Forums / Support / Halo Wars Series Support

Information on Failure to Launch.

OP Sanjuro365

All information from previous Forum post will be stated below.

As of right now with several days of troubleshooting, the basis conclusion after dealing with all tiers of micros ft tech support has yielded very little results. Under certain circumstances the underlying cause of the failure to launch, brief window opening to close, Game launching to menu then immediately crashing, is all due to game incompatibility issues with certain GPU devices and drivers. Which in turn means it's development side and will require a patch either from your GPU device company, or 343 Studios in future updates.

The cause of this crash is failure to access GPU memory in sustainability. Which means, it can not access the GPU memory as there is an unknown conflict involved. I would love to give my Microsoft references however they are tied to my account which brings up security reasons....So I apologize for not being able to have concrete proof of this, just wanting to relay information given since dealing with this at launch; and has been affecting many of the community.

However, I do implore reading the information below and possible trying to fix with the Microsoft Inplace Upgrade as a temporary fix to get the game to work properly. You will just have to leave your computer on in order to keep playing. I do apologize for lack of information, I will keep posting and updating as future investigation on my own problem comes to light. Comment below for your own methods or thoughts on the Failure to Launch problem.

-------------------------------------PREVIOUS FORUM POST: --------------------------------------
Alright, Currently as with many others I am experiencing several issues when launching the game, or attempting too. Ever since release I have spoke to several techs, both IT, and Xbox support < Why I was even suggested this on the PC version, dealing with an obvious PC issue, I do not know. But I did it regardless to gather information.
Finally getting to Microsoft Paid support Services I was instructed to do an INPLACE SYSTEM UPGRADE. What an inplace system upgrade does it it replaces, or inserts, missing system files whilst keeping all your current files and applications as they are. This fixed the issue of trying to launch the game from the store, or Xbox APP from the PC. However, upon system restart it once more went back to not wanting to launch, why? I'm still not sure. Currently recontacted the Paid service support for a tier 2 support technician for further troubleshooting. No other thing thus far has come close to fixing the problem with the "Launching game shows for only a brief second" Problem, anyone else having that issue I recommend it, Ill be posting below, another thing I'd like to point out is upon investigation into the Event Viewer, is I got a few errors.Error 1:
Unable to start a DCOM Server: xgameFinal as Unavailable/Unavailable. The error:
"998"

Happened while starting this command:
"C:\Program Files\WindowsApps\Microsoft.BulldogThreshold_1.11279.1.2_x64__8wekyb3d8bbwe\xgameFinal.exe" -ServerName:xgameFinal.AppXgmm9f7recm5bs9gkvv9enqgha4dzz78b.mcaError 2:

Activation of app Microsoft.BulldogThreshold_8wekyb3d8bbwe!xgameFinal failed with error: Invalid access to memory location. See the Microsoft-Windows-TWinUI/Operational log for additional informationBoth games, Halo wars 1 Definitive edition, And Halo wars 2 are installed under the, Windows APPs folder. This location is generally, C:\Program Files\windowsapps. Some of you might not be able to access folder due to Administration privileges, to enable you need an Admin Account, once acquired you still might not be able to access this folder as how in this version of windows, Microsoft wants to further protect you from yourself and put you in a straight-jacket to limit you, unlike previous versions of windows. You will be prompted with "Access Denied" An "Access Denied" This error message can occur for one or more of the following reasons:

An "Access Denied" error message can occur for one or more of the following reasons:The folder ownership has changed.
You do not have the appropriate permissions.

The file is encrypted In this case it is most likely because you don't have the appropriate permissions, To change this you will have to do on your own, but I do not recommend doing this until you've searched other means on your own. Information of this can be found,http://winaero.com/blog/how-to-take-ownership-and-get-full-access-to-files-and-folders-in-windows-10/Even if you do this step, once within the folder you are looking for a few keywords, Hogan, And Bulldog, Both of these folders, respectively, is Halo Wars 1 and Halo Wars 2 installing locations. Almost every single file in here is indeed encrypted, including the EXE file. This means you can't SEEM to run it as administrator. Therefore perhaps, once again, it could be a permission issue in validation with Win10, perhaps. I am not sure, but this is as far as I have gotten. Post comments below, But this overall is as far as I've gotten. The link for Windows Inplace Upgrade can be found here:

https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/software-download/windows10

This will download the MediaCreationTool. Once downloaded and run you want to make sure you choose to keep your system files, and it SHOULD, hopefully, help some of you out there dealing with the game window launching, but not running. Any other thoughts, comments, post below, If you want to talk to me personally my GamerTag is Sanjuro365. And I will further share information as time progresses.

