2. ...
  3. 214
  4. 215
  5. 216
  6. 217
  7. 218
  8. ...
  9. 306
The following FAQ should answer some of your questions about Halo 5 bans. We will update this FAQ as necessary.

I received an in-game message saying I have been banned. Why?If you are checking this page because of an in-game message, it is likely that you have been banned for violating the terms of use and/or committing a code of conduct violation. It is also possible, in the case of an especially egregious violation, that your Xbox One system itself is now banned from Matchmaking. The duration of this ban is based on the type, frequency or nature of the committed violation. In most cases, Custom Games will still be available. In extreme cases, they will not.

How can I tell how long I was banned for?Ban duration will be shown on the red ban screen as the ban hammer strikes. First offences are generally low and last only a few minutes, but will increase in duration incrementally with each subsequent ban. The ban timer itself displays times as follows -
Days : Hours : Minutes : SecondsWhat types of actions can result in a ban?Types of violation include, but are not limited to, the following example actions:
  • Modifying your Xbox One hardware or game software and services in any way.
  • Idling through games, habitual quitting/suiciding/betraying, or any other type of unsociable and unsportsmanlike behavior.
  • Impersonating a 343 Industries or Microsoft employee on Xbox LIVE with intent to defraud or cause harm to other players.
Why was I banned for winning a match / quitting one match / quitting a custom game? *You weren't. The ban system runs at least 1 game behind so your ban will have been placed for a previous offence. After completing your next event, whether it is a matchmaking game, custom game, forge session, spectating a friend or viewing theatre, the system will then show you a message telling you that you have been banned. As it takes more than a single offence to earn a ban you will never be banned for leaving one match, it will be multiple offences that have led to a ban being placed on your account.

I shouldn't be banned. My brother/sister/cousin/dad/mom/friend must've logged on with my account and done bad things. Will you please reverse my ban?If this is indeed the case, we do understand your frustration. However, it is your sole responsibility to keep your account information secure and not share it with others who would abuse it. We have no way of detecting who is playing with your account, and if your gamertag is caught making naughty, you will be banned. Those are the rules.

I didn't do anything wrong, and you can't prove it. Will you please reverse my ban?Our automated system builds up a digital case of wrongdoing before any ban is enacted. If you accidentally disconnect a time or two, you won't get banned. Instead the system looks for patterns that can't happen accidentally. If the banhammer detects enough wrongdoing, you were doing wrong.

Will posting in this thread guarantee my ban will be lifted and that someone will respond personally to every post?Unfortunately, no. We simply don't have enough eyes, ears and typing hands to respond to every single post. However, the community will help keep you honest. You have a public game history for everyone to see. If you post you were banned unjustly, the community is in their rights to check out your history to confirm or deny your claims.Please, just keep it clean.

The purpose of this thread is to keep all questions pertaining to bans in one place. Without a megathread for such questions, the rest of the forum will almost certainly turn into a cavalcade of ban questions.

If you were banned and think you have a case, this is the ONLY thread you should post in. If other moderators see posts pertaining to bans in other threads, they will either be deleted outright or a kind-hearted mod might just move the posts to this thread.

If any users are caught habitually spamming ban threads in other threads, we will consider that a violation of the forum Terms of Use. You will risk being banned here as well. We don't want to have to ban anyone, but we do want an open, honest and positive place to post about all things Halo, so a thread like this is necessary.

Thanks in advance!

* [updated: 05/25/2016]
When is this section going to be updated to include FAQ pertaining to the random server hiccups that cause mid game disconnects that result in banhammers?
The following FAQ should answer some of your questions about Halo 5 bans. We will update this FAQ as necessary.

I received an in-game message saying I have been banned. Why?If you are checking this page because of an in-game message, it is likely that you have been banned for violating the terms of use and/or committing a code of conduct violation. It is also possible, in the case of an especially egregious violation, that your Xbox One system itself is now banned from Matchmaking. The duration of this ban is based on the type, frequency or nature of the committed violation. In most cases, Custom Games will still be available. In extreme cases, they will not.

