Forums / Games / Halo: The Master Chief Collection (PC)

Bump mapping, Transparency, Shaders

OP xBx Austin xDx

1. 1
  2. ...
  3. ...
  4. 2
These things are still not working correctly in the new build of Halo 1. As most people know, things like Jackal shields and Covenant barriers changing colors still does not work, and nice features Bungie made such as Bump Mapping for textures is still broken. Best example you can currently see is on Truth and Reconciliation. Shining a light on the ground reveals how the ground should look, but any other time it is dull and lifeless. This happens for things such as Forerunner Structures as well.

I was hoping that 343 would be able to resolve these issues for Halo 1. Here's hoping the team takes notice and makes every effort to restore this game to its former glory.
These issues came with the gearbox port of CE, which as far as I know are relatively unfixable without a lot of work. I feel like there are bigger issues effecting the game right now.
They seem to have the bump mapping down pretty well in the multiplayer maps.
S1imothyJ wrote:
These issues came with the gearbox port of CE, which as far as I know are relatively unfixable without a lot of work. I feel like there are bigger issues effecting the game right now.
I'm aware of the origin of these issues. Modders somewhat fixed the bump mapping and transparency, so there isn't a reason they couldn't get it fixed with professional manpower I feel.
S1imothyJ wrote:
I'm aware of the origin of these issues. Modders somewhat fixed the bump mapping and transparency, so there isn't a reason they couldn't get it fixed with professional manpower I feel.
Personally the way I think they will tackle the issue is bring the modders who have been working for years to fix these issues and honestly probably have a better understanding of the underlying issues than 343 does. If they don't go this route I wouldn't expect any fixes until the collection is complete on PC, since these issues will effect both the PC and Xbox Versions of the game, and I imagine they are going to want to get the rest of the collection out as soon as they can get it out. Just my thoughts. Hopefully they don't just never fix it.
I don't know where the break is since I'm frankly not that bothered by the shield thing but they're most definite working in later levels.
They have the gearbox behaviour in "Truth and reconciliation" but they're changing color and all that in "Assault on control room"
This is with the enhanced graphics enabled. No idea if the true "og" graphics can even be enabled.

Edit:
Just found the og setting (Sorry) and it is indeed still borked.
I personally couldn't care less since I prefer the new graphics but I can certainly understand your frustration.
They never fixed it it xbox, they wont fix it in pc. Thr ones expecting them to fix those when the MCC is complete have not really paid attention to 343 track.

I would love to have them make me eat my words and fix those issues though.
Fry Hervas wrote:
They never fixed it it xbox, they wont fix it in pc. Thr ones expecting them to fix those when the MCC is complete have not really paid attention to 343 track.

I would love to have them make me eat my words and fix those issues though.
343 said nearly 2 years ago that there looking to work with the modders. Though that post was back in sept of 2018 if im not mistaken. Though no hints if when if ever they will go along with it.
S1imothyJ wrote:
Personally the way I think they will tackle the issue is bring the modders who have been working for years to fix these issues and honestly probably have a better understanding of the underlying issues than 343 does. If they don't go this route I wouldn't expect any fixes until the collection is complete on PC, since these issues will effect both the PC and Xbox Versions of the game, and I imagine they are going to want to get the rest of the collection out as soon as they can get it out. Just my thoughts. Hopefully they don't just never fix it.
Getting the modders in is definitely a good shout. Lot's of studios hire/employ modders from the community in heavily modded titles. It just depends where 343i prioritises the issue.
They seem to have the bump mapping down pretty well in the multiplayer maps.
That's because multiplayer is probably where they put most of their focus. They definitely fixed the water and glass shaders in the campaign, but multiplayer is definitely where most of their effort was concentrated for everything else.
You would think after all these years they would do something
chriva404 wrote:
I don't know where the break is since I'm frankly not that bothered by the shield thing but they're most definite working in later levels.
They have the gearbox behaviour in "Truth and reconciliation" but they're changing color and all that in "Assault on control room"
This is with the enhanced graphics enabled. No idea if the true "og" graphics can even be enabled.

Edit:
Just found the og setting (Sorry) and it is indeed still borked.
I personally couldn't care less since I prefer the new graphics but I can certainly understand your frustration.
The OG CE is a technical marvel for its time period, and Bungie achieved things that were paramount in establishing the artstyle we all know and love. It's a shame that it is being lost to time because of "priorities."

Art should be a massive priority, especially when it was tarnished in such a disgraceful way.
S1imothyJ wrote:
This is absolutely untrue. The community has already devoted years to fixing the issues with the CE port. 343 can simply work with the modders and fans responsible, thus saving HOURS of development time and costs. Right now I can download working fixes to the shaders and bump mapping from fansites and get them working with a lot of tweaking. I'm sure 343 can do it too -- and the modders / fans will be more than happy to assist them.

So please, don't give us hollow excuses. The current build is pretty darn stable, there really aren't any huge issues with regards to the campaign. Fixing the classic graphics is absolutely one of the bigger issues right now.
S1imothyJ wrote:
This is absolutely untrue. The community has already devoted years to fixing the issues with the CE port. 343 can simply work with the modders and fans responsible, thus saving HOURS of development time and costs. Right now I can download working fixes to the shaders and bump mapping from fansites and get them working with a lot of tweaking. I'm sure 343 can do it too -- and the modders / fans will be more than happy to assist them.

So please, don't give us hollow excuses. The current build is pretty darn stable, there really aren't any huge issues with regards to the campaign. Fixing the classic graphics is absolutely one of the bigger issues right now.
I already addressed this....

S1imothyJ wrote:
S1imothyJ wrote:
Getting the modders in is definitely a good shout. Lot's of studios hire/employ modders from the community in heavily modded titles. It just depends where 343i prioritises the issue.
i’m sure these changes will come over time as insider builds pass, if you’re going to bring it to pc make it how it was originally
i’m sure these changes will come over time as insider builds pass, if you’re going to bring it to pc make it how it was originally
The original PC version had these issues too. Only the OG Xbox version works properly.
The original PC version had these issues too. Only the OG Xbox version works properly.
yes that is what i meant to say
I really hope they fix this. Halo was famous for its graphics and to see it represented in the MCC by such a dull and hobbled version is not right. I would really like to play the campaign again with the real bump mapping, transparency and other effects in their full glory.
I really hope they fix this. Halo was famous for its graphics and to see it represented in the MCC by such a dull and hobbled version is not right. I would really like to play the campaign again with the real bump mapping, transparency and other effects in their full glory.
That what we been wanting since Halo have been port to PC back in 2003. And it was never fixed by gearbox...... But hey one day one can hope that 343 will be like alright. Lets get this back to its glory days the way its meant to feel and look. I hope you hearing this 343! :D Were counting on you please!.
343, call the modders finally solve the CE problems in the MCC. All these are already old problems of Randy, as well as 3d sound, as well as the limitations of animations in frames per second. You can fix it all.
  1. 1
  2. ...
  3. ...
  4. 2