Forums / Games / Halo: The Master Chief Collection (PC)

343 overestimate classic halo popularity

OP Heyhou117

1. 1
  2. ...
  3. 2
  4. ...
  5. 3
I've been a console gamer from Halo to Halo Reach / ODST era then I switched to PC.
The problem here is not the release schedule, it's the quality. PC gamers have no problems waiting ages for games (HL 3 anyone?).
We've got quite a lot of patience, the important thing is that a game is good, supported, open to customizations. IF it turns out like that, as it seems, the player base will be huge and loyal.
Don't forget that pc gamers tend to play the very same game for years and years:

FPS: CS (1999), CSGO (2012)
RTS: Starcraft (1998), Starcraft2 (2010), Warcraft3 (TFT) (2002 - 2003)
MMO: WoW (2004)
MOBA: LoL (2009), DotA (2003), DotA2 (2013)
People all over the place are incredibly excited for MCC not even just Halo fanatics. Several of my friends have only played 1 or 2 Halo games at maximum and are also incredibly excited for the MCC coming to PC and are fine with waiting. That said I know that's anecdotal and you're right waiting for months to get each game is going to be annoying as can be but it will be worth it. What they also need to do in the meantime is have Halo 5 get ported to PC also (which allegedly is something that could happen in the Windows 10 April Update though I don't quite understand it.)
>Implying that the games aren't good enough on their own to make people into halo fanatics
Tell that to all the people that still play TF2 to this day, and that game has just about always hovered in the top 10 .in the Steam's most played titles, despite being around as old as Halo 3!
I'm willing to bet Halo Reach/MCC will peak in the Top 5 of Steam when its released. Like every other person, many of us want Halo on PC. I'm lucky that I have both an Xbone and a gaming PC. Yes, I will buy it again because I have a couple friends who played Halo CE on PC and never played again, they didn't want an Xbox. Now we can all play Halo together on PC.

Plus PC is a bigger audience than Xbox. I understand the issue with population swing but that would be fixed with Social and Campaign crossplay. Ranked - keep separate.
Heyhou117 wrote:
You can tell me what you want the mcc release on pc is pure -Yoink-,that's the best way to loose players,because we live in world where games loose their player base if content to play is not big enough at start and even more if the content makes too much time to came out.I think that making people who are not halo fanatics wait with halo reach during weeks just to get halo ce and waiting again and again (which means that halo 3 is coming very late in this schedule ) is going to kill the potentially huge population that is coming to pc I mean imagine you are a pc player hyped by a franchise that u never had the opportunity to play and when it finaly came on pc you can only play ONE game for WEEKS to get HALO CE and waiting weeks AGAIN for halo 2,3 and 4?thats so ridiculous honestly 343 overestimate the popularity of classic halo.with all the deepthroats and attention that 343 give to classic halo,scince the September update the population should have grow up a lot.but that's isn't the case at all halo 5 with no big updates is still more played (even while the week of the September update)same for esport twicth stats,halo 5 esport was way more popular than mcc's one even with all the hype that 343 is giving to mcc,so I don't think that this release is looking good,it just gonna bored the first players super quickly.

we are going to screw one of the biggest opportunity to expanded the halo community beacause people that are not halo fan are not going to play halo reach for weeks.if all games was here at the start we could get crazy population peaks.but sadly it's never going to happend I'm so disappointed.
Ya, I see your one of the "New" halo fans.... So, glad that people that think like this are not in charge of 343!
Quidohmi wrote:
It's 5 whole games PLUS another campaign and firefight. It's not like we're only getting a morsel. We're getting a full 3 course meal. And then another. And then another. And then another. And then a snack. And then Halo 4, I guess.
Sure if by 5 whole games you mean carved out husks with the minimum amount of features 343 could get away with.... ffs odst didn't even have fire fight and progression systems were ripped right out of h3 and h4 and they were given shadows of their original customisation
I have never played Halo, except for a bit of a second-hand Halo Anniversary on my 360 a long time ago. But I've been wanting to play it for years, except that I am not a console gamer and never will be. I do play plenty of PC games with a controller, but not shooters. Which is also why I never continued playing Halo Anniversary. The same with a streaming service of a certain other console that also works on PC. During the trial I played a couple of popular shooters, and could never get the hang of it. So I for one am extremely excited that after many years of remaining hopeful I can now finally get to play Halo the way I want to, on PC with mouse and keyboard.

