Skip to main content

Forums / Games / Halo: The Master Chief Collection (PC)

Halo 3 PC Awful hit detection

OP Kristo Rails

1. 1
  2. ...
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. 4
  6. ...
  7. 5
It is awful, one of my favourite game variants is swat and here is where the problem is more obvious, having clean headshots that sometimes are not registered is frustrating, I can't play it until they do something about it
Moe P 0 wrote:
It is awful, one of my favourite game variants is swat and here is where the problem is more obvious, having clean headshots that sometimes are not registered is frustrating, I can't play it until they do something about it
Yeah if anyone really wants to feel how blatantly bad the hit reg is then just play swat. It feels like a complete RNG fest.
This is getting -Yoinking!- frustrating, I guess I'll have to deselect 3 too, I bought the whole collection to just play CE, if I knew I would have stayed with the OG lol.
Armchair programmer here. I admit my suggestion could be BS. Just throwing it out there.

If it's normally 180/30 but now it's 180/60 or whatever the framerate is, perhaps add an extra value at the end, like 180/60 x 2? Tie the multiple at the end to the framerate or something.
5+ Years Programmer, ~2 Years game development here. You are correct that some calculation needs to be changed but I don't like multiplying right there. That's the calculation for the offset of the projectile each frame, if you multiply there you're artificially increasing the speed of the projectile.

The only issue is what specifically that change would look like is kind of up in the air and hard to determine without seeing the code. I don't exactly know how they actually do the hitscan on the projectile. Do they let the projectile move one frame and line trace from where it is then back to where it was spawned? (Line tracing is like shining a singe ray of light between two points in the world to see if there is anything inbetween, say a player). If they do it that way, then why don't they line trace the "expected" distance out into the world first? Granted, this solution would cause strangeness with the spawned glowing projectiles onscreen if a hit is immediately registered (the hit would register before the projectile got there). Maybe they could have the projectile flagged as hitscan for X many ticks where X = TICKRATE / 30 and TICKRATE is a multiple of 30 (you can't have fractions of a tick). I don't know what the solution is.

The solution 343 should shoot for is to make something that is tickrate independent (doesn't require a specific tickrate to function properly). All of the Halos in MCC were programmed to be tickrate dependant. If you actually remove the 30 FPS cap on these old games without changing anything they would appear to run at 2X speed. Standard ways of making movement tickrate independent is to scale (multiply) by the tickrate. This can be accomplished in two ways: 1- if the tickrate is constant, you can make it accessible as a variable and multiply by 1/TICKRATE, 2- Time how long it takes between two updates and multiply by that value. If I have something moving at 100 cm/s, then each frame you'd want to offset that object by 100 * 1/TICKRATE or 100 * TIME_BETWEEN_TICKS. It should be noted that these calculations don't seem applicable to the projectiles, however but movement in general. This is why we are having issues right now, on higher tickrates the distance moved between two ticks is smaller.
Kripcision wrote:
This has been a problem for many years now and it's coming to PC as well. Halo 3's shot registration is just awful, on LAN and online as well and 343 hasn't show any interest in fixing it, even though multiple people have made videos on it and talked about it. The game will die after 1 week if this is not fixed

Halo 3 Awful Hit detection
its simply a different hit detection from halo 2 and reach, theres very little bullet magnetism, and you always have to lead your shots a bit towards where they are moving, the further they are the more you have to lead. this video is a montage of bad aim.
I agree with your sentiment on the clips in the video. These kinds of events were all common back in the day. But after playing more, there is definitely something wrong. Bullets used to not register because the game was p2p and people's connections were worse than they are now. Or, people weren't leading their shots enough. I've been playing a lot this week (old account had 15k matches of just MLG) and leading doesn't resolve the issue. H3 registration has always been pretty bad even when leading is being done properly. But Bullets are simply being dropped this time around. I've even had a couple instances of people no shields taking close to an entire clip (with 110% dmg) from within 20-30 feet. I'm guessing it's something with the framerate and the old code.

