Forums / Games / Halo: The Master Chief Collection (PC)

Flight 3: Controller Aim Assist should not go live

OP saw141

1. 1
  2. ...
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. ...
  6. 22
The current build of Reach on the MCC PC Flight #3, has unbelievably strong controller aim assist. This is a PC port of a console series, that does not mean controller should even get aim assist at all...this IS a PC title now. Controllers originally got aim assist because they weren't mice, joysticks are hard to aim with precisely but what is the point of playing on PC if you're using a controller because it's better? The aim assist can TRACK INVISIBLE PLAYERS....???????????

I've been watching the former Halo 5 pro player " Kephrii " who is a top 100 Overwatch Widowmaker (Sniper) main; he has been streaming this final Flight. Here is a clip [ https://clips.twitch.tv/RoughClumsyPassionfruitSMOrc ] of him stating that he feels that the controller aim assist is "the strongest aim assist of any aim assist I've ever seen on a controller, of any game ever". This former Halo 5 pro player...is opting to use the controller over Keyboard and Mouse on PC, despite being a consistent, top 100, high tier mouse sniper on Overwatch. He even goes as far as to say "you shouldn't use a mouse and keyboard, controller is superior in every way." Is this a PC launch? This should not go live in this state...please reconsider this functionality. The aim assist can TRACK INVISIBLE PLAYERS....???????????

Also I've heard a couple people say that the Keyboard and Mouse movement in general feels clunky compared to the controller and that is another reason they think the controller is better.

I think if they keep this then they have to have input based matchmaking where controller users can not play with KB/M users.

Potentially the most important part of what I've said here is..."The aim assist can TRACK INVISIBLE PLAYERS....???????????"
Aim assist doesn't feel any different to me than it did originally on the 360. The only reason I'm using a controller is because I've built up thousands of hours of muscle memory playing Halo and don't feel like "re-learning" it, which is probably the same for a lot of people. Also I've followed competitive Halo since H2 and never heard of this guy in my life so I don't think his opinion holds much weight.
Aim assist doesn't feel any different to me than it did originally on the 360. The only reason I'm using a controller is because I've built up thousands of hours of muscle memory playing Halo and don't feel like "re-learning" it, which is probably the same for a lot of people. Also I've followed competitive Halo since H2 and never heard of this guy in my life so I don't think his opinion holds much weight.
Yeah but this is a PC game, not a console game. It's not that it feels different, it's that it exists on PC. He peaked #2 on Halo 5 and played for a team, he's also a consistent top 10 Keyboard / Mouse sniper main on Overwatch, his opinion holds weight.
Hi, I started playing with mouse & keyboard, and I don't like it, I run out of mouse space and the keyboard hand gets sore too fast. So I switched to controller cause its way more comfortable compared to keyboard and mouse.

Now I know there is aim assist (which by the way I had never used) and I'll proceed to use it thoroughly to increase my enjoyment of the game.
Use of aim assist decreases my enjoyment of the game. Keyboard and Mouse may not be for you but that doesn't mean you should get an advantage for using a different input method that is not the primary input method for this platform. Consoles were given aim assist BECAUSE they could not have the precision of mice...This platform does not REQUIRE the use of a controller like consoles generally do; it should not be the "superior" input method here.
The aim assist can TRACK INVISIBLE PLAYERS....???????????
Should I get a controller? I just got invited to the Flight Testing,and my god I'm horrible with Keyboard and Mouse.
saw141 wrote:
If you think this is a bug and it hasn't been reported already under known issues, then please file a bug for it on the halo Support site. Comments like this aren't helpful
I agree, AIM assist has no place on PC gaming , even for controller.

You play a shooter with a controller, you accept the fact that you play with a handicap, that's it
SGP SGP wrote:
Hi, I started playing with mouse & keyboard, and I don't like it, I run out of mouse space and the keyboard hand gets sore too fast. So I switched to controller cause its way more comfortable compared to keyboard and mouse.

Now I know there is aim assist (which by the way I had never used) and I'll proceed to use it thoroughly to increase my enjoyment of the game.
No offense, but I'll never understand why people choose to play on a PC if they hate mouse and keyboard controls. That's one of the main draws of PC. Why bother paying the premium for a gaming PC when you can just buy a comparatively cheap Xbox One, which is specifically designed for controller use?
stckrboy wrote:
saw141 wrote:
If you think this is a bug and it hasn't been reported already under known issues, then please file a bug for it on the halo Support site. Comments like this aren't helpful
I will do that, but these are the forums for discussion; I am using this resource correctly.
saw141 wrote:
Use of aim assist decreases my enjoyment of the game. Keyboard and Mouse may not be for you but that doesn't mean you should get an advantage for using a different input method that is not the primary input method for this platform. Consoles were given aim assist BECAUSE they could not have the precision of mice...This platform does not REQUIRE the use of a controller like consoles generally do; it should not be the "superior" input method here.
This is halo, more people will enjoy this game using a controller. No one cares what an overwatch player has to say about halo. Adapt or just deal with it.
The invisibility is perfect only when you have stood still for a moment. If you move even little the invisibility is only partial and the reticle goes red when aiming at them. And with controller and red reticle comes aim assist, like it has always been in Reach.
Ciriak3158 wrote:

