Forums / Games / Halo: The Master Chief Collection (PC)

[Locked] A Short Opinion for Cross-Play on MCC

OP Starseid

1. 1
  2. ...
  3. ...
  4. 2
There is no doubt that MCC should... no, needs to have cross play between Xbox and PC.

To address the elephant in the PC vs Console room, PC will provide an unfair advantage over consoles due to higher end hardware being able to pump out higher frame rate for better input latency, ultra wide support means a large field of vision for PC players, and mouse and keyboard support means better precision play on PC (though Xbox does have mouse and keyboard support). Despite all of this, I still believe cross play needs to exist between the platforms, but with some with boundaries. Mainly that the line needs to be drawn at Matchmaking. Customs, forge campaign, and spartan ops are all under user control or simply lack a competitive nature and are typically casual in nature thus any advantage PC offers would be primarily looked over in these modes. You're just there to have fun with friends (usually).

Competitive and even social playlists are not under user control. Even in social, people expect a fair playing field to be respected by all, as any inconsistency in matchmaking is overall frustrating and simply not fun.
Now you might being thinking "I dont want PC players having such a large advantage over my friends and I in Custom lobbies we play publicly." This is equally understandable. A simple option added to the customs browser to exclude cross play lobbies in your searches can be implemented.

MCC on PC should further bring the Halo community together, no matter what platform you are most comfortable on.
I wholeheartedly agree; allow crossplay for everything but Matchmaking. Campaign crossplay would be grand.
A playlist only for the cross in matchamaking seems like a good idea, however either must be a special playlist in social.
In competition the console players will get lost and not everyone has the same sense of "Ratio".
I believe cross play needs to be a thing, but with restraints. PC mouse and keyboard players should have their own lobbies and not be allowed to play with players using controllers.
Social matchmaking should allow cross play. The invisible rankings present in social playlists are extremely lax allowing for unbalanced games, and it's right there in the name: "social". Is it fair if I get put on a team of guests who've never played against a team of 4? No, but it happens.

Possibly there could also be a search option for social playlists allowing console players to opt out of the PC pool, at the expense of slower search times.

Competitive matchmaking should not allow cross play because of the disadvantage.
Yes!!! Bring the entire Halo community together!
I concur; it will be a great way to not only bridge the gap, but also increase the player base.
I'd like to see a system similar to Fortnite's if possible, where PvP matchmaking pools are split between PC and console by default, and any parties with both PC and console players get put in the PC pool. A separate pool solely for mixed parties would be nice, but that seems like it would take more work to maintain. As for custom games and co-op modes, unrestricted play would be ideal, as OP said. Cross platform play is a must with Halo's massive amount of social gamemodes, and I'm looking forward to what 343i has planned.
Cross play for everything, opt in by default, turn off if you'd rather not. Population > all. Halo, Destiny and other console first shooters have very strong controller play and you'd be surprised how well they hold up. Like some other users said, there was actually dialogue early on that the controllers were simply too strong due to their aim assist in certain titles (D2, ElDewrito, etc.) It's all about balance. Once that balance is hit and both input methods have a pro/con that's formidable, it should be absolutely fine. The bigger the population the better.
Input based matchmaking will be fine and it's proven to be successful in other titles.

PC players using a controller get paired with Xbox players.

Xbox players using a mouse and keyboard get paired with PC players etc.
The big thing that needs cross-play is the campaign modes. I have family and friends that play the Master Chief Collection on Xbox and I have always had to play it on Xbox as well to play with them. However, I really am not a fan of playing games with controllers anymore, not since I started only playing on PC a couple years back. I would love to be able to play the campaigns with people on Xbox. Also I would love for some kind of multiplayer matchmaking with people on Xbox, especially for social multiplayer. I'm all for a united community and I think it would be a ton of fun to play multiplayer with my friends and family as well.

I know right now it isn't a main focus, but it would be great if it could become one. I love being able to play games with the people I want to play, regardless of platform. Campaign cross-play definitely should start to be developed and focused on, after that start testing multiplayer. It was tested for Gears of War 4 and worked out so well that they decided to keep cross platform for both Campaign and Multiplayer. I really hope we can try this for the Master Chief Collection as well.

Looking forward to release!!
Not only will it not have cross play but it in fact should not have it.

