Forums / Games / Halo: The Master Chief Collection (PC)

Halo CE on MCC PC is still the broken Gearbox Port

OP JUAV ON3

  1. 1
  2. ...
  3. ...
  4. 2
So, first of all, LateNight Gaming published a video that talks about how Gearbox ported WRONG Halo CE for PC in terms of Graphics, here is the link for the video to give more detail https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M6nZPrMSu0w

Not Only that, but Halo CE multiplayer is broken too, the bad respawns and how much NERFED the magnum is by being a 4 shot weapon instead of being a 3 shot one and having more recoil than the OG Xbox version makes this Halo CE PC/MCC on Xbox One version unfaithful to the Xbox version

I would accept all of this if Halo CE PC was a free game, but it seems that both on Steam and Windows Store the game will be 10 dollars, so it would be nice that you have to pay money for a "Better Quality of Life" port than a free and broken port

Ok, let´s think that there are people that like the Gearbox PC version over the Xbox version (Which I don´t see it possible), ¿Why not use some settings like Halo Reach did?

A multiplayer setting that is faithful to the OG Xbox version and the PC multiplayer version

And maybe if you can´t launch Halo CE Campaign with the Xbox Graphics (I mean, not the Gearbox Port graphics) ¿Could we at least put the Refined Campaign MOD on CE Files? Or even better, contract the Refined campaign team to make Halo CE campaign with both Anniversary graphics and Classic Graphics with the Xbox version graphics settings

Also, 343 needs to put more Halo CE ranked playlists, why not a Big Team Battle ranked playlist or a CTF one, that would be interesting

Halo CE on Steam must be a Holy Grail, it needs to overcome CS:GO population, at least at its launch, come on 343
I think we should hold off on these questions until the monthly blog drops. Postums has hinted the blog will solely be focused on CE so we'll find out an answer regarding this soon, probably by next friday at the latest.
Instead of listening to salty youtubers and other angry people on the interwebz, try the actual game on the OG XBOX.
Trust me, most of the flaws are there too.

Yes, the graphics is not what it used to be but most of the other stuff is exactly how it was in the og game.

THE OG GAME WAS A BUGFEST
I'm sorry but it's the truth.
I think we should hold off on these questions until the monthly blog drops. Postums has hinted the blog will solely be focused on CE so we'll find out an answer regarding this soon, probably by next friday at the latest.
I Hope so, because if they don't recognize this, Halo CE on MCC Is already -Yoinked!-
chriva404 wrote:
Instead of listening to salty youtubers and other angry people on the interwebz, try the actual game on the OG XBOX.
Trust me, most of the flaws are there too.

Yes, the graphics is not what it used to be but most of the other stuff is exactly how it was in the og game.

THE OG GAME WAS A BUGFESTI'm sorry but it's the truth.
So, if the Xbox Version Is the way you say It is
chriva404 wrote:
Instead of listening to salty youtubers and other angry people on the interwebz, try the actual game on the OG XBOX.
Trust me, most of the flaws are there too.

Yes, the graphics is not what it used to be but most of the other stuff is exactly how it was in the og game.

THE OG GAME WAS A BUGFESTI'm sorry but it's the truth.
So, if the Xbox version is the way you say it Is, why would UGC use the Xbox Version instead of the PC Gearbox version or the MCC version for the 2018 tournament? ( I mean, I say It because PCs currently hace More capacity than 2001 Xbox or the Xbox One versión because it Is ay 1080/4K 60 FPS) Well, the reason they use the Original Xbox version is because PC/MCC Halo CE Is BROKEN
They used the Gearbox version for it's netcode that CE Xbox didn't have.
They used the Gearbox version for it's netcode that CE Xbox didn't have.
I thought the games were supposed to be on some kind of unified code-base now. Why are they making things so much harder than they need to be? Surely with us already having Reach on PC we can recycle most of the code from there? Devs would only need to pen down particular variables to re-create the particular physics of the previous games. Wasn't having a spaghetti monster of code why the Xbox version of MCC was such a dumpster fire on launch?

