Skip to main content

Forums / Games / Halo: The Master Chief Collection (PC)

Input Based Matchmaking CrossPlatform, Not Good

OP MagnusFarseeR

1. 1
  2. ...
  3. 2
  4. ...
  5. 3
l FL4ME l wrote:
The question I'd ask is how many players would come back to the game with input based matchmaking added, a huge amount of people left due to controller aimbot/aim assist/ lazy aim whatever people call it now (I believe Summit had a big impact on that). I guess we'll see once it's there. I just want the best for the game and if 343 already decided on adding input based matchmaking, I only hope that the MASSES of pc players who complained about controllers aimbot will actually come back to the game and make up for the split matchmaking.
A lot of people seem to forget that Controller aim assist was OP enough to kill off part of the playerbase, input based matchmaking is a good thing and nobody can convince me otherwise
Absolutely based MKB players dabbing on Controller noobs trying to defend free auto aim kills, on a serious note I would like to add that auto aim is straight up cheating, I still do not understand how it is justified in anyway, the only reasons I have heard so far is that "controller is harder to aim with" when anyone whose used it long enough can aim just as efficiently as a MKB player and "halo was made for controllers" while were playing the pc port
I´m always against separate comunities, but this is different. The first thing i notice on PC (after playing hours on Xbox) is that i was missing more shots. Thats not big deal, just "Git Gud". The problem is that players that use controllers have so much help in aiming that it is ridiculous and this is not a Call Of Duty title where the TTK is low so you just can out come that lack of aim assist. Critical part of Halo is to hit and keep hitting your enemy.

I'm looking forward for this update
Idk about that. Crossplay will definitely help out both PC and Console when it comes to population. A lot of players also left because they didn't want to go up against someone who had an advantage over them, whether thats a guy on MnK sniping or on a banshee or a controller player hitting all dmr/br shots on a controller.

One of the best aspects of halo back then was everyone started on equal ground. Input based matchmaking will help us get back to that.
Keep in mind also the people out there who are just looking for a competitive FPS game to play that is well balanced on PC, that alone will bring the masses. There are still new players to the halo scene I played with someone who called open “left purple” on construct so the game is alive it just needs some TLC in the Competitive scene and that’s coming from someone who loves to fight controller players insane battles so fun. Also If there was slightly less TS in hardcore like 2.5 - 5% less slayer
The crossplay is necessary because it is not normal that in xbox it finds the second games in invasion but in pc it never finds any and not only happens with invasion but with many other game modes
i am gona wanna cross play the universe around intercept my head and make us happy!!
KnightFJS wrote:
l FL4ME l wrote:
The question I'd ask is how many players would come back to the game with input based matchmaking added, a huge amount of people left due to controller aimbot/aim assist/ lazy aim whatever people call it now (I believe Summit had a big impact on that). I guess we'll see once it's there. I just want the best for the game and if 343 already decided on adding input based matchmaking, I only hope that the MASSES of pc players who complained about controllers aimbot will actually come back to the game and make up for the split matchmaking.
Controllers only have aim assist because it is much harder to kill people without it using a controller. Try killing your team mate in Halo 5 to see how hard it is. I think a PC player with a KDR of at least 1.1 or more is gonna be significantly better than a controller player who has a KDR of 1.3 or more. Even with the aim assist, mouse/keyboard is still more precise.
Nope completely wrong.

Keyboard and mouse being more precise is a completely useless point when it's already been proven aim assist is relatively the exact same thing as hacking.
The real reason any of this is a problem is that Halo games are not designed around precision aim. The gameplay is designed from the ground up to be played with controllers, so precision doesn't count for as much. I don't think, for example, that you could outplay KB/M users in a game like counterstrike if you had a controller with halo style auto-aim because precision is everything in that game. But in halo, the extra precision gained by a mouse doesn't have enough gameplay significance to make up for auto-aim on a controller.
KnightFJS wrote:
l FL4ME l wrote:
Controllers only have aim assist because it is much harder to kill people without it using a controller. Try killing your team mate in Halo 5 to see how hard it is. I think a PC player with a KDR of at least 1.1 or more is gonna be significantly better than a controller player who has a KDR of 1.3 or more. Even with the aim assist, mouse/keyboard is still more precise.
Nope completely wrong.

Keyboard and mouse being more precise is a completely useless point when it's already been proven aim assist is relatively the exact same thing as hacking.
The real reason any of this is a problem is that Halo games are not designed around precision aim. The gameplay is designed from the ground up to be played with controllers, so precision doesn't count for as much. I don't think, for example, that you could outplay KB/M users in a game like counterstrike if you had a controller with halo style auto-aim because precision is everything in that game. But in halo, the extra precision gained by a mouse doesn't have enough gameplay significance to make up for auto-aim on a controller.
I agree with this. Pick up a sniper and even without the aim assist, you can put up a good fight against a controller player if you’re good. Switch to the BR and start strafing against a good player on controller and you’ve got no chance. It’s the strafing man, the aim assist keeps you locked on and it makes all the difference.

