Forums / Games / Halo: The Master Chief Collection (PC)

Can we bring OG Reach Map Voting back?

OP xXSkullCrunchXx

1. 1
  2. ...
  3. 2
  4. ...
  5. 3
Not even all of the maps are in matchmaking, I keep getting into the same maps that i dislike over and over again, and it's especially annoying in infection which was my favourite game mode in OG Reach, it's ruined by all the filtered/greyed out maps and the DLC maps with all the out of bounds areas:

https://imgur.com/a/5cFyt0g
https://imgur.com/a/M6X9dgN

Team snipers and other modes, i seem to keep getting into all the anniversary maps like solitary, high noon and battle canyon, and in BTB i keep getting into Highlands. I'm 20+ hours in and i haven't seen/very rarely played: Boardwalk, Boneyard, Countdown, Powerhouse, Reflection, Spire, Sword Base, Tempest, Penance, Break Neck and a lotta player-created Forge World maps, like The Cage for infection or general Slayer etc.

The way it worked in Reach was good, you played a map, you wouldn't see that map again after many games - that prevents the "sameyness" all the people who are against map voting talk about, i've talked to people in Discords that say its feeling really repetitive with the current map pool and lack of map voting. Plus, back then, we never had to play Infection and instead we could play Alpha Zombies :). It's a win/win.
The manic switching of votes back and forth between maps in Reach was nauseating. If MCC is ever going to have a voting system again, it should offer the bare minimum: a single veto opportunity, just like it was in Halo 3.
The manic switching of votes back and forth between maps in Reach was nauseating. If MCC is ever going to have a voting system again, it should offer the bare minimum: a single veto opportunity, just like it was in Halo 3.
Agree, give us the halo 3 veto setting.
The manic switching of votes back and forth between maps in Reach was nauseating.
These excuses are getting more interesting day by day lol. I didn't see anyone back in 2010 when games had map voting, complaining about this lmfao.
I dont think map vote is the right way to go about it or we will just have the dust 2 issue happen.

Surely it's bugged or something I can play like 15 games but only play on 3 maps that are ironically all anniversary maps
Not even all of the maps are in matchmaking, I keep getting into the same maps that i dislike over and over again, and it's especially annoying in infection which was my favourite game mode in OG Reach, it's ruined by all the filtered/greyed out maps and the DLC maps with all the out of bounds areas:

https://imgur.com/a/5cFyt0g
https://imgur.com/a/M6X9dgN

Team snipers and other modes, i seem to keep getting into all the anniversary maps like solitary, high noon and battle canyon, and in BTB i keep getting into Highlands. I'm 20+ hours in and i haven't seen/very rarely played: Boardwalk, Boneyard, Countdown, Powerhouse, Reflection, Spire, Sword Base, Tempest, Penance, Break Neck and a lotta player-created Forge World maps, like The Cage for infection or general Slayer etc.

The way it worked in Reach was good, you played a map, you wouldn't see that map again after many games - that prevents the "sameyness" all the people who are against map voting talk about, i've talked to people in Discords that say its feeling really repetitive with the current map pool and lack of map voting. Plus, back then, we never had to play Infection and instead we could play Alpha Zombies :). It's a win/win.
+1 Devs please add this
I can fully agree. BTB is always the same maps. Ive played like around 10 BTB matches and I keep getting the same old 3 DLC maps that I dont like. Where is the Forge maps like Abridge? Mtn Lam lam? where are those?
Not to mention that they removed the banshees and laser hogs from boneyard. They also added barriers in boneyard blocking off 50% of the map.
https://imgur.com/a/mJc59Rq
I couldn't agree with this more. I search, get DLC maps over and over then I find Boneyard and Spire to discover they've been butchered. I don't know why 343 feel the need to do these things.. A lot of my friends won't even touch the game type now. They could at least let you filter the DLC maps out from the original and add Abridged, Mt Lam lam, Trident, Utopie and Wayont. All they had to do was make it 60 FPS on console and leave it at that.. Nothing more. Super disappointed. I've even seen a few people from the BTB community go back to Legacy Reach due to this.
I dislike voting. It always ends up with the same maps over and over and over again. I paid for this entire game, so I'd rather play on ALL of the maps I paid for instead of just four. I played a few hours of SWAT the other day was pleasantly surprised that I was almost able to make it through the whole roster of maps without any repeats, which was AWESOME. I think one of the key tenants of the master chief collection is variety, and I am someone who really likes variety in their MP maps and appreciates playing on many different types of maps.

Any implementation of voting would basically be the final nail in the coffin for maps that aren't as popular, and any implementation of filters between dlc, launch dev maps, or forged maps would only serve to fragment the playerbase.

Everyone has their opinions, and I personally would not mind random maps where every map is equally weighted. I like most of the maps in this game and want to get my moneys worth and really experience this game in its entirety. I'll man up and play a few matches on maps I don't care for as much if it means someone else enjoys them and that there is variety in the map pool.
Oh man it’s been so long since I’ve got to play a halo game I forgot voting was a thing. This game severely needs it. It’s got the randomizer equivalent of the ITunes shuffle feature. Actually I don’t know which is worse at randomizing the stuff. But both are pretty bad and I’ll leave it at that.
The manic switching of votes back and forth between maps in Reach was nauseating.
These excuses are getting more interesting day by day lol. I didn't see anyone back in 2010 when games had map voting, complaining about this lmfao.
I can't help but notice that you didn't address the actual point I made
Nope, VETO/Voting needs to stay gone. All it does is lead to maps like Valhalla all the time, that get's boring fast. VETO/Voting was one of the worst things about matchmaking.
ronnie42 wrote:
Nope, VETO/Voting needs to stay gone. All it does is lead to maps like Valhalla all the time, that get's boring fast. VETO/Voting was one of the worst things about matchmaking.
Map voting I agree would lead to that, but what possible argument could you have for map vetoing leading to the same map over and over again? If you get to veto a map once, you get to annoy stupid maps, but you get stuck with a second choice map, which forces variety. Or are you somehow suggesting the map pools only contain a max of two maps?