Yes, it would be VERY daunting to get all the games on one version of BLAM! but in the end it would realize their dream of every halo game in one better than trying to have so many individual environments. And bug-fixes in one game for example would be universal to all the others.
It's WORSE than the broken gearbox port. The gearbox port at least didn't have input delay and had hit sounds when you landed your shots/grenades on the enemy. This one has a better netcode so there's no weird bump-lag and it feels smooth but the input delay is still bad and needs to be fixed otherwise the old 2003 XBOX Gearbox Port of Halo Combat Evolved is better than this version which is absolutely pathetic.
Id gladly wait a few months for 343 to fix it up. Cause I remember how beautiful OG Halo looked like. Even when I played Halo CE on pc back in 2007 is when I got it. I kept thinking something dont feel and look right with this game. Especially when I notice shields and fogs were not as it were then the walls. At the time I just thought it was cause of my poor nvidia 8600GT. Yep you believe it I had that running for Halo CE on pc back in the day. I saw nothing but white people too when in multiplayer. There no hiding from me lol.

Though honestly my guess is by the time this will be all fix is when 343 finally ports all the games then goes back to fixing stuff for this game and enhancing it. since they want to get all the other titles out by this year.
chriva404 wrote:
Instead of listening to salty youtubers and other angry people on the interwebz, try the actual game on the OG XBOX.
Trust me, most of the flaws are there too.

Yes, the graphics is not what it used to be but most of the other stuff is exactly how it was in the og game.

THE OG GAME WAS A BUGFESTI'm sorry but it's the truth.
"Hmm how can I dismiss what he's saying without knowing what I'm talking about...something something salty something something inTeRwEbzzz"
They used the Gearbox version for it's netcode that CE Xbox didn't have.
I thought the games were supposed to be on some kind of unified code-base now. Why are they making things so much harder than they need to be? Surely with us already having Reach on PC we can recycle most of the code from there? Devs would only need to pen down particular variables to re-create the particular physics of the previous games. Wasn't having a spaghetti monster of code why the Xbox version of MCC was such a dumpster fire on launch?

Yes, it would be VERY daunting to get all the games on one version of BLAM! but in the end it would realize their dream of every halo game in one better than trying to have so many individual environments. And bug-fixes in one game for example would be universal to all the others.
Unfortunately, Halo CE and Reach are very different games. You can't just put Halo CE on Reach's engine and expect it to work well. It is MUCH MUCH cheaper to just use the original engines.

Now adding netcode to Halo CE Xbox might be a decent compromise.

Also the unified codebase is only for the main menus. All of the menus run on Unreal Engine if I'm not mistaken
Mhmm, true. And it's a shame too. There's so many benefits to the idea of a completely unified code base but if daddy M$ won't put up the funding or man-power the devs will just have to try and cope... I don't think they'll be having a fun time around abouts when H3 comes out. The sheer number of games they'll be trying to support on different code bases at that point will be utterly crippling. Hopefully they can manage. =/
Spoiler:
Show
JUAV ON3 wrote:
So, first of all, LateNight Gaming published a video that talks about how Gearbox ported WRONG Halo CE for PC in terms of Graphics, here is the link for the video to give more detail https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M6nZPrMSu0w

Not Only that, but Halo CE multiplayer is broken too, the bad respawns and how much NERFED the magnum is by being a 4 shot weapon instead of being a 3 shot one and having more recoil than the OG Xbox version makes this Halo CE PC/MCC on Xbox One version unfaithful to the Xbox version

I would accept all of this if Halo CE PC was a free game, but it seems that both on Steam and Windows Store the game will be 10 dollars, so it would be nice that you have to pay money for a "Better Quality of Life" port than a free and broken port

Ok, let´s think that there are people that like the Gearbox PC version over the Xbox version (Which I don´t see it possible), ¿Why not use some settings like Halo Reach did?

A multiplayer setting that is faithful to the OG Xbox version and the PC multiplayer version

And maybe if you can´t launch Halo CE Campaign with the Xbox Graphics (I mean, not the Gearbox Port graphics) ¿Could we at least put the Refined Campaign MOD on CE Files? Or even better, contract the Refined campaign team to make Halo CE campaign with both Anniversary graphics and Classic Graphics with the Xbox version graphics settings

Also, 343 needs to put more Halo CE ranked playlists, why not a Big Team Battle ranked playlist or a CTF one, that would be interesting

Halo CE on Steam must be a Holy Grail, it needs to overcome CS:GO population, at least at its launch, come on 343
Oof, i hate to break it to ya, but that ain't gonna happen. I'd be surprised if it even came close to Reach's launch numbers. Unfortunately, Reach was 343's debut into the PC market and it flopped and left a salty taste in a lot of PC player's mouths.
JUAV ON3 wrote:
chriva404 wrote:
Instead of listening to salty youtubers and other angry people on the interwebz, try the actual game on the OG XBOX.
Trust me, most of the flaws are there too.

