Skip to main content

Forums / Support / Halo 5: Guardians Support

The official Halo 5 "Why was I banned?" thread

OP WulfwoodsSins

  1. 1
  2. ...
  3. 304
  4. 305
  5. 306
  6. 307
  7. ...
  8. 308
Why is it our problem and frustration to get banned when the servers kick us out and is there any way to reverse bans for this reason?
They don’t currently have a way to tell server kick vs your connection dropping so it’s all treated the same. It needs to happen often enough for you to get banned, and the first ban starts very short and increases with more disconnects / quits. If it happens often, it’s best to troubleshoot to find what’s causing the issue (connection quality, open NAT, firewall settings, etc).

You can’t reverse bans — unless you dropped out tons of times your ban shouldn’t be very long.
Why is it our problem and frustration to get banned when the servers kick us out and is there any way to reverse bans for this reason?
If you are getting banned for disconnects, then you are disconnecting much more often than the average player, which means your connection is ruining the game for players that aren't having the same issues nearly as often, which means bans will be likely until the amount of disconnects goes down to a normal level.
I got banned for idling through games in both warzone and arena. I was playing only warzone firefight mode last night and I didn't got kick out for idling through games. Why I got banned for 14 days?
Why I got banned for 14 days?
I got banned for idling through games in both warzone and arena.
Seems you answered your own question.
I literally just had back to back network disconnections and am being told I'm banned. No time frame or anything. It was network disconnecting, and I had top gun in one match with no motive or intent to disconnect, just was removed from the server. How is this a "you are obviously in the wrong?"
Why I got banned for 14 days?
I got banned for idling through games in both warzone and arena.
Seems you answered your own question.
I didn't do anything about idling and I got banned for idling, lol thats fair enough.
Why I got banned for 14 days?
I got banned for idling through games in both warzone and arena.
Seems you answered your own question.
If I did idle through games, I would be kicked out from the games,but I finished every games that night, so I want to know why I got banned
Why I got banned for 14 days?
I got banned for idling through games in both warzone and arena.
Seems you answered your own question.
If I did idle through games, I would be kicked out from the games,but I finished every games that night, so I want to know why I got banned
If you’re idling enough, you can be banned even if the boot timer doesn’t kick in.

Trying to avoid the boot timer is worse, it’s going to assume that you’re abusing the system.
IGRS wrote:
Why I got banned for 14 days?
I got banned for idling through games in both warzone and arena.
Seems you answered your own question.
If I did idle through games, I would be kicked out from the games,but I finished every games that night, so I want to know why I got banned
If you’re idling enough, you can be banned even if the boot timer doesn’t kick in.

Trying to avoid the boot timer is worse, it’s going to assume that you’re abusing the system.
You mean the idle time is autocumulative? That doesn't makes sense,how can the system tell the difference between "a player is idling" and "a player is bad at shooting, and he/she likes to lurk in the corner"? Does the system want to deprive these people of the right to play the game in their own way? That's unfair.
IGRS wrote:
Why I got banned for 14 days?
I got banned for idling through games in both warzone and arena.
Seems you answered your own question.
If I did idle through games, I would be kicked out from the games,but I finished every games that night, so I want to know why I got banned
If you’re idling enough, you can be banned even if the boot timer doesn’t kick in.

Trying to avoid the boot timer is worse, it’s going to assume that you’re abusing the system.
You mean the idle time is autocumulative? That doesn't makes sense,how can the system tell the difference between "a player is idling" and "a player is bad at shooting, and he/she likes to lurk in the corner"? Does the system want to deprive these people of the right to play the game in their own way? That's unfair.
It’s more than just cumulative— they use some sort of algorithm to catch players who are trying to bypass the boot. If you’re just playing normally it wouldn’t affect you, even if you “lurk” as you say.

