Forums / Games / Halo: The Master Chief Collection (PC)

DMR starts are necessary for longevity

OP Love the Trump

1. 1
  2. ...
  3. 2
  4. ...
  5. 3
I agree. I very much dislike the assault rifle and magnum in this game. Increase the AR’s clip by 50-100 percent, and it would be much better. Increase the magnums clip by 2 bullets, and it would be a good starting weapon, too.
Again, this was the way people wanted it when you were too young to play Reach during its original release.
Go play Halo 3 when it comes out like the rest of the children.
Only OG Reach players will understand why DMR starts are exactly what everyone wanted, and why it needs to stay (at least for hardcore playlists/mlg).
I must've sunk three hundred hours or more into OG Reach. DMR starts are awful in the social playlists. Most of the maps play a lot worse when everyone has one.
Only OG Reach players will understand why DMR starts are exactly what everyone wanted, and why it needs to stay (at least for hardcore playlists/mlg).
I must've sunk three hundred hours or more into OG Reach. DMR starts are awful in the social playlists. Most of the maps play a lot worse when everyone has one.
DMR starts aren’t awful if you’re playing on a huge open map and are stuck with weapons with no range. The DMR essentially becomes a camped power weapon. There’s a reason why bloom exists in social.
Most people aren't asking for it to be removed from the game. They only want more options in matchmaking instead of having the DMR start be enforced on almost everybody.
So they should make a playlist called "casual first timers" for those people then.
What's wrong with you?
You act as if you cannot go into the world and easily find a DMR or other weapons. I have actually stopped playing because DMR starts have ruined BTB.

Stop acting as if you are the majority or speak for it. If you go to the other thread, most don't agree with you in the other threads on this very subject
You can and that is the problem. The team that loses the first fight will spawn with magnums and get killed by uncounterable precision weapons and vehicles in BTB. This is a problem in Halo 3 BTB when you play against a team that knows what they are doing. DMR starts is the best way to balance power weapons and preventing spawn killing.
If a team that knows what they're doing is at your spawn, you should lose the match. They took control of the map, so why should your team have a borderline power weapon as a "get-out-of-jail" card?
Halo Reach will not have much longevity. I only play it now because I spent $40 for this collection, and it's the only game available within it.
If it weren't for Custom Games I'd be back on Eldewrito or Halo Custom Edition.
Watch, after all the games release, Halo Reach becomes one of the least played. Possibly worse than Halo 4. Then 343 will try to give Reach more appeal. Maybe with AR start. Maybe with funner playlists. Maybe with Devtools.

But they actually made a mistake making it optional. Since people in the future will only buy the collection and Reach's player counts will dwindle into nothingness.
You act as if you cannot go into the world and easily find a DMR or other weapons. I have actually stopped playing because DMR starts have ruined BTB.

Stop acting as if you are the majority or speak for it. If you go to the other thread, most don't agree with you in the other threads on this very subject
You can and that is the problem. The team that loses the first fight will spawn with magnums and get killed by uncounterable precision weapons and vehicles in BTB. This is a problem in Halo 3 BTB when you play against a team that knows what they are doing. DMR starts is the best way to balance power weapons and preventing spawn killing.
If a team that knows what they're doing is at your spawn, you should lose the match. They took control of the map, so why should your team have a borderline power weapon as a "get-out-of-jail" card?
I agree with EerieCookie on this. I have lost plenty of matches because my team couldn't control the map. and I played with a full BTB team. I take it as we lost fair and square.
The whole point of obtaining a power weapon is to be powerful. Why bother grabbing them if all of them can be countered so easily just by staying out of range? It's not unbalanced, it's just boring.

Furthermore, it makes a lot of maps play poorly when everyone starts with DMR's. No pre-DMR start map was designed with everyone having a DMR in mind; they were designed with 1 or 2 per side, or sometimes none at all - this is easy to see just by looking what weapons spawn on them, ergo you can assume the intended playstyle the map was supposed to have. Frankly, it worked quite well, and the only ones upset about it were those who didn't appreciate halo gameplay for what it was, but wanted to change it into something it never was meant to be. I loved it.

Again, it's not about balance, it's about rendering so many things useless. Jetpacks are an effective suicide button, most maps can't be played as everyone just skirts around the far edges, vehicles are unplayable if not a scorpion(and it's not necessarily due to their health system, but due to DMR's allowing one to easily just shoot players out of them.) This leads to very boring gameplay with a lack of weapon variety being used.

It's especially bad for plasma weapons, which have absolutely zero use now - they used to be best up close by blowing shields up and following with a melee, but you are not able to do that because they can just backpedal and plink with a DMR before your bolts even get there. The DMR has always been a hard-counter to such close range weapons, true, but because not everyone had it, such weapons like plasma rifles still had a frequent usefulness factor.

Long range weapons were intended to have their own niche, because most weapons in halo aren't suited for long distance. That's the whole reason why DMR starts weren't in pre-343 Halo aside from very specific gamemodes. Furthermore, bloom was there because the DMR has no burst unlike the BR; the BR's burst/spread effectively limits its range, whereas the DMR has no such limitations.