Yes, the graphics is not what it used to be but most of the other stuff is exactly how it was in the og game.

THE OG GAME WAS A BUGFESTI'm sorry but it's the truth.
So, if the Xbox Version Is the way you say It is
chriva404 wrote:
Instead of listening to salty youtubers and other angry people on the interwebz, try the actual game on the OG XBOX.
Trust me, most of the flaws are there too.

Yes, the graphics is not what it used to be but most of the other stuff is exactly how it was in the og game.

THE OG GAME WAS A BUGFESTI'm sorry but it's the truth.
So, if the Xbox version is the way you say it Is, why would UGC use the Xbox Version instead of the PC Gearbox version or the MCC version for the 2018 tournament? ( I mean, I say It because PCs currently hace More capacity than 2001 Xbox or the Xbox One versión because it Is ay 1080/4K 60 FPS) Well, the reason they use the Original Xbox version is because PC/MCC Halo CE Is BROKEN
They most likely used the OG Xbox version because it's the original, It was a Halo:CE Tournament not an MCC tournament, and also PC MCC wasn't even announced in 2018
JUAV ON3 wrote:
Not Only that, but Halo CE multiplayer is broken too, the bad respawns and how much NERFED the magnum is by being a 4 shot weapon instead of being a 3 shot one and having more recoil than the OG Xbox version makes this Halo CE PC/MCC on Xbox One version unfaithful to the Xbox version

A multiplayer setting that is faithful to the OG Xbox version and the PC multiplayer version

First off, your ultimate premise is right, Halo CE on MCC is based on the TERRIBLY BROKEN Gearbox port. The community PLEADED with 343 to NOT use this broken port and was totally ignored. However, MCC does not change the pistol from a 3 shot to a 4 shot.

chriva404 wrote:
THE OG GAME WAS A BUGFESTI'm sorry but it's the truth.
The OG game was not a bugfest, it was nearly flawless. Even after 18 years of play, some of the (extremely minor) flaws in OG are just now being discovered, and they are really only networking related and due to some old xboxes being faster/slower than others. Once again, someone is spewing from their mouth that they have no idea about. See the bottom of this post for several bugs not in OG.

JUAV ON3 wrote:
chriva404 wrote:
They most likely used the OG Xbox version because it's the original, It was a Halo:CE Tournament not an MCC tournament, and also PC MCC wasn't even announced in 2018
NO! What is it with so many people insisting on spewing out stuff on Halo 1 that is blatantly false?

UGC used the original Halo because the MCC version is INCREDIBLY broken. They were wise enough to consult with the Halo 1 community in order to have the proper equipment, rules, and version of the game being played. The Halo 1 community doesn't use MCC because it has tons and tons of bugs, inconsistencies, and is an all around disaster. In fact, almost every single player at the revered Beach LAN agrees: MCC is a piece of pure garbage.

I have taken the time to type out a few of the bugs that exist in MCC, but this is not a comprehensive list. There is more wrong with the game than this.

Condensed bug list:
1. Horrible shot/melee/damage registration. Game knows to blow a person through the air from a rocket blast, but not to damage them. Some players eat bullets at will.
2. Inconsistency in magnetism with the pistol through games. Seems that different magnetisms are given to players. One game the pistol can be extremely easy to use, legitimately cannot miss. The next game you can miss every single bullet in two clips. Most players experience extreme "anti-aim" while the other team may have the magnetism.
3. Input lag for shots spawning on map
4. Plasma rifle and other projectile weapons do not work.
5. Phantom melee, last ditch grenades being thrown on respawn.
6. Player has active camo and stands on the old one until his current runs out. New one is picked up but player is no longer camo.
7. Physics desyncs: when an item (powerup, weapon, etc) is moved from its original location due to an explosion, there seems to be a disagreement between server and client about its final location.
8. Minimum re-entry distance for teleporters is broken: in the original, when going through a two-way teleporter, the player needs to move away a certain distance before he can re-enter the teleporter.
9. Everything feels "off" somehow. Walking is not the same as in OG.
10. Original aiming curves from OG are unavailable.
11. Original map geometries are altered, making some maps easier.
12. Graphical downgrades apparent in campaign.
13. Pistol spread and overall behavior nothing like OG.
14+. And many more that I can't think of right now.
This bug list is SOME of the things that make the OG CE community not want to play the absolute trash version of CE that is present on MCC.

