Skip to main content
  1. 1
  2. ...
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. ...
  6. 7
Coming back after being gone for a while from the forums and from looking at things it seems 343 has done little to change Aim Assist on controllers still.
Looks like they just want the issue to be forgotten since they instated a mandatory 'cool down' period talking about it a while back.

I for one have not forgotten and I play with a controller... The one thing that bothers me is not necessarily that its in the game but it is FORCED on controller users to always have it. I do not want or need this feature as i am great with near max sensitivity and no handicaps on games like BF4 on PC. The only freedom i get on here is a skull on halo 1 and 2 that actually disables it all on single player with the skull on which is VERY ENJOYABLE to me to say the least. Why cant i have more freedom and control like this in multiplayer and the other halo games?????

Just reading the skulls description is pretty insulting as well, 'you will miss it when its gone'... No i dont miss it 343 im actually extremely happy this skull exists in at least 2 of the games. So why cant we have an on/off for SP AND MP on ALL the Halo games????? Wouldnt that be fair?? Is it truly that hard to meet in the middle on this issue?
Why cant controller/mouse players that do not want to play with people using Aim Assist filter them out of there MP games? What is unfair about that??? What is unfair is keeping me handicapped when i know i dont need it and cant stand it jerking me around with high sensitivity.
This post has been edited by a moderator. Please refrain from making non-constructive posts. Do not post spam.
*Original post. Click at your own discretion.
Spoiler:
Show
so just play on keyboard and mouse then.
There's something wack about using a controller again. I'm way more fluid with keyboard and mouse.
Booooooooooooooooo hoooooooooooooooooooooo
I mean your Xbox is always there. Why not play on that?
This post has been edited by a moderator. Please refrain from making non-constructive posts.
*Original post. Click at your own discretion.
Spoiler:
Show
It truly is amazing that it seems that half the community resorts too attacking my play style and the way i want to play rather then find common ground to solve an issue.
Im happy for the ones that love using a mouse/keyboard playing halo with no annoying Aim Assist ruining it for you. All i ask as a controller user on Halo PC that i too have the freedom from Aim Assist so i can freely aim and control myself with my own skill. I believe that to be competitively fair and how it should be in MP as well SP but you will always have Mouse/kb elitists that cant help themselves but preach that mouse is amazing get gud non sense.

Can we all please have a real discussion about this so i can enjoy the way i want to play and i beleive it is more fair in MP that everyone uses there real skill then rely on Aim Assist.
If no one has an issue with it in Destiny or Cod with controller aim assist. Then why is Halo so different? You have to think about why in the first place people feel so oppressed by the playstyle to begin with. There are many underlying factors that sum up the whole aim assist to become overall over-tuned. Specifically, the number one biggest reason to why. Is that Halo plays much different from other twitch arena shooters. Meaning you have to hold and keep a numbered, consistent, stringed shots again and again. For the fastest and most ideal gunfight scenario. Most encounters often play like a 1v1 duel, where you have your primary precision weapon, melee, and two frags. To help with this. The aim assist is specifically sticky to help center the crosshairs onto the opponent. Now this is the area I think needs the most reworks. Since sometimes, you can win gunfights straight up if you're hardly touching your joystick. Ever play Mnk for a few good games then go back to controller? You can FEEL that difference on how much that stickiness helps glue the crosshair on your targets for you. Mnk players may dominate with snipers and snapping. But will struggle against an inherent feature advantage that they don't have access to in their input. Secondly, keep in mind this aim assist feature was designed in mind to play on 4 players splitscreen with 15 fps and 360p TV's. It may have worked really well then considering the limitations. But is now an artificial solution, to a problem that no longer exists. With that system translating into an entirely new environment of over 60 fps and 4K Resolution. The strength of the aim assist will become obnoxiously apparent. People didn't drop this game over this issue for no reason. It's an issue, I'll say it again. It's an issue. People that hook up their controllers may not think so. People who aren't really invested into Halo's competitive future may not think so. Recent events have been making it clear that 343 are lenient and don't see this as an issue. They may include Input based matchmaking, though there's no telling whether that's a clear fix, or a band aid press and forget. But I'll tell you now, these discussions aren't going anywhere even if they became locked. People have been feeling burned, and will continue feeling burned from this stagnating problem likely for the entire game's life span until they get what they want. A properly tuned aim assist.
It truly is amazing that it seems that half the community resorts too attacking my play style and the way i want to play rather then find common ground to solve an issue.
Im happy for the ones that love using a mouse/keyboard playing halo with no annoying Aim Assist ruining it for you. All i ask as a controller user on Halo PC that i too have the freedom from Aim Assist so i can freely aim and control myself with my own skill. I believe that to be competitively fair and how it should be in MP as well SP but you will always have Mouse/kb elitists that cant help themselves but preach that mouse is amazing get gud none sense.

