[343 Response] Halo Wars 2 installation stopped

OP Zuper Dragon

1. 1
  2. ...
  3. 34
  4. 35
  5. ...
  6. 36
For everyone who is still having this issue. There is a way that is certain to work. You will have to bite the bullet and console factory reset and remove all games, but this is certain to work
Tried before and it didn't work. This is a disgrace.

Typical corporate nonsense. Build a product and a game then can't use the game because of their endless tinkering and updates. And then when you come to complain they bounce you between different areas so no one has to take responsibility.They rely on the customer just giving up and letting it go so that they can keep your money and your resentment turns into apathy.
343 had no effect on this issue. Their endless tinkering and updates didn't cause the issue. It was an issue that was caused with the Xbox and how it handled failed installations. This was not isolated to one game, but rather to multiple games, of differing companies and a relatively small audience was affected.

Xbox has taken responsibility for this issue, and they have rolled out fixes that have both prevented the issue happening to new people, and have provided fixes that some people had with the issue. Some it has fixed, some it hasn't. And this place now isn't the right place to post if it hasn't worked. The best place now would be Xbox Support and the Xbox forums, with people who know what they are talking about. I will doubt you will find anything here, or any help, here now if it doesn't work.

You could also ask for refunds if you went along the issue in the right way, and actually get the complete edition of Halo Wars 2 for a cheaper price, if you had a digital purchase. There has also been people with physical copies of the game get refunds as well. So really, 343, MS and other game companies have made a loss in some areas, due to this issue. Not the other way round.
Okay, the endless tinkering related to the endless updates. If maybe they allowed people the choice of not having the update if they weren't going to play the game online, then I (as a purchaser of said game) could decide not to take an install when I might only get the chance to pick up the game and play it OFFLINE 5-6 times a year.

I have to say that this to me is a fundamental problem with gaming nowadays. If I buy a physical copy of the game when it comes, I should own it to play with it as I wish and when I wish.

Yes, if I CHOOSE to play it online then I understand the need for everyone to be playing the same version and it to be updated accordingly. However even when I don't want to play online and just want to quickly pick up and play, I cannot.

Hence my disgruntlement that even when I have purchased the game I am not in charge of how and when I play it.

And this latest screw up highlights my example perfectly. If I were given a choice to update, I wouldn't have and hence been able to play the game offline and in blissful ignorance of this stupid issue. But because of the "endless tinkering" and updates that I DO NOT WANT to use for MY EXPERIENCE of MY GAME I cannot.

That is my big bug bear and as I say part of a bigger issue that even when you buy a game to own it, you don't control your experience of the game.

ps: I've made a loss for paying for a game over a year ago that I cannot play and cannot get a refund on.
For everyone who is still having this issue. There is a way that is certain to work. You will have to bite the bullet and console factory reset and remove all games, but this is certain to work

Typical corporate nonsense. Build a product and a game then can't use the game because of their endless tinkering and updates. And then when you come to complain they bounce you between different areas so no one has to take responsibility.They rely on the customer just giving up and letting it go so that they can keep your money and your resentment turns into apathy.
343 had no effect on this issue. Their endless tinkering and updates didn't cause the issue. It was an issue that was caused with the Xbox and how it handled failed installations. This was not isolated to one game, but rather to multiple games, of differing companies and a relatively small audience was affected.

Xbox has taken responsibility for this issue, and they have rolled out fixes that have both prevented the issue happening to new people, and have provided fixes that some people had with the issue. Some it has fixed, some it hasn't. And this place now isn't the right place to post if it hasn't worked. The best place now would be Xbox Support and the Xbox forums, with people who know what they are talking about. I will doubt you will find anything here, or any help, here now if it doesn't work.

