Forums / Games / Halo: The Master Chief Collection (PC)

Can we not have everything unlocked from the start

OP Rejected420

1. 1
  2. ...
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. ...
  6. 6
I want to start off by saying I don't own MCC because I don't have an Xbox one, but I love the halo series and I've played all the Halos on the Xbox 360 up to Reach. And I'm extremely excited for this game coming to PC, I've been waiting a very long time for this. But there's some serious problems I've noticed after watching videos about MCC. I cannot stand the way customization works in the game. First off we can't even mix and match the pieces, we have to choose from presets which is absolutely awful. I don't even have to play the game to know that only a few of the presets actually get used. And on top of that it's all unlocked from the start. Where's the reward in that? Now no one will ever look at you and go "Wooow dude, he has that set of gear what a legend" no it's just all handed to you. I love unlocking cool things like gear, it's extremely satisfying getting that piece of gear I've been working towards. Just keep all the ways to unlock each piece in MCC and don't just hand it to everyone. And as for unobtainables I'm not sure, maybe come up with something new? But that's just my two cents.
Agree 100% with this.
Unlocking different pieces and seeing how some players were wearing some of the more hard to get ones was part of the fun.
I absolutely agree!
Yeah no, no grinding should ever be involved in re releases. People have already done there "grinding" over a decade ago, they don't need to do it again in a game they've already played. I would rather just have the devs put in the effort in the first place to implement proper customization.

It makes me feel positively ancient but remember when you would log on to play a game every day because it was fun and not just to grind for a few hours to get the handful of cosmetic bobbles you actually want?
WerepyreND wrote:
Yeah no, no grinding should ever be involved in re releases. People have already done there "grinding" over a decade ago, they don't need to do it again in a game they've already played. I would rather just have the devs put in the effort in the first place to implement proper customization.

It makes me feel positively ancient but remember when you would log on to play a game every day because it was fun and not just to grind for a few hours to get the handful of cosmetic bobbles you actually want?
What if you automatically unlock what you've already unlocked in previous games and keep the progress for unlocking stuff you didn't yet unlock?
WerepyreND wrote:

Totally agree with that. Grinding in modern games has gone too far and risks alienating fanbases: give us compelling reasons and make it an enjoyable experience to come baxk: don't just make us grind for grind's sake.
Completely agree. Aside from experiencing the game again, I believe earning the unlockables and achievements to be a huge part of the draw. To make all that stuff accessible from the off would take a lot of the game away. That's also where a lot of the replayability comes in for me. It's great to have something to work towards.
WerepyreND wrote:

What if you automatically unlock what you've already unlocked in previous games and keep the progress for unlocking stuff you didn't yet unlock?
How about we just unlock everything from the start and just let people dress up their Spartans and Elites how they like? So they can get back to enjoying playing the actual game....
Halo 1 through 4 in MCC started out with everything unlocked, it stands to reason that Reach is very likely going to follow suit.
I agree with this 100%. They did say that for PC MCC that every game is going to be re-released, so they can understand what they should add based on community feedback. Since Reach is first, I do believe that the whole credits system was one of the main reasons i loved it to death. There was really nothing like grinding for days and finally getting that cosmetic you wanted. I hope 343 see this forum post and considering re-thinking the customization for all of these games.
stckrboy wrote:
Halo 1 through 4 in MCC started out with everything unlocked, it stands to reason that Reach is very likely going to follow suit.
Yes but that was on Xbox, they've had the games forever so I guess it sorta made sense. This is PC, with a ton of new people it's a whole new audience. A lot of PC exclusive gamers have never played the Halo games, so why not change it for PC? Just have us have to unlock everything on all the games. Seriously, games like WoW are dying because theres no more challenge in it, they just give epics and gear away for free. I'd hate to see Halo have the same problem. Unlocking things adds a whole new element of replayablity and challenge. I mean the whole point imo of cosmetics in the first place is to show off, but how can I do that if everyone has access to the exact same stuff?
WerepyreND wrote:

Well, you don't have to grind anything. It's all optional. But I think that it would add much to the longevity of the game. We don't know when Halo Infinite is coming out and we could be waiting quite a long while. It would be quite sad if the MCC is a massive success on PC, only to die out a year later. Having long term goals to strive towards can only be a good thing.
I may be in the minority, but I've never ever gone "wow look at what that player has earned based on his dressup, what a legend".

Unlocking armors is fun and all that, but I'd still prefer everything unlocked from the start.
Having emblems as unlockables was a low blow, and now just waiting for the inevitable colors being locked behind hours of grind just to pad the amount of cosmetics in the item pool. Better yet, separate armor and emblem colors.

Well, you don't have to grind anything. It's all optional. But I think that it would add much to the longevity of the game. We don't know when Halo Infinite is coming out and we could be waiting quite a long while. It would be quite sad if the MCC is a massive success on PC, only to die out a year later. Having long term goals to strive towards can only be a good thing.
It is quite sad when a game needs unlockables for longevity, and can't rely on its gameplay for that.
Naqser wrote:
I may be in the minority, but I've never ever gone "wow look at what that player has earned based on his dressup, what a legend".

Unlocking armors is fun and all that, but I'd still prefer everything unlocked from the start.
Having emblems as unlockables was a low blow, and now just waiting for the inevitable colors being locked behind hours of grind just to pad the amount of cosmetics in the item pool. Better yet, separate armor and emblem colors.

It is quite sad when a game needs unlockables for longevity, and can't rely on its gameplay for that.
Is it too much to ask for both?