Can we all please have a real discussion about this so i can enjoy the way i want to play and i beleive it is more fair in MP that everyone uses there real skill then rely on Aim Assist.
So you cant have fun with a game because people are playing the game how it was originally meant to be played which are having fun?
Im happy for the ones that love using a mouse/keyboard playing halo with no annoying Aim Assist ruining it for you. All i ask as a controller user on Halo PC that i too have the freedom from Aim Assist so i can freely aim and control myself with my own skill. I believe that to be competitively fair and how it should be in MP as well SP but you will always have Mouse/kb elitists that cant help themselves but preach that mouse is amazing get gud none sense.

So you cant have fun with a game because people are playing the game how it was originally meant to be played which are having fun?
Okay, how about this. What is wrong with meeting in the middle and adding the OPTION of an on/off switch for the handicap feature that is Aim Assist? Wouldn't that make both parties happy?? What is wrong with adding the OPTION in Multiplayer the ability to be matched with people that use AA and people who use there real aim?? How would that negatively affect a person that just wants the game as it was 'originally made'?

From my experience, adding in input based matchmaking is the WRONG way to go as the mouse and controller compete just fine together as i am PROOF of that.
The whole point of this is to give people the option and the freedom to CHOOSE how they play.

We have tried to find a common ground. No one has bothered to implement it. The community has demanded time and time again for fixes to controller and if they do come, they either come to late or are still an issue today. The issue now that the game is on pc is the fact that controllers have inherent aim assist as you have mentioned, to which mouse and keyboard does not have. The latter of the two actually does require skill to make critical hits. Controller requires getting in the general vicinity and let the game do the work.
It is, no matter how much you may hate it, a cheat mechanism and abuse of an internal mechanic that most of the players on this platform lack, giving an unfair advantage to a smaller part pf the community.
Which is why pc bashes controller so hard here, because it is not subtle at all.
We have options, we want options, 343 does not want/has not implemented those options.
I'm sorry, but I can't have fun when it's apparent that someone else is blatantly cheating and it's all thanks to the games easy to abuse mechanic.
I don't see why'd it be so controversial to allow controller users to play without their aim being meddled with. If you're good that way, you deserve to be able to play that way, no question about it.

A certain game series (probably known best for its Conquest and Rush game modes) might have spoiled me a bit, and probably some others too. It let you turn off different components of aim assist (sticky aim and aim correction both or separately), which was pretty sweet if you ask me.
DUDE7871 wrote:

We have tried to find a common ground. No one has bothered to implement it. The community has demanded time and time again for fixes to controller and if they do come, they either come to late or are still an issue today. The issue now that the game is on pc is the fact that controllers have inherent aim assist as you have mentioned, to which mouse and keyboard does not have. The latter of the two actually does require skill to make critical hits. Controller requires getting in the general vicinity and let the game do the work.
It is, no matter how much you may hate it, a cheat mechanism and abuse of an internal mechanic that most of the players on this platform lack, giving an unfair advantage to a smaller part pf the community.
Which is why pc bashes controller so hard here, because it is not subtle at all.
We have options, we want options, 343 does not want/has not implemented those options.
I'm sorry, but I can't have fun when it's apparent that someone else is blatantly cheating and it's all thanks to the games easy to abuse mechanic.
People conflate being bad with the accusation that the other player is using controller and therefore cheating.

My MKB friend plays CS and has an ungodly amount of hours. People accused him of being a controller player in Team Snipers when he was using MKB lmfao. So basically, git gud.
DUDE7871 wrote:

People conflate being bad with the accusation that the other player is using controller and therefore cheating.

My MKB friend plays CS and has an ungodly amount of hours. People accused him of being a controller player in Team Snipers when he was using MKB lmfao. So basically, git gud.
An anecdote of doing well in a public server doesn't mean much. I see these all around the forum. When I played CE with MKB, I would occasionally go 50-0 or 60-0 against people who had no idea what they were doing.

There would be more games where I would not die once if it weren't for controller aim assist.