You could also ask for refunds if you went along the issue in the right way, and actually get the complete edition of Halo Wars 2 for a cheaper price, if you had a digital purchase. There has also been people with physical copies of the game get refunds as well. So really, 343, MS and other game companies have made a loss in some areas, due to this issue. Not the other way round.
Okay, the endless tinkering related to the endless updates. If maybe they allowed people the choice of not having the update if they weren't going to play the game online, then I (as a purchaser of said game) could decide not to take an install when I might only get the chance to pick up the game and play it OFFLINE 5-6 times a year.I have to say that this to me is a fundamental problem with gaming nowadays. If I buy a physical copy of the game when it comes, I should own it to play with it as I wish and when I wish.Yes, if I CHOOSE to play it online then I understand the need for everyone to be playing the same version and it to be updated accordingly. However even when I don't want to play online and just want to quickly pick up and play, I cannot.

Hence my disgruntlement that even when I have purchased the game I am not in charge of how and when I play it.

And this latest screw up highlights my example perfectly. If I were given a choice to update, I wouldn't have and hence been able to play the game offline and in blissful ignorance of this stupid issue. But because of the "endless tinkering" and updates that I DO NOT WANT to use for MY EXPERIENCE of MY GAME I cannot.

That is my big bug bear and as I say part of a bigger issue that even when you buy a game to own it, you don't control your experience of the game.

ps: I've made a loss for paying for a game over a year ago that I cannot play and cannot get a refund on.
Yes, I do agree that people should be able to play this offline without getting the updates. That is part of the reason why I couldn't reinstall the game offline when I tried to.

The reason for the endless updates and tinkering is more because of the RTS genre. With new leaders, come more strategies, and the updates aim to stop dominant strategies that contain very little time to counter and will work 90% of the time. That's one of the reasons LoL has so many updates to its Champions even though it has been released for years.

Yes, I dislike updates. Especially those that add missing content that should have been in the game at launch (cough cough Halo 5), but in a RTS, I find balancing updates a little more easy to swallow, because it aims to make the game fairer and not reliant on 1 dominant strategy.

ps. shame that the fix hasn't help you and you cant get a refund, I would be quite frustrated too.

Okay, the endless tinkering related to the endless updates. If maybe they allowed people the choice of not having the update if they weren't going to play the game online, then I (as a purchaser of said game) could decide not to take an install when I might only get the chance to pick up the game and play it OFFLINE 5-6 times a year.I have to say that this to me is a fundamental problem with gaming nowadays. If I buy a physical copy of the game when it comes, I should own it to play with it as I wish and when I wish.Yes, if I CHOOSE to play it online then I understand the need for everyone to be playing the same version and it to be updated accordingly. However even when I don't want to play online and just want to quickly pick up and play, I cannot.

Yes, I do agree that people should be able to play this offline without getting the updates. That is part of the reason why I couldn't reinstall the game offline when I tried to.

The reason for the endless updates and tinkering is more because of the RTS genre. With new leaders, come more strategies, and the updates aim to stop dominant strategies that contain very little time to counter and will work 90% of the time. That's one of the reasons LoL has so many updates to its Champions even though it has been released for years.

Yes, I dislike updates. Especially those that add missing content that should have been in the game at launch (cough cough Halo 5), but in a RTS, I find balancing updates a little more easy to swallow, because it aims to make the game fairer and not reliant on 1 dominant strategy.

ps. shame that the fix hasn't help you and you cant get a refund, I would be quite frustrated too.
That's an excellent point on 'cough cough Halo 5'.
Just to give people a sit rep on this. So I had a spare day before going back to work and thought 'hell, let's try the game again'.

I got the same error code and being online on my laptop went through to MS support live chat. I gave them the error code but we still went through the process of uninstalling the game from the hard drive, then doing a reset but keeping games and apps. Did this and would you believe Halo Wars 2 was still there in my games (despite me uninstalling it before the reset).

I asked the support guy what to do, he suggested clicking on the game which was listed in my games and surprise, surprise we got the same error code. It was at this point that he told me
"Regarding that concern. There is an on going service outage on our end. It's possible that it's affected by the outage."
"Kindly try installing the game after the outage is already fixed. You can check on this link to check if the outage is already been fixed.https://support.xbox.com/en-US/xbox-live-status

No indication when this update might be resolved but the link might help some others. It's a tad frustrating that after starting the conversation with what I'd already done, we had to go back through the whole process for him to basically say 'oh yes, here's the problem'.