Edit: Just saw some of your most recent game. You hid and spun in circles most of the time, a clear example of abusing the system to avoid getting booted. It’s worse than idling for the other players because you aren’t contributing and aren’t allowing someone else to drop into the game.
Is it just me or does it always seem like the ban option only comes to those who actually betrays you and when somebody betray you the system turns a blind eye? (it hasn't happened to me for a long time thank god but still I think it's pretty messed up and relevant that the few times I actually got banned was either from quitting a game where I got spawn killed by teammates and the option of banning them never came up once or when I kill somebody who has killed me many times once)

Also why does the option to ban somebody never come up in matchmaking? and why does the option to kick somebody only come up in the lobby and not in game so the creator easily can remove the "problem" and everybody can enjoy the custom game.
I tried to start up Halo 5 and there was the banhammer. I’m banned for 10 days for “intentionally choosing to ruin the fun of the game for other players”. I have only played 2 online matches ever with halo 5 (xcloud) and that was last weekend so I can only guess that the ban was even longer than 10 days and don’t even know why.

could use some help or clarification.

Thank you
I get banned pretty much every single day I play this game from THEIR servers dropping my connection. And no, this system can /not/ tell if you did anything wrong, today's ban was 30 minutes because the Halo Servers disconnected me just before the match was about to start, twice in a row. That's it. And it did the same thing to me yesterday, so I get a full 30 minutes. What the heck am I paying for? This system is such trash.

We paid for the game, and then they make us pay an extra 15 bucks a month to actually play it online - the entire reason for owning a Halo game, and then they kick us out from playing the game we overpaid for because THEIR servers drop our connection. If this company keeps up this theft then their next title will fail hard, and they'll deserve it too.
FluffyYarn wrote:
I get banned pretty much every single day I play this game from THEIR servers dropping my connection. And no, this system can /not/ tell if you did anything wrong, today's ban was 30 minutes because the Halo Servers disconnected me just before the match was about to start, twice in a row. That's it. And it did the same thing to me yesterday, so I get a full 30 minutes. What the heck am I paying for? This system is such trash.

We paid for the game, and then they make us pay an extra 15 bucks a month to actually play it online - the entire reason for owning a Halo game, and then they kick us out from playing the game we overpaid for because THEIR servers drop our connection. If this company keeps up this theft then their next title will fail hard, and they'll deserve it too.
If you are getting banned then you are getting dropped much more often than the average player. If you are getting dropped when other players are not getting dropped, then it is more likely an issue with your provider and / or connection than it is with the game in general. H5 uses its own networking protocol and some providers treat that protocol as if it were a bad thing and drop you because of it, which isn't something that can be changed on the game side.

Because you are dropping more than usual, you are also ruining the game more than usual for the other 7 players in each match, so it is better to ban you until you fix your issues than it is to let you ruin the game for 7x more people than just you.
I got banned for no apparent reason. There is not time limit so I assume it is indefinetly. What can I do to address this? I have no idea what the cause of the issue as I don't chat, I don't tea-bag, etc. My credit card expired and I had to renew it for Xbox Live Gold, but is that a reason to ban me?
I got banned for no apparent reason. There is not time limit so I assume it is indefinetly. What can I do to address this? I have no idea what the cause of the issue as I don't chat, I don't tea-bag, etc. My credit card expired and I had to renew it for Xbox Live Gold, but is that a reason to ban me?
I do not see a ban on you.
ZaedynFel wrote:
I got banned for no apparent reason. There is not time limit so I assume it is indefinetly. What can I do to address this? I have no idea what the cause of the issue as I don't chat, I don't tea-bag, etc. My credit card expired and I had to renew it for Xbox Live Gold, but is that a reason to ban me?
I do not see a ban on you.
EDIT: Sorry I replied to the wrong person.
ZaedynFel wrote:
FluffyYarn wrote:
I get banned pretty much every single day I play this game from THEIR servers dropping my connection. And no, this system can /not/ tell if you did anything wrong, today's ban was 30 minutes because the Halo Servers disconnected me just before the match was about to start, twice in a row. That's it. And it did the same thing to me yesterday, so I get a full 30 minutes. What the heck am I paying for? This system is such trash.