So I'm not a "Halo fanatic", and least of all a veteran. But I'm certainly a Halo fan.
I strongly disagree. Releasing 5 and a half games at once would split the community. New players will feel super overwhelmed and have no idea where to start. They might play a few games of Halo 2 PVP, then 2 campaign missions, then move on to the next game in order to "experience" everything, but they'll actually not experience anything like that. And the old fans will just launch their favourite Halo game and never touch the other games. I think it's a great idea to release the games in chronical order. That will give new and old players time to focus on one game. People will get to know that game, they will really experience it. They will have time to play through the campaign and play alot of MP. Releasing all games at once will burn new people out, cuz they will buy it and then if they don't really like it from the start, they will refund it. Cuz how are you going to make sure that you like all 5 and a half games? I think it's great. And it also gives old players time and a reason to actually play the other Halo games that they otherwise wouldn't touch. You might want to play Halo 3, but when Reach comes out, you'll say "meh I'll just play the campaign cuz why not" and then they say "damn this was pretty good actually" and then boom.
Overloading a new audience with six games all with separate multiplayer communities would do more harm than good. I agree with 343’s release strategy, it’ll ease the PC playerbase into Halo one game at a time.
Nobody is overestimating anything, if anything OP is underestimating how long pc players have wanted this franchise on our platform. Each game has boat loads of content so I have no clue what your talking about with players needing more at release. I personally like the planned release schedule. IMO releasing the whole pack could potentially overwhelm new players. The planned route will allow EVERYONE to play the same games as the games release. They will be able to play the campaign in order and experience the franchise the way it was meant to be played. Also, 343 needs to take as much time as possible to get this right. That's just my 2 cents though.
What a bunch of barely legible, run-on drivel. Jesus christ. (Referring to OP)
rubicon68 wrote:
Nobody is overestimating anything, if anything OP is underestimating how long pc players have wanted this franchise on our platform. Each game has boat loads of content so I have no clue what your talking about with players needing more at release. I personally like the planned release schedule. IMO releasing the whole pack could potentially overwhelm new players. The planned route will allow EVERYONE to play the same games as the games release. They will be able to play the campaign in order and experience the franchise the way it was meant to be played. Also, 343 needs to take as much time as possible to get this right. That's just my 2 cents though.
well... considering one of the most memorial and iconic parts of reach isn't going to be added till near the end of the release schedule will drastically limit the amount and type of content available at the start. stripping away so many tools from a sandbox and all.
Heyhou117 wrote:
You can tell me what you want the mcc release on pc is pure -Yoink-,that's the best way to loose players,because we live in world where games loose their player base if content to play is not big enough at start and even more if the content makes too much time to came out.I think that making people who are not halo fanatics wait with halo reach during weeks just to get halo ce and waiting again and again (which means that halo 3 is coming very late in this schedule ) is going to kill the potentially huge population that is coming to pc I mean imagine you are a pc player hyped by a franchise that u never had the opportunity to play and when it finaly came on pc you can only play ONE game for WEEKS to get HALO CE and waiting weeks AGAIN for halo 2,3 and 4?thats so ridiculous honestly 343 overestimate the popularity of classic halo.with all the deepthroats and attention that 343 give to classic halo,scince the September update the population should have grow up a lot.but that's isn't the case at all halo 5 with no big updates is still more played (even while the week of the September update)same for esport twicth stats,halo 5 esport was way more popular than mcc's one even with all the hype that 343 is giving to mcc,so I don't think that this release is looking good,it just gonna bored the first players super quickly.

we are going to screw one of the biggest opportunity to expanded the halo community beacause people that are not halo fan are not going to play halo reach for weeks.if all games was here at the start we could get crazy population peaks.but sadly it's never going to happend I'm so disappointed.
I haven't met a single person apart from you that isn't excited to finally play this on PC, seeing as Xbox's audience is significantly less than that of the PC one, it will be a hit no matter what.
People who never owned an xbox or any console like me for example, were only able to play halo ce and halo 2
I'm super excited to finally be able to play the rest of the series and im sure theres many more like me who just couldnt play after the first 2 games
hell6born6 wrote:
People who never owned an xbox or any console like me for example, were only able to play halo ce and halo 2
I'm super excited to finally be able to play the rest of the series and im sure theres many more like me who just couldnt play after the first 2 games
Also people who just never got another console after the Xbox 360, and since the new Halo is coming to both Xbox and W10 this is a great way to get old and new players back to the bandwagon.
olenurpo wrote:
hell6born6 wrote:
Yep, and people who just never got another console after the Xbox 360, and since the new Halo is coming to both Xbox and W10 this is a great way to get old and new players back to the bandwagon.
that is ofc assuming 343 learned form H4 and Microsoft learned from H5. they release a mediocre game like four or screw the launch and put loot boxes over balance in any part of the game like 5 and its strike 3
Im a Halo Gammer through and through since the Original Xbox(the black and green one) And i remember growing up playing all the Halo games as they released. And as it may be true the classics dont hold a certaint appeal anymore to some. But to others, and to those who have never played them, but have played Halo 4-5 this is going to be something new to them if they havent played any of the old halo's .

That and with the updates there making to bring the old Halo's back into this High Tech era of gaming, will bring back a Majority of fans and community bases that were playing Halo So long ago. Heck the gaming communities im in now on Steam are losing it, every single one of the cant wait to play Halo MCC , theres even talk about abandoning Servers for months on end just to play it.

But overall,this is a Opportunity to Expand, and introduce new players into halo. Even people who i know hated Halo a year ago, that never played it a day in there life are Hyped just to be able to play it on PC.

And with a Possibility of Cross Platform gaming between PC and Xbox, alot more people are going to be online on MCC, than ive seen before.
It's also often forgotten how potent word of mouth is. I have a lot of friends who weren't halo fanatics back in the day, but they want to play the game just to play as a group. With streaming platforms like Twitch being so prominent right now, there's no way the MCC won't be a huge seller.
This post has been edited by a moderator. Please do not discuss/share modded content.
  1. 1
  2. ...
  3. 2
  4. ...
  5. 3