Finally, the argument about one-way steamrolls with no way to counter the opposing team is easily defeated by the limited ammo of power weapons, and their long respawn timers. Power weapons have upwards of 1 and a half to 2 minutes(IIRC) before they respawn, and never spawn at full capacity save for anything with an energy bar(even so, at full energy, things like splasers have only a few attacks.) This lack of ammo firstly limits the amount of damage they can do, albeit it is significant when applied properly. This gives opposing teams plenty of opportunity to fight for them and turn the tide.

Really, the only argument for them is one of opinion from those who don't like halo's weapon grabbing/map control/vehicle gameplay, and just want to click on heads like any other shooter, but with longer TTK's than other shooters. Sure it's balanced by rule, but hot damn is it boring by making so much flavor and dynamic of the game largely irrelevant.

The way I see it, if your team failed to control the map, failed to secure power weapon spawns, failed to properly use the power weapons you obtained(like taking a sniper up close instead of using it at range), failed to eliminate enemy vehicles and properly drive your own, then your team deserved to lose no matter how good you as an individual may be. There was a sort "strategic factor" to reach that was to be respected. There were already modes before 343 took over that catered to those who only liked to click heads, swat and slayer pro - this DMR spawn garbage has no place outside of those, especially not BTB.
Vet players from 360 Reach are the one wanting AR/pistol starts. That is how Halo has been (except Halo 2 cause Ar wasn't in it) and now it is just a camping fest. Like DRM starts need to go even in BTB. Yes DMR starts was in the 360 Reach BTB's but BTB just shows how bad it is cause you literally can not play the objective cause you go for that flag, that hill, that bomb plant you are instantly pelted by 101 DMR rounds.
Again, this was the way people wanted it when you were too young to play Reach during its original release.
How to kill your argument faster than a dmr.
Imagine the reachboys SEETHING when they cant get a game because everyone wants to actually play a fun game. Give it a year.
This post has been edited by a moderator. Please do not post comments that are discriminatory in nature.
*Original post. Click at your own discretion.
Spoiler:
Show
Daniel9650 wrote:
TFW someone takes a joke as serious commentary. There's no reason to get your jimmies rustled.
DMR starts as fine, but do I want every single match to be DMR start, especially in BTB which drastically lowers the advantage of vehicles like the warthog? -Yoink- no.

AR/Magnum should be the majority start, with DMR sprinkled in here and there. DMR starts were voted on 90% of the time because they weren't that common and they were a nice thing to mix the game up here and there. As it stands I let out a sigh of relief when I get that rare AR start now because I don't have to deal with the same long to mid range quick duels that occur in every match.
NicholasSK wrote:
Halo Reach will not have much longevity. I only play it now because I spent $40 for this collection, and it's the only game available within it.
If it weren't for Custom Games I'd be back on Eldewrito or Halo Custom Edition.
Watch, after all the games release, Halo Reach becomes one of the least played. Possibly worse than Halo 4. Then 343 will try to give Reach more appeal. Maybe with AR start. Maybe with funner playlists. Maybe with Devtools.

But they actually made a mistake making it optional. Since people in the future will only buy the collection and Reach's player counts will dwindle into nothingness.
Reach sustained a higher player count than 3 back during og release. Wont be any different this time around either.
Reach just has more of everything. Always did, always will.
Better engine, better appearance, better forge, more customization, more classic maps, zero bullet magnetism, zero random bs headshots, faster and more exciting gameplay.

I liked Halo 3 when it came out just like the rest, but Reach was an obvious improvement for those of us old enough to not have the glossy eyed nostalgia hold us back.

I'll be on Reach and Halo 2, only two Halo games that made a real impact.
I agree. I very much dislike the assault rifle and magnum in this game. Increase the AR’s clip by 50-100 percent, and it would be much better. Increase the magnums clip by 2 bullets, and it would be a good starting weapon, too.
You do know this halo reach is over 9 years old right?
Vet players from 360 Reach are the one wanting AR/pistol starts. That is how Halo has been (except Halo 2 cause Ar wasn't in it) and now it is just a camping fest. Like DRM starts need to go even in BTB. Yes DMR starts was in the 360 Reach BTB's but BTB just shows how bad it is cause you literally can not play the objective cause you go for that flag, that hill, that bomb plant you are instantly pelted by 101 DMR rounds.
DMR start BTB in old Reach wasn't even as bad as it is now. Higher bloom made long range kill times much longer which gave people time to take cover. This gave an incentive to get in closer(or flank) even with the DMR. Another factor is the average accuracy on X360 Reach.
ESPECIALLY in casual modes. On the 360 Reach, DMR starts were voted on 90% of the time. People think they are bad but have not yet experienced trying to fight power weapons with magnums. 343 please do not listen to only the new players who don't understand Reach's balance. This game IS the DMR. The complainers are just a vocal minority. The vast majority want DMR starts so the game remains balanced and fun. No one wants to run around in AR-melee fests or be spawn killed by DMRs and snipers because you lost the first fight of the game.
Not solo the DMR is the only weapon to use because there are a lot of Gun in this game!
You do know this halo reach is over 9 years old right?
So is WOW and Counter Strike, two of the most popular games in history.
Your point being?
The age of a game doesnt matter so long as it continues to recieve support and development.
It's the new ones with limited support that constantly fail, such as the COD franchise.

When Halo infinite releases, it will be the game that sets a standard for the rest.
I really hope it has Arena and BR gameplay, not just BR. Sort of like Black Ops 4 did. Halo without Arena is tough to swallow.
  1. 1
  2. ...
  3. 2
  4. ...
  5. 3