Forums / Games / Halo: The Master Chief Collection (PC)

Basic modern FPS features

OP NAG4SE

Hello! I wanted to toss in some suggestions and general feedback I have for the PC release of the game. MCC coming on PC is a huge possibility to revamp the interest in the brand from old and new fans. I really hope everything goes smooth, the games score big sales and Twitch/Mixer/Youtube etc. numbers for a long long time. That said, I moved to PC gaming in the last few years, specifically for competitive FPS games. There are some features that I got used to and lack in the console version of the games (some even in the most recent Halo 5, mind you) which I really couldn't bring myself to go over once I got used to them on PC. I honestly feel like most of them are basic modern FPS features and for this reason the lack of some (or all) of them could be a little unsettling for both newcomers and old fans. I know some important options have already been confirmed (like FOV sliders, custom key binding, uncapped fps, etc.) and I'm very happy for it, but there are also some basic features I'd like to see confirmed for the final release.
  • Performance stats on display: Knowing the current fps value, hardware temps, latency from the server and such is a staple in most FPS games. An in-game option to toggle some or all of them on should really be looked into in my opinion. Latency values in particular are very important and should not be represented only by the older and simple systems the games have already.
  • Server select: The possibility to select the geographical area you want to play in is also very common as well as important. There are different reason for this: personally for example I play at weird times occasionally. According to the time I may prefer to change my geographical region to get into one with a higher population and fairer matches, at the cost of higher latency of course. There are dozens of other reasons why people prefer to change their server and a quick research on Google will show you that it's not an uncommon circumstance.
  • A revamp of the ranking system: I personally think that this is not a big deal, but I grew with Halo and its Trueskill 1-50 ranking system so I may be biased. A more modern, user friendly ranking system could help new players feel at home. The one used by Halo 5 would be perfect.
  • Custom reticles: This is also not important for me specifically, but I could see a lot of people happy with being able to customize their reticle for each or some weapons.
  • Smoother online experience: I don't know how to explain this properly, but every time I came back to the MCC I felt a little bit clunky. Not because of the gameplay which is old, sure, but I'm used to it. It's more to do with the overall hit detection/registration that sometimes felt a little bit behind when it really shouldn't be. I don't know if this is a personal feeling or a known issue.
  • Text chat: This has simply been a staple in PC games for as long as I can remember. A text chat with separated channels for entire lobby, team, group should be integrated in-game at all costs. The risk is to lose banter, trash-talk, memes and even simple things like asking if a network error is occurring for everyone. I'm pretty sure devs use it when testing things out, don't take the fun away from us!
Most of these things may sound trivial, and some truly are, but they are as trivial as they are a basic part of any modern FPS online experience. I feel like the presence of these kind of things, as well as what has been confirmed already, is very important for the PC community and will help everyone appreciate this port even more.

Let me know if there's something you'd like to see added/removed from this list. I'd like to hear what the community thinks of this! :)
Performance Stats: 100% agree

Server Select: I do not see this in many PC games I play, however we may play different games. I've really only seen it in Ark, but I don't play CSGO or Rainbow Six Siege so I don't know if we see it there. I could get on board with this, but a central hub of players is always preferable so as not to dilute the pool further than it is - but just my opinion.

Revamp of the ranking system: Agree except I enjoyed Halo 4's the most, but I think they should send us something unique that covers all 6 games rather than just implementing Guardians'.

Custom Reticles: I dunno, I like the feel that we are all using the same weapons with the same distinctive features, including reticle. This isn't really CoD. We've got alot of armor customization that makes someone unique, which is fine in my opinion.

Smoother Online Experience: I agree with this, MCC on XBO was certainly clunky. Gameplay is what it is, but the menu selections, finding games, etc. could definitely be smoother.

Text Chat: Any PC game should have text chat. Agree.

Just my opinions but I agree that the PC version should be conducive to PC players - however not at the expense of the Halo experience.
you're right, I just hope there are not many bugs like crossing the floor or getting stuck in a wall etc
Deff agree on Halo 5 ranking system for competitive matches as well. I'm sure they will also include many things you mentioned and others such as frame locking and all that jazz. Want to hit champion again in Halo. That was the most rewarding feeling ever.
Quote:
Smoother online experience: I don't know how to explain this properly, but every time I came back to the MCC I felt a little bit clunky. Not because of the gameplay which is old, sure, but I'm used to it. It's more to do with the overall hit detection/registration that sometimes felt a little bit behind when it really shouldn't be. I don't know if this is a personal feeling or a known issue.
This was already addressed in the April update of MCC. All games run at 60 tics per second, rather than the 30/15 that they did before.
Quote:
This was already addressed in the April update of MCC. All games run at 60 tics per second, rather than the 30/15 that they did before.
I remember reading about this in a community update not too long ago, did it make the online experience better? I was mostly worried about hit registration.
In regards to custom crosshairs, I think that would be great and one of the studios working on the pc version (Splash Damage) had some pretty good crosshair settings for their game Dirty Bomb and later on made it so you could use a small png in the config folder as your crosshair.