Veto power allows for variation in games while still helping those of us who would hate a certain map for a certain playlist. If 51+% of the people don't want to play a map then being forced to play the broken map doesn't make the game fun at all. If we want to see a map more, we get it a bit more through veto power (by luck). People are using the excuse "If you don't want to see a certain map, you just stay in the queue. After you play, the map will be gone from your pool." If that's true, then the reverse is also true. If you stay in the queue, you won't see your "overplayed" map as often. Let us have a say whether or not we should waste our time.
Absolutely not. Voting will just repeat the problem where people always vote for the same handful of maps and gametypes like in original Reach, H4, and early MCC. If anything they just need to adjust the randomizer and map weighting. I'd rather take vetoing from Halo 3 if anything gets implemented at all.
HeyAndyB wrote:
ronnie42 wrote:
Veto power allows for variation in games while still helping those of us who would hate a certain map for a certain playlist. If 51+% of the people don't want to play a map then being forced to play the broken map doesn't make the game fun at all. If we want to see a map more, we get it a bit more through veto power (by luck). People are using the excuse "If you don't want to see a certain map, you just stay in the queue. After you play, the map will be gone from your pool." If that's true, then the reverse is also true. If you stay in the queue, you won't see your "overplayed" map as often. Let us have a say whether or not we should waste our time.
Not entirely true. Too often I'd fine a map that I liked and people would veteo it and somehow end up playing the same maps over, over...it got repetitive and frustrating. I'm glad Veto and Voting is gone for good because there is no benefit to them and removing them gives every map a chance. Strongly disagree about having more power...it basically became a dictatorship about what maps I'm allowed/disallowed to play online. If people hate most of the maps that much then I suggest sticking to custom games.
ronnie42 wrote:
HeyAndyB wrote:
ronnie42 wrote:
Strongly disagree about having more power...it basically became a dictatorship about what maps I'm allowed/disallowed to play online.
actually with people voting its called a democracy.

I for one would welcome map voting, as right now i only seem to be playing on about 3 maps in social matchmaking, so some choice would be nice. But i don't think the current lobby system is designed to have map voting because as soon as you find the players to fill it you are loading straight into the match.
ronnie42 wrote:
HeyAndyB wrote:
ronnie42 wrote:
Strongly disagree about having more power...it basically became a dictatorship about what maps I'm allowed/disallowed to play online.

I for one would welcome map voting, as right now i only seem to be playing on about 3 maps in social matchmaking, so some choice would be nice. But i don't think the current lobby system is designed to have map voting because as soon as you find the players to fill it you are loading straight into the match.
Hardly a democracy when it dictates what I can, can't play all the time. It's part of the reason I hated playing MCC online for a while because it was pointless playing if people were forcing us to play the same maps over, over. If 343i ever forced this again then matchmaking would be utter garbage so I'm glad it's gone. If people want to choose their maps then they should stick to custom games then they 'vote' with their friends instead of dictating what I can, can't play.
Whether or not voting was bad/good based on different peoples opinions, I am unhappy with the current randomizer because I am tired of playing all of the dlc maps. I want to play on maps like the cage, Asylum, Pinnacle etc. Out of those 3 I have played Asylum once. Kinda fed up with the dlc maps.
Honestly, while map voting is a pain I want to at least play some other maps. I'm so tired of the same 2 maps all the time and its stopped me from trying to play multiplayer all together at this point because it's feeling like a slog rather than a fun matchmaking experience.
I saw a good point in a response to this about how the multiple different games involved make voting/vetos a tough thing to make work considering the ways people can customize which games they matchmake for.

In response, I propose, since firefight was only ever available in 2 games, that voting and vetos make a comeback ONLY for the firefight matchmaking playlists, since they are in a seperate menu from the rest of multiplayer. Its also in the greatest need for a vote/veto since generator defense is the literal worst thing.
ronnie42 wrote:
ronnie42 wrote:
HeyAndyB wrote:
ronnie42 wrote:

Hardly a democracy when it dictates what I can, can't play all the time. It's part of the reason I hated playing MCC online for a while because it was pointless playing if people were forcing us to play the same maps over, over. If 343i ever forced this again then matchmaking would be utter garbage so I'm glad it's gone. If people want to choose their maps then they should stick to custom games then they 'vote' with their friends instead of dictating what I can, can't play.
pretty sure this is a troll, but oh well. So to get this straight, it's a dictatorship that more than half of the people playing want to play something else? But because YOU personally want to play that map, we should all be forced to play? So when you personally choose, it's a democracy but when the majority chooses to veto it's a dictatorship? yeah, ok. Sound logic I suppose.

Now for the non-trolls: Map voting sucks. That would lead to choosing the same thing over and over again. Map veto is amazing. It allows people to get a single veto for a given map and let us choose a good map. I don't believe we should be allowed to veto the game mode. I do think we should veto the bad map. I do think we should only get to veto once. Let us be able to great rid of bad maps in good playlists. 343 is not going to fix the maps, they are simply porting everything over. That means they will remain broken but we have no choice but to play in unfun, unfixed maps unless we can veto them every now and then.
  1. 1
  2. ...
  3. 2
  4. ...
  5. 3