Forums / Games / Halo: The Master Chief Collection (PC)

Lets be honest. Reach on PC isn't coming this year

OP Nova Spartan X

1. 1
  2. ...
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. ...
  6. 5
At the very least that's abundantly clear in my view.

I'm still incredibly thrilled that we're finally going to get MCC on PC but I can't say the waiting has been enjoyable. Yes, yes "It will release when ready" and "I'd rather them take their time than rush out another broken game"and I agree with those entirely, but I think most of us at least expected progress to move a bit faster than it has. With how long it took them to get the second flight out after a month delay and how it seems like many are having issues with it I can't imagine the next flight will be out any time soon and it's been alluded to that there will be more flights after the PvP flights.

At this rate, I can't imagine it releasing this year. It seems incredibly unlikely. That may come off as a complaint but I don't mean for it too, as long as it works but still. I'm gonna suggest that those who are waiting to try and forget for awhile and find another game to occupy your time if you aren't already and check back every once and awhile to help pass the time. What do you all think? Is it not coming this year probably an accurate guess?
I've been playing the current FireFlight and it seems like it's nearly there honestly.

I'm surprised as well it's taken this long for a more open testing phase to start though like I think we all expected it sometime after the initial announcements with an August release maybe. I haven't been keeping up with the news but they probably got hit hard with some sudden roadblocks that come with porting and all that and it was announced earlier than we assumed.

I think though after experiencing it now and seeing it run nearly perfectly even on my old computer setup (the only issue is AI opponents seem to react erratically and even slide around a lot due to connection issues, which was to be expected really from an alpha?? beta??? where are we right now again with this??? I should look into it already), I can see it being released sometime in the fall if this is all an indication of how far they've come.

But also game development is crazy you never know what could happen next with these kind of things.
I 100% agree
I've been playing the current FireFlight and it seems like it's nearly there honestly.

I'm surprised as well it's taken this long for a more open testing phase to start though like I think we all expected it sometime after the initial announcements with an August release maybe. I haven't been keeping up with the news but they probably got hit hard with some sudden roadblocks that come with porting and all that and it was announced earlier than we assumed.

I've been seeing a lot of threads popping up mentioning how they can't even launch the flight and a bunch of other issues. That tells me they've got some work to do lol.

Also yeah I guessed initially Reach would be released by now in August too and the worst case scenario being that they'd drag it out to Reach's 9th Birthday but that seems to have been a best case scenario at this point instead lol.
If it's any consolation I've done tons of alpha/beta tests for PC games now and having it not even work at first for most people when it opens up to a broader reach is normal. Half the reason these tests go on is to just spread it across different setups to tinker around until it works on a wider net of machines.

I didn't even expect the game to actually work on my GTX 750 card with only 8 GB of ram that Google Chrome is stealing half of while I have ten tabs open in the background of various shows I started to rewatch out of nowhere because I've lost control of my life where was I oh yeah it surprisingly works perfectly with all that going on in the background.
It was something like 108 days from the march announcement to the first PC flight. 57 days from Flight 1 to Flight 2. I expect the PC PvP flight to be in Mid October.

Xbox PvP Flight? Unsure. Perhaps they have a seperate team preparing that in Parallel? And how far along is Xbox compared to PC?

Hopefully with the amount of time this is taking we'll actually get a proper triple-A experience on PC. But the fact that we're not even getting forge on release is weird. I feel like Microsoft isn't funding this project well enough.

I'm still incredibly thrilled that we're finally going to get MCC on PC but I can't say the waiting has been enjoyable. Yes, yes "It will release when ready" and "I'd rather them take their time than rush out another broken game"and I agree with those entirely, but I think most of us at least expected progress to move a bit faster than it has. With how long it took them to get the second flight out after a month delay and how it seems like many are having issues with it I can't imagine the next flight will be out any time soon and it's been alluded to that there will be more flights after the PvP flights.

At this rate, I can't imagine it releasing this year. It seems incredibly unlikely. That may come off as a complaint but I don't mean for it too, as long as it works but still. I'm gonna suggest that those who are waiting to try and forget for awhile and find another game to occupy your time if you aren't already and check back every once and awhile to help pass the time. What do you all think? Is it not coming this year probably an accurate guess?
Well as they promised, they promised to get ALL of the MCC games to PC by the end of 2019.

my prediction is that reach will be on PC in less than a month,
Halo 2 and halo CE will be much easier ports due to the fact they are already on PC, all they really have to do is the anniversary graphics for both.

Halo 3 was already ported to PC but never released, so they could use assets from that to add halo 3 to MCC.

Halo 3 ODST and Halo 4 will be way more quicker than reach due to the fact that they mostly took all this time to make the base game “polished”

I think halo reach is going to be out in under 2 weeks, I highly doubt it would take another 2 months because at the rate they are going right now MCC won’t be done for another 3-4 years and that’s obviously not going to happen because they promised to get all the games in before the end of 2019.

They probably spent all this time with the base game. However I’ll be honest with you, its been almost 9 months for a triple A developer to port 1 single game to PC. I’m guessing they dedicated 95% of all their assets to halo infinite. I understand “when it’s done it’s done” but dang.
WillyMcFly wrote:
Well as they promised, they promised to get ALL of the MCC games to PC by the end of 2019.
Splash Damage sent out a newsletter stating "Halo: Reach is coming first, with the rest of the titles scheduled throughout the year" HOWEVER this was almost immediately shot down by 343, so it shouldn't be considered true.
It wasn't a smart claim to make (potentially the biggest understatement of my life, that one) but you shouldn't get your hopes up for the entire MCC this year.
WillyMcFly wrote:
Splash Damage sent out a newsletter stating "Halo: Reach is coming first, with the rest of the titles scheduled throughout the year" HOWEVER this was almost immediately shot down by 343, so it shouldn't be considered true.
I agree it wasn't a smart move (potentially the biggest understatement I've ever made), but you shouldn't get your hopes up for the entire MCC this year.
Wait really? They went back on their word or that’s just a prediction?