Moden Warfare/Warzone does a good job balancing, but like you said with counter strike, it’s not Halo. Halo is literally designed for controllers.
People who excessively complain about controller granting players a massive advantage over others bug me. It does not grant that much of an advantage over others. In fact MKB is the better option for snipers anyway, I find myself getting owned in Team Snipers. Don't get destroyed on Team Slayer and then chalk it up to the fact that someone had controller.

Whether I'm on controller or on MKB, you're getting 4 shot. Stop looking for reasons to explain why you're not -Yoink-.
load game with m and kb only playlist, game starts, xbox paddle startup noises. profit
People who excessively complain about controller granting players a massive advantage over others bug me. It does not grant that much of an advantage over others.
"It's only a LITTLE bit of a cheat."
I suppose then you wouldn't object to MKB players getting 25% more shields/health, since it's not MUCH of an advantage.
RMC1138 wrote:
People who excessively complain about controller granting players a massive advantage over others bug me. It does not grant that much of an advantage over others.
I suppose then you wouldn't object to MKB players getting 25% more shields/health, since it's not MUCH of an advantage.
Scratch what I said. It grants no advantage whatsoever. The extremely minimal aim assist is plugged in to help below-average players keep up CS aim on MKB.
Once again, just people looking for another thing to complain about.
Having the option to switch to only look for people playing mouse/keyboard or controller based on which input you are using will divide the population too much and make matchmaking times much longer. As you probably know, matchmaking times are significantly longer on PC, likely due to less people playing online.

If PC players had the option to play controller with console players it would significantly decrease the population for mouse/keyboard. I think the vast majority of PC players prefer playing with mouse and keyboard so I think only console players should have the option to have input based matchmaking, not PC players.

With Halo having keyboard and mouse support for console, it will increase the population who will play with PC players.
This is a simple problem 343 could easily fix but mouse/KB elitism and some controller users crying that they cant aim without aim assist scares 343 away from what they should be doing.

The common sense and fair thing to do is remove input based matchmaking and mix controller and mouse/KB users together in the same pool. Then REMOVE Aim Assist entirely from Multiplayer but give a toggle ON/OFF for Single player for people with disabilities.

I play with a controller on PC with games like BF4 and the older CoD's like Black ops 1 that do have native controller support but do not have any Aim Assistance or any way to turn it on. On these games i play with nearly maxed sensitivity, aiming and playing competitively with other PC players that use Mouse/KB just fine.

Developers are scared to change the status quo, back in the day 20 years ago yes using a N64 controller in an FPS game was very difficult without aim assistance but this is the year 2020 now and it is very simple to aim accurately and quickly with a modern controller.

The game should have crossplatform play, REMOVE input based matchmaking and REMOVE Aim Assist from MP. That is the fair and right thing to do.
RMC1138 wrote:
The extremely minimal aim assist
The lies people tell themselves oh my

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XbWn2B3VGuU&t=13s
This post has been edited by a moderator. Please refrain from making non-constructive posts.
*Original post. Click at your own discretion.
Spoiler:
Show
RMC1138 wrote:
Scratch what I said. It grants no advantage whatsoever. The extremely minimal aim assist is plugged in to help below-average players keep up CS aim on MKB.
"It's just a really, REALLY little bit of a cheat."
Riddle me this: Why didn't the *original* Halo CE port to PC also not have aim assist? Or Halo 2 Vista (which had controller support)? Or about a decade and a half of CoD's. Or CSGo. Or just about every competitive FPS on PC up until 2019 opening the floodgates to whitelisted hacks.
I never understood the complaint on ez aim. On k&B I have vastly more mobility than a controller ever will. So to make up for it, controller gets a crutch.
All my friends stopped playing because they were getting stomped by controller players, and didn't feel like they were playing on a fair playing field. It's a straight up no-go unless we are doing campaign.
RMC1138 wrote:
RMC1138 wrote:
"It's just a really, REALLY little bit of a cheat."
Riddle me this: Why didn't the *original* Halo CE port to PC also not have aim assist? Or Halo 2 Vista (which had controller support)? Or about a decade and a half of CoD's. Or CSGo. Or just about every competitive FPS on PC up until 2019 opening the floodgates to whitelisted hacks.
What? Why would you ever play CSGO with a controller? Or COD with a controller on PC?

As far as shooters on consoles go where you only play with other controller users, there is no aim assist because there's no need to balance a controller with joysticks to the crazy accuracy and versatility that a mouse and keyboard offers.
  1. 1
  2. ...
  3. 2
  4. ...
  5. 3