Skip to main content

Forums / Support / Halo Wars Series Support

The Official Halo Wars "Why was I banned?" Thread

OP Forum Team

The following FAQ should answer some of your questions about Halo Wars 2 bans. We will update this FAQ as necessary.

I received an in-game message saying I have been banned. Why?
If you are checking this page because of an in-game message, it is likely that you have been banned for violating the terms of use and/or committing a code of conduct violation. It is also possible, in the case of an especially egregious violation, that your Xbox One system itself is now banned from Matchmaking. The duration of this ban is based on the type, frequency or nature of the committed violation. In most cases, Custom Games will still be available. In extreme cases, they will not.

How can I tell how long I was banned for?
Ban duration will be shown on the red ban screen as the ban hammer strikes. First offences are generally low and last only a few minutes, but will increase in duration incrementally with each subsequent ban. The ban timer itself displays times as follows -
Days : Hours : Minutes : Seconds

What types of actions can result in a ban?
Types of violation include, but are not limited to, the following example actions:
  • Modifying your Xbox One hardware or game software and services in any way.
  • Idling through games, habitual quitting, suiciding, betraying, dodging matches or any other type of unsociable and unsportsmanlike behavior.
  • Impersonating a 343 Industries or Microsoft employee on Xbox LIVE with intent to defraud or cause harm to other players.
Why was I banned for winning a match / quitting one match / quitting a custom game? *
You weren't. The ban system runs at least 1 game behind so your ban will have been placed for a previous offence. After completing your next event, whether it is a matchmaking game, custom game, forge session, spectating a friend or viewing theatre, the system will then show you a message telling you that you have been banned. As it takes more than a single offence to earn a ban you will never be banned for leaving one match, it will be multiple offences that have led to a ban being placed on your account.

I shouldn't be banned. My brother/sister/cousin/dad/mom/friend must've logged on with my account and done bad things. Will you please reverse my ban?
If this is indeed the case, we do understand your frustration. However, it is your sole responsibility to keep your account information secure and not share it with others who would abuse it. We have no way of detecting who is playing with your account, and if your gamertag is caught making naughty, you will be banned. Those are the rules.

I didn't do anything wrong, and you can't prove it. Will you please reverse my ban?
Our automated system builds up a digital case of wrongdoing before any ban is enacted. If you accidentally disconnect a time or two, you won't get banned. Instead the system looks for patterns that can't happen accidentally. If the banhammer detects enough wrongdoing, you were doing wrong.

Will posting in this thread guarantee my ban will be lifted and that someone will respond personally to every post?
Unfortunately, no. We simply don't have enough eyes, ears and typing hands to respond to every single post. However, the community will help keep you honest. You have a public game history for everyone to see. If you post you were banned unjustly, the community is in their rights to check out your history to confirm or deny your claims. Please, just keep it clean.

The purpose of this thread is to keep all questions pertaining to bans in one place. Without a megathread for such questions, the rest of the forum will almost certainly turn into a cavalcade of ban questions.

If you were banned and think you have a case, this is the ONLY thread you should post in. If other moderators see posts pertaining to bans in other threads, they will either be deleted outright or a kind-hearted mod might just move the posts to this thread.

If any users are caught habitually spamming ban threads in other threads, we will consider that a violation of the forum Terms of Use. You will risk being banned here as well. We don't want to have to ban anyone, but we do want an open, honest and positive place to post about all things Halo, so a thread like this is necessary.

Thank you,

The Forum Team

This post has been hidden.

This post has been edited by a moderator. Because we are not currently equipped to provide moderation in other languages, we must ask that all messages be posted in English. Feel free to use an online language translation service, and then create a new thread with the translated text. Sorry for the inconvenience.
Eso no lo sabía gracias por el dato
Can you please look at users losing save data on campaign - this is a serious issue affecting a lot of people. I just brought the Ultimate Pack for £50 and now nothing is saved on Xbox One X after switching off and on. For such a high profile game i would not expect fundamental errors in the game such as this. Can CA please inform us of when this will be fixed?
NervyTuna wrote:
Can you please look at users losing save data on campaign - this is a serious issue affecting a lot of people. I just brought the Ultimate Pack for £50 and now nothing is saved on Xbox One X after switching off and on. For such a high profile game i would not expect fundamental errors in the game such as this. Can CA please inform us of when this will be fixed?
This isn't the thread to be asking, this thread is for discussion and help with matchmaking bans. There are active topics that can be used for this issues
I was banned due to the players are out of sync thing. Can this be fixed please.
BTC Team claims that we can be bamned for using 'mass air in matchmaking.' First off, I was 11 Banshees and a bunch of choppers. Second, is this true? If so, why? The unit is playable in game... Learn to counter it?
HEYN4NCY wrote:
BTC Team claims that we can be bamned for using 'mass air in matchmaking.' First off, I was 11 Banshees and a bunch of choppers. Second, is this true? If so, why? The unit is playable in game... Learn to counter it?
Not true at all.
I just got banned for 2 days from chat. I'm very confused on why I was banned. I can't seem to find any information on it. Where do I go to check it? I don't cuss in game and I don't quit out on purpose, although I do have bad internet and sometimes glitch out at the start of a game. All I would like to know is why I'm banned. I don't really need to have it reversed because 2 days is nothing.