Well if that’s true, at the rate reach is going I don’t expect to see the whole MCC collection by 2022

Edit : did a quick calculation and found out of reach came out on September 1st and it takes 9 months to port all the games then we won’t be seeing the full collection for another 4 years :/
WillyMcFly wrote:
WillyMcFly wrote:
I agree it wasn't a smart move (potentially the biggest understatement I've ever made), but you shouldn't get your hopes up for the entire MCC this year.

Well if that’s true, at the rate reach is going I don’t expect to see the whole MCC collection by 2022
It was Splash Damage miss-communicating. I doubt there was ever any intention to release all 6 games this year.
WillyMcFly wrote:
WillyMcFly wrote:

It wasn't 343's word they went back on—it was Splash Damage's.
Someone jumped the gun with ambitious (inevitably mis)information, and said misinformation has spread quite a bit.
I wasn't in the writing room for that newsletter so whether it was down to bad communication or simply poorly-placed optimism I really can't say, but the simple fact is that statement has been debunked.
WillyMcFly wrote:
WillyMcFly wrote:

Edit : did a quick calculation and found out of reach came out on September 1st and it takes 9 months to port all the games then we won’t be seeing the full collection for another 4 years :/
They'll probably pick up the pace after Reach since they're kind of learning as their going and the other games may not take as much.
WillyMcFly wrote:
WillyMcFly wrote:
WillyMcFly wrote:
WillyMcFly wrote:
WillyMcFly wrote:
WillyMcFly wrote:
WillyMcFly wrote:
WillyMcFly wrote:

They'll probably pick up the pace after Reach since they're kind of learning as their going and the other games may not take as much.

It wasn't 343's word they went back on—it was Splash Damage's.
Someone jumped the gun with ambitious (inevitably mis)information, and said misinformation has spread quite a bit.
WillyMcFly wrote:
WillyMcFly wrote:

It was Splash Damage miss-communicating. I doubt there was ever any intention to release all 6 games this year.
Welp :/
Guess we wait 4 years right? Or idk.
pretty disappointed
I like to think it will be before this year is over, but you just never know what they're going to run into. The best case scenario is the Xbox flight will be next month and then the PC multiplayer flight will be later in the same month or the month after. If I had to make a prediction, I would say mid November we could be looking at the release. I think they're doing a good job with such a small team assigned to it, their biggest error was announcing it so early leading the impression it's almost ready and it will be rolling out in the following 2 or 3 months but that's not down to the development side. I would say we should still be looking at 2019 but expectations can lead to disappointment so it's not a bad thing to think 2020.
I've alpha and beta tested a good number of games now, and i can say that the progress being displayed may not look great to inexperienced people but they are making good progress. While i very much doubt the first release will be 100% bug free, i can well imagine the game coming out before the end of 2019 or at the very least being in a public beta state before that time unless there are extreme issues that crop up during the Flight process.

Its not like they are making a full game from scratch. Most of the major work is finished, now its down to making sure the game is playable on the widest set of hardware possible while adding in the few minor systems and changes that were promised to come with the PC version.

Remember: the Flights are more of a closed Alpha than anything else. They are taking a game that was designed to run on very specific hardware and making it run on literally ENDLESS combinations of consumer systems. That means that a lot of the original game's extra hacky BS and workarounds that were used to get it out on time for consoles or that were patched in for bug fixing/performance sake wont specifically work universally as they did on the original hardware. It will take some time and lots of talks with rubber ducks, but im confident the game will come.

Pretty much this, I'd rather spend my time and joy playing, for example, Doom Eternal, than waiting for something that won't release sooner just because I'm hyped.
I feel like Reach will be ready by late September or early October.
It will most likely be out before holiday season. I would guess sometime late September - early November. That would be inside their normal release window for every other halo game. I would also guess they are going to shoot for a release before the new call of duty and gears games come out so that those releases don't overshadow Reach's release. Most likely after the cod open beta. My prediction is the week after the cod release. If they can't hit that mark then it will be early November after cod releases and the hype has died down.

As far as future halos, they've already said in a weekly, reach is laying the ground work for all the others. Once reach is done, the majority of the work for the other will also be done which will significantly speed up development times for all the following games in MCC.
Well, Splash Damage wasnt exactly the best choice of partners for PC, but thats just my opinion (and quite a few other DIrty Bomb players' opinions). I would be absolutely shocked to see Reach released in a month, as it is in a terrible state currently. 10,000 players, and a large amount cant even play. Its insane then to say they are ready to handle the potential million players in a month. The development for this has been incredibly disappointing, to say the least, and the MCC should have had the entire studio working on it to get it out, not alongside Infinite, because I bet you that assets are being pulled back and forth from MCC to Infinite development, and throwing another studio like SD in there, its probably quite messy. Here's to hoping we see Reach by the end of the year, in acceptable state of performance for the many, many players it will be seeing Day 1 of launch.
"ITs done when its done" Don't rush the devs and let them do their work. Just be glad we are getting halo on PC again since we didn't have a proper port over since the amazing CE port.
  1. 1
  2. ...
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. ...
  6. 5