literally pauses and kicks you from the game. Like an error in programming causing a hangup and the exception doesn't catch properly. This is ridiculous.
Orland0h wrote:
Update on the worst issues you can possibly experience on the series x. Random stoppage of the game. Just completely. I can't even explain how this works but it literally pauses and kicks you from the game. Like an error in programming causing a hangup and the exception doesn't catch properly. This is ridiculous.
That's definitely a new one! Ive had it freeze on me for 5-8 seconds mid game before but yet to have it kick me out entirley. Feels like the game gets more buggy the longer you play it. The first week the game felt amazing and I had none if these issues however it seems to get more intesne as time goes on.
uhblindkid wrote:
My wife and I play together multiple hours per day, directly next to each other. I play on Series X (wired) and she uses One X (wi-fi); and I regularly get dropped from the queue after finding a match with "unable to connect to server" and "unable to join" error messages, while she is able to continue loading in to the match every time. This happens many times per day. This happens the most (almost guaranteed) with the "Expanded" search preference but less with "Focused".

I also very frequently get the mentioned "stutter" when, at the same moment, she does not.
The disconnects have been an issue for a long time. We find that if we join a custom game at the start of the night with our fireteam, everyone can connect after that when we joinig Matchmaking.

If we don't do the custom game, someone will inevitably be dropped. However, we have had to do that for at least 2 years now, so it isn't a Series X thing (although it still is a problem on the SX).
*Update... i have possibly found out a solution to the annoying frame rate stutter issue with the Xbox series X and halo 5... What i did was purchase a new monitor that can run up to 144hz on HDMI but ALSO will run 100hz or 60hz on the monitor itself. This specific model (viewsonic XG240R) has a console setting which caps the monitors refresh rate at 60hz.... Doing this and ALSO putting my xbox series X too 60hz makes Halo 5 run ALOT smoother then it did before and the stuttering is gone...My monitor also goes from 24hz-144hz which not all monitors go that low and this may be helping me with frame drops on halo 5... Not sure if that has an effect but again i have fixed the stuttering/screen tear problem by running 60hz on monitor AND 60hz on console with Halo 5 only....Of course when i play MCC i go back to 120hz on the console and 144hz max refresh rate for the monitor. Hope this helps! - McLagz :)
McLagz wrote:
*Update... i have possibly found out a solution to the annoying frame rate stutter issue with the Xbox series X and halo 5... What i did was purchase a new monitor that can run up to 144hz on HDMI but ALSO will run 100hz or 60hz on the monitor itself. This specific model (viewsonic XG240R) has a console setting which caps the monitors refresh rate at 60hz.... Doing this and ALSO putting my xbox series X too 60hz makes Halo 5 run ALOT smoother then it did before and the stuttering is gone...My monitor also goes from 24hz-144hz which not all monitors go that low and this may be helping me with frame drops on halo 5... Not sure if that has an effect but again i have fixed the stuttering/screen tear problem by running 60hz on monitor AND 60hz on console with Halo 5 only....Of course when i play MCC i go back to 120hz on the console and 144hz max refresh rate for the monitor. Hope this helps! - McLagz :)
This is not what we are experiencing but thanks for the input!
<p></p>
Orland0h wrote:
McLagz wrote:
<p></p>
Alot of people are experiencing the stutter/choppy gameplay so just wanted to share my fix... But if your experiencing the disconnects it seems like the only thing that helps is starting a custom game before going into matchmaking. And ANY time you quit the build you have to do it again. Seems like a problem with the quick resume possibly...
McLagz wrote:
Orland0h wrote:
McLagz wrote:
<p></p>
Alot of people are experiencing the stutter/choppy gameplay so just wanted to share my fix... But if your experiencing the disconnects it seems like the only thing that helps is starting a custom game before going into matchmaking. And ANY time you quit the build you have to do it again. Seems like a problem with the quick resume possibly...
Changing my Refresh rate etc didn't solve the issue for me personally and I feel like that isn't a valid fix, the game needs to get fixed for this. It's not a great experience to constantly switch your monitor and xbox settings just to play the game.
The game has literally became unplayable on my Series X. Since launch I have been having a lot off issues with freezing gameplay, lighting glitching, and the issue where your first game doesn't connect to server. I was able to live with the first two issues. An the server issue I was able to fix by joining a custom game, letting it fail and rejoin and it would work, and I could play matchmaking all day fine.

This last week or so I've had issues where I have to join 3-4 custom games to get it to work. Then when I go to play social area, I can only play 2-3 games before my game freezes and crashes to dashboard.

I've uninstalled the game, reinstalled it. Tried my internal and external drive and same issues over and over. The game works perfectly fine on my Xbox One, and One X. Ports are open, NAT is Open.

Hopefully 343i will acknowledge this game has issues on Series X.

Edit:
Okay, So I think I may have fixed my main issue. I've seen it mentioned before and I am pretty sure the server issues are due to quick resume. I was previously playing the game on my external SSD and it was still showing quick resume sometimes when I launched the game. I pulled out my old mechanical HDD and now quick resume is disabled, and I was able to load into infection without playing a social game. Could be a coincidence but seems to be working for now. I still have frame rate and lighting issue though.
  1. 1
  2. ...
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. ...
  6. 4