How can I tell how long I was banned for?Ban duration will be shown on the red ban screen as the ban hammer strikes. First offences are generally low and last only a few minutes, but will increase in duration incrementally with each subsequent ban. The ban timer itself displays times as follows -
Days : Hours : Minutes : SecondsWhat types of actions can result in a ban?Types of violation include, but are not limited to, the following example actions:
  • Modifying your Xbox One hardware or game software and services in any way.
  • Idling through games, habitual quitting/suiciding/betraying, or any other type of unsociable and unsportsmanlike behavior.
  • Impersonating a 343 Industries or Microsoft employee on Xbox LIVE with intent to defraud or cause harm to other players.
Why was I banned for winning a match / quitting one match / quitting a custom game? *You weren't. The ban system runs at least 1 game behind so your ban will have been placed for a previous offence. After completing your next event, whether it is a matchmaking game, custom game, forge session, spectating a friend or viewing theatre, the system will then show you a message telling you that you have been banned. As it takes more than a single offence to earn a ban you will never be banned for leaving one match, it will be multiple offences that have led to a ban being placed on your account.

I shouldn't be banned. My brother/sister/cousin/dad/mom/friend must've logged on with my account and done bad things. Will you please reverse my ban?If this is indeed the case, we do understand your frustration. However, it is your sole responsibility to keep your account information secure and not share it with others who would abuse it. We have no way of detecting who is playing with your account, and if your gamertag is caught making naughty, you will be banned. Those are the rules.

I didn't do anything wrong, and you can't prove it. Will you please reverse my ban?Our automated system builds up a digital case of wrongdoing before any ban is enacted. If you accidentally disconnect a time or two, you won't get banned. Instead the system looks for patterns that can't happen accidentally. If the banhammer detects enough wrongdoing, you were doing wrong.

Will posting in this thread guarantee my ban will be lifted and that someone will respond personally to every post?Unfortunately, no. We simply don't have enough eyes, ears and typing hands to respond to every single post. However, the community will help keep you honest. You have a public game history for everyone to see. If you post you were banned unjustly, the community is in their rights to check out your history to confirm or deny your claims.Please, just keep it clean.

The purpose of this thread is to keep all questions pertaining to bans in one place. Without a megathread for such questions, the rest of the forum will almost certainly turn into a cavalcade of ban questions.

If you were banned and think you have a case, this is the ONLY thread you should post in. If other moderators see posts pertaining to bans in other threads, they will either be deleted outright or a kind-hearted mod might just move the posts to this thread.

If any users are caught habitually spamming ban threads in other threads, we will consider that a violation of the forum Terms of Use. You will risk being banned here as well. We don't want to have to ban anyone, but we do want an open, honest and positive place to post about all things Halo, so a thread like this is necessary.

Thanks in advance!

* [updated: 05/25/2016]
When is this section going to be updated to include FAQ pertaining to the random server hiccups that cause mid game disconnects that result in banhammers?
If it is an actual hiccup with the server everyone drops from the game. If only you drop from the game it's on your end.
Really isn't fair to me when my team quits completely and I am slaughtered the whole match but I stick it out till the last 2 minutes and then I just start jumping off a ledge because I find that more enjoyable than being repeatedly sniped and rocketed to death only to be booted 30 seconds from the end of the round and get banned for griefing myself :/

On a side note: If I was doing this during a regular match i'd support it fully but when I'm alone vs 4 players........oh well
I have only owned my Xbox and Halo 5 game for 6 days and I have spent the last 2 days banned from playing online. I know I am rubbish at Halo but I do not know what I have done wrong. I cannot find the red 'banhammer' to see how long I am banned for. It is very frustrating and frankly, unfair.
How can I find out what caused the ban? And where is the banhammer?
I have only owned my Xbox and Halo 5 game for 6 days and I have spent the last 2 days banned from playing online. I know I am rubbish at Halo but I do not know what I have done wrong. I cannot find the red 'banhammer' to see how long I am banned for. It is very frustrating and frankly, unfair.
If you didn't receive a 'banhammer strikes' message you haven't been banned. Try hard resetting your console by pressing and holding down the button on the front of your console until it completely shuts down, wait a few minutes and then boot up the game. You can also try power cycling your router.
If you didn't receive a 'banhammer strikes' message you haven't been banned. Try hard resetting your console by pressing and holding down the button on the front of your console until it completely shuts down, wait a few minutes and then boot up the game. You can also try power cycling your router.
Occasionally, when the banhammer strikes., at least for myself. The message appears for one second then just disappears without me even seeing it. Perhaps this happened to Cool Cucumber40.
Sierra0331 wrote:
I DSG I wrote:
But I had a match were I quit because two of my four teammates were inactive...This was the first time I has quit in 3 days.
I got a 24 hour ban...surely thats not right...
Had to wait it out and a day of social CTF.
Can anyone tell me why I got a 24 hour ban for this?
I' m not mad ( ANYMORE ) but would still like to know why I got the huge ban if possible.
Was this your first ban? Most likely not. Each time you're banned the ban length becomes longer.
Not true, myself and two friends just got banned for 6 days. It was our first offence.
Sierra0331 wrote:
I DSG I wrote:
But I had a match were I quit because two of my four teammates were inactive...This was the first time I has quit in 3 days.
I' m not mad ( ANYMORE ) but would still like to know why I got the huge ban if possible.
Was this your first ban? Most likely not. Each time you're banned the ban length becomes longer.
Not true, myself and two friends just got banned for 6 days. It was our first offence.
Initial bans for most misconduct are short. If you were banned for 6 days I assume it wasn't for DNFs, Idling, or griefing.
Sierra0331 wrote:
I DSG I wrote:
Initial bans for most misconduct are short. If you were banned for 6 days I assume it wasn't for DNFs, Idling, or griefing.
It was for griefing.
not racing
Sierra0331 wrote:
I DSG I wrote:
It was for griefing.
not racing
That was probably a special case.
Sierra0331 wrote:
I DSG I wrote:
It was for griefing.
not racing
That was probably a special case.
Not trying to start an argument or anything but other than lagging out of the occasional game ie. 1 a month or so, it was all of our first times for being banned. It did take about three days before the BanHammer to strike, but it seems it does swing pretty hard sometimes.