They used the Gearbox version for it's netcode that CE Xbox didn't have.
This is probably the only accurate post in this thread. Yes, that is exactly why they used it. But, lets set the record straight. Well before the launch of MCC, a Halo 1 expert and talented programmer, Insidious, contacted 343 and told them that the Gearbox port has an incredible amount of bugs, and that they would be chasing these bugs for the rest of their careers if they used the Gearbox port. 343 consulted with Insidious on this, and then ignored him when he told them that it is ESSENTIAL to use the OG Xbox version of Halo 1.
  1. https://www.reddit.com/r/halo/comments/e23gr8/an_open_letter_to_the_halo_community_the_current/
In the future, I recommend that people who don't know what they are talking about when it comes to Halo 1 to be sure and only post factual information. Pointing out bugs that don't exist (like a 4 shot pistol) only reduces the credibility of the movement to fix Halo 1. Stating that UGC only used OG cause it was "not an MCC tournament" is just more nonsense being spewed out of someones rear end, because I went to the UGC website for atlantic city and saw the first thing on the page was "Halo 3 to be played on master chief collection." If people here want to talk about Halo 1, I recommend that you either put pressure on 343 to fix the VERIFIED bug list, to port OG, or to release the OG source code to the greater Halo community so that they can fix it. Do not make up bugs, downplay current bugs, or in general spew nonsense out of your mouth.

I will also quote a post by forum user xxcloud7xx, who has compiled a ton of information for people who don't know anything about the state of Halo CE in my next post.
xxcloud7xx wrote:
I strongly disagree with your assessment of the MCC version of Halo 1. I highly recommend for you to do some more research on the various bugs and issues that are plaguing the MCC version of Halo 1 and for you to reconsider your assessment of the game. In my opinion the MCC version of Halo 1 plays nothing like XBC off host. In my opinion playing the original Xbox version of Halo 1/Halo 1 NHE online via tunneling programs such as xLAN, XLink Kai, and XBC is more tolerable than playing Halo 1 on the MCC online as long as you're playing with people that live close enough to you.
  • https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UdkW9X6Boec
  • https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gtZY1lOwrgE
Halo 1 on the MCC is currently plagued with a ton of bugs and issues because it's based off of the botched PC port of Halo 1 instead of the original Xbox verison of Halo 1. Gearbox botched the PC port of Halo 1 and 343 botched the MCC version of Halo 1 by using the botched PC port of Halo 1 instead of the original Xbox version of Halo 1. Halo 1 on the MCC in it's current condition isn't competitively viable for online play and it's certainly not competitively viable for LAN play.

You want evidence that the MCC version of Halo 1 is objectively inferior to the original Xbox version of Halo 1 and that the MCC version of Halo 1 is a poor representation of Halo 1? Here's the evidence.
  • http://www.halobugs.com/
  • https://cdn.discordapp.com/attachments/487240502505111552/567371824648945678/updated_mcc_bugs_list.txt
  • https://www.halowaypoint.com/en-us/forums/84ad72a8b51847978545f685f651fc15/topics/halo-ce-pc-port-issues-masterlist/2b908f00-c2e5-4927-8649-9fa999de417e/posts?page=1#post5
  • https://www.reddit.com/r/halo/comments/e23gr8/an_open_letter_to_the_halo_community_the_current/?utm_medium=android_app&utm_source=share
  • https://www.reddit.com/r/halo/comments/b9zk3r/halo_community_please_get_behind_requesting_that/
  • https://www.reddit.com/r/HaloCERefined/comments/9lpk6m/port_issues_masterlist/
  • https://www.halowaypoint.com/en-us/forums/84ad72a8b51847978545f685f651fc15/topics/the-ultimate-way-to-completely-fix-halo-ce-mcc/5f921cb7-b2d5-4d18-8041-11d2b8f49d45/posts?page=2#post22
  • https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M6nZPrMSu0w
  • https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y6HSPCAMDMQ
The Halo 1 community doesn't use the MCC version of Halo 1 for LANs and LAN tournaments because like I said earlier in my post, it's not currently viable for competitive play. The Halo 1 community uses the original Xbox version of Halo 1/Halo 1 NHE for LANs and LAN tournaments with original Xboxes and CRT TVs/CRT monitors.
  • Beach-LAN youtube
  • http://beach-lan.com/
  • https://www.twitch.tv/beachlan/
  • HCS Weekly | Episode 43 Feat. The Host of BeachLAN
  • HCS Weekly | Episode 44 Ft. Patch
  • UGC Halo Classic Halo CE 2v2 powered by Skillshot
  • Puckett's Halo 1 2019 WINTERWONDER LAN
  • Devilman's youtube
  • https://www.twitch.tv/vabeachlan/
  • Jeenyus youtube
  • https://www.twitch.tv/llljermlll/videos
  • Halo Ce Dallas Lan part 1
  • Halo Ce Dallas Lan part 2
  • Legend's LAN
  • https://www.twitch.tv/vicksburghalo/videos
  • CYRiX's youtube
  • Brockville LAN part 1
  • Brockville LAN part 2
  • DDS youtube
  • Missingno Wilder's youtube
If you want to learn more about the issues plaguing Halo 1 on the MCC and why the Halo 1 community prefers using the original Xbox version of Halo 1/Halo 1 NHE for competitive play then I highly recommend for you to join the Halo 1 Hub discord and for you to check out the Halo 1 Hub website.
This quote is from Cloud, and I recommend that you take the time to review it and learn much about what is really going on with Halo 1, and to stop posting false information that you've made up.

