Forums / Games / Halo: The Master Chief Collection (PC)

DMR starts are necessary for longevity

OP Love the Trump

1. 1
  2. ...
  3. 2
  4. ...
  5. 3
ESPECIALLY in casual modes. On the 360 Reach, DMR starts were voted on 90% of the time. People think they are bad but have not yet experienced trying to fight power weapons with magnums. 343 please do not listen to only the new players who don't understand Reach's balance. This game IS the DMR. The complainers are just a vocal minority. The vast majority want DMR starts so the game remains balanced and fun. No one wants to run around in AR-melee fests or be spawn killed by DMRs and snipers because you lost the first fight of the game.
You act as if you cannot go into the world and easily find a DMR or other weapons. I have actually stopped playing because DMR starts have ruined BTB.

Stop acting as if you are the majority or speak for it. If you go to the other thread, most don't agree with you in the other threads on this very subject
ESPECIALLY in casual modes. On the 360 Reach, DMR starts were voted on 90% of the time. People think they are bad but have not yet experienced trying to fight power weapons with magnums. 343 please do not listen to only the new players who don't understand Reach's balance. This game IS the DMR. The complainers are just a vocal minority. The vast majority want DMR starts so the game remains balanced and fun. No one wants to run around in AR-melee fests or be spawn killed by DMRs and snipers because you lost the first fight of the game.
Difference is, the guy with the sniper is wasting valuable resources on you (limited shots per respawn of the weapon), same goes for the DMR, to a lesser extent; If you're not sure you'll get the kill, you'll think twice about unloading your DMR into a target that might get into cover again. But, if you and 7 other players have the DMR, and your enemies have the DMR, well, the map just turned into one huge DMR ammo resupply depot. There's no risk into emptying an entire magazine into a player, or a vehicle for that matter.
The reason why weapons are considered power weapons is because they are both powerful and rare, and in the hands of a trigger happy player, relatively ineffective (think people using rocket launchers to kill single low-priority targets).
Heck I'm sure most can relate that, if you have the chance of killing someone with down shields, with your DMR, you don't swap to your sniper rn and waste a shot on them do you?
The point of a Power Weapon is that its a 1 hit kill with a pinch of skill, or in the case of rockets, no skill at all.

DMR starts are fun and I enjoy them, but as a competitive-oriented Halo player, I dont go into Social playlists to have DMR fights. Its way more fun when you're shooting and getting shot at by random weapons, too.

Comp should be DMR starts, Social should be AR/Magnum
Been a Halo player since classic CE. And with halo 2, 3 and Reach. I MUCH prefer SOCIAL games mostly AR/SMG starts. DMR breaks BTB in half..
You act as if you cannot go into the world and easily find a DMR or other weapons. I have actually stopped playing because DMR starts have ruined BTB.

Stop acting as if you are the majority or speak for it. If you go to the other thread, most don't agree with you in the other threads on this very subject
You can and that is the problem. The team that loses the first fight will spawn with magnums and get killed by uncounterable precision weapons and vehicles in BTB. This is a problem in Halo 3 BTB when you play against a team that knows what they are doing. DMR starts is the best way to balance power weapons and preventing spawn killing.
DMR starts allow for way to much camping and shut down of vehicle play in casual. The point of casual is for it to be crazy hilarious fun while showing off all the aspects of Halo that makes it enjoyable. Having a huge portion of the game be completely eliminated(vehicles) because everyone starts with a tier 2 map pickup weapon ruins many casual modes. BTB has turned into a spawn camp fest, and many other maps with long sight lines are a game of whack a mole because no one wants to be the first idiot to run out into the open and risk getting pinged by 4 people with tier 2 weapons. The DMR is a great weapon as a map pickup, and it should stay as a map pickup because it allows for counter play. As it stands right now they only counter play to DMR is to hide out and hope you aren't the one that falls into the sights of the enemy. Halo has always centered around AR, Melee, and Grenades with map weapon control being a key aspect of the multiplayer. Giving everyone a tier 2 weapon kills map rotations and control since I can sit in my little corner and ping someone all the way across the map.

You can and that is the problem. The team that loses the first fight will spawn with magnums and get killed by uncounterable precision weapons and vehicles in BTB. This is a problem in Halo 3 BTB when you play against a team that knows what they are doing. DMR starts is the best way to balance power weapons and preventing spawn killing.
That's called getting outplayed which happens in Arena shooters, and I hate the argument that oh woe is me they have DMR's so now we can't do anything ever. That's a load of crap, if someone has a power weapon and you don't it doesn't make them invincible. You just have to learn how to outsmart or use teamplay to gain back the advantage.
Quote:
If one team has the power weapons they will be at an advantage
Welcome to arena shooters
I don't mind DMR starts, just make AR starts appear more often.
Getting into an AR start match is like getting a 5* in a gacha game so far.
Hamel wrote:
The point of a Power Weapon is that its a 1 hit kill with a pinch of skill, or in the case of rockets, no skill at all.

DMR starts are fun and I enjoy them, but as a competitive-oriented Halo player, I dont go into Social playlists to have DMR fights. Its way more fun when you're shooting and getting shot at by random weapons, too.