We paid for the game, and then they make us pay an extra 15 bucks a month to actually play it online - the entire reason for owning a Halo game, and then they kick us out from playing the game we overpaid for because THEIR servers drop our connection. If this company keeps up this theft then their next title will fail hard, and they'll deserve it too.
If you are getting banned then you are getting dropped much more often than the average player. If you are getting dropped when other players are not getting dropped, then it is more likely an issue with your provider and / or connection than it is with the game in general. H5 uses its own networking protocol and some providers treat that protocol as if it were a bad thing and drop you because of it, which isn't something that can be changed on the game side.

Because you are dropping more than usual, you are also ruining the game more than usual for the other 7 players in each match, so it is better to ban you until you fix your issues than it is to let you ruin the game for 7x more people than just you
This isn't true. It's because the drops happen twice in a row, or within 2-3 games. But ONCE in a day of playing. So that equals 2 'quits' in a day of playing, and I don't play every day. That's far less than an actual rage-quitter, match quitter, etc. I usually don't quit matches where it's 3v4, which happens all the time, or even 2v4 most of the time, or 1v4 sometimes. So no, I haven't been 'ruining the game more than usual', and I feel like it was unfair of you to immediately make that assumption about me.

I stopped playing the rest of the day as soon as the ban crap happened because /I/ don't want to play with the connection dropping either. I feel like it's a console/update bug or the local halo server, because this never used to happen to me, and my service hasn't changed, it's completely solid. Nothing else in the house drops, and I have a lot of devices just like everyone does, speed/bandwidth has been fine. And even in the game between the two games that dropped today, there were no lags.

So yah, I don't appreciate being accused of 'ruining the game more than usual' for 2 drops, after which I didn't play for the rest of the day, and at worst, maybe tested to see if it was working again after the ban lifted, though, I'm not even sure if I did that.
FluffyYarn wrote:
ZaedynFel wrote:
FluffyYarn wrote:
I get banned pretty much every single day I play this game from THEIR servers dropping my connection. And no, this system can /not/ tell if you did anything wrong, today's ban was 30 minutes because the Halo Servers disconnected me just before the match was about to start, twice in a row. That's it. And it did the same thing to me yesterday, so I get a full 30 minutes. What the heck am I paying for? This system is such trash.

We paid for the game, and then they make us pay an extra 15 bucks a month to actually play it online - the entire reason for owning a Halo game, and then they kick us out from playing the game we overpaid for because THEIR servers drop our connection. If this company keeps up this theft then their next title will fail hard, and they'll deserve it too.
If you are getting banned then you are getting dropped much more often than the average player. If you are getting dropped when other players are not getting dropped, then it is more likely an issue with your provider and / or connection than it is with the game in general. H5 uses its own networking protocol and some providers treat that protocol as if it were a bad thing and drop you because of it, which isn't something that can be changed on the game side.

Because you are dropping more than usual, you are also ruining the game more than usual for the other 7 players in each match, so it is better to ban you until you fix your issues than it is to let you ruin the game for 7x more people than just you
This isn't true. It's because the drops happen twice in a row, or within 2-3 games. But ONCE in a day of playing. So that equals 2 'quits' in a day of playing, and I don't play every day. That's far less than an actual rage-quitter, match quitter, etc. I usually don't quit matches where it's 3v4, which happens all the time, or even 2v4 most of the time, or 1v4 sometimes. So no, I haven't been 'ruining the game more than usual', and I feel like it was unfair of you to immediately make that assumption about me.

I stopped playing the rest of the day as soon as the ban crap happened because /I/ don't want to play with the connection dropping either. I feel like it's a console/update bug or the local halo server, because this never used to happen to me, and my service hasn't changed, it's completely solid. Nothing else in the house drops, and I have a lot of devices just like everyone does, speed/bandwidth has been fine. And even in the game between the two games that dropped today, there were no lags.

