Forums / Games / Halo: The Master Chief Collection (PC)

Lets be honest. Reach on PC isn't coming this year

OP Nova Spartan X

1. 1
  2. ...
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. 4
  6. 5
  7. ...
  8. 13
we still have 4 months. i shall remain hopeful
Best to assume the worst rather than get your hopes up so that if that isn't the case you won't be disappointed but if it is you'll be that much happier.
motonack wrote:
WillyMcFly wrote:
At the very least that's abundantly clear in my view.

I'm still incredibly thrilled that we're finally going to get MCC on PC but I can't say the waiting has been enjoyable. Yes, yes "It will release when ready" and "I'd rather them take their time than rush out another broken game"and I agree with those entirely, but I think most of us at least expected progress to move a bit faster than it has. With how long it took them to get the second flight out after a month delay and how it seems like many are having issues with it I can't imagine the next flight will be out any time soon and it's been alluded to that there will be more flights after the PvP flights.

At this rate, I can't imagine it releasing this year. It seems incredibly unlikely. That may come off as a complaint but I don't mean for it too, as long as it works but still. I'm gonna suggest that those who are waiting to try and forget for awhile and find another game to occupy your time if you aren't already and check back every once and awhile to help pass the time. What do you all think? Is it not coming this year probably an accurate guess?
Well as they promised, they promised to get ALL of the MCC games to PC by the end of 2019.

my prediction is that reach will be on PC in less than a month,
Halo 2 and halo CE will be much easier ports due to the fact they are already on PC, all they really have to do is the anniversary graphics for both.

Halo 3 was already ported to PC but never released, so they could use assets from that to add halo 3 to MCC.

Halo 3 ODST and Halo 4 will be way more quicker than reach due to the fact that they mostly took all this time to make the base game “polished”

I think halo reach is going to be out in under 2 weeks, I highly doubt it would take another 2 months because at the rate they are going right now MCC won’t be done for another 3-4 years and that’s obviously not going to happen because they promised to get all the games in before the end of 2019.

They probably spent all this time with the base game. However I’ll be honest with you, its been almost 9 months for a triple A developer to port 1 single game to PC. I’m guessing they dedicated 95% of all their assets to halo infinite. I understand “when it’s done it’s done” but dang.
Found the guy that's never coded a thing in their life.
Umm yes I have, I’ve done java, C#, HTML, CSS, and JavaScript. I’ve made a website using Adobe Dream Weaver, and some mini games with Unity and Eclipse java IDE. Please do not assume things about people you don’t know on the internet, if you mean that I’ve never worked on a massive coding project or I’ve never been on a programming team then no I have not.

Dont assume dude.
"ITs done when its done" Don't rush the devs and let them do their work. Just be glad we are getting halo on PC again since we didn't have a proper port over since the amazing CE port.
ce pc port was -Yoink- and broken... what you mean
likely, but even then Forge won't be ready till after the release.
Although it is too late to forge anything in Reach now.
WillyMcFly wrote:
motonack wrote:
Umm yes I have, I’ve done java, C#, HTML, CSS, and JavaScript. I’ve made a website using Adobe Dream Weaver, and some mini games with Unity and Eclipse java IDE. Please do not assume things about people you don’t know on the internet, if you mean that I’ve never worked on a massive coding project or I’ve never been on a programming team then no I have not.

Dont assume dude.
I'm guesisng that was his point. Until you've worked on something of this scale, you have no idea what types of things you run into. You will, inevitably and frequently, run into things you had no way of knowing to expect.

As an example, a few years ago I wrote a very, very simple CSV to TSV conversion utility in C as part of a much larger project. I had it done and compiled within 10 minutes or so and worked like a charm... until converting a particularly large file (somewhere in the realm of several gigabytes). It had no problem converting other extremely large files, but this one in particular resulted in a completely screwed up structure that could not be used in the database we were populating. After several hours of poring through hundreds of thousands of lines of text, I found the issue came down to a single very strange carriage return character that showed as a regular return in most text editors, but was being interpereted differently by the utility.

That's the type of thing that happens on projects like these. A 10 or 15 minute job can easily consume an entire day.

