Skip to main content

Forums / Games / Halo: The Master Chief Collection (PC)

Add Bots with customizable traits.

OP SpecOpDELTAx177

Halo social and ranked multiplayer are boring. Custom games is where the real fun is. Adding bots with customizable traits would greatly compliment custom games.
I wish Halo MCC had bot support for offline custom matches. Gears of War ever since the 2nd game has had bot support and its been a feature they have supported through all titles. Halo bots would be a great way to play all the stuff at any time. I don't know if when mod support for MCC comes this could be a reality but would be awesome.

I know this means they'd have to code AI which could be tricky and the maps don't have any AI navmesh but it really is the last big thing that halo has always missed.
Yes! If the Halos got offline bot matches that could play most if not all gametypes, I'd play it all day and night.
Yes! If the Halos got offline bot matches that could play most if not all gametypes, I'd play it all day and night.
Same here, that would extend the life of mcc by a lot.
It would give me a reason to actually forge again.
Forgeable AI and bots would be incredible. I recently played the original battlefront with my girlfriend and we had so much fun playing with bots. It was super awesome and I would love to be able to just choose to play bot matches in halo 2 or halo 3.
Sadly bots are much more unlikely than forgeable AI. An entirely new AI would have to be designed to behave like players do in multiplayer. I think it should be easy to spawn in enemies like covenant and stuff because their AI are written but spartan opponents would actually take a fair bit of work. People have been modding the halos to spawn AI in forge maps and multiplayer maps for awhile but bots are a whole different story. I would LOVE to see them added though
You have no idea how long I have been waiting for multiplayer bots in Halo and how badly I want this feature. If they made multiplayer bots a fully fleshed out feature I would pay money for it. It would be awesome to be able to play whatever you want whenever you want. The multiplayer experience in matchmaking is bad. Long wait times, bad team balancing in matchmaking, team killers, quitters, people who don't play. If they added multiplayer bots I would be playing MCC so much more. Even if the bots were extremely primitive where you could only play slayer on the built in maps.

As previously mentioned this is no trivial task. This would be a HUGE undertaking, just with the programming for it alone. Halo is a very different game with many different maps, modes, and play styles. It would probably be hard to get the bots to behave intelligently for certain modes aside from slayer. It would be extremely hard to get the bots to work on user made forge maps (I have some ideas as to how they could make it work but it isn't easy). I don't know if we'll ever see anything like this in MCC, I guess we can keep asking for it. I hope Infinite would have something like this.
Forgeable AI and bots would be incredible. I recently played the original battlefront with my girlfriend and we had so much fun playing with bots. It was super awesome and I would love to be able to just choose to play bot matches in halo 2 or halo 3.
Sadly bots are much more unlikely than forgeable AI. An entirely new AI would have to be designed to behave like players do in multiplayer. I think it should be easy to spawn in enemies like covenant and stuff because their AI are written but spartan opponents would actually take a fair bit of work. People have been modding the halos to spawn AI in forge maps and multiplayer maps for awhile but bots are a whole different story. I would LOVE to see them added though
Forgable AI have existed in modding for a long time. It's a shame 343 hasnt taken note of such an amazing addition.
Im all for that, as long as bots can pathfind on my forge maps correctly. That'd be pretty awesome.
this is a really cool idea, especially cause it is kinda there with firefight customization but not as expansive as it could be if you could do it in forge
bots have been asked for as long as halo on pc again :) at least we have the games, bots would be nice.
Selphic wrote:
Im all for that, as long as bots can pathfind on my forge maps correctly. That'd be pretty awesome.
I think due to pathfinding, multiplayer bots will never come to the MCC. Would be awesome, but I don’t think it will ever happen.
This is something I've wanted for years. Red faction 2 did this. You could customize various traits and even said prioritization and favorite weapons.
God bots really would future-proof this game. I want them so so badly but I know it would be a gigantic task. Hopefully some modders can do something so we can get some multiplayer bots. It would just be such a great addition to the game.
Yeah, not gonna happen. Path-finding is nonexistent for multiplayer so it literally won't happen. Yes there are 'mods' if you want to call it that. I've seen bots played on forge maps associated with my username, however the bots mostly sat there and didn't really do anything. Wasn't even enough to put in the effort to use it.
Bot AI is something I've been very passionately working on in my own personal game projects. I've never been able to get them to 100% believably behaving-like-a-human (even though they can go so far as to sometimes victory crouch on your corpse and punch it; it's still a bit mechanical feeling), but "close enough" can still be plenty fun enough to fight against.

In the context of the Halo multiplayer itself, one possible workaround to pathfinding in multiplayer maps is forgeable path nodes and territory-like markers, though that does entirely leave out CE and 2C.

I can't personally say that I see any part of Halo MCC even remotely likely to ever get such a feature, though you bet your booty I'd love such a thing to pieces.
I love this idea! If nothing else, it'd be a useful way to practice & hone multiplayer skills!
Miles3298 wrote:
In the context of the Halo multiplayer itself, one possible workaround to pathfinding in multiplayer maps is forgeable path nodes and territory-like markers, though that does entirely leave out CE and 2C.
Exactly! This is what I was thinking. This is how multiplayer bot mods worked in Return to Castle Wolfenstein. They could make multiplayer bots with this type of system and have the nodes be a forgeable object. As for Halo CE and Halo 2, they would probably have to put the nodes in themselves.

Believe it or not, back in 2011 someone actually did this with Halo CE on PC. The project was called "Guilty Spark." It uses a network of user configured nodes for navigation and reads the map's geometry from the game's memory for doing visibility tests. I should note I have not gotten to test it yet, but I have seen YouTube videos of it. The only issue is you need a separate computer for each bot.
Id love bots in CE and 2, great way to still play multiplayer when population is low/nonexistent/people playing H3 instead.