Skip to main content

Forums / Games / Halo: The Master Chief Collection (PC)

Amount of toxic players in Socials

OP Failphobia

  1. 1
  2. ...
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. ...
  6. 4
You wouldn’t have survived the modern warfare 2 days.
Excuse me, but I endured 10 years of that game having people like you constantly denigrate others with racism and other verbal abuse. The funniest part is that you wouldn't dare say something like that in person because of the consequences.
Failphobia wrote:
You wouldn’t have survived the modern warfare 2 days.
Excuse me, but I endured 10 years of that game having people like you constantly denigrate others with racism and other verbal abuse. The funniest part is that you wouldn't dare say something like that in person because of the consequences.
When did I ever say something racist lol
I agree to a point. I've noticed a large increase of people dropping f bombs and all sorts of racist stuff recently.

There's a big difference between someone saying EZ which is expected and the now more common myriad of abuse I see almost every game.

I destroy in almost every single game, and people get mega salty and say all sorts of stuff to me. I just continue teabagging and winning games, but a report button is needed imo.
halo is worse than any videogame community I've ever encountered for bigots and -Yoinks!- in general. I can not WAIT until the text chat update comes to the game and I can just shoot some reds and blues without being harassed.
Someone hasn't played literally any other shooter and went to literally any other community. "Bigots" these days tend to be a person who insulted you and made you upset, most likely over a joke you couldn't handle. Alot of people seem to forget that no matter what people will be -Yoinks!- to each other. so in other words, Grow a pair and ignore it.

As for OP's "[insert here] Is ProBlEmAtiC" fit, I'm gonna just stop reading right there and leave you with this: No one online cares about one persons feelings, no one on the internet or at least a sensible person, cares if some random idiot online calls him a name, boo hoo don't parents still try and get their kids to stand up for themselves? Clearly not anymore!
Failphobia wrote:
You wouldn’t have survived the modern warfare 2 days.
Excuse me, but I endured 10 years of that game having people like you constantly denigrate others with racism and other verbal abuse. The funniest part is that you wouldn't dare say something like that in person because of the consequences.
Wow, who woulda thought that someone wouldn't say a slur to someone in person, but would say it to some random whiny annoying, irritating person on the internet? I sure didn't!

ApprovedJoey at no point in either of their posts, said ANYTHING racist, or had any sort of verbal abuse, and you'll forgive me (and most likely joey) if I say I 110% do not at all believe you when you say you "endured" 10 years of MW lobbies.

Lastly, nothing is funny about what you said at the end of your post, this is just trying to act high and mighty at this point.
(Yes mods, I know I responded to another user with another text box, that wasn't on purpose.)
Yeah, it's a shame. Halo has always been like this though.
...
...

As for OP's "[insert here] Is ProBlEmAtiC" fit, I'm gonna just stop reading right there and leave you with this: No one online cares about one persons feelings, no one on the internet or at least a sensible person, cares if some random idiot online calls him a name, boo hoo don't parents still try and get their kids to stand up for themselves? Clearly not anymore!
Maybe you live in a country with "MUH FREEDOMS", but over here in the civilised world there is a thing called hate speech. Are you really gonna "boo hoo" people who don't want others to talk smack about historical genocides? Because that's what you're doing.

Failphobia wrote:
...
...
Wow, who woulda thought that someone wouldn't say a slur to someone in person, but would say it to some random whiny annoying, irritating person on the internet? I sure didn't!

ApprovedJoey at no point in either of their posts, said ANYTHING racist, or had any sort of verbal abuse, and you'll forgive me (and most likely joey) if I say I 110% do not at all believe you when you say you "endured" 10 years of MW lobbies.

Lastly, nothing is funny about what you said at the end of your post, this is just trying to act high and mighty at this point.
(Yes mods, I know I responded to another user with another text box, that wasn't on purpose.)
Do you realise the irony of your verbal-abuse-ridden post?
But.. what's wrong with being toxic tho? Everyone plays better when we're all toxic.
Legitsky wrote:
Yeah, it's a shame. Halo has always been like this though.
It actually hasn't been if you were a player back between Halo CE and Halo 3. The community was actually quite wholesome.

Once we hit Halo Reach though things went south fast because a lot of the little kids migrated from CoD to Halo.
Personally that's why I always ask my potential teammates what their first Halo was and if they answer Reach or 4 they get a one strike policy where if they are toxic once I just leave.
Zeruca wrote:
Legitsky wrote:
Yeah, it's a shame. Halo has always been like this though.
It actually hasn't been if you were a player back between Halo CE and Halo 3. The community was actually quite wholesome.

Once we hit Halo Reach though things went south fast because a lot of the little kids migrated from CoD to Halo.
Personally that's why I always ask my potential teammates what their first Halo was and if they answer Reach or 4 they get a one strike policy where if they are toxic once I just leave.
Don't mean to be rude, but I'm curious - why would you be more lenient on certain people's toxic behaviour at all? That doesn't really make sense to me.

More on topic, but this game really needs some kind of report feature. Personally, the slurs never bothered me (And before anyone says anything, I do belong to minority groups which are frequently used as insults, thank you), but that doesn't mean I expect other people to just brush potentially very hurtful insults off like I do.