So two months later and we still can't use a game that I purchased. Personally, I've got a feeling that I might have to reset the whole console and not saving games to remove the corrupted HW2 game as it doesn't seem to go when you uninstall it.

Here's the transcript of the conversation for anyone that might be interested.
Hi, thanks for visiting Xbox Support! I'm Austin

Me
It relates to Halo Wars 2 and error code 0x80070057
Me
I haven't been able to play the game or install it since November. I've tried uninstalling it and resetting the whole console but to no avail.
Me
I thought the problem might have been resolved by now but seemingly not.
Austin
Thank you so much for contacting. regarding with your concern. Don't worry I am here to give you your solution
Austin
Just to clarify you cannot install back the game am I right?
Me
That's correct. I completely uninstalled the game and have popped in the physical disc but it won't let me play it or install (which is what it was doing before)
Austin
Thank you for that information. If I may ask what trouble shooting have you done so far?
Me
Really?
Me
Well, as I've said twice now I've uninstalled the game and carried out a complete reset of the console.
Austin
If I may ask also have you checked your storage if the is enough space in your console?
Me
587 GB free
10:50 am
Me
24.8% used
Austin
Thank you for that information. I'll be walking you in some troubleshooting steps let's see if this would fix the issue.
Me
go for it
Austin
Kindly Press the Xbox button to open the guide.
Austin
After that kindly Select Settings > All Settings > System > Console info & updates
Me
okay, though I have console info and updates as two separate sub sets. I've gone into console info
Austin
Then Kindly Select Reset console
Austin D.
When you are on the Reset your console page kindly select Reset and keep my games & apps. You should use this option as your primary choice when troubleshooting. It will reset the OS and delete all potentially corrupted data without deleting your games or apps. This will save you from downloading or reinstalling the large game files. In some cases, if a corrupt game file is causing the issue
Me
okay that's started though I did this very thing back at the beginning of november and it made no difference. Fingers crossed that it works this time
Austin D.
Just to clarify it's now installing now?
Me
no, it's reset, now it's switched off and is just restarting.
Austin D.
I just wanna make sure we're on the same page.
Austin D.
After you got back to the homepage kindly try installing the game again. Kindly give me a heads up if it's now installing.
Me
it's just going through the account settings stuff
Austin D.
Alright. Take your time :)
Austin D.
I hope I didn't lose you. Are we still connected?
Me
okay, gone through the bits. And even though I uninstalled it before the reset, Halo Wars 2 is showing in my games (I only have 5 of them). Suggestions?
Austin D.
Just to clarify you can now install the game?
Me
I haven't tried because it shouldn't be in my games o should it - I uninstalled it. Do you want me to try opening it from the hard drive (I deliberately haven't put the disc in the machine yet)?
Austin D.
Kindly try installing the game so that we can give you the best solution regarding your concern.
Me
How can I install it if it is already sames?howing in my g
Me
sorry, how can I install it if it is already showing in my games?
Me
Surely it shouldn't be there?
Austin D.
Kindly try launching the game. It's possible that there is something is corrupted on your console.
Me
Shall I try opening it from the games screen (i.e. what's on the hard drive) or should I put in the disc?
Me
will do
Me
Have just tried clicking on that and it says
Please try again, this did not work for some reason (0x80070057)
Austin D.
Regarding that concern. There is an on going service outage on our end. It's possible that it's affected by the outage.
Austin D.
Kindly try installing the game after the outage is already fixed. You can check on this link to check if the outage is already been fixed.https://support.xbox.com/en-US/xbox-live-status
Me
Sorry what does that mean?
Me
When will the outage be fixed?
Austin D.
There is a maintenance in Buying downloadable items,Downloading items that you have already purchased,Browsing the Xbox Video Store and the Xbox Music Store.
Austin D.
The outage will be fixed as soon as possible for a smoother game experience this 2018
Me
So I told you the error code I had at the beginning, we went all the way round the houses doing again what I did in November for you to then tell me that the problem is at your end/
Me
I paid good money for a game that I don't play online but because of the never ending updates that I have to do, I now can't play a game.
Austin D.
I do apologize about the outage kindly try installing back the game after the outage is already fixed.
Me
Why has this still not been resolved after two months and why am I having to go through the whole reset process with you for you to then pie me off with some corporate BS apology nonsense that it will be fixed at some point...
Me
What an utter waste of time doing this help chat was...
Austin D.
I do apologize I understand you want to play the game already but due to this outage we cannot install back the game. Kindly try installing the game after the outage is already fixed.
Austin D.
You can check on the link I provided you to be update about the outage
Me
How can I install the game when I've already told you that I CANNOT uninstall the game?
Me
And why did we go through this process if you already knew about the outage?
Austin D.
We can only try some trouble shooting steps and check it the if the issue would be resolved by doing that process
Me

