Skip to main content

Forums / Games / Halo: The Master Chief Collection (PC)

Keyboard and mouse feedback thread(Unofficial)

OP IMCN112

1. 1
  2. ...
  3. ...
  4. 2
IMCN112 wrote:
DmPronin wrote:
KBM definitely feels nice for campaign, very natural. CE and 2 were already built for KBM and Reach feels alright. But I feel like I'm at a huge disadvantage in multiplayer with KBM. If KBM and controllers are the same, it doesn't feel like it at all.
Most controller player are using lower sensitive(1-5) to make sure they won't missing shots in combat. For KBM, a lower DPI(400-600) + a little bit higher sensitive(I'm using 4) maybe is the best. Back to bullet magnetic, I'm sure KBM & controller share the same level & behavior BM, but KBM is not controller, same BM may let KBM user get disadvantage. Example, your crosshair is on the enemy head, you may think"I can get headshot right?", but BM will think"no, you are not shotting head, It's enemy chest". That's why I don't think same BM level & behavior will make KBM feels better, gaming mouse is build for accuracy, if my crosshair on enemy head, it should be headshot, just it.
P.S. maybe hitbox is also a problem?
One of the worst things I've seen is people using programs to make the game think their KB+M is a controller and then getting the aim assist values for a controller. This is some sort of sick joke that needs to be fixed. The only game that feel fair is CE (i'm not counting halo 2 since its broken right now) since that doesn't change a whole lot.
Yeah, that's pretty brazen cheating.
Could we get Toggle Binds optionally? I don't want to hold a key down for every action. This is how Legacy Halo 2 Vista acted, and it was far better imo.
Please don't post multiple time in a row. If you need to add more information or quote other users, you can edit your last post. Thanks
Things makes me hard to aim:

H2C:
H2C crosshair(for BR & Carbine etc.) is way too big, I can't get accuracy view in long range gunfight(hard to find enemy)
When crosshair is not red, I can't hit shots well(Maybe it's a bullet registration issue)
When enemy is moveing, I can't hit shots well(even lead shots, but it's may a bullet registration issue)
My advice/hope feature:

A good crosshair customize(at least crosshair size change)
KBM need a solid/good bullet magnetism like HR/H2A
A little bit auto-aim may help KBM player tracking enemy.

H2C:
H2C crosshair(for BR & Carbine etc.) is way too big, I can't get accuracy view in long range gunfight(hard to find enemy)
When crosshair is not red, I can't hit shots well(Maybe it's a bullet registration issue)
When enemy is moveing, I can't hit shots well(even lead shots, but it's may a bullet registration issue)
My advice/hope feature:

thats the problem with this mcc series. A pc shooter should not have any red crosshair lock on feature that curves your bullets while using a keyboard and mouse. Thats so unsatisfying trash, and diminishes the real skill potential
I think a huge issue is how OP controller is on PC with higher frames which makes it even harder to play when M&K feels like you are floating on a cloud. Maybe they need to test out having aim assist on mouse for a game like halo maybe? it’s really sweaty and difficult to hit all those shots with halos movement and verticality.
Bahzze wrote:
I think a huge issue is how OP controller is on PC with higher frames which makes it even harder to play when M&K feels like you are floating on a cloud. Maybe they need to test out having aim assist on mouse for a game like halo maybe? it’s really sweaty and difficult to hit all those shots with halos movement and verticality.
I think this is caused by v-sync(off) option. On console, we can't turn off v-sync, I'm sure v-sync off reduce the controller's input lag. But back in auto-aim, I agree with you, a little bit auto-aim for KBM will help PC player tracking enemy in close range.

