Forums / Support / Halo Wars Series Support

The Official Halo Wars "Why was I banned?" Thread

OP Forum Team

The following FAQ should answer some of your questions about Halo Wars 2 bans. We will update this FAQ as necessary.

I received an in-game message saying I have been banned. Why?
If you are checking this page because of an in-game message, it is likely that you have been banned for violating the terms of use and/or committing a code of conduct violation. It is also possible, in the case of an especially egregious violation, that your Xbox One system itself is now banned from Matchmaking. The duration of this ban is based on the type, frequency or nature of the committed violation. In most cases, Custom Games will still be available. In extreme cases, they will not.

How can I tell how long I was banned for?
Ban duration will be shown on the red ban screen as the ban hammer strikes. First offences are generally low and last only a few minutes, but will increase in duration incrementally with each subsequent ban. The ban timer itself displays times as follows -
Days : Hours : Minutes : Seconds

What types of actions can result in a ban?
Types of violation include, but are not limited to, the following example actions:
  • Modifying your Xbox One hardware or game software and services in any way.
  • Idling through games, habitual quitting, suiciding, betraying, dodging matches or any other type of unsociable and unsportsmanlike behavior.
  • Impersonating a 343 Industries or Microsoft employee on Xbox LIVE with intent to defraud or cause harm to other players.
Why was I banned for winning a match / quitting one match / quitting a custom game? *
You weren't. The ban system runs at least 1 game behind so your ban will have been placed for a previous offence. After completing your next event, whether it is a matchmaking game, custom game, forge session, spectating a friend or viewing theatre, the system will then show you a message telling you that you have been banned. As it takes more than a single offence to earn a ban you will never be banned for leaving one match, it will be multiple offences that have led to a ban being placed on your account.

I shouldn't be banned. My brother/sister/cousin/dad/mom/friend must've logged on with my account and done bad things. Will you please reverse my ban?
If this is indeed the case, we do understand your frustration. However, it is your sole responsibility to keep your account information secure and not share it with others who would abuse it. We have no way of detecting who is playing with your account, and if your gamertag is caught making naughty, you will be banned. Those are the rules.

I didn't do anything wrong, and you can't prove it. Will you please reverse my ban?
Our automated system builds up a digital case of wrongdoing before any ban is enacted. If you accidentally disconnect a time or two, you won't get banned. Instead the system looks for patterns that can't happen accidentally. If the banhammer detects enough wrongdoing, you were doing wrong.

Will posting in this thread guarantee my ban will be lifted and that someone will respond personally to every post?
Unfortunately, no. We simply don't have enough eyes, ears and typing hands to respond to every single post. However, the community will help keep you honest. You have a public game history for everyone to see. If you post you were banned unjustly, the community is in their rights to check out your history to confirm or deny your claims. Please, just keep it clean.

The purpose of this thread is to keep all questions pertaining to bans in one place. Without a megathread for such questions, the rest of the forum will almost certainly turn into a cavalcade of ban questions.

If you were banned and think you have a case, this is the ONLY thread you should post in. If other moderators see posts pertaining to bans in other threads, they will either be deleted outright or a kind-hearted mod might just move the posts to this thread.

If any users are caught habitually spamming ban threads in other threads, we will consider that a violation of the forum Terms of Use. You will risk being banned here as well. We don't want to have to ban anyone, but we do want an open, honest and positive place to post about all things Halo, so a thread like this is necessary.

Thank you,

The Forum Team

This post has been hidden.

This post has been edited by a moderator. Because we are not currently equipped to provide moderation in other languages, we must ask that all messages be posted in English. Feel free to use an online language translation service, and then create a new thread with the translated text. Sorry for the inconvenience.
Eso no lo sabía gracias por el dato
Can you please look at users losing save data on campaign - this is a serious issue affecting a lot of people. I just brought the Ultimate Pack for £50 and now nothing is saved on Xbox One X after switching off and on. For such a high profile game i would not expect fundamental errors in the game such as this. Can CA please inform us of when this will be fixed?
NervyTuna wrote:
Can you please look at users losing save data on campaign - this is a serious issue affecting a lot of people. I just brought the Ultimate Pack for £50 and now nothing is saved on Xbox One X after switching off and on. For such a high profile game i would not expect fundamental errors in the game such as this. Can CA please inform us of when this will be fixed?
This isn't the thread to be asking, this thread is for discussion and help with matchmaking bans. There are active topics that can be used for this issues
I was banned due to the players are out of sync thing. Can this be fixed please.
BTC Team claims that we can be bamned for using 'mass air in matchmaking.' First off, I was 11 Banshees and a bunch of choppers. Second, is this true? If so, why? The unit is playable in game... Learn to counter it?
HEYN4NCY wrote:
BTC Team claims that we can be bamned for using 'mass air in matchmaking.' First off, I was 11 Banshees and a bunch of choppers. Second, is this true? If so, why? The unit is playable in game... Learn to counter it?
Not true at all.