1. 1
  2. ...
  3. ...
  4. 2
I don’t mod but if and when Halo arrives on PC, can it be modded and if so, is it ok just to mod offline?
343 is considering official mod support for MCC on PC. However, whatever their decision ends up being, mod support won’t exist at launch.
Chimera30 wrote:
343 is considering official mod support for MCC on PC. However, whatever their decision ends up being, mod support won’t exist at launch.
Out of curiosity, are we talking about mod support happening after the entire collection has been released, or will the availability and timing of mod support be relative to each game as its released? I don't think that was ever specified.
Chimera30 wrote:
Out of curiosity, are we talking about mod support happening after the entire collection has been released, or will the availability and timing of mod support be relative to each game as its released? I don't think that was ever specified.
Probably won't know more than that until closer to the first game launching.
only graphic mod
Diamasty wrote:
I don’t mod but if and when Halo arrives on PC, can it be modded and if so, is it ok just to mod offline?
I dunno tbh but they are considering mods and i think that modders are already helping them out. In any case mods wont be there on launch.
Diamasty wrote:
If custom servers become an option, they'll most likely try running modded content since it'd basically be just a custom game that anyone could join.

Regardless, there most likely will be mods regardless, officially supported or otherwise.
I wonder if the forum rules will change when mod support hits to allow mod discussions without having to worry about your posts getting taken down. Would love to see a dedicated forum section added then.
Terg500 wrote:
I wonder if the forum rules will change when mod support hits to allow mod discussions without having to worry about your posts getting taken down. Would love to see a dedicated forum section added then.
If Halo gets official modding support in future games then yes, that stuff will be up for discussion. You still won't be able to talk about unofficial mods, anything that breaks Xbox Live ToS, or items that cannot be obtained legally. Right now discussion of why you would like to see is perfectly fine, just don't discuss / share / link to existing mods or anything that break ToS
stckrboy wrote:
Terg500 wrote:
If Halo gets official modding support in future games then yes, that stuff will be up for discussion. You still won't be able to talk about unofficial mods, anything that breaks Xbox Live ToS, or items that cannot be obtained legally. Right now discussion of why you would like to see is perfectly fine, just don't discuss / share / link to existing mods or anything that break ToS
Oh I see. I didn't know that darn wheelchair would get me into trouble. x)
stckrboy wrote:
Terg500 wrote:
Okay, so... Is there a list that tells us what mods don't break ToS and which ones do? So that we can at least have some kind of reference material to avoid accidentally discussing mods that violate the rules? It would definitely come in handy until the forum rules (hopefully) change.

There are a lot of mods for Halo CE that seem to be okay to discuss, but mods for Halo 2 Vista are... dicey in regards to acceptance. Many people who play mods simply play them without reading about how they came to be and thus are technically ignorant of whether or not they violate the rules. I believe it would be very beneficial for all of us if there were to be a list published on the forum that lets us know which mods have been determined as safe to discuss and which ones are not safe to discuss. I hope that my request is at lease considered, even if it never gets implemented.
Consider Halo Custom Edition and Installation 01 ok. Everything else is either not allowed or in a really grey are right now and it's best to avoid until we can get more clarity. Stick to talking about about the potential of future modding support, don't mention specific mods but focus more on features.
only graphic mod
Wrong, we've got no information about how mods are going to work at all. It could be something like Halo custom edition custom map support for example. The only thing we know is that mod support won't be there at launch.
With Halo infinite coming out in the next couple years, I wonder if they will allow much modding. I doubt they will release something like Bethesda's Creation Kit. But I really hope they expand forge in some way.
stckrboy wrote:
Consider Halo Custom Edition and Installation 01 ok. Everything else is either not allowed or in a really grey are right now and it's best to avoid until we can get more clarity. Stick to talking about about the potential of future modding support, don't mention specific mods but focus more on features.
Got it. Halo CE and... Installation 01? Huh, I thought that one would have been in the grey area. But if it's based on CE, then I guess that's why it's okay.

So, because we can talk about Custom Edition... I'd like to see support for SPV3 being imported into the PC version of MCC! Not as a replacement for Combat Evolved, but as an additional expansion with its own sub-menu, so that players can add that to their own custom campaign playlists! I'd also like to see support for other custom campaign mods, like ones that feature weapons, enemies, and vehicles from other games. I'd like to see support in the form of an Editing Kit of the Saber Engine for players to make their own HCEA mods, that way we can have mods that have both Classic Graphic modes and Anniversary Graphic modes! That would be awesome!
I think there will be mod-support but not immediately after launch. It might take a few months at most before we get it.
ponkiepoy wrote:
I think there will be mod-support but not immediately after launch. It might take a few months at most before we get it.
I don't wish to seem rude, but we already know that much. It was stated in the Reddit AMA.

However, there is a big question that very few of us have asked regarding mod support, and that is whether or not the PC port of MCC will support OpenSauce. OpenSauce is what allows certain mods to be as unique as they are, and it allows the Halo CE engine to do things that it would not normally be able to do without exhaustive levels of scripting, such as vehicle boarding and whatnot. Because some very, very popular mods (such as SPV3) utilize OpenSauce, and people want them imported to the MCC, we have to know if the architecture of the MCC itself is capable of playing nice with OpenSauce. If it doesn't, then the only mods we'll see are those that utilize vanilla tags and tag sets. And by vanilla, I mean non-OpenSauce tags.

Also... we still don't know how exactly the mod support will be implemented. Will it be something that only happens on an individual basis for each game? That is, after Reach is released, will we see mod support for that game around the time that HCEA is released, and then mod support for HCEA around the time H2A is released, and so on and so forth? Or will mod support for any game in the MCC only happen after the entire collection has been released on PC?

And following this, we must also consider what types of mods are going to be accepted. We know that mods containing inappropriate material will not be accepted, and most likely any mods containing copyrighted material not owned by Microsoft will also not be accepted for legal reasons. But we must also wonder how accepted mods will be imported into the MCC as well. Will there be prioritizing of mods based on if they are for singleplayer or multiplayer? Will singleplayer mods be capable of being played by multiple people via online coop mode, or will they be only playable on solo? How long will it take for any mod to be tested before being accepted and imported into the MCC or at least be made available via Steam Workshop or whatever custom browser is available?
Hey, I've got a question. When mod support finally becomes available for MCC PC, will we be able to show off our mods in the Community Creations forum? Or will talking about mods be restricted solely to the MCC PC forum?
Aw sweet, I used to love mods for Halo Custom Edition back in the day on PC
Hey, I've got a question. When mod support finally becomes available for MCC PC, will we be able to show off our mods in the Community Creations forum? Or will talking about mods be restricted solely to the MCC PC forum?
That's a good question. For officially support stuff I don't think there would be a problem with that, but absolutely do not take my word on hat being a thing. We're still really far out from modding support so it will likely be clarified closer to the time of it being a thing
  1. 1
  2. ...
  3. ...
  4. 2