Skip to main content

Forums / Games / Halo: The Master Chief Collection (PC)

Could we get spartan ops season 2 from MCC?

OP Spoonsor

I remember when Halo 4 was being marketed, 343 was saying that the spartan ops story had been mapped out several seasons. Given the reduced development time for each mission since the reuses so many assets, could we see spartan ops season 2 after halo 4 is launched? It seems to me that 343 and Microsoft want to support the MCC long term for Game Pass, and a basic campaign could pretty easily be made with any assets 343 had from the development of halo 4.
I severely doubt that will even happen, 343 have had years to work on such a thing for the original. I really want Spartan Ops Matchmaking to return as that was in the original on the 360 version.
I severely doubt that will even happen, 343 have had years to work on such a thing for the original. I really want Spartan Ops Matchmaking to return as that was in the original on the 360 version.
What makes you doubt it? We are already seeing previously forgotten unfinished content being released next season. Wouldn't it be easy to record a couple of voice lines, drop some enemies in one of the campaign levels they reused (multiplayer maps could work too) and then have a few hours of content produced for relatively few resources. Sounds like a slam dunk for 343 to me.
Spoonsor wrote:
What makes you doubt it? We are already seeing previously forgotten unfinished content being released next season. Wouldn't it be easy to record a couple of voice lines, drop some enemies in one of the campaign levels they reused (multiplayer maps could work too) and then have a few hours of content produced for relatively few resources. Sounds like a slam dunk for 343 to me.
Voice recording is perhaps some of the most expensive work for a video game (depending on who the actors are). They probably could cobble together some maps no problem, but adding a storyline and voice over isn’t cheap. Besides Spartan Ops was the absolute worst, I would rather see a FF mode for H4 then another season of SpOps.
Spoonsor wrote:
Yeah, just shell out to get all of the cast back, syphon some devs from other facets of the project (like bug fixes), contact Axis Studios to make new cinematics, etc; all in what reads like an otherwise lazily presented rehash of existing content, for a game that came out 8 years ago, in a mode the player-base didn't care enough about for it to be continued in the first place, whose entire narrative direction has since been concluded, altered or nullified by Halo 5's Campaign and expanded material.

They'd be much better spending the resources on extensive mod tools and implementing actual near-finished cut content (Silenced SMG from H2:V, Blast and Concrete weapon skins, the H4 'Revenant', hopefully the Halo Online exclusive maps, etc.) since they fall within the range of things that people actually care about and are technically feasible.