Forums / Games / Halo: The Master Chief Collection (PC)

5 Requirements for MCC PC & Infinite's Success

OP bam9762

1. 1
  2. ...
  3. ...
  4. 2
Hi 343 Industries, I am going to outline 5 major requirements that will make all of your games, current and future, very successful. I have been reading and participating in a lot of threads on Waypoint, posts on Reddit, and discussions on Steam and it seems like you are struggling to maintain your player base, scrambling to keep your fans content, and just seem lost with the overall direction/development of Halo. So out of kindness and for the love of Halo, here is the recipe for making MCC/Infinite successful.
  • Custom dedicated server browser (not the H5 forge custom browser). Just look at that free game and you will know why nobody is playing it aside from the terrible mouse/keyboard controls. We need purchasable dedicated servers like in Halo Custom Edition, CSGO, Battlefield, etc. P2P connections is a terrible way to play custom games; any game that depends on a player’s/host’s connection instead of an actual server running 24/7 is backwards thinking. Why else are custom dedicated servers so important? Because with custom dedicated servers, you can completely resolve 90% of the complaints I’m seeing across all forum discussions. You can first start by removing social playlists, which results in much less work for you in the long run. The community will create the social/fun, games, gametypes because the community actually knows what the players want. You won't have to worry about people crying over DMR starts, players going AFK/leaving, team balance issues, map vetoing, stale playlists, etc. because the custom dedicated servers will solve all of those issues on their own, much like how a free market operates. Want to only play a certain map? There will be many dedicated servers running those maps 24/7. Hate DMR starts? Just hop into one of the many servers with AR/Pistol starts. Want to play with DMRs, infection, BTB or just FFAs? There will 100% be plenty of custom dedicated servers running them 24/7. Think about all of the current resources being utilized to address these complaints listed above and how they can be reallocated to actual development projects like Forge, Theater, etc. On top of that, you get paid for the monthly fees for these purchased servers.
  • Expand/update the competitive/hardcore playlists. Each game (Reach, H1-H4) should have FFA, 1v1, 2v2 and 4v4 hardcore/competitive playlists. Remove ranked Invasion. Whoever thought this was a good idea should take an extended vacation. So why is this important? Because although competitive Halo has always been about teamwork/chemistry/coordination at the highest levels, all of that stems from each player’s individual skill. For the serious players that want to compete and improve their individual play, or maybe just don’t have teammates that are available but still want to compete, this is where they can go. It also resolves the stale map rotation and gametypes of only 4v4s.
  • Input based matchmaking or completely remove aim assist in competitive/hardcore playlists. Before you cover your ears and scream 'lal la la,' read this. Your true and much larger PC player base (MKB) is rapidly leaving this game; just look at your PC population on steam charts; the player base has literally gone down 50% over the past 2 weeks and over 30% in the past 7 days. WAKE UP! As a competitor, who is unassisted and not handicapped (aka using MKB), I do NOT want to compete against someone who willingly chooses to be handicapped in exchange for assistance of any kind. I also do NOT want to compete against someone who is just handicapped (controller w/ no aim assist) and I do NOT want to compete against someone who is unfairly assisted (cheaters). Notice the words 'compete.' This is the nature of fair competition in actual real-life sports and e-sports; the integrity of the game means EVERYTHING. There is zero integrity when you allow a certain group of people to obtain a legitimized aimbot (no matter how strong) in exchange for being handicapped. Again, I know there is a lot of discussion already regarding this topic, but to me it is such a simple concept to understand. Forget about what all the other games are trying to do to balance MKB with controllers (ie Fortnite, COD). I am going to tell you right now, their efforts are wasted because there will never be a true balance between the two inputs in an unrestricted, fair, competitive environment. Be ahead of the curve right now, when it comes to competition. You're already late to the PC party and are royally screwing it up as we speak. If someone wants to use a controller, compete and make money, have separate ranks/leagues/tournaments for them (aka input based matchmaking). Unfortunately, as you already know, people no longer want to watch that ("pros" with a handicap in exchange for a soft aimbot), hence the decline in Halo over the past decade, hence why Microsoft even decided to bring this franchise to the PC in the first place!! They now see the money potential in e-sports on PC, but your strategy to take market share is being poorly executed by catering/supporting the player base of an already declined and continually declining market (competitive console FPS) .
  • Flawless mouse/keyboard input. I shouldn't have to state this as a requirement, but you can't port this game to PC and completely ignore the primary input. Fix the input delay NOW. Hire a team that has experience in developing games like CSGO, Overwatch, even Fortnite and pay them extremely well to get that 1:1 raw input feel.