If you don't know what they're dealing with, don't assume, dude.
As an example, a few years ago I wrote a very, very simple CSV to TSV conversion utility in C as part of a much larger project. I had it done and compiled within 10 minutes or so and worked like a charm... until converting a particularly large file (somewhere in the realm of several gigabytes). It had no problem converting other extremely large files, but this one in particular resulted in a completely screwed up structure that could not be used in the database we were populating. After several hours of poring through hundreds of thousands of lines of text, I found the issue came down to a single very strange carriage return character that showed as a regular return in most text editors, but was being interpereted differently by the utility.

That's the type of thing that happens on projects like these. A 10 or 15 minute job can easily consume an entire day.
Too true, especially for projects like the MCC to PC port which involve developers having to first comprehend decades-old codebases written by other people in outdated coding styles. I've had my fair share of terrible experiences trying to work on legacy apps (as I imagine you likely have), and it's rarely simple. Trying to explain this concept to non-devs is difficult, although some do understand.

For these and other reasons, committing to release dates as a developer is rarely a good idea, and often just leads to people getting angry because they don't understand why you couldn't just "get it done."
TomCat025 wrote:

Too true, especially for projects like the MCC to PC port which involve developers having to first comprehend decades-old codebases written by other people in outdated coding styles. I've had my fair share of terrible experiences trying to work on legacy apps (as I imagine you likely have), and it's rarely simple. Trying to explain this concept to non-devs is difficult, although some do understand.

For these and other reasons, committing to release dates as a developer is rarely a good idea, and often just leads to people getting angry because they don't understand why you couldn't just "get it done."
Not a dev guy at all but your last sentence I concur with completely. While I am not at the place to say it isn't coming this year I also wouldn't be TOO surprised. If anything I would be willing to bet the Xbox version is the bigger hold up then PC? (assuming they plan to release them at the same time?)

I also however wouldn't be shocked if we got some kind holiday release for the buzz of the season. Regardless keeping high hopes with an open hand is probably wise.
i am very exited but also kinda scared about the launch of reach, once it'll pop up.
simply because there are people with too high hopes that might have a terrible influence.
but hope we'll get something this year, but the possibility of it launching next year is big.

i'd say if not this year, maybe somewhere in june next year.
(that's just a simple prediction of info i read, and knowing they want the best possible product for release.)
Like I said in my one of my previous posts, once reach is out, the other games should be less longer coming out. Right now with Reach, we haven't heard any recent announcements from splash or 343 other than the firefight feauture. It's a battle trying to get through Reach. The more bugs they run into, the longer it will take for it to be available.
WillyMcFly wrote:
motonack wrote:

Dont assume dude.
I'm guesisng that was his point. Until you've worked on something of this scale, you have no idea what types of things you run into. You will, inevitably and frequently, run into things you had no way of knowing to expect.

If you don't know what they're dealing with, don't assume, dude.
Never mind the fact that they are porting a bunch of old games that were designed for a console that ran on IBM's PowerPC architecture, not x86 - AND they are trying to port them all together into a single coherent launcher, that has to seamlessly be able to handle about 6 different game engines. AND they are trying to program in stuff like FOV sliders, into a code base that's a decade old.

Some people seem to think "porting" a game to PC is as simple as recompiling it for Windows.
I've been seeing a lot of under exaggerations and over exaggerations from the comments... We definitely aren't getting the entire collection this year, this entire process takes way more time than that. But even with the larger bugs they bumped into in the FireFlight, I'd say they're going at a very impressive rate. If you just watch HiddenXperia's gameplay video you can see that the gameplay is crisp, smooth, and surprisingly well done overall. Once they iron out all the big bugs, their last hurtle is probably matchmaking. I'm no game dev but especially considering that people like Gamecheat have found even more content already done that 343 just hasn't shown us yet, I feel just about positive that we're getting at least Reach by the end of the year, if I were to take a guess I'd say October. As for the other games, like others in this thread have said, the wait time's just gonna be downhill from Reach. Not only is this game their first time working with all of this porting and readjusting and stuff, but Reach is also one of the higher-detail games in the collection, making all of the others much easier in comparison.
I've been seeing a lot of under exaggerations and over exaggerations from the comments... We definitely aren't getting the entire collection this year, this entire process takes way more time than that. But even with the larger bugs they bumped into in the FireFlight, I'd say they're going at a very impressive rate. If you just watch HiddenXperia's gameplay video you can see that the gameplay is crisp, smooth, and surprisingly well done overall. Once they iron out all the big bugs, their last hurtle is probably matchmaking. I'm no game dev but especially considering that people like Gamecheat have found even more content already done that 343 just hasn't shown us yet, I feel just about positive that we're getting at least Reach by the end of the year, if I were to take a guess I'd say October. As for the other games, like others in this thread have said, the wait time's just gonna be downhill from Reach. Not only is this game their first time working with all of this porting and readjusting and stuff, but Reach is also one of the higher-detail games in the collection, making all of the others much easier in comparison.
Honestly, if the MCC PC port got pushed into early 2020, I suspect it'll have more to do with the Xbox One port of Reach not being ready - not the PC one. Those memory limitations they are facing with Reach, and integrating the Unreal engine for armor customization, sound potentially thorny. And I believe they've said they won't launch Reach for MCC until both versions are ready to go simultaneously.

