Skip to main content

Forums / Support / Halo 5: Guardians Support

The official Halo 5 "Why was I banned?" thread

OP WulfwoodsSins

  1. 1
  2. ...
  3. 302
  4. 303
  5. 304
  6. ...
  7. 305
I got a permanent ban hammer after a super laggy and terrible match of super fiesta. My internet sucks and will disconnect from games but it's not like I quit the games, I don't care about my K/D or not winning the game I just want to casually play. Honestly I don't play halo that often anymore but when I do, I play in the social playlist. Why am I being banned?
bodozer34 wrote:
I got a permanent ban hammer after a super laggy and terrible match of super fiesta. My internet sucks and will disconnect from games but it's not like I quit the games, I don't care about my K/D or not winning the game I just want to casually play. Honestly I don't play halo that often anymore but when I do, I play in the social playlist. Why am I being banned?
What makes you think your ban was permanent?

Disconnects are treated the same as quits because if disconnects were forgiven, people would unplug their ethernet or turn off their router when having bad games to avoid the banhammer. Thus, all DNFs are treated the same. But I've never heard of DNFs triggering a permanent ban. You either are mistaking your ban for a permanent one or--if you actually are permanently banned--the reason is more than just a few DNFs.
Chimera30 wrote:
bodozer34 wrote:
I got a permanent ban hammer after a super laggy and terrible match of super fiesta. My internet sucks and will disconnect from games but it's not like I quit the games, I don't care about my K/D or not winning the game I just want to casually play. Honestly I don't play halo that often anymore but when I do, I play in the social playlist. Why am I being banned?
What makes you think your ban was permanent?

Disconnects are treated the same as quits because if disconnects were forgiven, people would unplug their ethernet or turn off their router when having bad games to avoid the banhammer. Thus, all DNFs are treated the same. But I've never heard of DNFs triggering a permanent ban. You either are mistaking your ban for a permanent one or--if you actually are permanently banned--the reason is more than just a few DNFs.
Ok I did mistake it for a permanent ban, thanks for clearing up the DNF stuff.
I got banned today because I suck, I was in an intense Husky Raid and kept accidentally running or jumping off the edge. If the opposing team didn’t suck so much also they could’ve gotten credit for the kill by shooting me once or twice instead of me purely suiciding on accident!
Alright. Someone PLEASE INVESTIGATE what the reset timer for the bans is, because this is bordering on absurdity.

I literally got an 8 hour ban for this game where I DNF'd to not be last place and turned what was supposed to be the last match of the night into an eternal waiting list. While I did expect a ban, I did not expect an 8 hour one: Why?

I have DNF'd from exactly three, THREE games in the last 24 hours. The remaining time was not spent on Halo. I was not banned for DNF one (for obvious reasons), I was not either from DNF 2 (and I would've been even more pissed off/should've turned the damn thing down because it was a freaking Join in Progress match with the enemy being at 80 kills already. 80!) and then I quit this time to avoid being the last place (due to a series of bad luck events). I did expect a ban, BUT NOT AN 8 HOUR ONE! This means the game is taking my last ban, which was a 4 hour one, into account!

Even though I don't mind the occasional wait (my time is not abundant but I have sufficient), if you look at my game history, you will see the last time I entered the game was on on the 27th! How on God's green Earth am I getting the ban doubling from FOUR DAYS AGO?!

Even the MCC has a freaking 24 hour reset counter that's standard for all games. Why is this game so secretive with bans? Why is there no more transparency so people who pray with an specific outcome or series of outcomes in mind do NOT get hit by these kinds of major inconveniences?! If I knew it would be 8 hours, I would've soldered on and hoped the next match was a victory, but instead I get THIS! Why?! For what reason?! People are not going to stop playing the game because they are getting banned! They are just going to wait it out and do the same ad nauseum. People will stop quitting when they know how many throws they have before they get hit and with exactly what we're hitting them.

