As I'm sure everyone knows, the PC version of Reach will have a centered crosshair by default, with an option to lower it to its original position if you prefer it that way. While this is great for anyone that prefers centered crosshairs, it's clear that the position of the weapon viewmodels, as well as the HUD, were not originally designed with a centered crosshair in mind. I'll elaborate more below, but in short, I would like to see future updates add settings to adjust the way these elements are positioned.

The issue with weapon viewmodels has been brought up before, and 343 has even addressed these concerns (though they haven't yet committed to any solution). But if you're unfamiliar with these complaints, essentially the on-screen weapon that your holding has been raised from it's original position to align with the new position of the crosshair, and obstructs a lot more of the screen because of this. It also just looks a bit awkward and unnatural. Modders have easily fixed this by adjusting the angle and tilt of the viewmodel (see here), but I doubt matchmaking or achievements/stats will work when using mods, so I feel that some kind of official setting to adjust the viewmodel (within reason) is needed. This would also be useful when playing with a high FOV.

As I said though, the viewmodel issue has been discussed before. What I haven't seen any mention of are the problems with the HUD when playing with a centered crosshair; specifically the shield and health bars at the top of the screen. The HUD was originally designed around an uncentered crosshair, and there was a comfortable distance between where you were aiming and where the shield and health bars were located. With the crosshair centered however, it feels too close to the shield and health bars, which in turn feel like they're partially obstructing your view, and decreasing your vertical awareness.

Now you've probably noticed that in the original game (or when playing with the classic crosshair setting), crosshairs are centered when using a vehicle or turret. You may also have noticed that as your crosshair position moves up when entering a vehicle, so do your shield and health bars (as well as the compass above them of course). This still happens when playing with centered crosshairs on the PC version, and the result is that, for me at least, controlling a vehicle feels (or looks; I've only been able to watch footage of the flights) a lot more comfortable than being on foot, even though the crosshair is in the same spot for both.

If there were settings to adjust either the position of individual HUD elements, or the screen margins of the HUD (basically adjusting how far from the center of the screen all of the HUD elements are proportionally to one another, rather than individually) this wouldn't be an issue. Although this sounds like a simple thing to add, I don't actually know how difficult or time consuming either of these settings would be to implement, but they would be hugely appreciated. I should also note that this will likely be an issue for Halo 3, ODST, and 4 as well, and that Halo 3 and ODST will likely be more complicated due to their HUD elements being a part of a transparent helmet overlay.

If you've read all of this, thank you, and I hope I've done a decent job of explaining what my issues are. I'd love to hear what anyone else has to say on this matter, particularly regarding the position of the shield and health bars, as I haven't heard or read any other discussions about it.

EDIT: A setting to adjust the transparency of the HUD would also be helpful.
It looks significantly better and is just all around more pleasing with the centered crosshair and the lowered view model.
I don't see how the view model would be tied to the crosshair, but then again I'm not a game designer. It seems like a simple fix in theory, lets hope it gets worked out relatively soon so I dont have 1/3 of my screen taken up by my arms like my eyes are at my collarbone
For me, the hud elements are fine, I'd just like the bars themselves to be a bit more see through, the view model tho, I love to play with high FOV but low view model FOV, having it placed like when the crosshair is lowered would be prefferable too, Doom style centered models would be dope.

PS: I preffer centered crosshair.
I didnt know about this. Judging from the pictures the hud wouldnt bother me but that arm takes up way too much space. Il be playing with lowered crosshair while its like that, its looks way less bothersome than centered with big arm
Shkikri wrote:
For me, the hud elements are fine, I'd just like the bars themselves to be a bit more see through, the view model tho, I love to play with high FOV but low view model FOV, having it placed like when the crosshair is lowered would be prefferable too, Doom style centered models would be dope.

PS: I preffer centered crosshair.
That's actually a good point about how transparent the HUD is. Halo 3 and ODST's health/shield bars are more transparent than Reach's are, which is part of the reason controlling vehicles in ODST doesn't bother me.

I mentioned how in Reach, the shield and health bars move up when using a vehicle or turret to account for the centered position of vehicle/turret crosshair. This also happens in Halo 3, but not in ODST. In ODST, the crosshair still moves up for vehicles, but the health bar stays the same. The transparent helmet overlay surrounding the health bar disappears though, and more importantly, the health bar itself is fairly transparent in ODST, making it seem less in the way than it does in Reach when using centered crosshairs. Perhaps a HUD transparency setting would also be helpful.
A slider would be most welcome, yes. HUD transparency too.
To be honest I wouldn't mind have a Colour Changing HUD setting
To be honest I wouldn't mind have a Colour Changing HUD setting
That's another good idea. I hadn't thought of that.
jmandude15 wrote:
As I'm sure everyone knows, the PC version of Reach will have a centered crosshair by default, with an option to lower it to its original position if you prefer it that way. While this is great for anyone that prefers centered crosshairs, it's clear that the position of the weapon viewmodels, as well as the HUD, were not originally designed with a centered crosshair in mind. I'll elaborate more below, but in short, I would like to see future updates add settings to adjust the way these elements are positioned.

The issue with weapon viewmodels has been brought up before, and 343 has even addressed these concerns (though they haven't yet committed to any solution). But if you're unfamiliar with these complaints, essentially the on-screen weapon that your holding has been raised from it's original position to align with the new position of the crosshair, and obstructs a lot more of the screen because of this. It also just looks a bit awkward and unnatural. Modders have easily fixed this by adjusting the angle and tilt of the viewmodel (see here), but I doubt matchmaking or achievements/stats will work when using mods, so I feel that some kind of official setting to adjust the viewmodel (within reason) is needed. This would also be useful when playing with a high FOV.

As I said though, the viewmodel issue has been discussed before. What I haven't seen any mention of are the problems with the HUD when playing with a centered crosshair; specifically the shield and health bars at the top of the screen. The HUD was originally designed around an uncentered crosshair, and there was a comfortable distance between where you were aiming and where the shield and health bars were located. With the crosshair centered however, it feels too close to the shield and health bars, which in turn feel like they're partially obstructing your view, and decreasing your vertical awareness.

Now you've probably noticed that in the original game (or when playing with the classic crosshair setting), crosshairs are centered when using a vehicle or turret. You may also have noticed that as your crosshair position moves up when entering a vehicle, so do your shield and health bars (as well as the compass above them of course). This still happens when playing with centered crosshairs on the PC version, and the result is that, for me at least, controlling a vehicle feels (or looks; I've only been able to watch footage of the flights) a lot more comfortable than being on foot, even though the crosshair is in the same spot for both.

If there were settings to adjust either the position of individual HUD elements, or the screen margins of the HUD (basically adjusting how far from the center of the screen all of the HUD elements are proportionally to one another, rather than individually) this wouldn't be an issue. Although this sounds like a simple thing to add, I don't actually know how difficult or time consuming either of these settings would be to implement, but they would be hugely appreciated. I should also note that this will likely be an issue for Halo 3, ODST, and 4 as well, and that Halo 3 and ODST will likely be more complicated due to their HUD elements being a part of a transparent helmet overlay.

If you've read all of this, thank you, and I hope I've done a decent job of explaining what my issues are. I'd love to hear what anyone else has to say on this matter, particularly regarding the position of the shield and health bars, as I haven't heard or read any other discussions about it.

EDIT: A setting to adjust the transparency of the HUD would also be helpful.
Viewmodels are so bad with centered crosshair and 343 said this was a " design choice " which leads me to beleive this will stay like this.. well I was gonna grind the mp now imma get done with the campaign and that will prob end there for me the guns are too high too big so annoying and the backface culling on the arms is horrendous.