Forums / Support / Halo Wars Series Support

Can't Play Halo Wars: Definitive Edition Anymore

OP ShadowDragonCHW

Within the last couple months, Halo Wars: Definitive Edition has stopped working on my PC entirely. It used to work 100%.
I have the Microsoft Store version.
When I try to open it, a window opens and then immediately closes and is replaced by the game window. This is normal. But now the game window appears stuck, only displaying the "Halo" logo. After a minute or two, it goes completely dark grey, with a lighter grey block on the left. It does not change after this, and at no point can I interact with it beyond closing the window.
I have updated Windows, restarted, reinstalled Halo Wars, rebuilt my laptop's indexing, updated my drivers, launched Halo Wars directly, from the Xbox Console Companion and the new Xbox app, etc. Nothing I've tried has worked so far.
Did you uninstall the Halo app? I was having the same issue with HW2 until I did that.
Whats the halo app? I see it referenced elsewhere, Is it the MCC?
Did you uninstall the Halo app? I was having the same issue with HW2 until I did that.
THIS WORKED! Thanks!
Oh no, now it's stuck in the title screen. The audio cue for pushing a button plays, but the game doesn't advance from "Press Any Button To Continue". Will try some things.

Edit: Restarting my laptop worked, game is playable again, hooray!
DuzAwe wrote:
No. The Halo app was an app on the Microsoft store that was what you had to use to play any Halo game on the Windows store. (Halo Wars DE & 2, Halo 5 Forge, Spartan Strike, etc). But they discontinued it a while back (same time as they discontinued the Halo Channel if I recall correctly). However, if it’s still installed, if you try to load any of the Halo games it’ll by default try to load the Halo app first. Since it doesn’t work anymore, it just gets stuck there.
DuzAwe wrote:
No. The Halo app was an app on the Microsoft store that was what you had to use to play any Halo game on the Windows store. (Halo Wars DE & 2, Halo 5 Forge, Spartan Strike, etc). But they discontinued it a while back (same time as they discontinued the Halo Channel if I recall correctly). However, if it’s still installed, if you try to load any of the Halo games it’ll by default try to load the Halo app first. Since it doesn’t work anymore, it just gets stuck there.
Thanks, never installed it,