Forums / Games / Halo: The Master Chief Collection (PC)

Can we make MCC on PC as successful as CSGO ?

OP BKR Vasily

1. 1
  2. ...
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. ...
  6. 4
I have the feeling this is going to be even bigger than CSGO, considering old players may come back to it.
i hope this is true what maybe a problem is the players that stayed on console and have not made a change to pc
BKR Vasily wrote:
BKR Vasily wrote:
CorCorCory wrote:
I believe that these two games arn't even allowed in the same category as Halo is far more superior for reasons that don't compete with CSGO.
Also for games to be successful nowadays they have to be competitive in order to be relevant.
Where did you get that load of b.s? Don't confuse relevant to you with being relevant in the market. Pubg is the only real "competitive" game in the top 10 best selling. Competitive gaming has a loud scene but it's still not a very big one
Where do i even start.. League of Legends, CSGO, Fortnite , Rocket Leauge , Hearthstone, Starcraft 2 and this list will continue with more and more titles and all of them have been around for years because of competitive esports. Millions upon millions of people are watching esports and it gives these games exposure and its because of its competitive nature. In conclusion i have no idea on what point you are trying to make. Competitive > Casual and thats the way its going to be because it is what brings the population and the population is what brings the money and the money is what keeps the devs making content.
... that's great except if your logic held true those would all be top selling games yet none are even listed in the top 50. Competitive is in no way better than casual. In fact Casual will almost always outsell competitive simply do to accessibility. Competitive can in some ways help with marketing and longevity but it can't compete with actual substance. Very few people play halo for its competitive scene and 343 will be far better off catering and building off the existing fanbase than they will trying to cultivate a new one. Particularly in a Re-release product
I have the feeling this is going to be even bigger than CSGO, considering old players may come back to it.
I haven't been a big Halo player since Reach. I did a bit of 4 and 5, but this PC release definitely has my attention.
Duplucate
Halo 1 on the PC competitive was pretty good at the start but it died out when a lot of people moved on to world of warcraft and lack of competition due to people not having computers able to run halo well and lag/lead issues with servers and high ping variance. People still play it to this day, even though most of the servers are modded servers. If players come back and with computer technology being more pronounced than it was when halo one was released for pc, I could see that being more competitive. Not to mention back then ATI graphics cards having a large advantage over nvidia cards due to being able to see invis was pretty big as well.

Can't say how it was for halo 2, or the later since I wasn't a fan of how the gameplay changed compared to the original.

Playstyle wise and gamespeed wise I personally have always felt halo 1 to be the superior game over all the later halo releases.
Honestly, if all these big streamers stick to MCC PC, then maybe.
Lol This thread aged well
I mean, if when halo 2 comes back the esports get revitalized I can halo 2 generating a ton of hype and sort of riding the wave into halo 3, which they should definitely make a big deal out of launching and market.
BKR Vasily wrote:
Hello friends, I one main concern about MCC on PC.

Will we have enough players to sustain balance ? Ive been a Halo fan since forever and now over 10 years later I get to play Halo 3 all over again this is amazing. But how can we grow the halo population on PC ? I would love to see Halo get a competitive scene on PC and be as big as other shooters such as CSGO. Help me brainstorm and tell me what you think. Is it possible or is this game going to have 30k players max that will die in a few months ?
Cs go is free to play at the moment, This game will have quite a few people when halo 3 comes out most of pc gamers who did not buy xbox for halo only played halo reach - halo 2 and never got the chance to finish the fight. And I believe multiplayer will be densely populated, starting with 2 as it had very strong multiplayer compared to CE. I don't think halo will get the same numbers of cs go due to it being free to play but halo will be up there..
I think MCC will gain a lot of players once forge and a customs browser drops. It'll add infinite replayability and create some fun things for content creators and steamers to tap into. It could be the next Garry's Mod.

