Forums / Support / Halo Wars: Definitive Edition

Can't install HW: DE after purchasing HW2 ultimate

OP The Outland3r

Hi guys,

I have been directed to you guys as a last ditch attemp to resolve this problem.

After purchasing Halo Wars 2: Ultimate Edition, digital format, in the beginning of April I immidiately activated the code on xbox.com and added it to my account. Both Halo Wars: DE and 2 installed and run on the xbox one absolutely fine. As this is a play anywhere title I wanted to play this RTS game on my pc and was able to download and install Halo Wars 2 without any issues. I am unable to do this with Halo Wars: DE. Firstly it comes up as an add-on when I search for the game, the version is PC and it says I own it in the windows store. I am unable to install it only "share" the fact that I have it. Halo Wars: DE appears in my library, in the games section, that "doesn't work on this device" as this is the console copy of the game.

After speaking to over ten different MIcrosoft technical support people and a supervisor it turns out that my purchase (on amazon) is a pre-order code (two months after the game was released) for the console version of the game not the PC. How on earth is there a console only code for a play anywhere title?!?!

So Microsoft have told me to write to you guys to help me resolve this issue. Help!
So it's been one week and I have had no reply. What is going on people?!?!?!?!?!
Still haven't heard anything yet. No reply from anyone about my problem, which is just rude and frustrating!
Same issue for me - Just installed the Ultimate Edition on PC and can play Halo Wars 2 fine - but Halo Wars DE doesn't work on Windows. I can get them all to work on the Xbox.
Terratogen wrote:
Same issue for me - Just installed the Ultimate Edition on PC and can play Halo Wars 2 fine - but Halo Wars DE doesn't work on Windows. I can get them all to work on the Xbox.
Terratogen,

I gave up trying to get help on here. I got in touch with Microsoft again and luckily got through to someone who actually understood the issue and gave me a code to activate Halo Wars DE on the PC. Activated it and works fine. I would suggest you do the same.

Good luck!