Forums / Games / Halo: The Master Chief Collection (PC)

Can we not have everything unlocked from the start

OP Rejected420

1. 1
  2. ...
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. 4
  6. 5
  7. ...
  8. 6
stckrboy wrote:
Yes but that was on Xbox, they've had the games forever so I guess it sorta made sense. This is PC, with a ton of new people it's a whole new audience. A lot of PC exclusive gamers have never played the Halo games, so why not change it for PC?
It's doesn't make sense to do it differently on PC rather than Xbox
In some manner it actually does. Think about it. The biggest argument I hear about why unlockables would be a bad thing for the MCC on xbox, is that people don't want to unlock everything again. Well, that's not an issue for the PC community since they have not had a proper Halo game since Halo 2. Why not let this new market experience Halo the way it is supposed to be experienced. Why limit the experience?

I would still prefer to have unlockables in the MCC on both PC and Xbox however.
I want to start off by saying I don't own MCC because I don't have an Xbox one, but I love the halo series and I've played all the Halos on the Xbox 360 up to Reach. And I'm extremely excited for this game coming to PC, I've been waiting a very long time for this. But there's some serious problems I've noticed after watching videos about MCC. I cannot stand the way customization works in the game. First off we can't even mix and match the pieces, we have to choose from presets which is absolutely awful. I don't even have to play the game to know that only a few of the presets actually get used. And on top of that it's all unlocked from the start. Where's the reward in that? Now no one will ever look at you and go "Wooow dude, he has that set of gear what a legend" no it's just all handed to you. I love unlocking cool things like gear, it's extremely satisfying getting that piece of gear I've been working towards. Just keep all the ways to unlock each piece in MCC and don't just hand it to everyone. And as for unobtainables I'm not sure, maybe come up with something new? But that's just my two cents.
Totally agree but I have faith that 343 won't do the same thing with Reach.
This is it! Although it might just be a huge undertaking...
The grind is important to the nostalgia of the game and experience.
stckrboy wrote:
Yes but that was on Xbox, they've had the games forever so I guess it sorta made sense. This is PC, with a ton of new people it's a whole new audience. A lot of PC exclusive gamers have never played the Halo games, so why not change it for PC?
Especially given kiki's statements yesterday that they've not ruled out it being a PlayAnywhere title. It may not be possible for technical reasons, but if they're even half-thinking of that it would make no sense to take a divergent path this early.
I would like that too but you gotta understand that they would have to work on a whole new level up and progression system. They could add a progression system for halo reach when it comes out. You have to also understand that some may not agree with this and make be angry at 343 for changing a system of 6 years. Just to many factors probably high money cost and possibly to risky.
If everything is unlocked from the start I won't be playing nearly as long. Having something to grind for gives meaning. I was most excited to start over at recruit work my way back up through ranks, and rebuy all my armour.
Well, just make the Reach armor as a preset for all the games - problem solved ;)
stckrboy wrote:
I totally agree. I wish there would have been no changes whatsoever to the games in MCC (in regards to customization, or lack thereof). What would be amazing if they brought back the customization for each game as it was.
Yea, Having everything unlocked from the start reduces all drive to unlock the cool pieces of armor. When you saw someone with the skull helmet in halo reach you knew that they had a large amount of playtime in the game and should not mess around with them. It instilled fear in you, and if you were the one wearing it you would feel confident and proud to be showing off and flaunting your accomplishment, This is all gone if they just give the armor pieces to everyone.
Has anyone here played Killing Floor 1? For many that game is just a massive grindfest, but I just kept having fun, learned new tricks and eventually after 500~ hours I managed to get all my perks to level 6 (maximum level). Before the whitelist removal back in 2012, people were just dropping me money when they saw my golden rank icon running to the store. While the golden icon didn't say anything about the skill itself, it was a good indicator that the player was extremely experienced and has played the game quite a bit. Usually a squad of level 6 players meant that this squad was not going to die anytime soon, if ever.

Then Tripwire removed the whitelist. Whitelist was essentially a list of custom maps where you got experience points - maps had to be pretty clean and not abusable to just grind exp. Removing the whitelist opened the massive floodgates. Players loaded up some farming maps where they just shot standing enemies for a moment and boom, they are all level 6 now. Go to the public now and you see level 6 players holding wrong weapons with their perks, dying to the most basic enemies on first waves and not having a single idea where to go. Essentially this means that level 6 didn't mean anything anymore and it was absolutely destroyed.

