Forums / Support / Halo 5: Guardians Support

The official Halo 5 "Why was I banned?" thread

OP WulfwoodsSins

  1. 1
  2. ...
  3. 234
  4. 235
  5. 236
  6. ...
  7. 237
Chimera30 wrote:
I just hard reset it. I unplugged the power cable from both the xbox and the surge protector, and left them until the light on the power brick went out, which was about 2 minutes.

I can play Battlefront online with no issue.
It could be the case that the console you bought, having been used, specifically has been permabanned from Halo 5 matchmaking. Could be the reason why the original owner sold it to Gamestop in the first place. I'm not sure if there is anything you can do to check this, though it is a possibility when buying used consoles.

I hope you held onto the receipt after you bought it. If you're still within the return/exchange period, if all else fails you could try getting a different used Xbox One.
There should be some sort of way to remove console bans when you sell it. It kind of ruins the console for others.
That's more on the 3rd party vendor to check on the status of consoles. If there were ways to remove console bans, the banned people would exploit it to not have to buy new consoles. Console bans are necessary because account bans can just be circumvented by making new accounts on the same console. I suppose IP bans could be used instead, but there are ways to change or mask you IP (at least at the level of your machine). Or you could just change ISPs to really change your IP. Ultimately, console bans are a last resort for the worst of offenders, but even then it's not guaranteed to keep those offenders away. It just really inconveniences them because they have to go out and get another console; and that's about as good as we can hope for. If there were ways for places like Gamestop to check the status of consoles and whether any games have permanent bans associated with a particular serial #, then they could just refuse to buy a compromised console.

Ultimately, people should just by consoles new. Yes, it's more expensive, but it's the most sure way to get a console with no issues. Used consoles are cheaper but come with increased risk.
Chimera30 wrote:
Chimera30 wrote:
I just hard reset it. I unplugged the power cable from both the xbox and the surge protector, and left them until the light on the power brick went out, which was about 2 minutes.

I can play Battlefront online with no issue.
It could be the case that the console you bought, having been used, specifically has been permabanned from Halo 5 matchmaking. Could be the reason why the original owner sold it to Gamestop in the first place. I'm not sure if there is anything you can do to check this, though it is a possibility when buying used consoles.

I hope you held onto the receipt after you bought it. If you're still within the return/exchange period, if all else fails you could try getting a different used Xbox One.
There should be some sort of way to remove console bans when you sell it. It kind of ruins the console for others.
...If there were ways for places like Gamestop to check the status of consoles and whether any games have permanent bans associated with a particular serial #, then they could just refuse to buy a compromised console...
Actually, that's a really great idea, and Microsoft and the rest of them should look into it. Also, can any game give you a console ban, or just the ones made by Microsoft?
Chimera30 wrote:
Chimera30 wrote:
I just hard reset it. I unplugged the power cable from both the xbox and the surge protector, and left them until the light on the power brick went out, which was about 2 minutes.

I can play Battlefront online with no issue.
It could be the case that the console you bought, having been used, specifically has been permabanned from Halo 5 matchmaking. Could be the reason why the original owner sold it to Gamestop in the first place. I'm not sure if there is anything you can do to check this, though it is a possibility when buying used consoles.

I hope you held onto the receipt after you bought it. If you're still within the return/exchange period, if all else fails you could try getting a different used Xbox One.
There should be some sort of way to remove console bans when you sell it. It kind of ruins the console for others.
...If there were ways for places like Gamestop to check the status of consoles and whether any games have permanent bans associated with a particular serial #, then they could just refuse to buy a compromised console...
Actually, that's a really great idea, and Microsoft and the rest of them should look into it. Also, can any game give you a console ban, or just the ones made by Microsoft?
I don't know the ins-and-outs of console bans. Seems to me that any multiplayer game could do it. I think Overwatch console bans are a thing. You just need to be able to block the signal from a particular console.
I feel like I have achieved a lot in Halo 5. I have a ton of armor and emblems. I have a sweet Company that is hilarious and extremely talented. I still can't figure out how to get banned though. When I am losing I have a tendency to tough it out and fight until the bitter end. It seems like I have this habit during ranked or social matches. I have dropped connection a few since since Oct 2015 but I just can't get banned. It feels like the final step. Is there a Req Pack I can buy with like a "pwned your banned" card?

Sincerely,

Pulse Optional
I have been ban once because i had to use the rest room. Half the time will not let you back out even right after the end of a game.
Hi,

I just purchased Halo 5 a few days ago, and finished the campaign today. I figured that I would purchase Gold membership to play on live, but when I went to play, it told me I was banned. Today was the first day I ever tried to play Halo 5 online, and I was banned before I even played a game. I've only had my Xbox 1 for a few days, and it's not a system ban because I can play other games on Live. You can look at my match history and see that I have no matches played. Help?