Like, after this, I'm going to hope back and binge until I get my victory. I don't tolerate defeats in Carnage Reports (ironically, being able to turn them off would mean I'm a lot more open to just letting last place or subpar performances happen and take no issue with a loss), so I'm literally going to keep the game open until it resolves or I get another matchmaking match that I can win however I please.

Call me entitled, but at least I'm not ruining the game when I quit only when I am clearly dragging the team down and the match is 10 points from ending, with no hope of a recovery in sight. I don't leave behind teams that need an extra hand. I just don't like getting munchkinned.

By the way, the trains are not running behind, so to speak, or I wouldn't have been able to play several matches in a row several days ago. The system is, for some reason beyond me, carrying bans over four days old! In the MCC, it's 24 hours before it resets. I surely hope Infinite goes with that or shows you how long you will be banned if you use up all your quit tickets so you know what you're signing up for.
Hi, I got banned today and it hasn’t told me how long for? Can someone please let me know how long the ban is? Thanks
Zz Daddle wrote:
Hi, I got banned today and it hasn’t told me how long for? Can someone please let me know how long the ban is? Thanks
Can you relaunch the game and wait for the main screen to load? It should give you the number.
AsGryffynn wrote:
Alright. Someone PLEASE INVESTIGATE what the reset timer for the bans is, because this is bordering on absurdity.

I literally got an 8 hour ban for this game where I DNF'd to not be last place and turned what was supposed to be the last match of the night into an eternal waiting list. While I did expect a ban, I did not expect an 8 hour one: Why?

I have DNF'd from exactly three, THREE games in the last 24 hours. The remaining time was not spent on Halo. I was not banned for DNF one (for obvious reasons), I was not either from DNF 2 (and I would've been even more pissed off/should've turned the damn thing down because it was a freaking Join in Progress match with the enemy being at 80 kills already. 80!) and then I quit this time to avoid being the last place (due to a series of bad luck events). I did expect a ban, BUT NOT AN 8 HOUR ONE! This means the game is taking my last ban, which was a 4 hour one, into account! Even though I don't mind the occasional wait (my time is not abundant but I have sufficient), if you look at my game history, you will see the last time I entered the game was on on the 27th! How on God's green Earth am I getting the ban doubling from FOUR DAYS AGO?! Even the MCC has a freaking 24 hour reset counter that's standard for all games. Why is this game so secretive with bans? Why is there no more transparency so people who pray with an specific outcome or series of outcomes in mind do NOT get hit by these kinds of major inconveniences?! If I knew it would be 8 hours, I would've soldered on and hoped the next match was a victory, but instead I get THIS! Why?! For what reason?! People are not going to stop playing the game because they are getting banned! They are just going to wait it out and do the same ad nauseum. People will stop quitting when they know how many throws they have before they get hit and with exactly what we're hitting them.

Like, after this, I'm going to hope back and binge until I get my victory. I don't tolerate defeats in Carnage Reports (ironically, being able to turn them off would mean I'm a lot more open to just letting last place or subpar performances happen and take no issue with a loss), so I'm literally going to keep the game open until it resolves or I get another matchmaking match that I can win however I please.

Call me entitled, but at least I'm not ruining the game when I quit only when I am clearly dragging the team down and the match is 10 points from ending, with no hope of a recovery in sight. I don't leave behind teams that need an extra hand. I just don't like getting munchkinned.

By the way, the trains are not running behind, so to speak, or I wouldn't have been able to play several matches in a row several days ago. The system is, for some reason beyond me, carrying bans over four days old! In the MCC, it's 24 hours before it resets. I surely hope Infinite goes with that or shows you how long you will be banned if you use up all your quit tickets so you know what you're signing up for.
I believe H5's ban system is based on the percentage of dnfs to games played, not sure there is a reset time.
AsGryffynn wrote:
Alright. Someone PLEASE INVESTIGATE what the reset timer for the bans is, because this is bordering on absurdity.

I literally got an 8 hour ban for this game where I DNF'd to not be last place and turned what was supposed to be the last match of the night into an eternal waiting list. While I did expect a ban, I did not expect an 8 hour one: Why?