Controller still has an advantage in competitive 4v4 and 2v2 settings, which is all I care about frankly. Team Snipers is not competitive.
DUDE7871 wrote:

I really appreciate your intelligent response, it truly is in the hands of the developers to make the change. I feel though, that most developers do not have enough courage to make the change as AA has been around for a long time. Even though with modern controllers it is not necessary anymore to have AA compared to the days of trying to aim with an N64 controller... I believe if given the choice, the vast majority in competitive players would all agree everyone should aim with there own skill whether it be with a controller or mouse/keyboard.
DUDE7871 wrote:

I really appreciate your intelligent response, it truly is in the hands of the developers to make the change. I feel though, that most developers do not have enough courage to make the change as AA has been around for a long time. Even though with modern controllers it is not necessary anymore to have AA compared to the days of trying to aim with an N64 controller... I believe if given the choice, the vast majority in competitive players would all agree everyone should aim with there own skill whether it be with a controller or mouse/keyboard.
I get that AA has been around forever and there is a definitive difference between having the ability to use my entire wrist verses using the tip of my thumb. If you prefer one option over the other than okay, fine by me. But there needs to be some semblance of balance somewhere. Because there are times that I have been on the receiving end of controller players in not only Halo, but other games as well where they are clearly dominating the party. Kills well past average and even past someone like me that usually lands top 3, taking shots that many would not or the shots are to precise at longer distances. In the games that do allow kill cams, it is so shady, especially when the kill was committed with a close combat weapon like an smg.

In terms of halo, AA had been set to high and the mouse and keyboard community -including myself- were outraged and many still are. It made many modes -and I would argue still does- unplayable. Swat and snipers as examples. It's killing the game and splitting the community. CODMW seems to have it right. we should have the option to play soley with one of the two options, controller with controller, mouse and key with mouse and key, lastly controller and mouse and key. I think that is a perfect option.

Okay, how about this. What is wrong with meeting in the middle and adding the OPTION of an on/off switch for the handicap feature that is Aim Assist? Wouldn't that make both parties happy?? What is wrong with adding the OPTION in Multiplayer the ability to be matched with people that use AA and people who use there real aim?? How would that negatively affect a person that just wants the game as it was 'originally made'?

From my experience, adding in input based matchmaking is the WRONG way to go as the mouse and controller compete just fine together as i am PROOF of that.
The whole point of this is to give people the option and the freedom to CHOOSE how they play.
Because nobody with a controller will turn that -Yoink- off unless they're a tryhard like you.

Because nobody with a controller will turn that -Yoink- off unless they're a tryhard like you.
I wouldnt say that, there is also a persons pride and the sense of accomplishment when you make kills with your own true skill. You dont have to be a try hard to want that and I think there is a lot of people out there that desire that.
Miles3298 wrote:
I don't see why'd it be so controversial to allow controller users to play without their aim being meddled with. If you're good that way, you deserve to be able to play that way, no question about it.

A certain game series (probably known best for its Conquest and Rush game modes) might have spoiled me a bit, and probably some others too. It let you turn off different components of aim assist (sticky aim and aim correction both or separately), which was pretty sweet if you ask me.
My point exactly, why is it so hard for developers to get rid of a feature that is out dated and no longer needed.
If no one has an issue with it in Destiny or Cod with controller aim assist. Then why is Halo so different? You have to think about why in the first place people feel so oppressed by the playstyle to begin with. There are many underlying factors that sum up the whole aim assist to become overall over-tuned. Specifically, the number one biggest reason to why. Is that Halo plays much different from other twitch arena shooters. Meaning you have to hold and keep a numbered, consistent, stringed shots again and again. For the fastest and most ideal gunfight scenario. Most encounters often play like a 1v1 duel, where you have your primary precision weapon, melee, and two frags. To help with this. The aim assist is specifically sticky to help center the crosshairs onto the opponent. Now this is the area I think needs the most reworks. Since sometimes, you can win gunfights straight up if you're hardly touching your joystick. Ever play Mnk for a few good games then go back to controller? You can FEEL that difference on how much that stickiness helps glue the crosshair on your targets for you. Mnk players may dominate with snipers and snapping. But will struggle against an inherent feature advantage that they don't have access to in their input. Secondly, keep in mind this aim assist feature was designed in mind to play on 4 players splitscreen with 15 fps and 360p TV's. It may have worked really well then considering the limitations. But is now an artificial solution, to a problem that no longer exists. With that system translating into an entirely new environment of over 60 fps and 4K Resolution. The strength of the aim assist will become obnoxiously apparent. People didn't drop this game over this issue for no reason. It's an issue, I'll say it again. It's an issue. People that hook up their controllers may not think so. People who aren't really invested into Halo's competitive future may not think so. Recent events have been making it clear that 343 are lenient and don't see this as an issue. They may include Input based matchmaking, though there's no telling whether that's a clear fix, or a band aid press and forget. But I'll tell you now, these discussions aren't going anywhere even if they became locked. People have been feeling burned, and will continue feeling burned from this stagnating problem likely for the entire game's life span until they get what they want. A properly tuned aim assist.
To think no one has an issue with this is about as moronic as it gets, maybe use your eyes. Sorry mods, but the truths a real cruel bintch. This we all know.
  1. 1
  2. ...
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. ...
  6. 7