  • True support for higher refresh rates. I shouldn’t have to state this as a requirement either. I mean it’s 2020 and Halo Custom Edition, a 16 year old game can support 120hz and much higher with mods created by the community. Okay, it's possibly too late for Reach, I understand and will grant you a pass, but if Halo CE MCC PC isn't as good or better than Halo Custom Edition in terms of mouse/keyboard input and refresh rate, you will 100% show your incompetence.
  • Maintain the integrity of the game. You can do points 1-4, but if cheating becomes easily accessible and rampant, your game will falter. Probably the only thing that has been a success thus far, but also could be due to the fact that hackers couldn’t care less about making cheats for a dying game.
These five major points will make your game extremely successful on PC, I guarantee it. I loved Halo from the very beginning and it really does pain me to see my favorite franchise being developed so carelessly. Please, just listen to the actual PC community for once and stop being so stubborn. If you have ex or current halo pros whispering in your ear, telling you otherwise, think about where Halo as a franchise has gone since Bungie left us with Reach and what you’ve done with MCC on Xbox, H4, H5, H5 Forge and now MCC PC thus far. You have to admit, it could have been better, MUCH BETTER. If you want to bring this franchise to PC, listen to the real PC community. If you don’t have the time or resources, ask Microsoft to give you a bigger team and tell them you can increase the profitability of the Halo franchise ten fold. Because honestly, implementing these 5 major points in MCC/Infinite, will bring your studio those profits/huge success.
This post has been edited by a moderator. Please refrain from making non-constructive posts.
*Original post. Click at your own discretion.
Spoiler:
Show
They only see one point being important, and that is adding microtransactions to Infinite for those sweet short-term profits. Who cares about longevity of a game at this point? Just look at COD. /s
Isn't this just your list of gripes with Reach?
Pretty much and aim assist isn't as big of an issue like these PC cry babies like to think it is. They just mad because controllers have a chance at beating them now and some of them are just mad cause it's making them realise that they aren't as good as they thought they were and adding a input method option would just split the community even more than it is now.
Ki11s0n3 wrote:
Pretty much and aim assist isn't as big of an issue like these PC cry babies like to think it is. They just mad because controllers have a chance at beating them now and some of them are just mad cause it's making them realise that they aren't as good as they thought they were and adding a input method option would just split the community even more than it is now.
Yeah; because you are doing so good, if your service record is anything to go by.
I don't see how the input delay is bad in this game per se, I'm not exactly a pro MLG e-sports player but from my experience it has been more than perfect
Other than that you make some good points, at the very least I'd like a dedicated server browser where I can find other people to play custom games with and not rely on Discord, even if inevitably it's gonna turn into the most popular servers playing only 1-2 maps/gamemodes
Ki11s0n3 wrote:
Yeah; because you are doing so good, if your service record is anything to go by.
I never said I was doing amazing, but you also don't see me in here crying and blaming others and controllers when I lose or do bad. Cause news flash a controller doesn't make you bad. Your bad cause of you. You can blame the controllers all you want, but the sooner you come to grips with that the sooner you'll enjoy the game more.
Ki11s0n3 wrote:
Both of you didn’t read anything past the first sentence regarding aim assist. This change would have zero effect on you considering you’ve never competed at a high level/never will. You don’t play ranked games so why are you so against it? The custom dedicated server browser would fulfill all of your needs, which is perfectly fine because I agree that not everyone wants to be competitive; some people just want to have fun and like I mentioned, you’d still have aim assist in non-hardcore games.
bam9762 wrote:
Ki11s0n3 wrote:
Both of you didn’t read anything past the first sentence regarding aim assist. This change would have zero effect on you considering you’ve never competed at a high level/never will. You don’t play ranked games so why are you so against it? The custom dedicated server browser would fulfill all of your needs, which is perfectly fine because I agree that not everyone wants to be competitive; some people just want to have fun and like I mentioned, you’d still have aim assist in non-hardcore games.
I read it and I still don't agree we should have an option that's gonna split the player base even more than it already is. If they add in cross play then maybe I'd be fine with it, but not right now with the player numbers we have.
Dedicated server is a good idea.
This post has been edited by a moderator. Please refrain from making non-constructive posts.
Spoiler:
Show
If you think the lack of a server browser is a 'gripe' then welcome to PC. We like making our own decisions here.