Getting it working on PC just requires putting in the work, because it doesn't have a fixed spec like the consoles do. Of course, if the PC version were ready, there's nothing to say they couldn't do some extensive beta "flights" of it, while they are waiting for the console port to catch up.
I prefer if it comes in 2020. 343 needs time and flight sistem is perfect in my opinion.
Honestly, if the MCC PC port got pushed into early 2020, I suspect it'll have more to do with the Xbox One port of Reach not being ready - not the PC one. Those memory limitations they are facing with Reach, and integrating the Unreal engine for armor customization, sound potentially thorny. And I believe they've said they won't launch Reach for MCC until both versions are ready to go simultaneously.

Getting it working on PC just requires putting in the work, because it doesn't have a fixed spec like the consoles do. Of course, if the PC version were ready, there's nothing to say they couldn't do some extensive beta "flights" of it, while they are waiting for the console port to catch up.
I don't think they would push back PC for the Xbox release, otherwise they would of given Xbox a flight by now. I'm expecting PC to come out first then Xbox a few months later. If you have a source for that quote though I'd change my mind.
Like I said in my one of my previous posts, once reach is out, the other games should be less longer coming out.
This is true in multiple ways. Once we actually have a base for the MCC and a Halo game to play regardless of whether it's a favorite or not, we'll have a Halo to play on PC which will make the wait feel much quicker and the process will become quicker because of what they learned while porting Reach and the other games may not be as complicated as Reach.

The only thing is I doubt we're getting Reach this year so it's still going to be some waiting for quite a while lol. Which is fine as long as it works but still.
Like I said in my one of my previous posts, once reach is out, the other games should be less longer coming out.
This is true in multiple ways. Once we actually have a base for the MCC and a Halo game to play regardless of whether it's a favorite or not, we'll have a Halo to play on PC which will make the wait feel much quicker and the process will become quicker because of what they learned while porting Reach and the other games may not be as complicated as Reach.

The only thing is I doubt we're getting Reach this year so it's still going to be some waiting for quite a while lol. Which is fine as long as it works but still.
I agree. I can deal with 1 halo game. It will keep me occupied for a very long time until the other games come out. The biggest thing I'm interested inside the games are the campaign. Multiplayer is another thing that's going to keep my fuel running, but I would like to use mods in the campaign. I remember on a JTAG X360, you could mod vehicles, i think weapons, ammo, and some other stuff. I would like to do all that stuff in the campaign if the game allows you to. I wish they can at least release the game with the campaign and firefight while they work on multiplayer to keep us all running, but apparently that is not going to happen.

I agree. I can deal with 1 halo game. It will keep me occupied for a very long time until the other games come out. The biggest thing I'm interested inside the games are the campaign. Multiplayer is another thing that's going to keep my fuel running, but I would like to use mods in the campaign. I remember on a JTAG X360, you could mod vehicles, i think weapons, ammo, and some other stuff. I would like to do all that stuff in the campaign if the game allows you to. I wish they can at least release the game with the campaign and firefight while they work on multiplayer to keep us all running, but apparently that is not going to happen.
Exactly how I feel when it comes to 1 game being out making it way easier to wait. I am interested to see if Mod Support actually does become a thing and as to how it would work. There's a lot of possibilities when mixing Halo and mods.
it is already " fireflight " so to be honest it can come really fast maybe 1 month ????
I personally believe it will, they've made great progress in the recent months.
I can wait anyways. Reach is a title we shouldn't worry about because they are already in the process of developing it for PC. If anything, you should wonder when the other titles will release for PC. We won't be getting Halo CE, 2, 3, ODST, or 4 for a while.
  1. 1
  2. ...
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. 4
  6. 5
  7. ...
  8. 13