I don't agree with you that it's sad to need something such as unlockables to strive towards. Don't you have goals in real life? I do, and I bet that everyone else here does too. Even if it's as minor as getting better at a video game or unlocking the next set of armor.

Also, don't tell me that you have never grown tired of playing Halo, or any other game for that matter. Gameplay only gets you so far, having a long term goal will keep people playing a while longer.
RyKnight wrote:
I agree with this 100%. They did say that for PC MCC that every game is going to be re-released, so they can understand what they should add based on community feedback. Since Reach is first, I do believe that the whole credits system was one of the main reasons i loved it to death. There was really nothing like grinding for days and finally getting that cosmetic you wanted. I hope 343 see this forum post and considering re-thinking the customization for all of these games.
The credit system is one of the reasons Reach had such a long life. Really hope they dont give us everything on release :(
Naqser wrote:

I don't agree with you that it's sad to need something such as unlockables to strive towards. Don't you have goals in real life? I do, and I bet that everyone else here does too. Even if it's as minor as getting better at a video game or unlocking the next set of armor.

Also, don't tell me that you have never grown tired of playing Halo, or any other game for that matter. Gameplay only gets you so far, having a long term goal will keep people playing a while longer.
Go ahead and ask for both, I'd rather see a good amount of the resources focused on padding the item pool, used elsewhere to increase the quality of the game.

I suggest you read what I wrote again, because what you're answering isn't something I ever said.

No amount of unlockables, prestiges and what not will keep me from getting burnt out on games, or get gaming fatigue, after playing them for a period of time.
Naqser wrote:
Naqser wrote:

Go ahead and ask for both, I'd rather see a good amount of the resources focused on padding the item pool, used elsewhere to increase the quality of the game.

I suggest you read what I wrote again, because what you're answering isn't something I ever said.

No amount of unlockables, prestiges and what not will keep me from getting burnt out on games, or get gaming fatigue, after playing them for a period of time.
1. Alright that's cool, everyone is free to have an opinion.

2. I beg your pardon good sir, but I was merely correcting your statement about what I wrote earlier. My argument was largely about how unlockables could add to the longevity of the game, because of the potential of long term goals. Nothing about how the gameplay is not good enough for its longevity. Let me rephrase what I wrote for you; I don't know if the MCC is going to die out on PC a year after it's released. But if it did, would it not have been better to have gone the extra mile, and offered the players something to work towards that will keep them interested well over a year?

3. Perhaps that's because you don't see them as goals like I do, which is of course perfectly fine. But when I see unlockables I see a challenge to overcome. Especially the ones that requires achievements to be unlocked. And after I have completed that challenge I move on to the next challenge and so on. That way the game stays fresh for longer and there is always something to do. It's nothing about bragging rights or anything like that, but rather about the personal fulfillment of completing a challenge and you earned the "right" to wear that armor piece to show to your friends. I could care less about what some random player think about me or the virtual items that I'm wearing.
I think since its comming to pc and pretty fresh for most of the players that never played Halo 3 and up since Halo 2 on Pc. I think many will have the joy of unlocking stuff like the Xbox 360/Xbox one player did during their days. Cuz it was very fun to hunt achievements that unlocked an armor pice.

Back in the Halo 3 days i remember that there was great achievement on earning the recon armor that the fans has been begging to get, cuz you felt special and had accomplished something very hard to do. It was great seeing players flash their armor look to other players, making them feel a bit jelly.

There are a great many people like me, unlocking stuff is like a fuel to play the game. When MCC came first out on Xbox one, i was so excited to do everything again, from unlocking stuff to beating all the games on legendary. But i was so dissapointed that everything was unlocked and that quickly made me just stop playing it, cuz it was nothing to do. I rarely touced the game.

Its just like so many other games. you would not play much of a game there everything is unlocked and there is no progression and so on. And for those people to will comment that im wrong and all that, If the game comes out with everything unlocked and the game dies very quickly, i will come back to this topic and ask what you said again and tell you that i was right you where wrong.

So many of my online friends stopped playing MCC cuz there was not really much to do, they felt MCC was just 1/4 of the joy and quickly stopped playing it.
so i would recommend 343i giving the pc player able to unlocking stuff, cuz its kinda a new game for many and would be a pitty if everyhting was unlocked.
Yes but that was on Xbox, they've had the games forever so I guess it sorta made sense. This is PC, with a ton of new people it's a whole new audience. A lot of PC exclusive gamers have never played the Halo games, so why not change it for PC?
It's doesn't make sense to do it differently on PC rather than Xbox
WerepyreND wrote:

Its all "optional" right up until you find out your preferred bit of cosmetics is a higher level unlock for some arbitrary reason. If the treadmill is the only thing people keeping people playing than Halo was never going to be popular on PC to begin with.

If you want a new release to waste your time just so you can dress up your character how you like be my guest. But that has exactly zero business being in a re release of any kind. If Campaign, scoring, Firefight, MM, Custom games, theater, Forge, skulls/terminals/data pads, and you know, the core gameplay is not enough to keep people playing I don't know what to tell you.

I have no idea why one would need "long term goals" for a bit of entertainment beyond being entertained. I don't need a "goal" to read a book or watch a movie, I just want to be entertained not just salivate at the sound of the unlock bell.... We don't need skinner boxes getting in the way of enjoying actual content from a game where many of the purchasers have already dealt with that junk once before.
  1. 1
  2. ...
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. ...
  6. 6