But you are aware of this Halo Wars 2 problem and I'd already told you what I'd done to try to correct it. Why therefore did we waste time doing this when you already knew about the convenient 'outage' that is still to be resolved?
Austin D.
I just want to try the best possible resolution to help you out with this one. There is no bad thing in trying am I right?
Me
Thanks Austin for confirming that as I suspected getting in touch with support would be ultimately pointless apart from confirming that the problem still lies with MS who can't be -Yoinked!- to resolve it.
Just to give people a sit rep on this. So I had a spare day before going back to work and thought 'hell, let's try the game again'.

I got the same error code and being online on my laptop went through to MS support live chat. I gave them the error code but we still went through the process of uninstalling the game from the hard drive, then doing a reset but keeping games and apps. Did this and would you believe Halo Wars 2 was still there in my games (despite me uninstalling it before the reset).

I asked the support guy what to do, he suggested clicking on the game which was listed in my games and surprise, surprise we got the same error code. It was at this point that he told me
"Regarding that concern. There is an on going service outage on our end. It's possible that it's affected by the outage."
"Kindly try installing the game after the outage is already fixed. You can check on this link to check if the outage is already been fixed.https://support.xbox.com/en-US/xbox-live-status

No indication when this update might be resolved but the link might help some others. It's a tad frustrating that after starting the conversation with what I'd already done, we had to go back through the whole process for him to basically say 'oh yes, here's the problem'.

So two months later and we still can't use a game that I purchased. Personally, I've got a feeling that I might have to reset the whole console and not saving games to remove the corrupted HW2 game as it doesn't seem to go when you uninstall it.

Yeah. They will tell you to do that lol.

I tried that, and it didn't work. Resetting whilst keeping your saved games and apps wont work, because the corrupted file is still on the system. The way I got rid of it was a full factory reset. No games and apps on the console, which I didn't really want to do, as I had to install 310 GB of games back on my console with updates, and such. And that took 3 full days to do with a couple of discs to help. Without those discs, it probably would've took another day at least.

What worked for me was doing the reset but not keeping your games and apps. That fixed the issue on my internal drive. It may be a lot of hassle, depending on the discs and the speed of your internet. Because I swear my internet speed dropped quite a bit after doing this.

If it doesn't fix it, then, well, I don't really know what to suggest really. That's outside my depths of knowledge.

Yeah. They will tell you to do that lol.

I tried that, and it didn't work. Resetting whilst keeping your saved games and apps wont work, because the corrupted file is still on the system. The way I got rid of it was a full factory reset. No games and apps on the console, which I didn't really want to do, as I had to install 310 GB of games back on my console with updates, and such. And that took 3 full days to do with a couple of discs to help. Without those discs, it probably would've took another day at least.

What worked for me was doing the reset but not keeping your games and apps. That fixed the issue on my internal drive. It may be a lot of hassle, depending on the discs and the speed of your internet. Because I swear my internet speed dropped quite a bit after doing this.

If it doesn't fix it, then, well, I don't really know what to suggest really. That's outside my depths of knowledge.
I hear you buddy. As I said, and as you've confirmed, I think the full reset is what I'll need to do, to completely wipe it clean and start again. It's a pain (moreso because of the time required rather than anything else) but I don't go on Gold any more and was happy playing this offline so it's probably worth the 'start again' to be able to play the game.