Link to his exact post, so you can click the links:

https://www.halowaypoint.com/en-us/forums/84ad72a8b51847978545f685f651fc15/topics/halo-ce-on-mcc-first-impressions/53c5a6fa-eb3c-4727-ac78-e3e1a7059c58/posts?page=1#post2
Heronimon wrote:
chriva404 wrote:
-snip-
"Hmm how can I dismiss what he's saying without knowing what I'm talking about...something something salty something something inTeRwEbzzz"
Sounds like he knows what he's talking about, actually.

Anyone who isn't viewing the Xbox version through rose tinted glasses would know that the Xbox and Gearbox versions play pretty similarly. Even more so with small changes they've made to make it play closer to the OG. If anything, it's a laugh that the OP chooses to label the port as broken over a few graphical issues?

I don't like the graphical bugs either, but saying some shader/effect bugs = a broken game reeks of YouTube sensationalism. Try not to buy into the spin, yeah?
Oowoon wrote:
Heronimon wrote:
chriva404 wrote:
-snip-
"Hmm how can I dismiss what he's saying without knowing what I'm talking about...something something salty something something inTeRwEbzzz"
Sounds like he knows what he's talking about, actually.

Anyone who isn't viewing the Xbox version through rose tinted glasses would know that the Xbox and Gearbox versions play pretty similarly. Even more so with small changes they've made to make it play closer to the OG. If anything, it's a laugh that the OP chooses to label the port as broken over a few graphical issues?

I don't like the graphical bugs either, but saying some shader/effect bugs = a broken game reeks of YouTube sensationalism. Try not to buy into the spin, yeah?
Jesus Christ, they DO NOT play ANYTHING like each other. You are spewing absolute trash. Read the above posts, quit talking out of your rear end.
Oowoon wrote:
Heronimon wrote:
chriva404 wrote:
-snip-
"Hmm how can I dismiss what he's saying without knowing what I'm talking about...something something salty something something inTeRwEbzzz"
Sounds like he knows what he's talking about, actually.

Anyone who isn't viewing the Xbox version through rose tinted glasses would know that the Xbox and Gearbox versions play pretty similarly. Even more so with small changes they've made to make it play closer to the OG. If anything, it's a laugh that the OP chooses to label the port as broken over a few graphical issues?

I don't like the graphical bugs either, but saying some shader/effect bugs = a broken game reeks of YouTube sensationalism. Try not to buy into the spin, yeah?
The graphical issues are unacceptable. All issues hindering gameplay - any aspect - of the original experience is unacceptable. It's bloody nonstop amateur hour for years since 343i took over. I'm not interested in being condescended to by people who don't know what they're talking about and at this point I'm not interested in excuses they need to hurry up and just start following through. FFS!
chriva404 wrote:
Instead of listening to salty youtubers and other angry people on the interwebz, try the actual game on the OG XBOX.
Trust me, most of the flaws are there too.

Yes, the graphics is not what it used to be but most of the other stuff is exactly how it was in the og game.

THE OG GAME WAS A BUGFESTI'm sorry but it's the truth.
I still play Halo and Halo 2 on the original Xbox quite regularly due to having the Xbox's plugged into different TV's in a shared house. I'm not sure what versions you're playing, but mine have nowhere near as many bugs as the MCC version.
  1. 1
  2. ...
  3. ...
  4. 2