OP BloodReaver87

1. 1
  2. ...
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. 4
  6. ...
  7. 5
January 2018 and the game is completely broken.

For me it crashes right after "Connecting to Halo Wars 2 Servers".

I thought it was my machine but every other program works just fine. Even without any kind of overclock. The game crashes in the exact same place everytime. I tried to RESET the app so it loads the savegames all over but it crashes the same. Even if I "cancel" sync it would still crash.. I'm so dissapointed. I did a fine review of the game (which never crashed to me before) and I wanted to start playing it again and found out it's completely broken.

Forza Horizon 3 works fine, Forza 7 too and any other store app, it's just this game.
I completely wiped my SSD. Reinstalled Windows 10 Fall creators from scratch, reinstalled the game. SAME THING happens. It just crash after the dialog says " Connecting to Halo Wars 2 Server".

Is there any developer who actually CARE to answer?
I completely wiped my SSD. Reinstalled Windows 10 Fall creators from scratch, reinstalled the game. SAME THING happens. It just crash after the dialog says " Connecting to Halo Wars 2 Server".

Is there any developer who actually CARE to answer?
It's a joke. I am thinking of asking for a refund at this point honestly. It's not our machines. It's the damn game...
You there 343? Just wanted to check in! Clearly this is not an isolated incident...
I cant believe this is still an issue. I just convinced my cousin to buy this game while its on sale and it just crashes after splash screen and he is so upset.. We have tried everything except uninstall and redownload. It took him 3 days to download this game and he is so mad.. I had this same problem and the only thing that fixed it for me was to uninstall and redownload.

His power did go out and pc crashed mid download so that could be why. Also has a very old amd graphics card and pc but we put windows 10 on it no problem.. Runs starcraft 2 fine.

Edit: I just cant believe Halo Wars 2 is still doing this. Given that this things is on sale right now and getting a lot of hype its only hurts 343. This is just garbage from the developers. I will be contacting Xbox for a refund on behalf of my friend. This is xbox only game sadly.. The Microsoft store is just junk period as I have always had problems with the MS titles. Gears 4, Halo Wars 2, Forza 7 seems ok but have had problems before to.. what a disappointment as this game is truly epic..
Was forced into this thread by stckrboy after the previous thread offered no help or explanation. I'm simply going to repost what I said there here;
---
I've been waiting for a fix to that issue since August. They did a patch that fixed a lot of people being unable to get in, and created new problems for some who were already able to get in.Best answer? Build a second computer with different specs, or refund. I was lucky enough to have an AMD system (CPU and GPU) and HW2 runs perfectly on that machine. However, it crashes within half a second (I could be spam-clicking launch, and the game crashes before I click a second time). There have been no replies to people who have been having this issue, and it seems that 343 has simply left those people behind, either through laziness or lack of comprehension.
---
Installing it on the C:\ drive did nothing. Same for my E:\, F:\, and G:\ drives. In short, the game does not work. (For reference, the game was working PERFECTLY for me until they released a patch which fixed the black screen players were getting when trying to load in.)Multiple attempts to contact Support, no response. Anyone who posts about this problem where the C:\ bs doesn't work, no response. This game was installed to my F:\ drive for the longest time, and now - guess what? - doesn't work.BUT, the game works perfectly on a different computer.In short, if you have problems where the C:\ fix doesn't work, ask for a refund, or get a different computer to play it on.
--
So you've tried all the suggestions others have left including:
  1. Installing it to the C:\ drive
  2. Making sure you have Visual C++ Redistributable for Visual Studio 2015 installed (you may have to uninstall 2017 if you have it)
  3. Running WSReset.exe from the Windows 10 Start menu or a elevated command prompt
  4. and... going to Settings > Apps & Features > Advanced Options and clicking the Reset button (does not delete the game).
If you've done all of the above then I'm all out of ideas.
Did anyone have any luck fixing this issue yet or should I just get a refund?
I made a thread about this sort of issue that you can find at https://www.halowaypoint.com/en-us/forums/f0258e8001734968984e8b56990f8daf/topics/crashes-in-menu-and-game/18bd1834-2a9d-42a9-8d5d-3a7cc2896d1a/posts

Short version:
For Nvidia GPUs, try going back a few driver versions. Here is the download link (direct from Nvidia) for the one I am using that has worked so far.
http://www.nvidia.com/download/driverResults.aspx/113448/en-us
Rolling back or installing an older version of the Nvidia drivers may be a possible solution as I'm not running the latest drivers either. This was one of the first troubleshooting steps I took.