I have DNF'd from exactly three, THREE games in the last 24 hours. The remaining time was not spent on Halo. I was not banned for DNF one (for obvious reasons), I was not either from DNF 2 (and I would've been even more pissed off/should've turned the damn thing down because it was a freaking Join in Progress match with the enemy being at 80 kills already. 80!) and then I quit this time to avoid being the last place (due to a series of bad luck events). I did expect a ban, BUT NOT AN 8 HOUR ONE! This means the game is taking my last ban, which was a 4 hour one, into account! Even though I don't mind the occasional wait (my time is not abundant but I have sufficient), if you look at my game history, you will see the last time I entered the game was on on the 27th! How on God's green Earth am I getting the ban doubling from FOUR DAYS AGO?! Even the MCC has a freaking 24 hour reset counter that's standard for all games. Why is this game so secretive with bans? Why is there no more transparency so people who pray with an specific outcome or series of outcomes in mind do NOT get hit by these kinds of major inconveniences?! If I knew it would be 8 hours, I would've soldered on and hoped the next match was a victory, but instead I get THIS! Why?! For what reason?! People are not going to stop playing the game because they are getting banned! They are just going to wait it out and do the same ad nauseum. People will stop quitting when they know how many throws they have before they get hit and with exactly what we're hitting them.

Like, after this, I'm going to hope back and binge until I get my victory. I don't tolerate defeats in Carnage Reports (ironically, being able to turn them off would mean I'm a lot more open to just letting last place or subpar performances happen and take no issue with a loss), so I'm literally going to keep the game open until it resolves or I get another matchmaking match that I can win however I please.

Call me entitled, but at least I'm not ruining the game when I quit only when I am clearly dragging the team down and the match is 10 points from ending, with no hope of a recovery in sight. I don't leave behind teams that need an extra hand. I just don't like getting munchkinned.

By the way, the trains are not running behind, so to speak, or I wouldn't have been able to play several matches in a row several days ago. The system is, for some reason beyond me, carrying bans over four days old! In the MCC, it's 24 hours before it resets. I surely hope Infinite goes with that or shows you how long you will be banned if you use up all your quit tickets so you know what you're signing up for.
I believe H5's ban system is based on the percentage of dnfs to games played, not sure there is a reset time.
This is beyond foolish. A person might have to endure a losing spree just to reset the bloody timer! I also remember this didn't use to be the case around a year or two ago, when people who got banned for eight hours could just take a three day break and return and the next ban would be back to 10 minutes. This means someone who got banned, quit for ONE YEAR and returned and then forgot about the ban could easily get banned for a whole day, for quitting a game a year ago.

Gee, I wonder whether the MCC manages to stay playable with its (extremely lenient by comparison) ban system, where you know exactly how much tickets you have to bail out in a bad situation and the cost of further bails.

I really hope Infinite takes after the MCC and not H5.
AsGryffynn wrote:
Zz Daddle wrote:
Hi, I got banned today and it hasn’t told me how long for? Can someone please let me know how long the ban is? Thanks
Can you relaunch the game and wait for the main screen to load? It should give you the number.

Still nothing.. just states that I am banned with no time frame..
Could someone please let me know how long I am banned for!? It still doesn’t say how long? Thanks 🙏
Got disconnected 2 times in a row and was banned for 9 hours! I understand that it is annoying if your teammates quit, but its ridiculous to get banned for such time!
Got disconnected 2 times in a row and was banned for 9 hours! I understand that it is annoying if your teammates quit, but its ridiculous to get banned for such time!
If you were banned for 9 hours, you've been banned multiple times before. They start out at a couple minutes and roughly double with subsequent infractions.
I need to know why i got ban for 1 day
I need to know why i got ban for 1 day
Excessive quitting of games.
Hello I'm a guy who plays halo 5 everyday basically. I just got a ban for 95 days on all my accounts linked to my xbox one, my friends were breaking the rules without a doubt but all I did was play Team arena and I was banned. I did not part take in any "deranking" which is where you make another account and play very poorly on purpose. My friend John gt "Nukcd" insisted on playing on his other account that was a low rank. I am a pretty good player usually champ in the playlist I play in and my other buddy was also good, his gt is "Braeneac" and we played with another 4th but that person changed I believe once or twice. Anyways I thought nothing of it, we still matched diamond level players and one game we matched a few champs. I was not trying to "boost" at all. All I did was play TA with my friends, all my friends that took part in the "deranking" were also banned, which makes sense, however in my friend group, we all agreed that I was the odd one out. I truly believe this is a major mistake. How do I appeal a ban or do something about it. Waking up and seeing I've been banned for 95 days broke my freaking heart man.