Thanks for offering your insight.
Anyone have any luck? Microsoft just had me do the usual troubleshooting methods and insisted it was my disc when I could install the disc and play perfectly fine offline. But heaven forbid I try to update. After my 6th factory reset it still gets stuck at the exact same spot literally as soon as it hits the mark installation stopped. Sigh
Hi guys, i going to have to tell you something so it will be easy so all i was going to say...
Who agree that we can kick people in game without ending the game? Kicking people in game would be much easier so 343, it would be so appreciated if you can add that as a update but the reason i ask this question because people don't play the right way and for team killing and i suggest that's a bad way for team killing because people gets so upset and teased and that's all i have to say, i will be so happy if you can add that as a update 343 installation, Thank you!
Who agree that we can kick people in game without ending the game? Kicking people in game would be much easier so 343, it would be so appreciated if you can add that as a update but the reason i ask this question because people don't play the right way and for team killing and i suggest that's a bad way for team killing because people gets so upset and teased and that's all i have to say, i will be so happy if you can add that as a update 343 installation, Thank you!
Not the place for this kind of feedback, this is a support topic for those having trouble with installing the game. You will want to start a new topic in the main Halo Wars 2 forum
As much as I enjoyed the first Halo Wars game, it is a massive disappointment that Halo Wars 2 remains in a broken state. I only had a few weeks where I was able to play the game before the update issues occurred. Its now 2018 and still now luck after trying every route of troubleshooting. Seems like this issue has been swept under the rug by Microsoft as well.
Still nothing. Tried everything
Yo, for -Yoink- and giggles I deleted the app which was 0% installed and stopped and in my game screen, and reinserted the disc and would you believe thag it’s 100% and I’m actually playing. A recent patch must have fixed it. Try it out.
So this problem has been going on for more than 1 & 1/2 year. The developer has been working on this and still it happens (happened to me last week*) Unbelievable. So, I read in this topic that other games have this problem. Which are those? This is the only game that this has happened to me.

*Reading through this topic it look like there is not much new in mine but here it is: Topic title "Installation stopped - 2019/01/29 update xbox one."
The link is: https://www.halowaypoint.com/en-us/forums/f0258e8001734968984e8b56990f8daf/topics/installation-stopped---2019-01-29-update-xbox-one/622ba1f7-9ee9-4f0c-af96-350cceafc4f8/posts?page=1&lc=1033
SacDeCujon wrote:
So this problem has been going on for more than 1 & 1/2 year. The developer has been working on this and still it happens (happened to me last week*) Unbelievable. So, I read in this topic that other games have this problem. Which are those? This is the only game that this has happened to me.

*Reading through this topic it look like there is not much new in mine but here it is: Topic title "Installation stopped - 2019/01/29 update xbox one."
The link is: https://www.halowaypoint.com/en-us/forums/f0258e8001734968984e8b56990f8daf/topics/installation-stopped---2019-01-29-update-xbox-one/622ba1f7-9ee9-4f0c-af96-350cceafc4f8/posts?page=1&lc=1033
I was having this exact same issue until I just got really frustrated with the game and decided to refund it.

My recommendations for you would be to either refund the game or just call and ask a Microsoft service representative to do some troubleshooting with you on your Xbox.

Its just not guaranteed that it will work but its definitely worth a try.

Fortunately for my friend who had this exact same issue with his game, he was able to get it fixed through some troubleshooting of his Xbox with Microsoft support.

Naturally I did the same, but I wasn't as fortunate because none of the troubleshooting worked for me, so thats why I ended up just refunding the game entirely. :(

But now I really want the game back because I played it on X box game pass using my free 14 day trial and the game worked but the thing is that the game pass version of the game doesn't come with any DLC content so I'm scared to buy the game again because what if I was to start downloading the complete edition which includes awakening the nightmare DLC and it doesn't work.

Like I said I love Halo Wars 2 a lot, but I'm just unsure of whether it will work or not.
  1. 1
  2. ...
  3. 34
  4. 35
  5. ...
  6. 36