Forums / Games / Halo: The Master Chief Collection (PC)

For those saying that Splitscreen is not for PC...

OP TFClassicSteam

1. 1
  2. ...
  3. 2
  4. ...
  5. 3
Have an issue with the tiny screen?

Get a Steam Link, and broadcast the game to your TV with it, then it'd be no different than on Xbox.

Controls? I think that's self-explanatory.

With the Steam Summer Sale coming up soon, Valve will most likely have a large discount for the Steam Links then, so get them during that time so you'll be set when the MCC comes out!

Your thoughts?
I mean... you can also just hook your pc to your tv. Save $30 and not deal with the lag.

but people aren't really saying split screen isn't for PC they are mostly saying its not worth the time. very few people use split screen with PC and most of those who do use it very rarely.
I mean... you can also just hook your pc to your tv. Save $30 and not deal with the lag.

but people aren't really saying split screen isn't for PC they are mostly saying its not worth the time. very few people use split screen with PC and most of those who do use it very rarely.
As someone who owns a Steam Link, it's far more than merely connecting via HDMI, it'd give a console-like menu with full controller support to help Xbox users feel more at home with the more laid-back console design.

More options to play with friends > Cutting out a classic feature tied to the franchise's roots.
... then just play it on the console.

more polished game > a mostly useless future on PC. Besides 343 didn't even feel split screen was important enough for the console in their last game

As someone who owns a Steam Link, it's far more than merely connecting via HDMI, it'd give a console-like menu with full controller support to help Xbox users feel more at home with the more laid-back console design.

More options to play with friends > Cutting out a classic feature tied to the franchise's roots.
The features you list for UI are just steam big-picture, which also works when displaying the PC directly, not exclusive to the steam link.
But yeah steamlinks are still cool .
Didn't they discontinued the steam link? I got mine for a dollar on a steam sale a loooong time ago with some side scrolling game.
Didn't they discontinued the steam link? I got mine for a dollar on a steam sale a loooong time ago with some side scrolling game.
Yes they discontinued them towards the end of last year. But valve released the firmware for free so you can install it on a raspberry pi and use that as a steam link, no joke.
rubicon68 wrote:
Yes they discontinued them towards the end of last year. But valve released the firmware for free so you can install it on a raspberry pi and use that as a steam link, no joke.
I'm sure somebody out there is doing that. I think I've used my steam link twice since I've had it.
Split Screen worked just fine for me when I played Gears 4 on PC and it also looked and functioned perfectly... It shouldn't be too difficult at all to implement on PC tbh, even if they can't they should at least allow it to be a moddable feature or activatable via Console Commands like in Left 4 Dead which has split screen if you enable it...
Split Screen worked just fine for me when I played Gears 4 on PC and it also looked and functioned perfectly... It shouldn't be too difficult at all to implement on PC tbh, even if they can't they should at least allow it to be a moddable feature or activatable via Console Commands like in Left 4 Dead which has split screen if you enable it...
It's not about inability but resource management when we are talking about a feature that would provably be used less than 1% of the global play time
It's not about inability but resource management when we are talking about a feature that would provably be used less than 1% of the global play time
Unless you're talking about Development time/resources, that never has and never will be a problem on PC... Hardware has gotten so good and affordable for PC gaming as of late, that even intergrated graphics cards which used to be the butt of all jokes for PC gaming enthusiasts for the longest time have gotten good enough to run modern games at reasonable enough settings...

So in that regard, there should be no issue whatsoever to implement said feature... also 1% of a large playerbase is still a big chunk of users that either really couch co-op like me and my family have for years, or people with slow internet so the only real enjoyment they get out of said games is offline with friends coming over.

Believe you me, one of the BIGGEST reasons a lot of us are exited for the MCC finally coming to PC is because we will finally be able to play through the campaigns of several halo games that never made it to PC, therefore denying the PC gaming commuinty split screen Co-op that halo was known for would be a big disservice, no matter how insignificant of a feature you may think it is...
... then just play it on the console.

more polished game > a mostly useless future on PC. Besides 343 didn't even feel split screen was important enough for the console in their last game
Aigoooo... this guy...

Get a Steam Link, and broadcast the game to your TV with it, then it'd be no different than on Xbox.

Controls? I think that's self-explanatory.