Thanks,
ShardbladeSyl
Wow I've never heard of that one before. Be sure that your Xbox has not been Jailbroken. If it was a used Xbox bought at a garage sale or online site other than Microsoft that could very well be the issue. Some people who have Jailbroke their Xbox will put up for sale online because they become useless and they scam people into buying them at a cut rate price. Stay honest.
I'v been ban for inactivity while i was playing. WTF seriously thants some -Yoink- right here.
I'v been ban for inactivity while i was playing. WTF seriously thants some -Yoink- right here.
I'm guessing you are referring to this game? I can't view game footage, but perhaps comedyshermit could if he has time.

Anyways, what you may be seeing is a delay in the activation of a ban. It's common for bans in Halo 5 to come a game or two after your actual infraction. So you could have been idling in one game, gotten booted, but the ban didn't apply until after your next game. This can cause confusion because it can look like you got banned for playing normally, but in reality, your ban is for back whenever you did something wrong, and it's just late in showing up.
I'v been ban for inactivity while i was playing. WTF seriously thants some -Yoink- right here.
You were idling in this match;
https://youtu.be/gUdFJnyVvMk
I'm hate getting a betrayal ban because I'm doing good and littlejohnny4534773248 isn't getting any kills so he tries to kill me, and in return I kill him to prevent myself from being killed.
I'm hate getting a betrayal ban because I'm doing good and littlejohnny4534773248 isn't getting any kills so he tries to kill me, and in return I kill him to prevent myself from being killed.
Be careful with naming names. It looks like "littlejohnny" is a fake GT you came up with, but I had to check because it looks like calling out.

Anyways, the old adage "two wrongs don't make a right" applies here. If a user is being unsporting to you, the correct response is not to be unsporting back. The correct response, currently, is to report the user over Xbox Live. Stooping to their level and betraying them back makes you at fault, too. If you don't want to get banned, don't betray; end of story.
My account is banned from matchmaking. Can you tell me why, and how to re-instate it?

edit: by the way, the "0" in "About" is a zero, and the "i" in "Ninjas" is an L.
Chimera30 wrote:
I'm hate getting a betrayal ban because I'm doing good and littlejohnny4534773248 isn't getting any kills so he tries to kill me, and in return I kill him to prevent myself from being killed.
Be careful with naming names. It looks like "littlejohnny" is a fake GT you came up with, but I had to check because it looks like calling out.

Anyways, the old adage "two wrongs don't make a right" applies here. If a user is being unsporting to you, the correct response is not to be unsporting back. The correct response, currently, is to report the user over Xbox Live. Stooping to their level and betraying them back makes you at fault, too. If you don't want to get banned, don't betray; end of story.
Right so when I'm close to getting a perfection I should just let my teammate kill me because he's mad that I'm playing well.
And if you paid attention you'd know immediately that it wasn't an actual gamertag because gamertag are only 15 charcters long.
Chimera30 wrote:
I'm hate getting a betrayal ban because I'm doing good and littlejohnny4534773248 isn't getting any kills so he tries to kill me, and in return I kill him to prevent myself from being killed.
Be careful with naming names. It looks like "littlejohnny" is a fake GT you came up with, but I had to check because it looks like calling out.

Anyways, the old adage "two wrongs don't make a right" applies here. If a user is being unsporting to you, the correct response is not to be unsporting back. The correct response, currently, is to report the user over Xbox Live. Stooping to their level and betraying them back makes you at fault, too. If you don't want to get banned, don't betray; end of story.
Right so when I'm close to getting a perfection I should just let my teammate kill me because he's mad that I'm playing well.
And if you paid attention you'd know immediately that it wasn't an actual gamertag because gamertag are only 15 charcters long.
If you don't want to run the risk of getting banned yourself, you should ignore the player as best you can, try to distance yourself from them, or something. If they are baiting you to betray them and you do, they win. If they actually betray you, then they'll get booted, and you can continue on. Yeah, it sucks that you lose out on that potential perfection, but at least you don't also get banned.
My account is banned from matchmaking. Can you tell me why, and how to re-instate it?