Comp should be DMR starts, Social should be AR/Magnum
I really like the idea of Social having AR starts and comp having DMR starts. It's just not fun with there basically only being one weapon in the game. The DMR is too strong and consistent to make it worth dropping for any non power weapon.
New players? These complaints have been coming from longterm people who have been around since Combat Evolved.

Given how power it is, having DMR starts almost completely eliminates the need for and makes all other weapons on a map redundant. Hell, in a lot of cases even a skilled player cannot use a sniper rifle without being killed from across the map by one of those. At this point it should be considered a power-weapon. That thing even tears through vehicles quite effortlessly and honestly ruins Big Team Battle. There's a number of methods for balancing a map, and if you still get spawn killed, that's usually the result of having bad teammates.

All DMR starts do is make it so we have less variety on maps because it nullifies everything, less ways of playing matches. Every single session just degrades into a sniping fest with those things and isn't fun, and I haven't even elaborated on how frustrating it is when you're getting spawn killed. This game has so much content in it, and all the good stuff that appears on maps almost feels like its all removed solely because people start with that weapon, not EVERYONE enjoys only using one gun on a map.

Just give players AR and magnum starts, at least the pistol doesn't destroy the flow and balance of maps. You'd be surprised with how easy it is to find a DMR laying on the ground.

If you don't wanna have to pick them up, just go play Team Hardcore! It really feels like the Esports player base is trying to dictate how we play the game, and I'm not having it.
It seems like people keep thinking "AR start" means you only start with an assault rifle. You actually also start with a pistol which is a more balanced as the starting utilty weapon. It can kill just as fast as the DMR, but it doesn't have a big magazine size. You can easily beat charging AR users if they don't get the drop on you. TU DMR starts clearly aren't balanced for a lot of the maps either. Especially noticable when we get TU DMR start BTB on High Noon, or when it is on Hemorrhage(you can shoot across the map with it, from red cliff to blue cliff). The DMR is not the battle rifle from halo 2 and 3. It is also not the pistol from CE. The DMR much more accurate and powerful at longer ranges against both infantry and vehicles.
Agreed that DMR starts should be mostly confined to competitive matchmaking and made very uncommon in social matchmaking (not entirely eliminated for sake of variety).
So are community features. Whatever point you make about the DMR it's not going to make a lick of difference for the longevity of the game unless they swiftly release a server browser and give us a more open way to find shared files. Let alone the official releases of forge and theatre mode.
Only OG Reach players will understand why DMR starts are exactly what everyone wanted, and why it needs to stay (at least for hardcore playlists/mlg).
DMR starts really are a problem for basically every game mode except hardcore and swat (for obvious reasons). I don't mind having DMR starts every now and then, but currently it is way too often. Starting with DMR in BTB and even some slayer maps discourages people from trying to have map control, especially since in many cases it's more effective to team shot spam DMR shots down range then it is to grab a power weapon.

Even when taking out an enemy vehicle DMR does the job better when the enemy team spawns with it. It makes air vehicles and light vehicles practically useless to the point I'm now having games where teammates either forgo using things like the banshee or warthog or actively tell you not to use them as you'll just "be giving the other team a free kill". And while I know that is not entirely the case, it still demonstrates the negative effects that starting with DMR almost every game is causing on the average player mindset in matches. DMR starts are actively working to discourage unique or fun play and need to be addressed and looked at.
Only OG Reach players will understand why DMR starts are exactly what everyone wanted, and why it needs to stay (at least for hardcore playlists/mlg).
Most people aren't asking for it to be removed from the game. They only want more options in matchmaking instead of having the DMR start be enforced on almost everybody.
Most people aren't asking for it to be removed from the game. They only want more options in matchmaking instead of having the DMR start be enforced on almost everybody.
So they should make a playlist called "casual first timers" for those people then.
So they should make a playlist called "casual first timers" for those people then.
Every single DMR fanboy I've seen around here always has the same cancerous, condescending attitude. What's the deal with that?

Clearly you're seeing what a big request AR/Mags is, clearly you know you're outnumbered. Sorry that not everybody wants to play the game the same way you do. That doesn't make them "casuals" or "bad at the game". The biggest pro-DMR argument I see is that it makes the game balanced, but if you need a semi-power weapon handed to you every time you spawn, then maybe you don't actually know how this game is meant to be played. People aren't asking for DMR nerfs, or for the DMR to be deleted from the game: we just want a playlist with AR/Mags. Why does that trigger you DMR fanboys so much?

If you want the game to hand you a power weapon on a silver platter and you want to hide behind rocks and plink people from across the map, and lob grenades from behind corners all day, then God bless you, you sit there and you do that. If you want to call that balanced, or fun, or competitive in any sense of the word, you go ahead and tell yourself that lie too.

I want to run out and have a big crowd fight for the shotgun. I want to use a turret, jetpack, or vehicle without dying before the animation even starts. I want to stand in an open area and not die instantly. If I wanted to camp and start with power weapons I'd play CoD.
  1. 1
  2. ...
  3. 2
  4. ...
  5. 3