You play a shooter with a controller, you accept the fact that you play with a handicap, that's it
Nah. This is halo, aim assist is a part of the game.
CHEWM0NSTA wrote:
saw141 wrote:
This is halo, more people will enjoy this game using a controller. No one cares what an overwatch player has to say about halo. Adapt or just deal with it.
How about just completely remove aim assist for controller players and have them adapt/deal with it?

You're missing the biggest point, this game is on PC. There is no cross play at the moment. Why would you purposely handicap yourself unless you knew you had a significant advantage with aim assist? The worst part is all of these controller players know it and do it anyway, ON THEIR PREMIUM PC LOL (tells a lot about their level of self-esteem).

Think about it, if there was no aim assist, would anyone in their right mind handicap themselves with a controller? Even if you've played Halo for 15 years on console, you know for a fact you'd aim better with MKB versus a controller with no aim assist. Game developing companies need to separate inputs on a competitive level, plain and simple. Follow the money and you will see PC/MKB at the top. Nobody is going to watch controller players with literal aimbots; just look at the viewership for the past Halo pro tournaments, it's an embarrassment.
This post has been edited by a moderator. Please do not post spam.
*Original post. Click at your own discretion.
Spoiler:
Show
CHEWM0NSTA wrote:
Ciriak3158 wrote:

You seem to be either unable or unwilling to more deeply consider the reasons why aim assist was added to Halo in the first place. The only reason aim assist was ever part of the Halo games was specifically because Halo was essentially a console-exclusive. Halo required aim assist for this reason. Aim assist need not necessarily be a core component of the Halo experience; rather, it is a core component of the console gaming experience, in general.

However, now that Halo is arriving on PC, aim assist is no longer a requirement since the PC platform is free from the limitations of the console gaming experience and its requisite input device, i.e. the controller. A game on PC does not require aim assist by virtue of there being a far superior input choice available to use with it, i.e. mouse and keyboard. In conclusion, it is questionable to claim that aim assist is a necessary part of the Halo games when the only reason it exists in the first place is due to circumstances external to the games themselves.
TomCat025 wrote:
CHEWM0NSTA wrote:
Ciriak3158 wrote:

You seem to be either unable or unwilling to more deeply consider the reasons why aim assist was added to Halo in the first place. The only reason aim assist was ever part of the Halo games was specifically because Halo was essentially a console-exclusive. Halo required aim assist for this reason. Aim assist need not necessarily be a core component of the Halo experience; rather, it is a core component of the console gaming experience, in general.

However, now that Halo is arriving on PC, aim assist is no longer a requirement since the PC platform is free from the limitations of the console gaming experience and its requisite input device, i.e. the controller. A game on PC does not require aim assist by virtue of there being a far superior input choice available to use with it, i.e. mouse and keyboard. In conclusion, it is questionable to claim that aim assist is a necessary part of the Halo games when the only reason it exists in the first place is due to circumstances external to the games themselves.
I'm actually curious why aim assist has to be a core component of console gaming experience at all. Anyone remember Golden Eye on the N64? From what I remember that had zero aim assist and was HARD to master. If there was zero aim assist in console games, I think it would actually be more enjoyable to play and watch. There would be actual skills involved.
CHEWM0NSTA wrote:
Ciriak3158 wrote:

And this is coming to PC. Aim assist when playing against PC players is -Yoink-. And controllers technically have TWO advantages:
- Aim magnetism (aka aim assist according to the community), where the crosshair will slightly 'track' moving targets
- Aim assist (aka bullet magnetism according to the community), where projectiles will literally curve towards the target if the reticule is close enough to them, even if it's not actually pointing at them. For Reach it's moderate, but in Halo 5 it's so aggressive that you'll often see sniper shots that definitely shouldn't have connected, hit perfectly.

I don't care if it's Halo, if you bring it to the PC, you ditch these assistance features. PC shooters are about aiming accurately, not about aiming 'close enough' and still getting rewarded. If Halo is coming to the PC, then it's becoming a PC shooter. It's that simple.
ok so i am not the only one thinking wow i am trying my -Yoink- off to aim and these dudes don't even have to pre aim on there jiggle peek and i am getting picked apart yeah it needs to just be gone or nerf'd or add somewhat too mouse&k because it seems hard to compete most of the time.
  1. 1
  2. ...
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. ...
  6. 22