edit: by the way, the "0" in "About" is a zero, and the "i" in "Ninjas" is an L.
Apparently you were banned for quitting too many games. You have 8 dnf's and only 12 games played. You will have to wait till the time runs out on your ban.
Hello, I just recently reactivated my Xbox live subscriptionand was excited to play Halo. Well, I logged on yesterday to be told I was banned. I’m not sure how long, it said 19, so I’m assuming that was hours? Which seems really long. Additionally, it said it was for idling in too many games. I have been having issues with my internet recently because of hurricane Irma ( I live in south Florida). I have the day off and I really just want to play halo! I was wondering if anything can be done? Thanks.
ROSEYPOSIE wrote:
Hello, I just recently reactivated my Xbox live subscriptionand was excited to play Halo. Well, I logged on yesterday to be told I was banned. I’m not sure how long, it said 19, so I’m assuming that was hours? Which seems really long. Additionally, it said it was for idling in too many games. I have been having issues with my internet recently because of hurricane Irma ( I live in south Florida). I have the day off and I really just want to play halo! I was wondering if anything can be done? Thanks.
The ban timer can be read as Days : Hours : Minutes : Seconds. So if it said something like 00:19:00:00, then that would be 19 hours. 19 hours is quite a lengthy ban; that suggests that you've been banned before in Halo 5.
Anyways, since the ban system told you it was for idling, I think internet issues aren't the problem. Idling is a specific thing; it means the system did not detect controller input for over 2 minutes. Internet trouble wouldn't lead to idling; that behavior is very much done purposefully by the player. If your ban was for, let's say, leaving too many games, then maybe you could say that internet trouble has been leading to you disconnecting alot. But you say your ban was for idling, so that means you've either been purposefully sitting and doing nothing in games to try and get XP/RP without actually playing, or you've left the controller alone too long too many times to go use the bathroom, or get a snack, or answer a call, or whatever. Either way, internet trouble wouldn't cause that.
Nothing can be done; you'll have to wait for your ban to end. In the future, don't idle. This includes trying to rig your controller so that your character spins in a circle automatically during a game or something like that.
Chimera30 wrote:
ROSEYPOSIE wrote:
Hello, I just recently reactivated my Xbox live subscriptionand was excited to play Halo. Well, I logged on yesterday to be told I was banned. I’m not sure how long, it said 19, so I’m assuming that was hours? Which seems really long. Additionally, it said it was for idling in too many games. I have been having issues with my internet recently because of hurricane Irma ( I live in south Florida). I have the day off and I really just want to play halo! I was wondering if anything can be done? Thanks.
The ban timer can be read as Days : Hours : Minutes : Seconds. So if it said something like 00:19:00:00, then that would be 19 hours. 19 hours is quite a lengthy ban; that suggests that you've been banned before in Halo 5.
Anyways, since the ban system told you it was for idling, I think internet issues aren't the problem. Idling is a specific thing; it means the system did not detect controller input for over 2 minutes. Internet trouble wouldn't lead to idling; that behavior is very much done purposefully by the player. If your ban was for, let's say, leaving too many games, then maybe you could say that internet trouble has been leading to you disconnecting alot. But you say your ban was for idling, so that means you've either been purposefully sitting and doing nothing in games to try and get XP/RP without actually playing, or you've left the controller alone too long too many times to go use the bathroom, or get a snack, or answer a call, or whatever. Either way, internet trouble wouldn't cause that.
Nothing can be done; you'll have to wait for your ban to end. In the future, don't idle. This includes trying to rig your controller so that your character spins in a circle automatically during a game or something like that.
Thanks for the response. It doesn’t make sense to me. I’m definitely not doing things like that as a casual gamer. I’ve also never been banned before so that is why it is very confusing for me! I’ve only been back to playing for like 3 or 4 days, before I hadn’t played in over a year. Maybe I did something before my long lapse of playing that I don’t remember. Anyway, thanks again for the quick response!
Just wow 343. Thanks for the ban for no apparent reason... yet again. Sitting here playing a few games of clean slayer trying to rank. Just finished a super glitchy game and boom... BAN !! Big ole -Yoink- you isn't it. "Hey we matched you against people you shouldn't be playing again, you're gonna lose huge we're going to slow your game down and then after allllll that... you'll be banned. Why ? Because we don't want you to buy Halo 6". Okay, Halo 6 is off the buy list. 343, is a huge joke and Microsoft and Xbox need to reel them in. I'm tired of this -Yoink- !! These bans are ridiculous all of them that I'm reading about.
ooSnip3r wrote:
Just wow 343. Thanks for the ban for no apparent reason... yet again. Sitting here playing a few games of clean slayer trying to rank. Just finished a super glitchy game and boom... BAN !! Big ole -Yoink- you isn't it. "Hey we matched you against people you shouldn't be playing again, you're gonna lose huge we're going to slow your game down and then after allllll that... you'll be banned. Why ? Because we don't want you to buy Halo 6". Okay, Halo 6 is off the buy list. 343, is a huge joke and Microsoft and Xbox need to reel them in. I'm tired of this -Yoink- !! These bans are ridiculous all of them that I'm reading about.
18 DNF's in the last 2 weeks was more than likely the reason for you ban. Blaming 343 for you not finishing games makes no sense.
  1. 1
  2. ...
  3. 234
  4. 235
  5. 236
  6. ...
  7. 237