I should mention that I signed into my account on the following URL:
https://enforcement.xbox.com/en-US
On that link, it said the following about my account:
"Congratulations! You have a perfect record"

So I'm really confused. Someone please explain what is going on?
So let me get this straight this game is already old by so many years and there's not going to be a sequel to this game and it's not very widely played at this point either. So now you want to ban people for leaving the game early like you're something special from any other game out there only to say don't play us for x amount of hours because we don't like that you leave games. You're literally punishing people for buying your game. It shouldn't matter if anybody leaves the game in a different way and not to mention I've been kicked off of the game for server connection so does that mean I'm going to get banned for doing that? This is ridiculous being punished for playing a game , you're guys are stupid I will no longer buy anything that has to do with Halo after this and I'm pretty sure I'm done with Xbox after this system ends. Congratulations you're all morons.
Please confirm, hypothetical scenario- in a 3v3, both your teammates are defeated, so you resign, is that considered against you?

And the game after that, your team mate quits/ DCs, so being a 2v3, you resign? That counts?

What about recycling your base? If it’s a clear loss (and I’ve had a couple thousand, I know roughly what they look like) does that still count against you?

What about when the game crashes to dashboard? How is the algorithm to know the game crashed, as opposed to you quitting?

The issues of quitters has been prevalent since day one, why is it only now being brought in? Concerns have been raised since day one that any ban system would likely penalise a players on a game that already had unstable servers/ crashes.

And further, why weren’t players warned with an in game message of the new system?

All seems a bit odd and unclear at present!
Why are the handful of people that still play this game being punished for the developers inability to think of a way to implement a “surrender” mechanic?

Before implementing a banning system based on early quitting wouldn’t it make sense to make sure the game is actually stable? Seeing as how I’d say I disconnect/crash once every few games, the idea that those will count towards me being banned is a joke.

As others have pointed out why do I need to wait around for the very last unit to die? I’ve played thousands of matches and it’s easy to see when the game is won/lost. Making people wait for the guy that flys his banshee around the map and builds bases to extend the inevitable is also, a joke.

Maybe somebody on this skeleton crew team could take a minute and an ounce of brainpower to realize that if you are going to implement this kind of system maybe set it to only count quits that occur within the first two minutes. Something along those lines? Of course this would mean you’d have to stabilize the game which is apparently too much to ask considering how long that’s been an issue.

Another suggestion. When you are implementing a new ban system maybe you should include it in the patch notes? Say with a description of how many quits will get you banned and for how long. Instead of just blindsiding the remaining few who still play this game.

I hardly get the chance anymore to sit down and play for extended sessions. So if I haven’t been clear it’s incredibly disappointing to be banned from a game I enjoy because I have enough brains to know when a match is over or your unstable game crashes. Maybe you all can collectively gather enough intelligence to recognize that this is a deeply flawed and unfair system that unnecessarily punishes it’s players and it needs to be removed ASAP.
Please confirm, hypothetical scenario- in a 3v3, both your teammates are defeated, so you resign, is that considered against you?

And the game after that, your team mate quits/ DCs, so being a 2v3, you resign? That counts?

What about recycling your base? If it’s a clear loss (and I’ve had a couple thousand, I know roughly what they look like) does that still count against you?

What about when the game crashes to dashboard? How is the algorithm to know the game crashed, as opposed to you quitting?

The issues of quitters has been prevalent since day one, why is it only now being brought in? Concerns have been raised since day one that any ban system would likely penalise a players on a game that already had unstable servers/ crashes.

And further, why weren’t players warned with an in game message of the new system?

All seems a bit odd and unclear at present!
If you resign at all, not matter what you will get banned. its horrible that this "team" even thought of adding a ban system back into the game and just bans you over everything that you do now, resigned a match because you were losing? 2 hour ban.
Got desynced in a game? Ban.
It's surely an easy way to kill off the game so they don't have to come back and fix anything.
Any feedback from any of the team members yet? Dont we all love unwanted "fixes" that synergize with our already broken game
Hi, I would appreciate being allowed to not waste my time in games that are considerably losses. I have received matchmaking bans for leaving games. The first unfortunately was right after a lag out. The second was after my team had all agreed it was a loss and was looking to leave, I resigned a hair too early tho and should have let our bases blow up.

It is rather disrespectful to make us and others waste time searching around for useless basses and units. Resignation is a major part of RTS games.
Don't force your limited player base away by banning them.
Seriously this is the crap you come up with, with a dying breed of good rts games, halo wars is one of the few and now you intend to kill what little remains. Joining games where people leave/crash/DC at the start so it is a straight up 1v2 or 2v3 makes the game pretty much a pointless fight, now you wish to ban people for leaving a lost cause to recycle and start what is hopefully a better match next game. Only now you cant do that. okay so maybe the person who leaves first imbalancing the game gets punished, maybe he was just having connectivity issues, but to follow through you get punished for leaving an imbalanced game which almost nobody wants to play. A simple surrender option, or the ability to ban appeal would suffice, preferably the first as banning what little player base is left is just childs play. Seems more and more like you want to just shut the game down, which by all means, just give out the refunds first because i dont trust the dev teams and support to be smart about this.
Im wondering if i would get banned because of being disconnected from the server multiple times in one day.

It isn't my connection, because i routinely reboot my router once a day, and run 3 speedtests each from a different test site when the connection is back up. My connection speed is at 300 mbps down 10 up, so it isn't my speed.

Yet, today i have been disconnected at random times throughout a match. 3 times i was nearly finished, and that upset me, and once i barely started the match and constructed 1 supply pad and got disconnected. I can't tell if it is a specific action doing it.

I wish you could rejoin games, like when disconnected through no fault of your own, you can rejoin your game with your bases back the way they were, and if someone whether enemy or ally took a base, yours is returned to you anyway.