ShadyAnimations is running version 376.33 according to the link while I'm using version 384.94 with no problems.
Let us all know if this fixes your issues.
Tried both 376.33 and 384.94 no dice so far I also tried all these options
  1. Installing it to the C:\ drive
  2. Making sure you have Visual C++ Redistributable for Visual Studio 2015 installed (you may have to uninstall 2017 if you have it)
  3. Running WSReset.exe from the Windows 10 Start menu or a elevated command prompt
  4. and... going to Settings > Apps & Features > Advanced Options and clicking the Reset button (does not delete the game).
and still no dice
I redownloaded the game and now it finally boots....I've yet to see another "life threatning" bug.
I redownloaded the game and now it finally boots....I've yet to see another "life threatning" bug.
I've redownloaded Halo Wars 2 as well however that didn't help the issue. The most it did was let the tab stay open for an extra second. My friends who also bought the game are able to play it and are baffled as to why I can't.
05/03/2018 it crashes while I'm playing the campaign, haven't tried the other modes.

I was really eager to play this game because I liked halo wars 1 alot, this is very disapointing.

I also can't play gears 4 at all , the game doesn't get past the splash screen.
So quick ask for everyone in this thread who is currently having a problem.
  1. Please send me a message of where/when/how you are crashing in the boot process.
  2. Please send me a DXDIAG of your machine.
  3. Please send me the version of the Windows store you are using and the version of the Xbox app you are using to log in on PC.
  4. Please explain in your message what troubleshooting steps you have taken so far that have not worked.
I apologize for not responding earlier and would like to work through the problems each of you are having.
Hello,

I have fixed my Problem i have do following:

Completly deleted my driver with DDU
http://www.guru3d.com/files-details/display-driver-uninstaller-download.html <---this deletes everthing from old driver or installed.
Restarted my PC
Then i have reinstalled my driver NVIDIA 395.55<--it´s not the whql driver because i have the bug with new windows version.
I didint have tried other versions.
And the game now starts.
Tested on: Windows 10 Version 1803
The last problem is i must search my game in store... first time he say it´s not compatible. So i searched and finded.. pls fix that..
I have HW2:Ulitmate Edition
Same here guys
Having the same problem. Really would like some kind of feedback from the technical support team
I see this problem sometimes on my friends pc's and it just happened with mine (yet again) after swapping gpus to test another rig. Reinstall your graphics driver, make sure to check the box that says PERFORM CLEAN INSTALL (this is on the nvidia installer, not sure about others but you could use DDU to remove old drivers first) After that DO NOT change your GPU settings yet, launch the game FIRST, it should work this time. Go to options in the game and change it to run windowed. Then go back to your graphics driver settings and make any needed changes. Aftrer installing the latest graphics card drivers I had this issue too so going back to older GPU drivers should help also, just make sure to perform clean install. Im running nvidia driver version 391.01 at the moment.

It would be nice if the halo wars 2 app gave error messages when it crashed, especially when launching the app. That could make it a bit easier to troubleshoot

**Make sure to perform a clean install when reinstalling your GPU drivers, that is a key step here. If you are installing the latest drivers and still having issues try an older driver, like the version that was working before.
This game is still not fixed. Microsoft basically took my money. I've been trying to get this to work for 2 days straight. Tried about 15 know fixes... nothing!

This will be the last time i buy from this studio or microsoft. thx for nothing
i'm still trying to find solutions but nothing :( i'm disappointed but i really want to try again..
if someone know some fix or tips share with us
  1. 1
  2. ...
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. 4
  6. ...
  7. 5