The vid from that Dirty Bomb update, adding fav custom crosshair system- https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gGMd4Qt30Pk
NAG4SE wrote:
Hello! I wanted to toss in some suggestions and general feedback I have for the PC release of the game. MCC coming on PC is a huge possibility to revamp the interest in the brand from old and new fans. I really hope everything goes smooth, the games score big sales and Twitch/Mixer/Youtube etc. numbers for a long long time. That said, I moved to PC gaming in the last few years, specifically for competitive FPS games. There are some features that I got used to and lack in the console version of the games (some even in the most recent Halo 5, mind you) which I really couldn't bring myself to go over once I got used to them on PC. I honestly feel like most of them are basic modern FPS features and for this reason the lack of some (or all) of them could be a little unsettling for both newcomers and old fans. I know some important options have already been confirmed (like FOV sliders, custom key binding, uncapped fps, etc.) and I'm very happy for it, but there are also some basic features I'd like to see confirmed for the final release.
  • Performance stats on display: Knowing the current fps value, hardware temps, latency from the server and such is a staple in most FPS games. An in-game option to toggle some or all of them on should really be looked into in my opinion. Latency values in particular are very important and should not be represented only by the older and simple systems the games have already.
  • Server select: The possibility to select the geographical area you want to play in is also very common as well as important. There are different reason for this: personally for example I play at weird times occasionally. According to the time I may prefer to change my geographical region to get into one with a higher population and fairer matches, at the cost of higher latency of course. There are dozens of other reasons why people prefer to change their server and a quick research on Google will show you that it's not an uncommon circumstance.
  • A revamp of the ranking system: I personally think that this is not a big deal, but I grew with Halo and its Trueskill 1-50 ranking system so I may be biased. A more modern, user friendly ranking system could help new players feel at home. The one used by Halo 5 would be perfect.
  • Custom reticles: This is also not important for me specifically, but I could see a lot of people happy with being able to customize their reticle for each or some weapons.
  • Smoother online experience: I don't know how to explain this properly, but every time I came back to the MCC I felt a little bit clunky. Not because of the gameplay which is old, sure, but I'm used to it. It's more to do with the overall hit detection/registration that sometimes felt a little bit behind when it really shouldn't be. I don't know if this is a personal feeling or a known issue.
  • Text chat: This has simply been a staple in PC games for as long as I can remember. A text chat with separated channels for entire lobby, team, group should be integrated in-game at all costs. The risk is to lose banter, trash-talk, memes and even simple things like asking if a network error is occurring for everyone. I'm pretty sure devs use it when testing things out, don't take the fun away from us!
Most of these things may sound trivial, and some truly are, but they are as trivial as they are a basic part of any modern FPS online experience. I feel like the presence of these kind of things, as well as what has been confirmed already, is very important for the PC community and will help everyone appreciate this port even more.

Let me know if there's something you'd like to see added/removed from this list. I'd like to hear what the community thinks of this! :)
Votekicking and being able to better pick and choose which maps you'd want to play on in Social/Casual Matchmaking (think like how TF2/CS:GO does it), don't forget that too!
The one gripe I always had with the MCC is that I just want the Halo 4 button layout, specifically;

RB to melee
X to reload
Left stick to crouch
Left trigger to throw grenade
LB for ability/throw item, VISR, etc...

I've always been so annoyed by the fact that I'd have to change the entire way how my controller works by using the accessories app, which felt REALLY odd, since then left stick would be "B", or other buttons.
Rebinding is already a confirmed feature, which I love, but perhaps allow for multiple binds for the same action? Or the same button bound to multiple actions? There's no need to have it be locked to just a single action, maybe give a warning that it's a previously used binding and still allow it?

Other than that,
ENDgie wrote:
In regards to custom crosshairs, I think that would be great and one of the studios working on the pc version (Splash Damage) had some pretty good crosshair settings for their game Dirty Bomb and later on made it so you could use a small png in the config folder as your crosshair.

The vid from that Dirty Bomb update, adding fav custom crosshair system- https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gGMd4Qt30Pk
That's very cool indeed, maybe a tad extreme but who am I to judge crossairs?
The one gripe I always had with the MCC is that I just want the Halo 4 button layout, specifically;

RB to melee
X to reload
Left stick to crouch
Left trigger to throw grenade
LB for ability/throw item, VISR, etc...

I've always been so annoyed by the fact that I'd have to change the entire way how my controller works by using the accessories app, which felt REALLY odd, since then left stick would be "B", or other buttons.
Rebinding is already a confirmed feature, which I love, but perhaps allow for multiple binds for the same action? Or the same button bound to multiple actions? There's no need to have it be locked to just a single action, maybe give a warning that it's a previously used binding and still allow it?

Other than that,
I think they'll allow multiple keys for the same action, that's pretty standard for most games anyway. That goes for M/K and controller of course.