That being said... it's the in-game stuff like team killing I can't stand, and I've seen quite a bit of it actually - a lot more than I remember from games past, anyway.
MercyMeh wrote:
But.. what's wrong with being toxic tho? Everyone plays better when we're all toxic.
You must not have played when the big online shooter was Quake 1. Back then people actively helped one another get better at the game together. There were also plenty of websites dedicated to helping people improve themselves. Matches back then were genuinely better because of it, more so compared to how matches play out today...
What's significantly more offensive is when people betray you for weaponry. This was very rarely an occurence on the Xbox but for whatever reason became commonplace on PC. Good thing 343i implemented invincibility against teammates.
Worse than that though is the constant quitting and AFK players. It's absolutely ridiculous. Quitting happens, without exaggeration, surely at least every second game. I really think that's a legitimate stat. It's rampant. Much of the reason why I stick almost exclusively to BTB now.
halo is worse than any videogame community I've ever encountered for bigots and -Yoinks!- in general. I can not WAIT until the text chat update comes to the game and I can just shoot some reds and blues without being harassed.
Someone hasn't played literally any other shooter and went to literally any other community. "Bigots" these days tend to be a person who insulted you and made you upset, most likely over a joke you couldn't handle. Alot of people seem to forget that no matter what people will be -Yoinks!- to each other. so in other words, Grow a pair and ignore it.

As for OP's "[insert here] Is ProBlEmAtiC" fit, I'm gonna just stop reading right there and leave you with this: No one online cares about one persons feelings, no one on the internet or at least a sensible person, cares if some random idiot online calls him a name, boo hoo don't parents still try and get their kids to stand up for themselves? Clearly not anymore!
Nah. Halo's community is absolutely dreadful since it's come to PC. Nothing but constant bickering and whining about everything you can possibly imagine. I visit many game's Steam forums. None have come as close to the toxicity of Halo's near launch last December.
Failphobia wrote:
...
...

As for OP's "[insert here] Is ProBlEmAtiC" fit, I'm gonna just stop reading right there and leave you with this: No one online cares about one persons feelings, no one on the internet or at least a sensible person, cares if some random idiot online calls him a name, boo hoo don't parents still try and get their kids to stand up for themselves? Clearly not anymore!
Maybe you live in a country with "MUH FREEDOMS", but over here in the civilised world there is a thing called hate speech. Are you really gonna "boo hoo" people who don't want others to talk smack about historical genocides? Because that's what you're doing.

Failphobia wrote:
...
...
Wow, who woulda thought that someone wouldn't say a slur to someone in person, but would say it to some random whiny annoying, irritating person on the internet? I sure didn't!

ApprovedJoey at no point in either of their posts, said ANYTHING racist, or had any sort of verbal abuse, and you'll forgive me (and most likely joey) if I say I 110% do not at all believe you when you say you "endured" 10 years of MW lobbies.

Lastly, nothing is funny about what you said at the end of your post, this is just trying to act high and mighty at this point.
(Yes mods, I know I responded to another user with another text box, that wasn't on purpose.)
Do you realise the irony of your verbal-abuse-ridden post?
"Verbal abuse ridden post"
My god... what a joke.
Way to assume yet another false thing about me.
I'm canadian, and its very simple, I know the damn difference between genuine HATE SPEECH and ONLINE TRASH TALKING.
Grow.
A.
Pair.
MercyMeh wrote:
But.. what's wrong with being toxic tho? Everyone plays better when we're all toxic.
You must not have played when the big online shooter was Quake 1. Back then people actively helped one another get better at the game together. There were also plenty of websites dedicated to helping people improve themselves. Matches back then were genuinely better because of it, more so compared to how matches play out today...
I mean yea, but compare it to quake's 3, pro and even UT's scene, their toxicity led to more good players. When Halo was "toxic" wasn't it very popular?
MercyMeh wrote:
MercyMeh wrote:
But.. what's wrong with being toxic tho? Everyone plays better when we're all toxic.
You must not have played when the big online shooter was Quake 1. Back then people actively helped one another get better at the game together. There were also plenty of websites dedicated to helping people improve themselves. Matches back then were genuinely better because of it, more so compared to how matches play out today...
I mean yea, but compare it to quake's 3, pro and even UT's scene, their toxicity led to more good players. When Halo was "toxic" wasn't it very popular?
Eh, I remember Halo being bad the instant Halo 2 hit the scene. At least to an extent... But then again, just about every other game out there was slowly getting worse now that people realized they could start being -Yoinks!- online and get away with it.

Also probably a fault of gaming as a whole growing too. Since Back in the days of Quake 1, it was probably closer to that of a niche group ( although fairly large mind you ). As it grows and you start encountering significantly larger amounts of people, all different it starts to generally sour over time.

Not really sure if there is much you can do... Probably why I tend to stick to friends when playing online over randoms... I enjoy playing with them and I know they're a solid group of individuals that I can play well alongside.
To OP and others:

You're never going to get what you want. By cracking down you only make it worse because people lash out in protest.

The simple reason is because ultimately it's only text on the internet and temporary at that. If you, or someone with you is unable to cope with mean words, you may want to stop playing online games altogether. The idea of catering to a extremely vocal minority of people has always baffled me, especially when games have ignore and mute functions that keep you from dealing with people you dislike. Instead you demand you be babysat the entire time and have people you don't like be struck down.

Grow a pair
i think the big increase lately is down to various lockdowns globally, people venting and acting out of sorts.
Not once have I ran into toxic comments in the chat, not once. Maybe its different in ranked playlists, but in social games all I have seen is commentary like "gg" or something.

Just because you see something once or twice does not mean the problem is frequent.
This post has been edited by a moderator. Please do not purposely bypass the word filter.
*Original post. Click at your own discretion.
Spoiler:
Show
  1. 1
  2. ...
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. ...
  6. 4