They are two different games while yes in an ideal world cosplay would be great and there is a good chance h6 will have it but these games are being rebuilt for pc it would require some major sacrifices for 343 to get them to cross play and in willing to bet the entire point of mcc coming to pc is to be an olive branch in proration for h6. 343 need to make the best possible impression and they can't do that if their forced to compromise for cross play.
Just, I want to play with my friends.

The only selection how doesn't need corssplay it's the "competitive" selection.

I want to play custom game with my friend (Janga Tower, Garbage etc), I want to play campaign with us, and I want to laught a lot in multiplayer like on the old time.

Halo is a rare game wich competitive and funny ! I Want to have fun anywere, I want to have hard game with gamers who have the same equipement of me.

The, Crossplay is great and is the future
If you're good on the sticks, and grind a lot of Halo, you won't lose to an average/bad PC player. People think that just because someone is on a MKB then they'll just dominate everyone, but if you're good at using a controller and you know the in's and out's of Halo, you can easily contend with the average PC player, even good PC players. A good PC player will, or should, dominate average or bad controller players, of course, but it also works the other way around.
Everybody keeps on talking about the balance issues between PC and Xbox players playing against each other, but there's also the issue that even PC vs PC, there's going to be balance issues due to the higher precision of mice. Namely, it is going to be way easier to land shots with the Sniper Rifle (even when noscoping), BR, CE magnum, etc.

Those guns are already dominant on console, but on PC they could truly be busted and broken. And if I had to choose between crossplay and having PC specific balance tweaks (such as lowering the random spread on autos) to account for this, I would much rather lose out on crossplay just so on PC the weapon sandbox is more balanced... though lowering the randok spread on autos on console would only help balance for pretty much every game in the collection too.
I feel like we should have full open crossplay capabilities, however, and in game option to make it to where you can play with console only, pc only, or mixed. This way if you do not wish to play crossplay, you can opt out.
I say Consoles and PCs should que the same on everything but relatively competetive modes.

But for COOP matchmaking you play on the same servers as other people coop matchmaking.
Starseid wrote:
There is no doubt that MCC should... no, needs to have cross play between Xbox and PC.

To address the elephant in the PC vs Console room, PC will provide an unfair advantage over consoles due to higher end hardware being able to pump out higher frame rate for better input latency, ultra wide support means a large field of vision for PC players, and mouse and keyboard support means better precision play on PC (though Xbox does have mouse and keyboard support). Despite all of this, I still believe cross play needs to exist between the platforms, but with some with boundaries. Mainly that the line needs to be drawn at Matchmaking. Customs, forge campaign, and spartan ops are all under user control or simply lack a competitive nature and are typically casual in nature thus any advantage PC offers would be primarily looked over in these modes. You're just there to have fun with friends (usually).

Competitive and even social playlists are not under user control. Even in social, people expect a fair playing field to be respected by all, as any inconsistency in matchmaking is overall frustrating and simply not fun.
Now you might being thinking "I dont want PC players having such a large advantage over my friends and I in Custom lobbies we play publicly." This is equally understandable. A simple option added to the customs browser to exclude cross play lobbies in your searches can be implemented.

MCC on PC should further bring the Halo community together, no matter what platform you are most comfortable on.
In my opinion, having matchmaking be limited would be a mistake. They should have PC specific lobbies, console specific lobbies, and also allow for “mixed” lobbies for friends playing together. I know that this is possible because the technology is already on display with Fortnite.
again balance is not the biggest roadblock to cross play. In order for cross play to work the two games have to be running essentially the same game. This means you are not only going to need to put in a lot more work but your end product is going to wind up suffering because of it. just look at Microsofts largest cross play game Minecraft and you can see major compromises they had to make in order to get it to be the same game running on consoles phones and PCs. And it is a far less intensive game when it comes to the hardware. Two distinct but great games is going to be a lot better than one average game. Particularly when they want this to be a way to get PC players back into halo. Its just going to rub most of the PC community they are trying to grow the wrong way when they know consoles are holding them back from fully realizing another game.
I'm not sure how they will tackle this, but I assume that they will just have the social playlist be the whole community, both pc, and console, playing together. They might give an option to opt out of cross-platform play.
  1. 1
  2. ...
  3. ...
  4. 2