H2C:
My advice/hope feature:

But the best way to fix H2C crosshair(for BR & Carbine etc.) is way too big need to strengthen bullet magnetism and auto-aim just a little,you shoud try to use KBM and Mouse to play H2C before you quote. That doesn‘t means so unsatisfying trash,that's KBM and Mouse users shoubld have.
As u can see my recent matches serves record, that's all I did by using KBM and Mouse to play,If I played by controller that will be a better KDA like before.
I don't know why this needs to be said but if they increase aim assist in anyway on Mouse then I'm permanently uninstalling Multiplayer. I can already go play Destiny 2 if I want a shooter where aim is barely a mechanic. MCC is already half way there with the insane bullet magnetism I have on Mouse.

But to stay on topic, here's what needs to be done to properly support Mouse. Simple crosshair options, View model options, and the ability to turn off my own aim assist. Also Reach and H2A need to have their ghosting issues solved when you play at a decent framerate.
I think one of the Problems for Halo on PC is that playing the Game with Controller and playing it with mouse feels like 2 seperate Games, adding a small aim assist to make it feel like when u play it with controller so we have a somewhat similiar experience. I would like to see a 343 doing testing in this direction.
Turitz wrote:
I think one of the Problems for Halo on PC is that playing the Game with Controller and playing it with mouse feels like 2 seperate Games, adding a small aim assist to make it feel like when u play it with controller so we have a somewhat similiar experience. I would like to see a 343 doing testing in this direction.
One of the best features of a mouse is having consistence and freedom with aiming, while also keeping a skill gap with personal accuracy. If you take that out with aim assist, then there's no reason to use one. High aim assistance may provide any advantages you want, but there are many encounters where you have no actual decision in targets, and that is not acceptable, even for controller players. Sticky aim is even more of an issue, as sometimes the severe decreasement in speed can make you unable to get a headshot in time in an enemy that is jumping or above you.

I believe people also need to realize that aiming in Halo is just another pillar on the structure. Learn maps key positions, the way guns work and their ranges, how to use the scenary elements and design in your favour, when to hide and when to keep fighting while strafing, where power weapons and power ups are. Once you control of that and bring it to the board, input device will be a mere choice whether you want more speed, consistence and freedom, or easier aiming.

On topic, though:

My advice/hope feature:
- For input delay issues on certain hardware, I recommend enabling "mouse smoothing".
- Change to a sensitivity you're comfortable with, it should be a middle point between speed and accuracy. That said, I'd be keen on more granularity to adjust it.
- Centered crosshair so that reticle is in the center of the screen. However, it needs some improvements in terms of general visibility.
- Input based matchmaking for those who just want to get people with the same input device for balance purposes, and to skip crossplay in case you don't desire it.

Things that make it hard to aim:
- Heavy bloom (in the case of mouse) or unproperly scaled crosshairs. However, the small red dot that appears when you're about to headshot an enemy is really useful, and I'm against crosshair adjustments because it would make some reticles for precision weapons compete with the sniper too much, and make them too useful and annoying for long range. If anything, scale the entire HUD in H2C or make it dependent on FOV.
- Bullet magnetism for plasma weapons and vehicles like the Ghost (this applies to both input devices, mouse and gamepad). They usually curve to their target and eventually lost its path, even if you're aiming properly a few steps away from a walking player.
There seems to be this persistent bug where the keyboard input in Halo: CE feels like its essentially buttonmashing. I press the weaponswitch or zoom button and it seems like it takes the input so fast that nothing happens. This is especially noticeable when attempting to zoom using the sniper rifle. I often have to hit the zoom button half a dozen times to get it to zoom correctly.

Also the keybindings seem utterly and completely broken. Despite having one key set to be the 'use' key, other keys seem to be the 'use' key.
For example, I have 'A' set to 'use' and 'C' set to 'crouch', but when I attempt to pick up an enemy weapon, I have to press the crouch key because the use key does nothing.