Why am I talking about Killing Floor in Halo related forum? Because personally I have never played Reach (only the main trilogy and ODST) and it would be a massive bummer if I won't get to enjoy the game the way Bungie designed it with their progression system that people apparently really loved. I keep hearing "Reach had the best progression system" but how am I supposed to experience that if everything is unlocked just like that?

Let me challenge myself. Let me achieve things the way they are supposed to be achieved and let me showcase everyone that I am an extremely dedicated player. If all players have everything instantly, it wouldn't be the same.
<insert Steve Carell 'No God' meme here>
Maybe if they went back and introduced unlocking armor in the older games too, then it wouldn't be as strange. I imagine if they do add unlocking armor back (PLEASE) they'd want it under a unified ranking system rather than have 3 different systems (Halo 3, Halo Reach, Halo 4). I just want something to work towards again. I feel like I'm just wasting my time playing MCC when there's nothing substantial to unlock other than "nameplates". Same thing with having all the campaign levels unlocked by default. Just have the first level of every campaign unlocked and leave the rest locked. But that's a little off topic haha
I don't see the point in having all my work already done for me. Halo: Reach on Halo: The Master Chief Collection will be a new game. I want something new to work towards to keep me coming back to the game.
I think it depends on the person.
Some people will feel inclined to play for the grind, to unlock things, and then complain theres nothing to do afterwards, but without anything to unlock, would otherwise enjoy the game.

Others will play for the fun, and feel a sense of reward from unlockables.
Posted on the AMA on Reddit: "First, we're happy to say that Halo: Reach in MCC will in fact have the same level of "mix and match" customization found in the original games (all the individual armor pieces, etc..). As to how it's earned, we are exploring a new and deeper progression system that retains the feel of the old systems and blends them with newer models for game progression (all based on in-game play, no type of monetization or anything of that nature)" I'm interested and a bit skeptical on the new unlock system, but hey at least it's confirmed it won't just be given out! Hopefully we'll have to unlock the gear in ALL the games and not just Reach.
Posted on the AMA on Reddit: "First, we're happy to say that Halo: Reach in MCC will in fact have the same level of "mix and match" customization found in the original games (all the individual armor pieces, etc..). As to how it's earned, we are exploring a new and deeper progression system that retains the feel of the old systems and blends them with newer models for game progression (all based on in-game play, no type of monetization or anything of that nature)" I'm interested and a bit skeptical on the new unlock system, but hey at least it's confirmed it won't just be given out! Hopefully we'll have to unlock the gear in ALL the games and not just Reach.
This is great news the games lifespan will benefit greatly from this. I hope the new system is well designed though.
agree i want to grind for the stuff i want as whell i m going to grind for the skull helmet first (eva type C helmet)
then i will see what i will grind for
grinding for something make's you proud of your goal
WerepyreND wrote:
WerepyreND wrote:
Yeah no, no grinding should ever be involved in re releases. People have already done there "grinding" over a decade ago, they don't need to do it again in a game they've already played. I would rather just have the devs put in the effort in the first place to implement proper customization.

It makes me feel positively ancient but remember when you would log on to play a game every day because it was fun and not just to grind for a few hours to get the handful of cosmetic bobbles you actually want?
What if you automatically unlock what you've already unlocked in previous games and keep the progress for unlocking stuff you didn't yet unlock?
How about we just unlock everything from the start and just let people dress up their Spartans and Elites how they like? So they can get back to enjoying playing the actual game....
Apologies for the delayed response.
I found unlocking armor pieces in Halo to be half the fun. Not only was unlocking them fun, but was also like wearing an achievement and to an extent, could play a minor part in some mind games. By mind games, I mean if someone was wearing like that Skull helmet in Halo Reach, that player will most likely be carrying and or be a huge issue you should not ignore, or maybe that player just played so much that they finally unlocked it, but the skill isn't quite there.
If everything is handed to you right off the bat or handled like in Halo 5, then the armor pieces completely lose their value, IMO.
While unlocking armor was fun in h3 and reach, all I want is my good old security armor.
  1. 1
  2. ...
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. 4
  6. 5
  7. ...
  8. 6