With the Steam Summer Sale coming up soon, Valve will most likely have a large discount for the Steam Links then, so get them during that time so you'll be set when the MCC comes out!

Your thoughts?
Yeah, you can still hook your PC up to the TV, just need an hdmi cable.
Unless you're talking about Development time/resources, that never has and never will be a problem on PC... Hardware has gotten so good and affordable for PC gaming as of late, that even intergrated graphics cards which used to be the butt of all jokes for PC gaming enthusiasts for the longest time have gotten good enough to run modern games at reasonable enough settings...

So in that regard, there should be no issue whatsoever to implement said feature... also 1% of a large playerbase is still a big chunk of users that either really couch co-op like me and my family have for years, or people with slow internet so the only real enjoyment they get out of said games is offline with friends coming over.

Believe you me, one of the BIGGEST reasons a lot of us are exited for the MCC finally coming to PC is because we will finally be able to play through the campaigns of several halo games that never made it to PC, therefore denying the PC gaming commuinty split screen Co-op that halo was known for would be a big disservice, no matter how insignificant of a feature you may think it is...
Dev time/resources is exactly the thing to be concerned about. Between the initial release of Xbox's MCC, and the barebones (and partially outsourced) team working on the PC port, I absolutely do not want ANY focus to be taken from what is necessary in favor of a feature that hardly any PC gamers will bother to use. I'm sorry to the few who would go through the trouble for it, but seriously, PC has never catered to splitscreen. If that's something you value highly, I'd wager you probably already have a console anyway.

... ofc I'm talking about development resources how is split screen going to be to intensive on the hardware.

The majority of ppl playing multilayer will run on seperate machines just like most other pc games. The experience you're recounting was facilitated by being in the same room as the people not the same screen

... ofc I'm talking about development resources how is split screen going to be to intensive on the hardware.

The majority of ppl playing multilayer will run on seperate machines just like most other pc games. The experience you're recounting was facilitated by being in the same room as the people not the same screen
This. LAN is a perfectly acceptable substitute for split-screen, and is actually a PC mainstay, unlike the latter. I would love to see LAN implemented, but split-screen is too much effort for too little return, I feel.
You could make the same argument for split-screen on console, and probably also for Forge mode, skulls, and bunch of other features that get implemented in every Halo over and over again, and are even improved upon, but realistically only account for a very small portion of total play time. The truth is, however, that these features are part of the ethos of Halo. Even if you disregard the value these features have for players, and just take the cold CEO point of view where sales and playtime figures are all that matters, these features are just part of the branding of Halo. Couch multiplayer is something Halo is known for, and is regarded by many players as an important feature. Even if the players who actively use it only formed a small part of the player base, they are really passionate about it. So if you take away that feature, they are the ones to go around and give the game bad press. Now, that bad press is probably not going to kill the game, but it's probably worth at least considering whether the saved resources are really worth it.

This guy gets it.

With the amount of resources 343i have, the amount of extra work they've already done over many years(and had to do because they screwed up so bad), the fact they're outsourcing to TWO other studios AND taking their time to "do it right." makes the notion of "...oh, well, err, we're not yet sure that staple feature will be cut or not." absolutely ridiculous. Just do everything right for once without any caveats, please. I'm literally begging, please don't cut it from the classic games which actually matter, they've had it since CE ffs.

I will want to use split-screen by hooking my rig up to my TV. The fact that 343i cut split-screen from Halo 5(the worst game in the series along with 4) should not set a precedent. Besides, they've confirmed 4player split-screen for Infinite so wtf.

Get a Steam Link, and broadcast the game to your TV with it, then it'd be no different than on Xbox. [...]
I don't even need that as I just bought a dedicated 32" PC monitor for that. The last time I had a TV was 12 years ago and it was an old CRT. Never felt the need to buy a new one since then, not with all the nonsense programs and shows on there now.
My brother and I played many games on that with two PS4 controllers connected via bluetooth, mostly old N64 titles for some childhood reliving and some newer co-op games on Steam. I would definitely love splitscreen because Halo is childhood for both of us as well.
I've only used splitscreen on PC with a handful of games but Halo would exponentially increase the use I would get out of such a feature. Anyone I show the games from here on out, they would play splitscreen on PC with me :)
  1. 1
  2. ...
  3. 2
  4. ...
  5. 3