This is all in the campaign, btw. It's completely impossible to even consider multiplayer when the keyboard input is so broken.
I would like to address the zoom mechanic. I not sure if anyone else feels the way I do but I just wanted to give my feedback.The current zoom mechanic feels like a hybrid of both "click" and "hold" to zoom.
-if you Click right mouse the zoom stayed zoomed in until you right click again to zoom out, but also if you Hold right click for more than well say 1 second to make it a round number and release right click after hold it unzoomed scopes.I'm not a fan of this.I know in halo reach for PC had a toggle for this to have it on "click" or 'Hold" and I prefer Hold and I had another key bind for the 2x zoom.

I'm just not having to much fun in the game anymore. I do like to use sniper and I zoom in with BR alot. I would just like them to think of an option where you can have the current state of the zoom be an opt-in or you can switch to "Hold" or "Click" I think having the 3 options to chose from would allow the players to be more conformable to their play styles

Thank you, to whoever read my feedback
That feeling when Halo Custom Edition, a game released in 2003 has better mouse and keyboard input than a Halo game released 16 years later 😂😂😂

MCC Mouse Aiming is a joke, this game is pretty much dead and that's very unfortunate.
Weird issue I've ran into in MCC Pc.
Boot into game, discover my keybinds have been reset mid-game, so I go to change them back. When I back thru the menus after changing, it tells me that there are keys left unbound. Double-checked controls for each installment so far (Reach, CE, 2) and see no unbound keys. Back out again to the same error notification that there are unbound keys. Only options I have are to go back to settings or to revert to default controls.
Anyone else have this issue too?
BennyFX32 wrote:
Boot into game, discover my keybinds have been reset mid-game, so I go to change them back. When I back thru the menus after changing, it tells me that there are keys left unbound. Double-checked controls for each installment so far (Reach, CE, 2) and see no unbound keys. Back out again to the same error notification that there are unbound keys. Only options I have are to go back to settings or to revert to default controls.
havent had that issue. I'm just cant wrap my head around why they started out the launch of reach with the mouse being able to toggle between hold and click and once CE came out just removed and had this dumb hybrid and doesnt allow you to change for mouse players. and im not even getting into the the controller aim-assist (played one game with a controller and i did play way better and i feel a bit sad cause I want to play KBM but i see why people play only controller) just want my zoom in on mouse back because i still played good against controllers. I feel like alot of people just quit because of all this.
Kavdizzle wrote:
BennyFX32 wrote:
havent had that issue. I'm just cant wrap my head around why they started out the launch of reach with the mouse being able to toggle between hold and click and once CE came out just removed and had this dumb hybrid and doesnt allow you to change for mouse players. and im not even getting into the the controller aim-assist (played one game with a controller and i did play way better and i feel a bit sad cause I want to play KBM but i see why people play only controller) just want my zoom in on mouse back because i still played good against controllers. I feel like alot of people just quit because of all this.
I can see why that would be upsetting to players. However, I'm playing because I love the Halo series, so some control scheme bugs won't stop me, but it's something for the devs to work on.
Side note on my first post, I waited a while then validated the game files thru the steam game properties, let that run, and the issue seems to be fixed for me.
There’s still mouse and keyboard input delay in Halo CE.

Halo Custom Edition (released 17 years ago in 2003) has much better mouse and keyboard controls. It’s actually on par with other major FPS games like CSGO in terms of input delay and raw input.

Farns and 343 have no idea how to port a console game to PC with proper MKB controls. H5 Forge, Reach PC and HCEA all have the same issues. Input delay, floaty, sluggish, dragging through mud type feeling. Whatever you want to call it.

When they developed H5 Forge, they had console players test MKB controls and said it was fine (It’s fine when you’re use to playing on a controller all of your life at 30 FPS). But to anyone that has played a competitive shooter, it feels awful. So instead of scrapping that and starting over, they doubled down and tried fixing something that is inherently broken (their method to porting console controls to MKB).

They need to hire a team that knows how to port console games to PC with proper MKB controls. I just hope to god they don’t have the same blue print for infinite.
  1. 1
  2. ...
  3. ...
  4. 2