EDIT: Upon further investigation another resource has been found, some of reported having issues even downloading the game. Sometimes this can be be a windows store issues, first step would be try using the Windows Store troubleshooter that can be found here:https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/instantanswers/69e76f90-d54c-44cf-9851-c2d1542790db/run-the-troubleshooter-for-windows-appsAnother solution would to try and do a CLEAN BOOT. Usually a clean boot isn't something major, however it is known to possible cause windows instability and should only be done once prompted by a windows technician.

That support page can be found: https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/929135/how-to-perform-a-clean-boot-in-windows
Just to clarify - was the crash immediately at launch (when 343i and Creative Assembly splash screens are supposed to come up) or when you are getting into an actual game (i..e. mission or match)? My issue so far has been crashes right at the start of a mission, immediately after any briefing or cutscene, without any error message. I temporarily resolved this issue by uninstalling/reinstalling the game and actually completed the first 3 missions without incident (I didn't tweak any graphics setting after I realized it was working - thankfully, the default settings were at ultra/high already). However, when I closed the game and came back later (using both an auto-save as well as a manual one), the crashes started again - loaded the save, went through the briefing and the pre-mission cutscene, then about a second after I get control the game closes without an error message.

Not about to reinstall the game again (since that clearly isn't the issue now), but the inplace upgrade for Windows might be worth a shot. In any case, thank you very much for reporting on all of the troubleshooting you went through - even if it doesn't help me specifically, at least it gives me a few more things to try out and maybe pinpoint the problem.
Just to clarify - was the crash immediately at launch (when 343i and Creative Assembly splash screens are supposed to come up) or when you are getting into an actual game (i..e. mission or match)? My issue so far has been crashes right at the start of a mission, immediately after any briefing or cutscene, without any error message. I temporarily resolved this issue by uninstalling/reinstalling the game and actually completed the first 3 missions without incident (I didn't tweak any graphics setting after I realized it was working - thankfully, the default settings were at ultra/high already). However, when I closed the game and came back later (using both an auto-save as well as a manual one), the crashes started again - loaded the save, went through the briefing and the pre-mission cutscene, then about a second after I get control the game closes without an error message.

Not about to reinstall the game again (since that clearly isn't the issue now), but the inplace upgrade for Windows might be worth a shot. In any case, thank you very much for reporting on all of the troubleshooting you went through - even if it doesn't help me specifically, at least it gives me a few more things to try out and maybe pinpoint the problem.
Yes! please do let me know if that also resolves the problem. If needed to contact me quicker as Im collecting information on alot of sources I would appreaciate, at my gamer tag: Sanjuro365 I'm also still waiting to hear back from MSFT Tech support tier 3 team.
In my case the cause of the crashes, when I try to launch the game, is clearly the Feb 22 patch and no GPU driver, because I didn't have any problems before the update. And the crash message in the event log, which says something about an app-validation failure, also doesn't indicate a driver error.
DilophoMS wrote:
In my case the cause of the crashes, when I try to launch the game, is clearly the Feb 22 patch and no GPU driver, because I didn't have any problems before the update. And the crash message in the event log, which says something about an app-validation failure, also doesn't indicate a driver error.
I have read quite a bit about that, too. I didn't install the game until this week, so I didn't get a chance to try the game out before that particular patch.

Looking through my event logs, 0xc0000005 is the code returned with HaloWars2_WinAppDX12Final.exe as the faulting module/application every time except for one instance when VCRUNTIME140_APP.dll was the faulting module. Might be another avenue of troubleshooting for me to try this weekend.