We've now seen H1 have spread dependent on the amount of frames you're getting. H2 have random bullet teleportation and registration that pales in comparison to cartographer. H2A people with less than 1MB upload couldn't pplay for months. Xbox MCC didn't work at launch for a long time. And halo reach have mouse sensitivity vary depending on how many frames you are getting. We haven't had a working game released from 343 in years without game breaking issues (aside from halo 4). And this time around it's been outsourced.
yeah this affects the scorpion tank quite a bit and the amount of blood shoots with the sniper make me not even wanna touch ranked. so sad
so friggin much for "RELEASE WHEN ITS READY!"
I've even had a problem multiple times where if you direct hit someone with a tank round they take no damage, but I guess it's just me not leading my shots right?
My first BTB I shot a banshee 3 times with a tank, saw the explosion of it hitting the banshee, and it was undamaged. So it hit on my screen but not on his, so it's just the hit registration.
I've even had a problem multiple times where if you direct hit someone with a tank round they take no damage, but I guess it's just me not leading my shots right?
My first BTB I shot a banshee 3 times with a tank, saw the explosion of it hitting the banshee, and it was undamaged. So it hit on my screen but not on his, so it's just the hit registration.
for me the tank is what has it the worst, but some weapons do as well
There's a few other factors at play too, like coordinates being compressed over the network to save bandwidth, but the side effect being that your position on the server and client don't always line up exactly.
Hit Registration is awful, period.

343 Has dropped the ball with every Halo they've touched, and this will go unfixed. Tired of shooting people in the head 3 times with a BR when they're one shot, just to kill them.

The El Dewrito version was better than this garbage.
Hit Registration is awful, period.

343 Has dropped the ball with every Halo they've touched, and this will go unfixed. Tired of shooting people in the head 3 times with a BR when they're one shot, just to kill them.

The El Dewrito version was better than this garbage.
They've already stated it will be fixed, but not without running a flight first.
Just played one Match... i have only played alot of Halo 4 and Halo CE as those are the only ones i love... played a little bit years and years ago on Xbox 360/Xbox OG... it wasn't like this. MCC is -Yoink- all around except for Halo CE. Halo 3 i shot 2 full clips at a stationary target and did no damage even though i saw bullets go through them, tried to TK but the bullets did nothing to them until they turned and killed me with 2 shots of a shotgun. waiting for Halo 4 or sticking to Halo CE where i can actually land shots and get top points.

i don't know why people hated Halo 4. i loved it.
Just got 3 shots on a player miles out in the open with the sniper rifle, and could see the blood each hit. No damage.

Thanks 343.
And yet again, I shoot a sniper right in the head, I go into theatre and see yes it was absolutely a headshot with a blood splatter.

The server ignores it, and then he kills me. Because that's fair naturally.

Awful.
Photolysis wrote:
And yet again, I shoot a sniper right in the head, I go into theatre and see yes it was absolutely a headshot with a blood splatter.

Awful.
Just quit playing halo 3, no point in wasting your time playing a broken game.
I agree, I'm to much use to the pin point accuracy of the newer games. I feel even Halo 2 and Reach have better hit detection than 3. That's why I mostly have H3 turned off because I don't feel like sweating in a game anymore. I had my fair share in that back on the 360.
I don’t understand how there are people who are able to still consistently hit their shots despite all of these issues. It’s almost as if they are playing a completely different game than I am. Are there video settings or something that reduce these issues? I’ve literally watched my bullets just bounce off of people. Makes the game just unplayable.
KnightFJS wrote:
Photolysis wrote:

Awful.
Just quit playing halo 3, no point in wasting your time playing a broken game.
Unfortunately because of a lack of players it's very hard to find games in H1 / H2 / Reach.
This has been a problem for many years now and it's coming to PC as well. Halo 3's shot registration is just awful, on LAN and online as well and 343 hasn't show any interest in fixing it, even though multiple people have made videos on it and talked about it. The game will die after 1 week if this is not fixed

Halo 3 Awful Hit detection
Agreed. The hit detection is laughable. I have multiple clips of just straight up wiffed shots. Prevalent with both sniper and br!
  1. 1
  2. ...
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. 4
  6. ...
  7. 5