Halo never has had that big of a competitive community, but has had a large and fun casual community creating tons of incredible custom content. This is where the true success in Halo lies and I hope the developers really lean into it rather than trying to compete for the csgo audience.
A ranked 4v4 Halo CE playlist would be a good place to start. I am afraid that since the devs decided to release each game separately we will not be able to achieve CS:GO level but we may be able to have some good quality tournaments streamed online and bring back some excitement if we really wanted to.

**Also always make sure to remove rocket from any ranked playlist so the players take it seriously. Especially for 2v2.
Not if 343i refuses to listen to feedback and fix the match-making, friends UI, players crashing mid-load screen, add a server browse, add JIP so matches don't just wither and die as soon as someone gets mad that they aren't topping the scoreboard, fix the sound issues, fix the lag issues, fix the input issues, add forge and everything else they've promised six months ago.
Not many people outside of Halo are going to tolerate the bad netcode of this game.

It's simply unacceptable for any healthy online shooter for:

rockets not to come out of your rocket launcher when you shoot
grenades not to leave your hand when you throw them
being backwhacked when you're facing someone
constant warping and stuttering of players and equipment
overall lack of bullet registry in general and input lag

Any person who does not absolutely love Halo is going to see these things and move on to a game that actually works
Not gonna happen. Counter Strike has been around longer than Halo. Plus it's popular worldwide where as Halo has its audience mainly in North America and Europe. Where as CSGO is extremely popular in the Asia Market. A better milestone is for Halo to pass Rainbow Six Siege, which averages 150k+ on PC where as CSGO is a million now.

I think our best hope for Halo to take off is if Halo 2 Anniversary MP becomes really popular. They need to absolutely nail the port and not have mouse delay issues which were present on Reach. As well, they need a far better rank playlist. Don't just restrict it to Swat, Invasion. Include the classic 4 vs 4 Slayer. People love a competitive ranking system, it's one of the reasons why Siege took off.

They really need to include proper mod tools and a server browser for custom games. It'll increase the longevity of the game.
GUY FIER1 wrote:
Not gonna happen. Counter Strike has been around longer than Halo. Plus it's popular worldwide where as Halo has its audience mainly in North America and Europe. Where as CSGO is extremely popular in the Asia Market. A better milestone is for Halo to pass Rainbow Six Siege, which averages 150k+ on PC where as CSGO is a million now.

I think our best hope for Halo to take off is if Halo 2 Anniversary MP becomes really popular. They need to absolutely nail the port and not have mouse delay issues which were present on Reach. As well, they need a far better rank playlist. Don't just restrict it to Swat, Invasion. Include the classic 4 vs 4 Slayer. People love a competitive ranking system, it's one of the reasons why Siege took off.

They really need to include proper mod tools and a server browser for custom games. It'll increase the longevity of the game.
You made a lot of good points my dude. I completely agree. Surpassing Seige in popularity is an achievable but good milestone for 343 to shoot for.
I also think with the the launch of valorant imminent people will also realize how much they like just simple objective based and arena shooters. I think simple graphics and mechanics are making a comeback, and if halo 2 launches in a polished state it could catapult halo back into popularity. I know many people who haven't put much time into mcc pc but are incredibly excited for halo 2's return.
Gotta think, csgo and counter strike in general, has been the same game, just updated with graphics, but the premise of the game is the same, if they didn't change the game so much between the Halo games, it could keep population. I don't like Halo 5 for the advanced movement and Pistol starts, I don't like H4 because of the sprint and not zoomed out when shot, I don't like Reach because of bloom, sprint, and dmr, I like Halo 2 and Halo 3, that's about it.
GUY FIER1 wrote:

This is exactly it. I have been such an advocate for fixing the Aim assist controller issue vs. KB/M in competitive for this exact reason.
However, I recently discovered that my biggest frustration is literally due to mouse delay / input lag issues.
I have an Asus VG248QE monitor which is supposedly a fantastic gaming monitor with good response times. I have had 0 issues playing competitive in any FPS game on PC in the last few years. Yet with Halo I find it extremely difficult to remain as consistent and precise as I am in every other game.