This post has been hidden.

The solution to prevent a ban as a result of a legit disconnect (due to network issues) is really simple and was discussed elsewhere already:

Instead of annoying people by placing them in already running (and often lost) matches just simply allow a player who gets disconnected to re-join that match.
That should be done for both social and ranked matches. No replacing of early quitters by innocent players looking for a match.

I get my fair share of game disconnects and I doubt it is anything with my xbox or my network. I am in a party with friends and that party still works fine.
IMHO this is a clear indicator that the disconnect more likely is on the Halo side (so-called dedicated server).
I am just curious if the stacking offences ever reset or do they stack indefinitely?
Sll7 Tiggs wrote:
I am just curious if the stacking offences ever reset or do they stack indefinitely?
There isn't a reset as far as I know. I have a hypothesis that it is in part based on percentages which means a lot of matches played without incident should make it less likely for you to get banned.
Wish they brought the voting mechinasism back like in halo reach. My first ban was because I was in Swat training my commendations and I kept getting wrong game type . So I left at beginning not realizing others wouldn't join. Now I worry about leaving any game Even big team battle. I wish I knew more precisely what caused bans.
Sll7 Tiggs wrote:
Wish they brought the voting mechinasism back like in halo reach. My first ban was because I was in Swat training my commendations and I kept getting wrong game type . So I left at beginning not realizing others wouldn't join. Now I worry about leaving any game Even big team battle. I wish I knew more precisely what caused bans.
Go to this link.
Scroll down to the section "Matchmaking", subsection "The Banhammer Strikes!".
There you will find a list of all the behaviors that qualify as matchmaking misconduct.
Spoiler:
Show
Chimera30 wrote:
Sll7 Tiggs wrote:
Go to this link.
There you will find a list of all the behaviors that qualify as matchmaking misconduct.
Spoiler:
Show
I meant in greater detail than that, I already looked it up many times but nothing really detailed just General things . No #'s or what game types. For example a player can commit 50 suicides in rally hog race yet not get banned . My first ban wasrank at SR 95 and it was for DNF but I had left plenty of games long before I reached that. Thing is though most were warzone or social at SR 95 I played swat and left two games. And was banned for two minutes, then I di dent understand still got banned for 10 trying to figure out the system

so does leaving a ranked vs a social or warzone different
Sll7 Tiggs wrote:
Chimera30 wrote:
Sll7 Tiggs wrote:
Go to this link.
Spoiler:
Show
I meant in greater detail than that, I already looked it up many times but nothing really detailed just General things . No #'s or what game types
I don't think there is any game that specifically states how much leeway you get. Like "You can quit 2 games before you start getting banned". If people knew that information, everybody would abuse that leeway.
The point of the matchmaking rules isn't to let you know how much you can get away with before experiencing consequences. The rules are there to tell you what kind of behavior to abstain from at all times.
  1. 1
  2. ...
  3. 214
  4. 215
  5. 216
  6. 217
  7. 218
  8. ...
  9. 306