Let the threads speak for themselves. DMR starts, repetitive maps, connecting to the wrong side of the planet, queue times, afkers/boosters, the way that every player is either unresponsive or rude because they know that you will part ways in 10 minutes or less. Those are ALL matchmaking symptoms dude. And we will only have similar to look forward to from the rest of the collection if nobody says anything.

They've been dancing around the idea, leaving open the possibility that a server browser will come after Halo 4. But December or some time in 2021 is far too late. Even if forge/file share/theatre came before then it would be a huge waste of potential to only enjoy them with friends.
This post has been edited by a moderator. Please do not repost content a moderator has removed, repost a topic that has been locked, or post about forum moderation decisions. If you have a question or concern about a forum moderation decision, please private message the applicable moderator.
Spoiler:
Show
This post is 100% on the nose by the way. If infinite releases without these 5 suggestions, it will fail spectacularly and halo will stay dead like it is now.

I don't understand why 343 doesn't experiment by pulling in members of the community, etc... It could be as simple as a 15 min discord call.
There's no way on Earth they can screw up the AA, mouse input and the graphic/performance options with the new Slipspace engine. If they do.... it will be the biggest tragedy of the whole cemtury
Ki11s0n3 wrote:
Ki11s0n3 wrote:
I never said I was doing amazing, but you also don't see me in here crying and blaming others and controllers when I lose or do bad. Cause news flash a controller doesn't make you bad. Your bad cause of you. You can blame the controllers all you want, but the sooner you come to grips with that the sooner you'll enjoy the game more.
I'm sorry, but looking at your SR, you clearly aren't very good, to put it politely. So the reason you are not here complaining about Auto Aim like the rest is most likely because you don't play at a level - both in rank and skill-wise - to even be able to tell the difference. Either that or you play on controller and wouldn't even stand a chance with a Mouse.

Ki11s0n3 wrote:
bam9762 wrote:
Ki11s0n3 wrote:
I read it and I still don't agree we should have an option that's gonna split the player base even more than it already is. If they add in cross play then maybe I'd be fine with it, but not right now with the player numbers we have.
But players are already leaving. 95% of them as of last night to be precise. And keeps going down. Why would a M&K player play at a game he's at a disadvantage unless he uses a lesser and awkward device? Of course most will leave; most that care about skill at least. There's always another shooter. I understand that you may not get it, but some people do take a bit of pride in their skills.

Want to help with player numbers? Stop catering to console players. This fact should be obvious; but it seems a lot of people can't grasp the concept. Don't cater for the player base of another platform. If controller users aren't even willing to learn how to play for real with a mouse, then they can always go back to Xbox. Where do PC players go? They quit. And they did. The player base sinks, and the game dies.

And don't tell me it's because it's an old game, or the least popular Halo. Even CS Source has more players right now, and that came out in 2004.
Ki11s0n3 wrote:
bam9762 wrote:
Ki11s0n3 wrote:
Think logically what percentage of the current 9k peak population is actually playing hardcore. Now think what percentage of the hardcore players are actually using MKB.

I hate to say it but the majority of MKB players have already stopped playing ranked. Every argument against input based matchmaking has been ‘we don’t want to split the population.’

But look at the population trend! I will say this, if there had been input based hardcore matchmaking from the start, my team and many other MKB only teams would still be playing.
Cooperal wrote:
If you think the lack of a server browser is a 'gripe' then welcome to PC. We like making our own decisions here.

Let the threads speak for themselves. DMR starts, repetitive maps, connecting to the wrong side of the planet, queue times, afkers/boosters, the way that every player is either unresponsive or rude because they know that you will part ways in 10 minutes or less. Those are ALL matchmaking symptoms dude. And we will only have similar to look forward to from the rest of the collection if nobody says anything.

They've been dancing around the idea, leaving open the possibility that a server browser will come after Halo 4. But December or some time in 2021 is far too late. Even if forge/file share/theatre came before then it would be a huge waste of potential to only enjoy them with friends.
Not only is the custom browser not in current development, but it’s also been confirmed by mods that it would be a P2P custom games browser, like H5 forge.

To me this has to be one of biggest mistakes for a franchise that thrives on custom games.

Can 343 provide a technical explanation as to why purchasable custom dedicated servers are not even in consideration?
I agree with every point in OP's post, 343 need to remember that this is Halo for PC and although the aim assist is not broken, just very strong, I feel that it should just be toned down slightly with an increased incentive to use KB+M.

I havent personally had any issues with controller users but upon trying it out myself it did feel that it was little strong and almost un-natural as I was trying to compensate far too much from habit, and overshooting extremely.

I like the idea of a server browser, reminds me of the good old days of Halo CE and Custom Edition :), however I feel that it should be an addition to the game instead of replacing social games entirely.

My biggest gripe with MCC for now is the progression, although reach was fairly grindy it felt satisfying to unlock that piece of gear that you have had dreams of being on your character after a reasonably lengthy grind.
This new progression system just doesn't get me excited to level up, I don't want to have to trudge through all the throwaway gear to get that armour I wanted, can I just save for it instead? My brother and I both assumed that we could save up our points for the other titles instead of going through each gear piece which to our disapointment was the system.

I hope that 343 gives consideration for another system for the following titles, possibly achievement-based armour just like in Halo 3?

I do wish the best for this reboot as Halo holds a very big place in my heart, all the way since childhood. Please listen to the community on the following releases 343 :).
All the best!

-YueShuYaC
  1. 1
  2. ...
  3. ...
  4. 2