Forums / Games / Halo: The Master Chief Collection (PC)

Dedicated servers, or peer2peer for forge/campaign

OP RIFT Hysteria

I don’t know if there is anything on this yet, been looking for a while.

Are we we going to get to experience a full dedicated server system that allows for optimal gaming of the campaign and forge? Or are we going to get stuck with the sub-optimal peer2peer system that always disconnected people and ruined the halo experience?
Q. Will there be dedicated servers for Reach?
Quote:
A. Our goal is to continue using dedicated servers to power the matchmaking experiences within MCC. More details to come.
This was from the AMA a couple of months back.
Quote:
A. Our goal is to continue using dedicated servers to power the matchmaking experiences within MCC. More details to come.
My question was for forge and campaign
Quote:
Sorry, I rushed into answering your question.

I haven't found anything that suggests they will get dedicated servers as of yet. I will keep looking though.
Quote:
Sorry, I rushed into answering your question.

I haven't found anything that suggests they will get dedicated servers as of yet. I will keep looking though.
I don’t think we will find out till the flighting starts.
I'm pretty sure that they said they were sticking with Dedicated
From what I have seen, they are using dedicated but will have P2P as a fallback if there are issues.
From what I have seen, they are using dedicated but will have P2P as a fallback if there are issues.
I hope that is the case, that sounds like a great system.
Peer to peer is really only good when the person hosting has good internet and the connection to the host is optimal. Warframe has peer to peer and most of the time it works fine since you can indicate in the settings what ping you want to use as well as what the region is. Most of the time, I don't have any problems but when the host has poor internet, then it becomes problematic. Doors don't open, enemies teleport everywhere, and host migration would fail because the original host had terrible internet.

Peer to peer could make sense if you want to host a private game with friends. However, dedicated servers should be used for random queues and matches. Perhaps having the option for both would be for the best.

In CSGO, you can play online casual or competitive or host an offline game instead by directly inviting friends to play with you. By offline, in this case, they connect to you but you become the temporary server and it doesn't go through Valve's official servers. Technology is there, but its up to 343 to implement it.