So yah, I don't appreciate being accused of 'ruining the game more than usual' for 2 drops, after which I didn't play for the rest of the day, and at worst, maybe tested to see if it was working again after the ban lifted, though, I'm not even sure if I did that.
If it were a console/update or local server bug, then we would be seeing a ton of issues overall, or at least in that datacenter, and we are not. Generally when we investigate these occurrences we find it was a change in ISP policy around our protocols or similar, and nothing on our side.

The reason the system bans even though it may be an ISP issue is to encourage players to resolve the issue before returning because it does indeed ruin the game for those players who had a teammate / opponent leave, regardless of intent.
ZaedynFel wrote:
FluffyYarn wrote:
ZaedynFel wrote:
FluffyYarn wrote:
I get banned pretty much every single day I play this game from THEIR servers dropping my connection. And no, this system can /not/ tell if you did anything wrong, today's ban was 30 minutes because the Halo Servers disconnected me just before the match was about to start, twice in a row. That's it. And it did the same thing to me yesterday, so I get a full 30 minutes. What the heck am I paying for? This system is such trash.

We paid for the game, and then they make us pay an extra 15 bucks a month to actually play it online - the entire reason for owning a Halo game, and then they kick us out from playing the game we overpaid for because THEIR servers drop our connection. If this company keeps up this theft then their next title will fail hard, and they'll deserve it too.
If you are getting banned then you are getting dropped much more often than the average player. If you are getting dropped when other players are not getting dropped, then it is more likely an issue with your provider and / or connection than it is with the game in general. H5 uses its own networking protocol and some providers treat that protocol as if it were a bad thing and drop you because of it, which isn't something that can be changed on the game side.

Because you are dropping more than usual, you are also ruining the game more than usual for the other 7 players in each match, so it is better to ban you until you fix your issues than it is to let you ruin the game for 7x more people than just you
This isn't true. It's because the drops happen twice in a row, or within 2-3 games. But ONCE in a day of playing. So that equals 2 'quits' in a day of playing, and I don't play every day. That's far less than an actual rage-quitter, match quitter, etc. I usually don't quit matches where it's 3v4, which happens all the time, or even 2v4 most of the time, or 1v4 sometimes. So no, I haven't been 'ruining the game more than usual', and I feel like it was unfair of you to immediately make that assumption about me.

I stopped playing the rest of the day as soon as the ban crap happened because /I/ don't want to play with the connection dropping either. I feel like it's a console/update bug or the local halo server, because this never used to happen to me, and my service hasn't changed, it's completely solid. Nothing else in the house drops, and I have a lot of devices just like everyone does, speed/bandwidth has been fine. And even in the game between the two games that dropped today, there were no lags.

So yah, I don't appreciate being accused of 'ruining the game more than usual' for 2 drops, after which I didn't play for the rest of the day, and at worst, maybe tested to see if it was working again after the ban lifted, though, I'm not even sure if I did that.
If it were a console/update or local server bug, then we would be seeing a ton of issues overall, or at least in that datacenter, and we are not. Generally when we investigate these occurrences we find it was a change in ISP policy around our protocols or similar, and nothing on our side.

The reason the system bans even though it may be an ISP issue is to encourage players to resolve the issue before returning because it does indeed ruin the game for those players who had a teammate / opponent leave, regardless of intent.
All fine and good but I hope you drop the 'more than usual' part from your replies to people in the future because it's unfair, that makes it feel like a personal attack, an accusation. I'm asking this in earnest. I'm not saying it to be difficult or etc. it really does feel like that, and I didn't appreciate it.

People drop from games all the time, we all know that, now because it's happening to me, it doesn't mean it's happening 'more than usual' for anybody. I have several games in a row where someone else drops, routinely. And I'm pretty sure everyone else does, too. Anyways, thank you for your time.
  1. 1
  2. ...
  3. 304
  4. 305
  5. 306
  6. 307
  7. ...
  8. 308