Forums / Games / Halo: The Master Chief Collection (PC)

Anniversary and original graphics on MCC PC?

OP DesPaws

1. 1
  2. ...
  3. ...
  4. 2
I know it's early days yet, but wondering if it's been mentioned if players will be able to switch between original and anniversary graphics on Halo CE and Halo 2 in the PC release of MCC like we can on xbox?

I did some searching and couldn't find any discussion of it.
i don't think they said anything specific about that, but since it's still the MCC where there was this option available, i would be very surprised if it isn't there. why would they take out a big feature of the console MCC when they bring it to pc? that wouldn't make any sense.
i also don't think this needs extra confirmation, since, to me, it is kind of obvious that it would be there.
I can't see why they would choose to exclude it. Running two different sets of graphics would tax lower-end PCs, but on most that are designed for gaming it wouldn't be an issue. I'm not a coder but I assume it'd be (comparatively) easier to include a fuction to disable one set of graphics on startup for those whose rigs can't handle it, and add the switching feature for others.
I can't see why they would choose to exclude it. Running two different sets of graphics would tax lower-end PCs, but on most that are designed for gaming it wouldn't be an issue. I'm not a coder but I assume it'd be (comparatively) easier to include a fuction to disable one set of graphics on startup for those whose rigs can't handle it, and add the switching feature for others.
Exactly. I have a gaming laptop with decent specs but I’d like the option to turn off anniversary graphics so I can run it better.
Definitely get the need for the option to switch graphic types and am fairly confident that will be included at launch
Pretty sure it's going to be there, since its a major feature of the anniversary editions of halo combat evolved and halo 2.
Even though 343 haven't mentioned anything about the development of the games after Reach (like progress or features) I think it will be included. It was well received when Halo CE and Halo 2 Anniversary had them implemented. Obviously, we won't hear anything for some time but I am confident they will do it.
It wouldn't really be too difficult to port halo 1 and 2 considering the original PC release's of both of those games. IIRC I believe they are also working with the teams behind Halo Online, and Project Cartographer. I also just remember that the Halo 1 in MCC is actually just the PC port brought forward rather than the very original. There's a video I saw a while back comparing Halo CE on Xbox and Halo CE anniversary on 360 and MCC (in the original graphics) showing that some of the things didn't carry through mostly visual effects with lighting and fog and such. So bringing it back shouldn't be too much of a stretch. Although I think they're focus is mostly on stuff that hasn't accessed for PC players before (except Halo 5 ofc.)

EDIT: I found the video, it's from Light Night Gaming https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M6nZPrMSu0w
My question is, for H2A, do you guys think it'll be possible to mod the classic music & sound effects to work with the anniversary graphics?
I highly doubt the feature will be able to switch on the fly like in the console versions. However I do think they might implement a feature for the campaign where you can decide before launching the story if you wish to run it in classic version instead. For multiplayer it would be impossible as they have remastered h2a maps that you could not play with classic graphics. Though they do have maps with the classic graphics that you would be able to play and get a better frame rate on those maps, as they did not remaster every map. You truly would be missing out though for campaign , as the graphics in halo 2A are absolutely stunning! don't forget about the terminals :)
Pretty confident at least halo 1 will work that way
Why wouldn't they implement this feature? It's a major feature of the Anniversary games and if the 360 could handle it with CE:A then even a low tier PC could do it.
Pretty confident at least halo 1 will work that way
I hope both the games have the feature on pc of course. But I would rather have it in halo 2 if one game had to have just my opinion.
I highly doubt the feature will be able to switch on the fly like in the console versions. However I do think they might implement a feature for the campaign where you can decide before launching the story if you wish to run it in classic version instead. For multiplayer it would be impossible as they have remastered h2a maps that you could not play with classic graphics. Though they do have maps with the classic graphics that you would be able to play and get a better frame rate on those maps, as they did not remaster every map. You truly would be missing out though for campaign , as the graphics in halo 2A are absolutely stunning! don't forget about the terminals :)
Why not? All of the remastered Halos allow you to switch graphics on the fly in the campaign.
HazMat2737 wrote:
Why not? All of the remastered Halos allow you to switch graphics on the fly in the campaign.
we won't know for sure all I suspect is that if you switch graphics in halo 2 A especially from 4k to a 4k version of halo 2 original and switch back that would take a lotof loading pecially with all the new graphical features being added t the game that the xbox version won't have its honestly hard to say how it work we would have to wait and see :)
HazMat2737 wrote:
we won't know for sure all I suspect is that if you switch graphics in halo 2 A especially from 4k to a 4k version of halo 2 original and switch back that would take a lotof loading pecially with all the new graphical features being added t the game that the xbox version won't have its honestly hard to say how it work we would have to wait and see :)
From what I understand the anniversary versions have two graphics engines running simultaneously and only one of these is actually rendered to the screen at a time. The original engine also accounts for collision detection. At worst we could expect to see some 'pop in' when toggling anniversary on with lower end machines, but I can't see a reason why the feature would be removed entirely.

Also the term '4K' just refers to a specific resolution. There isn't really a 4K version of Halo 2. It's just that the max resolution is set at 4K (or possibly higher for PC).
I would imagine at the very least, lower end PCs will have to wait between the graphic switch similar to Halo CEA's switching on the 360.
HazMat2737 wrote:
i mean the xbox one x does 4k for both and it can switch back and forth on the fly. i dont see why they wouldnt be able to allow that on pc.
especially if you consider that the xbox runs a modified version of windows it should theoretically be able to run in a pretty similar fashion.
Voltro7416 wrote:
HazMat2737 wrote:
i mean the xbox one x does 4k for both and it can switch back and forth on the fly. i dont see why they wouldnt be able to allow that on pc.
especially if you consider that the xbox runs a modified version of windows it should theoretically be able to run in a pretty similar fashion.
Agreed. PC should be able to easily pull this off. There is no reason that it wouldn't work, even with all additional features being added.
HazMat2737 wrote:
Voltro7416 wrote:
HazMat2737 wrote:
Agreed. PC should be able to easily pull this off. There is no reason that it wouldn't work, even with all additional features being added.
Um, not if features you turn back on require a game reboot, there are games that require a reboot if you change dx versions or other settings.
  1. 1
  2. ...
  3. ...
  4. 2