I am going to copy this reply to post it, in search to find some answers maybe.
Aztarex wrote:
Hello I'm a guy who plays halo 5 everyday basically. I just got a ban for 95 days on all my accounts linked to my xbox one, my friends were breaking the rules without a doubt but all I did was play Team arena and I was banned. I did not part take in any "deranking" which is where you make another account and play very poorly on purpose. My friend John gt "Nukcd" insisted on playing on his other account that was a low rank. I am a pretty good player usually champ in the playlist I play in and my other buddy was also good, his gt is "Braeneac" and we played with another 4th but that person changed I believe once or twice. Anyways I thought nothing of it, we still matched diamond level players and one game we matched a few champs. I was not trying to "boost" at all. All I did was play TA with my friends, all my friends that took part in the "deranking" were also banned, which makes sense, however in my friend group, we all agreed that I was the odd one out. I truly believe this is a major mistake. How do I appeal a ban or do something about it. Waking up and seeing I've been banned for 95 days broke my freaking heart man.

I am going to copy this reply to post it, in search to find some answers maybe.
You played a bunch of games with foguye6fg.He was definitely deranking — he started out with 0-5 kills vs silver level or quit numerous games and then started playing like an onyx once he played with you/other teammates.

If you play with a deranker, you’re along for the full ride and the applicable bans.

There’s no appeal, just make sure to not play with a deranker or do anything else to manipulate matchmaking once your ban ends — next time the ban will be even longer.
First match after work super fiesta party map I've never seen before fell off once while fighting blew myself up once with incineration cannon and dropped off map using lift that didnt put me all the way across I understand griefing is a problem but really a ban for 3 suicides is ridiculous I shouldn't have to be good at halo to not get banned note I dont think I'm that bad I have a positive k/d but sometimes do dumb stuff cause you know it's a game and I just want to unwind and have some fun also it was capture the flag so my deaths dont effect the score
Alcatraiz wrote:
First match after work super fiesta party map I've never seen before fell off once while fighting blew myself up once with incineration cannon and dropped off map using lift that didnt put me all the way across I understand griefing is a problem but really a ban for 3 suicides is ridiculous I shouldn't have to be good at halo to not get banned note I dont think I'm that bad I have a positive k/d but sometimes do dumb stuff cause you know it's a game and I just want to unwind and have some fun also it was capture the flag so my deaths dont effect the score
How long was your ban? If it hasn’t become a pattern, it would be very short.
IGRS wrote:
Alcatraiz wrote:
First match after work super fiesta party map I've never seen before fell off once while fighting blew myself up once with incineration cannon and dropped off map using lift that didnt put me all the way across I understand griefing is a problem but really a ban for 3 suicides is ridiculous I shouldn't have to be good at halo to not get banned note I dont think I'm that bad I have a positive k/d but sometimes do dumb stuff cause you know it's a game and I just want to unwind and have some fun also it was capture the flag so my deaths dont effect the score
How long was your ban? If it hasn’t become a pattern, it would be very short.
Not long 10 minutes or so but I feel like if someone was griefing it would be more than 3 suicides like people get punished for a few mistakes in a short period of time now i get worried if i blow myself up like I'm gonna accidentally get banned again for a longer period for another bad game i wasn't happy about my deaths but getting booted and told i was banned even for a few minutes was kinda a shock
  1. 1
  2. ...
  3. 302
  4. 303
  5. 304
  6. ...
  7. 305