Found out that my Monitor has "Light Boost" which when enabled drastically reduces response time on your monitor.
I decided to give halo another try with it on and it is a night and day difference. I feel good sniping again and majority of the time can keep my shots MUCH more consistent while strafing and fighting skilled opponents. I can turn Light Boost off via keybind, and I accidently forgot to turn it off last night and was having a horrible time. I couldn't hit anything for about 4 games until I realized I forgot to turn it on. The next 5 games I was so much more consistent against the same opponents and felt confident again.

My Point with this rant on my discovery is that the majority of players are experiencing mouse delay issues which makes aiming in halo feel... just not right. even with competitive players, not everyone has access to this sort of technology or hardware that works correctly with halo. and THIS is where we get youtube videos from content creators saying that it is not an issue. because they simply are not having the issue. There are SO many variables involved creating this mouse delay / response time problem that we have a wide variety of opinions on the issue.
Now stack that against skilled players using a Controller with heavy aim assist you do not even stand a chance.

Again I do not have this issue with ANY other FPS game that I have played competitively.I still believe that 343 should be tailoring the PC port to actual PC Players to see the numbers it should especially in ranked gametypes but..If the Mouse delay issue is fixed for everyone, that may be a solution to the KB/M vs. Controller Debate and we could potentially see an actual competitive scene grow in Halo.
Halo needs a lot of help to even come close to CS:GO. CS:GO has a very functional multiplayer with an active community that plays ranked and outside matchmaking services as well for the more competitive player. Halo MCC on PC has 2 games one of which is Reach which isn't the most competitive game. On top of that there are plenty of bugs and issues plaguing the MCC which is driving players away and without the cross play the game is going to struggle but cross play probably won't come until Halo 4 is released at which point the player base will hop ship and move onto Infinite. I don't believe the MCC or Halo in its current state can beat CS. The fans are too divided on what they like. The only way for even a comparison to be drawn would be for events to happen in ranked not social and for people to feel like they will get something from being good at the game in ranked play. Just my two cents as the way to get a player base to come and do something is to make them feel like there is a reason to play competitively.
Halo will probably never be as big as counter strike because it simply isn't as popular around the world. My guess is 95% of the halo playerbase is in the us, canada, and the uk.
343 would need to fix the underlying issues with MCC before it can be considered competitively viable again.

There's also the fact that there's not much awareness about the competitive Halo scene. Take a look at games like Counter-Strike (since you used it for a comparison) and Dota 2, they do a number of things better than the Halo franchise has done.

For one, the games have the majors available in-game. It's almost free advertising. You can go to matches in CSGO and see the results of the professional teams and their matches. This helps to build more awareness even amongst the more casual players. For Halo's latest release, Halo 5, there's only REQ packs and skins related to HWC. There's next to nothing about the matches in-game, no way for me to check it out in-game, nothing about the teams or players in-game so why would a casual player care to look it up? They're not being exposed to it so they've got no incentive to look into it further, to get invested in it further.

I don't think MCC will ever get to a point where it will be able to be competitively viable, there's too much work to be done and the game doesn't even function right as a PC game so it's just not going to happen.

However, if Halo Infinite ticks all the right boxes for the Xbox community and has a great PC version to boot, then Halo would be halfway there. The final part is they need more HWC exposure in-game for people to be interested. A good game will die out if there is nothing to sustain it, that's where the community comes in and at the moment, Halo MCC is missing both the competitive, forge and modding community.

So to end, MCC is probably a no go for the competitive scene but for Halo Infinite:

1) Make it a competitively viable game (similar to H2/H3/H5)
2) Have exposure to the competitive scene in-game to build awareness and interest
3) Forge and mod support to keep fans of those modes invested. Forge maps that prove competitively popular could make it into the map rotation.
4) Work with the community on custom content (Perhaps Weapon skins and Armour designs can be designed by the community as well to engage them)

This would help the game maintain a large community and give Halo the biggest shot at becoming a massive game again but it all hinges on whether the game is successful and well received by fans on the Xbox, as well as actually being a functional, great quality PC version at launch.
  1. 1
  2. ...
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. ...
  6. 4